What are you having to eat for christmas?

Options

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,703 Member
    Options
    The unconventional Christmas dinner at our place will be tapas/pesticos. Presunto, choricou, some sheep's cheese we dragged back from vacation in Portugal, Portuguese carrots in garlic vinaigrette, grilled courgette, grilled prawns, baked drumsticks, potato wedges, alioli, homemade mojama, duck proscuitto, padron peppers and bread. Probably a Spanish tortilla as well. Dessert will be dried figs poached in wine served over a yoghurt based frozen parfait.
  • RHPSgirl1984
    RHPSgirl1984 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    We wI'll be visiting family so for sure there will be ham, raw vegetables, green beans, cornbread, sweet potatoes, rolls and probably some kind of cheesy potato. I'm looking forward to the ham, green beans and sweet potatoes.
  • CraigShift
    CraigShift Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Field Roast Celebration Roast, Mashed taters, green beans, broccoil, mushroom gravy.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Christmas Eve: Prime rib not sure on sides yet
    Christmas: Lasagna
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    Christmas Eve : Traditional Danish Christmas dinner.. of which I will not have any since none of it will be vegan :( so ill just bring whatever i feel like for me
    Christmas Day: All vegan Christmas - Danish pancakes for breakfast & then....not having a tofurky this year because i dont feel like it but lots of mashed potatoes,sage & onion gravy,mac&cheese,lots of stuffing,squash,fresh bread,buns,homemade carrot cake,caramel apple crisp & icecream,candy cane rice dream ice cream sundaes, various snacks & chips
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    For the main course I know that we're having at least two kinds of Chili, meatballs, usually baked macaroni, homemade crab dip, maybe deviled eggs, & not sure on the rest.

For dessert we always make dirt dessert, we'll have various cookies, & a Pumpkin Roll that I know of.
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,769 Member
    Options
    Chinese food and movie theater popcorn. What else do Jews eat on Christmas?

Actually, this year we are invited to spend the day with friends, so we will be having a "real" Christmas dinner...not sure what they are making.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    My sister hosts Christmas dinner and it will probably just be tamales and rice. :(

I'm just looking forward to making myself sick with deserts.
  • blueakama
    blueakama Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Wow what a huge response. You guys sure know how to celebrate :) and there are more than a few people I'd love to visit for Christmas to taste all their inspiring dishes.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    sauerbraten with spatzle and rottkraut
  • fmcg1982
    fmcg1982 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am having a load of family for breakfast on Christmas day, we are having:

melon
    bacon
    lorne sausages
    link sausages
    black pudding
    cinnamon swirls
    pain au chocolate
    smoked salmon
    potato scones
    eggs of some sort
    toast

For dinner I will go to my mother in law's where she will cook

Chicken and rice soup
    Turkey
    ham
    roast potatoes
    veg
    desert

I can't wait.
  • angelinhell
    angelinhell Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm out for Christmas DInner so it's 6 courses!
    Duck parfait with sultana bread
    Champagne sorbet
    Mushroom and goat's cheese wellington
    Creme brulee
    Cheese and biscuits
    Coffee and mince pie (though I hate mince pies)

I'm gonna be sick!
  • Spanander
    Options
    Actually I don't know yet!
    I'm celebrating christmas with my boyfriends family and they tend to eat veeery oldschool foods (lots of double cream, full fat milk, butter etc) but because I am a vegetarian, we're going to make something special for me. I'm thinking maybe a sweetpotato cinnamon casserole which I personally think sounds heavenly. And then there's a danish tradition of either eating rice porridge (basically milk and rice boiled, topped with cinnamon sugar) or Risalamande which is rice porridge mixed with heavy cream and almonds and vanilla sugar. :neutral_face: I don't really like that though and they make their rice porridge way to thick for my liking, so my mom's come to my rescue by freezing down a portion of her rice porridge (made with semi skimmed milk and water) which I like much better, so I'll have that for dessert.
    As far as chocolate, cookies, and other sorts of treats, I have no idea what I'll dig into! Will be depending on my mood :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Well we're going to see family after all, so who knows. So much for keeping it healthy (I honestly couldn't care less about the main meal at Christmas... I just want dessert and cookies LOL). Still making my chestnut cream Yule log though.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    I'll be forced to eat everything.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    blueakama wrote: »
    I'm mostly looking forward to trying heston blumenthal pudding with custard.

The hidden orange one? We've had that for the last couple of years and it is lovely.

My wife has had the Christmas cake on the go for much of the year, surreptitiously plying it with alcohol when I am out of sight apparently...
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Everything.

Hahaha.

Seriously though, no idea about Xmas eve or Xmas dinner yet, but Xmas Morning will have glorious Monkeybread... and that's all I need/want.
  • StraubreyR
    StraubreyR Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Haven't heard this one mentioned yet--Having Tortiere with home made fruit ketchup!
  • ncwingnut71
    ncwingnut71 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Prime rib roast, baked sweet potatoes, salad, asparagus, deviled eggs, some kind of cranberry compote (daughter wants something with mandarin oranges and cranberry....trying to find a recipe) and maybe and apple pie.

Christmas Eve is finger food....cheese and crackers, meatballs, sandwiches.
  • tamawamara
    tamawamara Posts: 224 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Christmas Eve / w/ Mom ,Kids and Hubby:
    Stove Top Chicken Cacciatore over Egg Noodles a la Betty Crocker.
    Crusty bread
    Mesclun Salad +/ or Simply Steamed green beans
    Wine
    Mom's Cookies for Dessert.

Christmas Day w/ Brother in Law:
    Spiral Ham, Potatoes of some sort, corn, peas, biscuits.
    Dessert/ goodies at my Families house:
    Assorted Cookies and pies
    Wine and Other assorted Spirits
    Day after: Alka seltzer and sleeping in.