weight check!!

Options
Weekly how many kgs should I lose in a week is recommended??

Height: 155.6cm.
Weight: 66.7kgs.
Exericse Duration: 1 hour.
Calories consuming: 1000-1200.
Calories burning: around 400.

Replies

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    You're about my height and weight, but much younger. And I'd say that you're eating too little. Eating so few calories may be depriving your body of valuable nutrition, and also might leave you feeling hungry, fatigued, and with insufficient energy to work out effectively. Also, if you're 20 years old, while you're likely not growing anymore, your bones are still gaining density and mass, and you don't want to short-circuit that process since it can cause health issues later in life.

If you're exercising an hour a day at moderately high intensity, at your height and weight, your estimated TDEE according to various online calculators is likely somewhere in the neighbourhood of 1900-2100. Remember that this is JUST an estimate -- your actual number might be higher or lower than this -- but that gives you a good starting point.

Deduct 20% from this to get to a healthy rate of weight loss. That would put your net calories at about 1500-1700 per day, which should give you a rate of loss of about 0.3-0.4kg/week, which is healthy and sustainable for you. Note that this is *net* calories, i.e. don't eat back exercise calories on top of this. Try this for a month or so, log and track, and see how much weight you lose, and then adjust accordingly.

Remember to adjust this every 5kg of loss or so.
  • ZainabHafeedh
    ZainabHafeedh Posts: 66 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    segacs wrote:
    You're about my height and weight, but much younger. And I'd say that you're eating too little. Eating so few calories may be depriving your body of valuable nutrition, and also might leave you feeling hungry, fatigued, and with insufficient energy to work out effectively. Also, if you're 20 years old, while you're likely not growing anymore, your bones are still gaining density and mass, and you don't want to short-circuit that process since it can cause health issues later in life.

If you're exercising an hour a day at moderately high intensity, at your height and weight, your estimated TDEE according to various online calculators is likely somewhere in the neighbourhood of 1900-2100. Remember that this is JUST an estimate -- your actual number might be higher or lower than this -- but that gives you a good starting point.

Deduct 20% from this to get to a healthy rate of weight loss. That would put your net calories at about 1500-1700 per day, which should give you a rate of loss of about 0.3-0.4kg/week, which is healthy and sustainable for you. Note that this is *net* calories, i.e. don't eat back exercise calories on top of this. Try this for a month or so, log and track, and see how much weight you lose, and then adjust accordingly.

Remember to adjust this every 5kg of loss or so.

Thanks a lot for the concern :)
    Do u mean that I am exercising a lot?? What is TDEE?

Im exercising 5 times a week for an hour:

-10 mins streching
    -30 mins skipping (rope jumping, moderate)
    -10 mins jogging at a place
    -10 mins dancing

This exercise is too much? Should I reduce it by doing half an hour instead of an hour??
  • segacs
    Options
    No, I'm saying eat more, not exercise less. Keep on exercising. Exercise is good!

Read this thread to get you started. It explains things like TDEE, energy expenditure, and how to calculate calories.

Good luck!
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    It is recommended that people not lose more than 1 to 2 lbs ( less than a kg) per week, no matter how much they have to lose. It is also recommended that women eat at least 1200 calories and men eat at least 1600 calories.
  • fancy34668
    Options
    im 42 and i have now 75 lbs to loose. just lost 25lbs my first month. i find that with my exercise it negates most if not all my daily calories. is this a good or a bad thing?
  • ZainabHafeedh
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    No, I'm saying eat more, not exercise less. Keep on exercising. Exercise is good!

Read this thread to get you started. It explains things like TDEE, energy expenditure, and how to calculate calories.

Good luck!

Thanks a lot :)
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    im 5ft 5 and 134lbs I eat around 1600 ive eaten more and less and this is where ive found my happy healthy balance is
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    im 42 and i have now 75 lbs to loose. just lost 25lbs my first month. i find that with my exercise it negates most if not all my daily calories. is this a good or a bad thing?

Are you saying that you are following the MFP method and then not eating back your calories so that you left with a net calorie consumption of close to zero?

