Don't know what to do now...

Options
So I've just come back from an appointment with a physiotherapist and she basically told me I should probably stop with weights and running. I have some lady problems and when she said that I just cried.

Lifting has been the only thing I've enjoyed in a long time and I just feel so sad! What am I supposed to do now? Apparently things like cycling, swimming and using the cross trainer are all perfectly acceptable but they're also incredibly boring to me. I just don't know what I'm supposed to do. I guess I finally have some sort of incentive to try spin, but I'm not even that psyched about it.

Anyway, I'm just looking for some new suggestions of fun exercise. I've already had to give up judo and now lifting because of this *kitten* inconvenience in my life!

P.S. So sorry about the rant...

Replies

• mbcaldwell123
    mbcaldwell123 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Do you have to stop permanently or just until you get your lady problems resolved? Hopefully it is the latter! I tried a Zumba class last night. I was so far out of my comfort zone that I scared to death!!!! It was a very fun and challenging class. Maybe something along those lines would help you not expire from the boredom.
  • RebeccaChemmy
    RebeccaChemmy Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Do you have to stop permanently or just until you get your lady problems resolved? Hopefully it is the latter! I tried a Zumba class last night. I was so far out of my comfort zone that I scared to death!!!! It was a very fun and challenging class. Maybe something along those lines would help you not expire from the boredom.

Only until it's all sorted out. But given that I've had these problems for 17 years it may still be a while. :pensive:
    Zumba does seem fun, but I'd probably want to do that with friends. It seems like something you sign up to with friends. :p
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I've been told second opinions are a great thing.
  • RebeccaChemmy
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

My consultant already said that and I was hoping she would disagree. Apparently not.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Zumba does seem fun, but I'd probably want to do that with friends. It seems like something you sign up to with friends. :p

Make new friends. Zumba people are friendly. ;-)
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm sorry to hear that. Kind of unusual, to me anyway. It seems odd that you can do cardio-type of exercise but can't lift weights. Then again, I don't know your exact issue and certainly am not trying to pry.

Have you had the same doctor and/or the same diagnosis for those 17 years? I agree with a 2nd opinion or perhaps a different approach to handling it. Either way, I hope you are able to feel better soon!
  • dbmata
    Options
    A quality physio would be able to give you precise details on how long an expected course of treatment is, potential impacts to your life, and should be competent enough to discuss how to modify or adjust current activities in order to continue with them, unless they'd be deleterious in effect to an overall sound structure.

Find that physio.
  • RebeccaChemmy
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Well, I'm sorry to hear that. Kind of unusual, to me anyway. It seems odd that you can do cardio-type of exercise but can't lift weights. Then again, I don't know your exact issue and certainly am not trying to pry.

Have you had the same doctor and/or the same diagnosis for those 17 years? I agree with a 2nd opinion or perhaps a different approach to handling it. Either way, I hope you are able to feel better soon!

I think she was getting at doing cardio that doesn't put stress on the pelvis, which was why she was keen to get me to do swimming. Maybe I'll have to, but that doesn't mean I'll enjoy it.
    I've had different doctors over the years but the same diagnosis.
    A quality physio would be able to give you precise details on how long an expected course of treatment is, potential impacts to your life, and should be competent enough to discuss how to modify or adjust current activities in order to continue with them, unless they'd be deleterious in effect to an overall sound structure.

Find that physio.

To be fair to her, she couldn't do an examination because it's my lady week. So far the methods she's tried haven't worked but that doesn't mean she's just giving up. She's figuring out new things to try.

And she said with weights I could go lighter with more reps but when the goal is to get stronger that's not really going to help...
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    And she said with weights I could go lighter with more reps but when the goal is to get stronger that's not really going to help...

Maybe but something is better than nothing. Going lighter with more reps won't cause you to lose your muscle at least.

Is it high impact stuff that you can't do? If so then I agree with maybe doing zumba or, if you can, yoga. I've been doing DDP/YRG Yoga (in addition to my lifting and cardio) and it kicks my butt.
  • dbmata
    Options

Let me ask you a question.

If you can do 135# in a lift for 4 reps. However, after training at 135# you can now do 6 reps, have you increased in strength? If your max for that lift was 185#, would you still be at 185#?
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of any "lady problem" that stops someone from being able to lift and run.

I would get a second or third opinion.
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    What lady problems do you have that prevents you from lifting, but not certain forms of cardio? I have pelvic problems as well. Permanent SI joint dysfunction and lifting (properly and safely) is the only thing that helps me manage the pain (besides very powerful narcotics).
  • RebeccaChemmy
    Options
    I've never heard of any "lady problem" that stops someone from being able to lift and run.

