Replies

• Tammy_1971
    Tammy_1971 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Looks really good. Thanks for the post.
  • consideritdonemi
    consideritdonemi Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about looking up a recipe for egg muffins and here one was today on MFP. Synchronicity!

I was a horrible omelette maker too until a few months ago, actually. I found the trick for me was a well-greased pan set over a little under medium heat, pouring in the egg and milk mixture, letting it cook and set some for a few minutes. THEN I add my chopped additions and cheeses (veggies & either 2% shredded cheddar or reduced fat feta). Now I cover the pan with a lid, let cook covered with lid till things look mostly set, but not quite, then take up the edge on one side with a small spatula and flip that half on top of the other, cover again for a few minutes and turns out awesome. Oh, and I use a small (8 inch?) pan. I tend to make 3 egg (2 whites and 1 egg) omelettes. With all the fillings it turns out to be good for 2 nice meal servings for a chick.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I've been thinking about looking up a recipe for egg muffins and here one was today on MFP. Synchronicity!

I was a horrible omelette maker too until a few months ago, actually. I found the trick for me was a well-greased pan set over a little under medium heat, pouring in the egg and milk mixture, letting it cook and set some for a few minutes. THEN I add my chopped additions and cheeses (veggies & either 2% shredded cheddar or reduced fat feta). Now I cover the pan with a lid, let cook covered with lid till things look mostly set, but not quite, then take up the edge on one side with a small spatula and flip that half on top of the other, cover again for a few minutes and turns out awesome. Oh, and I use a small (8 inch?) pan. I tend to make 3 egg (2 whites and 1 egg) omelettes. With all the fillings it turns out to be good for 2 nice meal servings for a chick.

You've inspired me to have another go at making an omelette! Never tried the lid thing. I'll try it night. I'm either going to have a perfect omelette for dinner, or ramped up scrambled eggs! :D

• 42carrots
    42carrots Posts: 97 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    So I experimented with this recipe a little bit more and this came out with really good results. It's completely crammed with vegetables to the point where I thought it wouldn't turn out, but somehow it does, and tastes kind of amazing. This recipe makes 6 pretty big sized muffins at only 125 calories each. So you can eat 3 of them at a time and it comes in at under 400 calories, even though they look and taste like they should each have that much. If you wanted to make them a little more substantial you could use more sausage and/or eggs (veggie or real, whatever you like to eat) and just cut out a bit of veg, sprinkling more cheese on top would probably be great, too. Oh, and I'd highly recommend getting a silicone muffin pan, I have a couple 6 muffin pans and I don't even need to use any kind of oil to grease them, the muffins mostly just come right out.

jell9vf0emmc.jpg
  • mygnsac
    Options
    ^^ Nice break down!
  • 42carrots
    42carrots Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I don't worry too much about cholesterol as the only source I really get it from is eggs yolks, but using only egg whites could take care of that issue if it's a concern for you, and it would also make them extra low-fat. Eat a couple of these with some cottage cheese, toast, and maybe some extra green vegetables (I quickly saute some broccoli and spinach in a pan in just water, red wine vinegar and some spices and eat on the side with some sauerkraut), and you'll be too full to move.
  • mygnsac
    Options
    They're good with a nice salad too! :)

ms00lu25rhik.jpg
  • Sherbear0123
    Sherbear0123 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    They look very yummy! Thank you for sharing. I want to try these.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    mygnsac wrote: »
    ^^ Nice break down!
    They're good with a nice salad too! :)

ms00lu25rhik.jpg
    That salad looks fab as well!!! :)
    ^^ Nice break down!
    I agree, thanks for the info!

• Hearts_2015
    edited December 2014
    Options

Oh someone's finally shared their omelet magic with us I see! :mrgreen: Thanks, gonna try this method out!

• Medilia
    Medilia Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I made these!

So yummy, can't get the egg out of my housemates baking tray though lol. I might just buy him a new one.
  • mygnsac
    Options
    ^ mine popped right out after I loosened the edges with a butter knife and I was using muffin pans that are older than time. Maybe I used more spray on it. I'm going to buy one of those silicone muffin pans someone mentioned above and see how that works without spraying at all.
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I make these all the time, all kinds of varieties! They're amazing.
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    ^ mine popped right out after I loosened the edges with a butter knife and I was using muffin pans that are older than time. Maybe I used more spray on it. I'm going to buy one of those silicone muffin pans someone mentioned above and see how that works without spraying at all.
    It must have something to do with the spray (maybe not enough is being used?) more so than the pans.. I know some pans are better than others but...still.

