What was your rate of weight loss?

Options

Replies

• SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    i844xgjwj13j.jpg

Here's my last 180 days of daily weights. I started back in May at 209 lbs for reference (since this chart starts in June).

My rate has been extremely variable, but it averages out to 1.11 lbs per week.
  • Spanander
    Options
    I've lost around 1.2 lbs pr week for a while
  • Paul_Collyer
    Paul_Collyer Posts: 160 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I've had 4 stints on MFP.

Sept 12-June 13 - the biggest drop. Exercise consisted of walking an hour most days plus the odd game of squash until March when I took up running.

Sept 13-Xmas 13 - slower drop. I got way too obsessed with silly stuff like protein drinks and also had too much of a deficit.

March 14-July 14 - similar story. But from January through May I was in marathon training and got fitter as well as heavier ;-)

Sept 14 - present - similar drop to initial. Back to similar deficit to the initial phase, and reduced sugar and carbs while increasing fat. Am also still doing lots of running and a bit of cycling & gym.

0689wan7q7kb.png
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I am down to 10 pounds every 3 months now. In the beginning it came off a lot faster but it has definitely slowed down. It was frustrating at first but has taught me to focus more on other aspects of fitness, such as better physical conditioning and increased strength.
  • amunet07
    amunet07 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Bump (to remind myself slower than average is still an average)
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    My high weight was 256 back in June. I started making some lifestyle changes, and by the time I started here on Aug 16 I was down to 244.8, so I lost about half a pound a week. Since starting here my weight loss has been pretty steady at 1.9 lbs/week. I still have about 60-70 lbs to go!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I set my goal, exercise burn, and calorie intake tracker for one pound of weight loss per week. In the end, that is exactly what things averaged out to be. However, I remember there were weeks that seemed to flatline and stagnate, and there were weeks that I dropped more than a pound. Yet, it all worked as planned - average of one pound per week until the goal was met.

I am in maintenance mode now which requires constant vigilance as well....

I'm not yet in maintenance, but close, and this was how it went for me too. I set up my goal to lose 1.5 lb per week and for my first 15-16 months on MFP it averaged out to EXACTLY that amount, even though not every single week was an exact 1.5 loss.

I then set to 1 lb/week as I reached some of my initial goals, and have found that my loss is much slower the closer I get to maintenance. For several months now I'm only losing around 1 lb/month, or a little over that. I'm good with it, but it's definitely a noticeable difference from the early days here.

• BetterThanExpected
    BetterThanExpected Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    About two years ago I lost 56lbs in six months. Gained some of it back though (thankfully not all of it). I am the exact same weight I was a year ago, lmfao. I gained like 23.8lbs and then lost it again in about five months.
  • Paul_Collyer
    Paul_Collyer Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    ntnunk wrote: »
    kailadriel wrote: »
    I keep a spreadsheet on Google Docs that I record my daily weight into. The spreadsheet then averages my weight for the week. I don't worry too much about daily weight and I use the average weekly weight as my "true" weight, or my gauge of progress.

This is brilliant and I am stealing this idea - thank you!

Welcome. I actually have the doc shared if you wish. It's the 2014 version so it'll need to be changed soon. Just save a copy. Enter weight in Column C, Column D will average for the week on the Sunday row when there is at least one value entered for the week. I typically just do this from my phone as soon as I step off the scale.

That is superb thanks :)
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks everyone for sharing! Looks like there are lots of chart and graph data heads here.
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    Wow, thanks everyone for sharing! Looks like there are lots of chart and graph data heads here.
    I freely admit to being a data geek for both fun and profit. I will add, however, that I think having the data has saved me a few times. There have been times when I've been frustrated and felt like I was making no progress. When that happens pulling up my spreadsheet and analyzing the data shows me unequivocally that I'm wrong, I am making progress, and I can see numbers and graphs that prove it. Emotions and frustrations can lie to you but the data never does.