Of course I can still do it, I just won't be doing my pelvic floor any favours in the process.
    DjinnMarie wrote: »
    What lady problems do you have that prevents you from lifting, but not certain forms of cardio? I have pelvic problems as well. Permanent SI joint dysfunction and lifting (properly and safely) is the only thing that helps me manage the pain (besides very powerful narcotics).

My pelvic floor muscles are incredibly weak but also really tight. I have really bad urinary incontinance at the very old age of 20 and sometimes I can't do simple things like walk down a hill without leaking. Doctors say I am too young for surgery so keep sending me back for physiotherapy, but nothing seems to be working.

If I was 45 and pushed out 3 kids I'd probably just do it anyway because it would be a normal thing to happen to a woman like that, but I'm only 20 and really want to get the problem fixed rather than make it worse.

• DjinnMarie
    edited December 2014
    Options

Of course I can still do it, I just won't be doing my pelvic floor any favours in the process.

My pelvic floor muscles are incredibly weak but also really tight. I have really bad urinary incontinance at the very old age of 20 and sometimes I can't do simple things like walk down a hill without leaking. Doctors say I am too young for surgery so keep sending me back for physiotherapy, but nothing seems to be working.

If I was 45 and pushed out 3 kids I'd probably just do it anyway because it would be a normal thing to happen to a woman like that, but I'm only 20 and really want to get the problem fixed rather than make it worse.

Squats (done properly) is one of the best things you can do for your pelvic floor.
    I'm 31 and pushed out three kids and don't leak. Thanks squats.

Get a second opinion.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

This is a red flag. If a doctor tells you you are too young for surgery, you definitely need to get another opinion. The surgery to fix urinary incontinence is minimally invasive. Most patients I've had who have had the procedure are in and out in the same day. There's absolutely no reason why you cannot have the procedure.

What doctors (speciality) have you seen? Have you seen a urologist or a urogynecologist? If not, you need to ask your PCP to give you a referral.

For many women, the pelvic floor does not work as well as it should. Do you know what the cause is of your pelvic floor disorder and urinary incontinence? The most common causes in women are endometriosis, PID (pelvic inflammatory disease), fibroids, Interstitial cystitis, and colitis.
  • charlenelockhart7509
    Options
    By the sounds of it rebecca we have the same problem, they think mine is endometriosis and i must admit when i try to lift it kills, I have started doing zumba online at home. x
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

second the second opinion.

also- there is no way zumba is going to work for you if you have a leaking problem that allows you not to lift.

I mean- I get it- bracing causes leakage- even with people who have no problems and slap on a belt it's going to happen... but - zumba involves jumping.

no way lifting is harder on you than that is.

I'd be seeing other professionals- if they can't fix the problem with that they are doing- they need to do something else- and that may mean surgery. Push the issue.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options

This. Obviously a doctor should know better than us about if you should be lifting or not. My mum got loads of conflicting advice so just said sod it. Get a second opinion.
  • RebeccaChemmy
    Options
    This is a red flag. If a doctor tells you you are too young for surgery, you definitely need to get another opinion. I would contact the Mayo clinic.
    JoRocka wrote: »

also- there is no way zumba is going to work for you if you have a leaking problem that allows you not to lift.

I mean- I get it- bracing causes leakage- even with people who have no problems and slap on a belt it's going to happen... but - zumba involves jumping.

I'd be seeing other professionals- if they can't fix the problem with that they are doing- they need to do something else- and that may mean surgery. Push the issue.

I'm in the UK. I assume the Mayo clinic is in America, right? My doctor and physiotherapist say that I shouldn't be having surgery because if I decide to have kids it will completely reverse it, I could end up needing catheters for life, etc. Also, it's very hard to get different doctors here. I'd have to go through the whole waiting times and stuff all over again.
  • DjinnMarie
    Options
    This is a red flag. If a doctor tells you you are too young for surgery, you definitely need to get another opinion. I would contact the Mayo clinic.
    JoRocka wrote: »

I'm in the UK. I assume the Mayo clinic is in America, right? My doctor and physiotherapist say that I shouldn't be having surgery because if I decide to have kids it will completely reverse it, I could end up needing catheters for life, etc. Also, it's very hard to get different doctors here. I'd have to go through the whole waiting times and stuff all over again.

I'm just going to put this here.

http://breakingmuscle.com/womens-fitness/more-squats-and-fewer-kegels-what-your-pelvic-floor-really-wants