If you are, and I hope you're not, Yes it is a a VERY BAD THING - you will not be fuelling your workouts, you will be losing more LBM than necessary which will result in long-term lower calorie requirements, you risk crashing and burning

MFP method does not include exercise - you need to eat them back

Exercise burns in the MFP database do however seem to overestimate - so you would need to assume you eat back 50% - 75% of the calories given

You need to eat to fuel your body
  • segacs
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal.

This is a decent rule of thumb for average-sized people, but remember that it doesn't take into account starting size or target weight. So a large, tall man could lose weight faster than the above rules, while a shorter, smaller woman like the OP would want to target a slower loss than above.
  • ZainabHafeedh
    Options
    What does "don't eat back your exercised/burned calories" mean????

Eating 1200 calories & burning 499 calories
  • Sued0nim
    Options

If your calorie burn is accurate then you should be eating 1699 calories

If your calorie burn is MFP database or machine produced then eat 1500-1600 calories
  • ZainabHafeedh
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

If your calorie burn is MFP database or machine produced then eat 1500-1600 calories

Okay mine is MFP. But I am eating the burned calories back, so what's the use of burning them?
  • Sued0nim
    edited December 2014
    Options

Okay mine is MFP. But I am eating the burned calories back, so what's the use of burning them?

Are you asking what's the use of exercise?

You don't need to exercise to lose weight you just need to eat at a calorie defecit

But there are many benefits of exercising
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options

When MFP gives you a number of calories to eat, based on how many pounds a week you said you want to lose, the idea there is that you will lose weight eating that amount of calories *even if you do ZERO exercise.* You are already at a calorie deficit, just by eating less food. So then when you exercise and burn off even more calories, it makes your calorie deficit bigger - sometimes MUCH bigger, sometimes much TOO big of a deficit. You're supposed to eat back at least a portion of the calories you burn off, so that the next time you want to exercise, you have the energy to do so (you've "fueled your next workout," in forum-speak).

That's how the MFP tool works: Your daily calorie intake alone, as set by MFP, is all you have to stick to in order to drop weight. Adding in exercise is great for health, but if you're going to do it you need to give your body the proper nutrition and fuel to keep up with it otherwise you are going to lose more muscle and other components of "lean body mass" that you don't want to be losing. (yes, you'll still lose some of that, it is inevitable, but the goal is to lose more fat than LBM by eating enough - specifically, enough protein - to maximize FAT loss and minimize the loss of lean mass)
  • ZainabHafeedh
    Options
    Phrick wrote: »

When MFP gives you a number of calories to eat, based on how many pounds a week you said you want to lose, the idea there is that you will lose weight eating that amount of calories *even if you do ZERO exercise.* You are already at a calorie deficit, just by eating less food. So then when you exercise and burn off even more calories, it makes your calorie deficit bigger - sometimes MUCH bigger, sometimes much TOO big of a deficit. You're supposed to eat back at least a portion of the calories you burn off, so that the next time you want to exercise, you have the energy to do so (you've "fueled your next workout," in forum-speak).

That's how the MFP tool works: Your daily calorie intake alone, as set by MFP, is all you have to stick to in order to drop weight. Adding in exercise is great for health, but if you're going to do it you need to give your body the proper nutrition and fuel to keep up with it otherwise you are going to lose more muscle and other components of "lean body mass" that you don't want to be losing. (yes, you'll still lose some of that, it is inevitable, but the goal is to lose more fat than LBM by eating enough - specifically, enough protein - to maximize FAT loss and minimize the loss of lean mass)

Okay. Got it now. Thanks a lot :)
  • ZainabHafeedh
    Options
    I am exercising regularly but I don't sweat enough. When you burn 499 calories you should sweat that much too. What's wrong??
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    how much you sweat is a really poor indicator of how well or how hard you're working out. Don't rely on that perception at all, not even a little bit.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    My husband never sweats, unless it's over 40C, even when he's at full tilt. Sweat means nothing.

And to give you a better idea of how you are hurting your body, I'm older, taller and weight about you and I eat at least 1800 calories net. YOU should be eating a lot more than me.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    I am exercising regularly but I don't sweat enough. When you burn 499 calories you should sweat that much too. What's wrong??

Not a thing is wrong, not everyone sweats.
    You say you're consuming 1000-1200, PLUS exercising? You should be consuming that 1200 plus at least half of your exercise calories. Thus 1200 plus 200 is 1400 calories a day, you should be eating.