I recall when everything went silicone in the pan world. Cupcake tins, cookie sheets, cake pans etc. etc. Next thing I knew I couldn't find any thing silicone... wondering if it all got recalled due to what it was made of??? I do see some out now but it's name brand for cupcakes etc. I'd love to own some but just rarely see it.

Anyone else notice this or am I Living in my own tiny world of no silicone? lol

Oh that would be frustrating to get all done and have to figure out how to scrape them out of the pan.. I had pictured putting a bit of EVOO on a paper towel and lightly oiling them or using my EVOO Misto.

For those of you having issues with getting them out...what method did you use for oiling the pans or did you?
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    vickee13 wrote: »
    Went to try these today, its hard to make them ......

when you have no eggs :\

Yeah, that would present a problem. ;)
    I'm out of milk :cry: will that pose a problem or can I sub in water? I don't typically use milk when I make scrambled eggs but I know this is different. How do you think it'd turn out?

I should wait to make them until I get milk? Or

I wouldn't use water in this.

Yeah, I'd wait to get milk.
    K thanks lol
    ta - da! I now have Milk, I'm closer than ever to actually making them now! I'm thinking of picking up some bacon to put in the pan so the muffins wrap around them. That sounds yum! :p
  • mygnsac
    edited December 2014
    Options

I'm out of milk :cry: will that pose a problem or can I sub in water? I don't typically use milk when I make scrambled eggs but I know this is different. How do you think it'd turn out?

K thanks lol
    ta - da! I now have Milk, I'm closer than ever to actually making them now! I'm thinking of picking up some bacon to put in the pan so the muffins wrap around them. That sounds yum! :p

Let us know how they turn out if you do the bacon wrap. I looked at some images on Google and they bacon looks under done. I rarely have bacon in the house, but if they turn out, I may have to go get some. :)

• mygnsac
    Options
    It must have something to do with the spray (maybe not enough is being used?) more so than the pans.. I know some pans are better than others but...still.

I recall when everything went silicone in the pan world. Cupcake tins, cookie sheets, cake pans etc. etc. Next thing I knew I couldn't find any thing silicone... wondering if it all got recalled due to what it was made of??? I do see some out now but it's name brand for cupcakes etc. I'd love to own some but just rarely see it.

Anyone else notice this or am I Living in my own tiny world of no silicone? lol

Oh that would be frustrating to get all done and have to figure out how to scrape them out of the pan.. I had pictured putting a bit of EVOO on a paper towel and lightly oiling them or using my EVOO Misto.

For those of you having issues with getting them out...what method did you use for oiling the pans or did you?

Go to Amazon and search for "silicone muffin pan" and there are ton of them listed. :)

• Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    There are similar muffins in the Wheat Belly cookbook and those were delicious. I put home made crumbled turkey sausage, broccoli, sun dried tomatoes and cheese in mine, or any veggies that I have in the fridge really. Delicious and they freeze and reheat so well. I love my silicone pan, it makes cleaning much easier. Here in Canada you can buy the pans at Walmart or Canadian Tire. Hey Santa! :)
  • JazzFischer1989
    JazzFischer1989 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Definitely trying this tomorrow now that our oven is up and running again. I just need to get a muffin pan. I'm gonna try it with pepperjack cheese, spinach and kale.

This would still work well with egg whites only, yes? I make quiche with egg whites and it still rises, but just wanted to be sure since egg-to-ingredient ratio is a little different.
  • Hearts_2015
    edited December 2014
    Options

K thanks lol

Let us know how they turn out if you do the bacon wrap. I looked at some images on Google and they bacon looks under done. I rarely have bacon in the house, but if they turn out, I may have to go get some. :)
    I make a similar recipe. They freeze well.
    Sometimes I make them with 1/2 slice of bacon. You just wrap the bacon around the muffin cup (I microwave it for about 20 seconds first, we like our bacon crisp) then fill with the egg/veggie mixture. No need to spray the cups when using the bacon.
    I'm relying on this post from page 1 to do the bacon and not have it undercooked.

But I sure will let everyone know how it turns out!

Go to Amazon and search for "silicone muffin pan" and there are ton of them listed. :)
    <3 Thanks!