Strength Testing, Bench Press.

Options

Replies

• civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Nolan1009 wrote: »
    Hit 3 sets of 5 @ 90 comfortably without a spotter this morning, that's definitely an all time best for me. Going to attempt 100 w/ a spotter this wknd.
    Nice job! And good luck on attempting a hondo this weekend too!
  • TFaustino67
    TFaustino67 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    Thanks Nate and good point - I'm on the same boat with Db and am still reading through. I'm currently on Cycle 2 week 1 - behind the curve but its the holidays..what are you gonna do

So you were on 5's week and you missed 4 reps? If you're only on your 2nd cycle and you're missing reps then I'm going to say that you set your Training Max too high.

Agreed. Although I'm thinking something else is wrong. If this is only cycle two, that means he got at least 5 reps last cycle but then only got 1 rep with just 5lbs added to the bar? Something's wrong there.

FWIW, when I can't make my required minimum reps for 5/3/1, I deload my training max about 10% and keep going.

It is possible, many variables with lifting. To me though a 2nd cycle failure usually represents the TM.

Honestly one of the best things I've read from Jim is his 5/3 Periodization and Programming. Basically you go ahead 5 cycles and then start back on the 3rd. Say your TM for the Press is 135 it would look like this

- Macro-cycle 1
    meso-cycle 1: 135
    meso-cycle 2: 140
    meso-cycle 3: 145
    meso-cycle 4: 150
    meso-cycle 5: 155

- Macro-cycle 2
    - meso-cycle 1: 145
    - 2: 150
    - 3: 155
    - 4: 160
    - 5: 165

It really does work and work well. I've had some good rep PR's and 1-rep PR off of this method. I know people criticize the slow addition of weight to the TM, and yes it is slow and gradual, but what people fail to realize is that your TM really has little to do with your 1-RM or absolute strength. It's more of a way to regulate your training and set yourself up for success.

Really interesting; yes, it certainly would be slower progression but still progression - I'll see what this looks like when incorporating. I'm afraid it might be too slow for my twentysomethingitis problem though but I may have to face the fact that I upped my TM a bit more than I care to admit - pride is a b@tch
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    I'm going to have to get a copy of the 531 second edition, but wow that looks like really slow progress.
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    BW- 270 lbs
    1RM BP- 450 lbs

And I have long arms. All about the leverage and decreasing distance to push.
  • redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    BR1986FB wrote: »
    BW- 270 lbs
    1RM BP- 450 lbs

Thats 1.66 BW... Beast!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    BW- 270 lbs
    1RM BP- 450 lbs

It may seem strange to many to hear that it's not about who is strongest but who can lift the most. Technique counts for a lot. Very nice lifts!
  • JaelenSnow
    JaelenSnow Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm going to have to get a copy of the 531 second edition, but wow that looks like really slow progress.

The five forward, three back progression isn't in 5/3/1 second edition. I've heard that Wendler does advocate it, but not first hand. I'm not sure where it came from. It may be some article other online. 2nd edition says to refigure your 1 rep max and do a new training max of 90 percent of that when you stall on a lift.

I haven't read Beyond 5/3/1 yet, so it's possible it's in there.

• civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    BW- 270 lbs
    1RM BP- 450 lbs

Get that chest up!

Nice lift!
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    JaelenSnow wrote: »

The five forward, three back progression isn't in 5/3/1 second edition. I've heard that Wendler does advocate it, but not first hand. I'm not sure where it came from. It may be some article other online. 2nd edition says to refigure your 1 rep max and do a new training max of 90 percent of that when you stall on a lift.

I know it's posted on his web-site, but I'm not sure if he posted it elsewhere.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options

Really interesting; yes, it certainly would be slower progression but still progression - I'll see what this looks like when incorporating. I'm afraid it might be too slow for my twentysomethingitis problem though but I may have to face the fact that I upped my TM a bit more than I care to admit - pride is a b@tch

Don't confuse slow progression of the TM with slow strength improvement. I recently hit 1-rep PR's that are all 30lbs+ better than my TM, one PR was actually 40lbs better than my TM. The TM has little to do with overall strength. The TM is a way to govern your training and set you up for success.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    JaelenSnow wrote: »

Thanks for the clarification.
  • redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Great info.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Tested max in team training today. Hit 72.5kg touch and go. Slowly closing the gap to body weight, 9.5kg left to go.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Alright, most of my lifts are stalling out, but I'm wondering what to do for specifically my bench press. Here's the thing. On my machine, I can only increase the weight in 10 pound increments (which results in a 19 pound difference in weight resistance), so it would be hard to follow a typical beginner program where I could add weight almost every workout. The last 4 workouts I've done I'm stalled at 10 reps for a particular weight. I think this is roughly 75% of my 1 rep max. My goal is strength and mass gain. I know fewer reps are generally recommended for strength, but I don't want to move up to the next weight and do 5 reps (which would be closer to 85% of my max). Should I just decrease the reps on this current weight down to like 6-8, even though I can do a little more?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    nm
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    Alright, most of my lifts are stalling out, but I'm wondering what to do for specifically my bench press. Here's the thing. On my machine, I can only increase the weight in 10 pound increments (which results in a 19 pound difference in weight resistance), so it would be hard to follow a typical beginner program where I could add weight almost every workout. The last 4 workouts I've done I'm stalled at 10 reps for a particular weight. I think this is roughly 75% of my 1 rep max. My goal is strength and mass gain. I know fewer reps are generally recommended for strength, but I don't want to move up to the next weight and do 5 reps (which would be closer to 85% of my max). Should I just decrease the reps on this current weight down to like 6-8, even though I can do a little more?

I recommend that you get to you college gym where you have more variety of weights and you should go to places like BodyBuilding.com and find a solid beginner workout. You are spinning your wheels and making all of the typical newbie mistakes. This isn't a knock against you since we've all been there, but if you really want those gains you mention and you want to stop making mistakes that are going to cost you in time and potential injury then you need to look at the resources that are out there. Get on a good novice program and then you can ask those questions and we will be better able to help you.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    1.5x bodyweight is 455lbs for me. I'm close but it'll take some time to get there. My bench press gains are pretty slow lately.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

So you can do 10 reps at this weight, and you want to reduce to 6-8 reps at the same weight? Why? What purpose could that possibly serve? Increase reps or increase weight. Better yet, don't use a machine if at all possible. Even just incremental loading will be so much easier. 10lbs per jump is pretty high.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options

If you can do 10 reps of a weight then bump the weight up and do 6-8. Anything more than 8 reps and the weight is probably too light for you to be getting strength gains.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I'm doubtful that I can do 6-8 reps at the next weight. That's the issue with 10 pound increments. As it is, 10 reps is a struggle at the weight I'm using (I can't push the bar with the same amount of speed as my first few reps). And even if I can do 6-8 reps at the next weight, I'm concerned about the safety of doing so given how much closer it would put me to my max.