• segacs
    Options
    I freely admit to being a data geek for both fun and profit. I will add, however, that I think having the data has saved me a few times. There have been times when I've been frustrated and felt like I was making no progress. When that happens pulling up my spreadsheet and analyzing the data shows me unequivocally that I'm wrong, I am making progress, and I can see numbers and graphs that prove it. Emotions and frustrations can lie to you but the data never does.

Oh yes, that is completely true for me, too! It's all about setting expectations. If I don't expect big weight loss numbers in short periods of time, I won't get discouraged when I don't see them.

FWIW, here's my chart so far through just over 2 months of weight loss. I've averaged 1.8lbs/week, but it was much faster in the first few weeks and is levelling off. The trendline here explains about 97% of the variation in data:

bpbfvua9vy56.jpg

I've also been trying to get a fix on my actual observed TDEE, as opposed to going by online calculators. This is a chart of a moving average 30-day TDEE based on actual calories consumed and weight lost, logged as accurately as I can manage. Lots of fluctuation, but as you can see it seems to be levelling off somewhere in the ~1900 range, which is actually higher than the ~1650 or so that MFP and most online calculators seem to suggest for my height, weight, age and activity level. So either I'm more active than I thought, or else it's still going to come down further before it levels off. Either way, it gives me a few more calories than the calculators do, which is really great when you're small like me:

i9x8gxoaqktm.jpg

• DanZiehm
    DanZiehm Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    My weight loss has been pretty significant. I have been on MFP for 201 days (approximately 29 weeks) and have dropped 76 pounds which equates to 2.6 pounds per week or 0.38 pounds per day. I have MFP set up for about a 1.9 pounds per week loss, but I have been exercising a lot more than I have accounted for in my MFP setup.
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    I've also been trying to get a fix on my actual observed TDEE, as opposed to going by online calculators. This is a chart of a moving average 30-day TDEE based on actual calories consumed and weight lost, logged as accurately as I can manage. Lots of fluctuation, but as you can see it seems to be levelling off somewhere in the ~1900 range, which is actually higher than the ~1650 or so that MFP and most online calculators seem to suggest for my height, weight, age and activity level. So either I'm more active than I thought, or else it's still going to come down further before it levels off. Either way, it gives me a few more calories than the calculators do, which is really great when you're small like me:

i9x8gxoaqktm.jpg
    Brilliant! I've done the "observed TDEE" estimations sort off-the-cuff. Why did I never think about graphing it? I hereby turn by data geek card over to you. And I'm totally swiping this idea!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Lost my 75 in around 6 months.
  • segacs
    Options
    Brilliant! I've done the "observed TDEE" estimations sort off-the-cuff. Why did I never think about graphing it? I hereby turn by data geek card over to you. And I'm totally swiping this idea!

The math isn't exact. Ideally, the TDEE graph would use the smoothed-out weights from the weight trendline, as opposed to the actual weights, to calculate. But trying to convert an Excel polynomial trendline equation (with only a few decimal points) to the actual version is presenting more of a problem than I thought it would. I'm still working on a way to do this easily.

And I'm trying to find a way to put my template online as a webapp or web calculator. Google Docs doesn't support most of the functions I've used, so I may have to figure out a workaround with the help of some of my web developer friends. Project for the new year. If and when I figure it out I'll be happy to share.
  • tsawrie
    tsawrie Posts: 34 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Love the graph! How did you determine your actual observed TDEE?
  • segacs
    Options
    tsawrie wrote: »
    Love the graph! How did you determine your actual observed TDEE?

The equation is fairly simple: Observed TDEE = ((Weight Lost in Lbsx3500)/(# of Days)) + Average Calories Consumed Per Day.

So, for instance, let's say you lost 3 pounds over the past 30 days and ate an average of 1500 calories in that time period. Your actual TDEE would be (3x3500)/30 + 1500 = 1850.

The tricky part is figuring out what time period to calculate it over. I've got an Excel sheet that calculates running moving TDEE for the past 7, 14, 30, 60, 90 days and since the start. I've found that the 7-day value fluctuates far too much to be of much use, and the 60-day number is new since I only recently hit the 60-day mark. Too long a time period won't be all that accurate for your current weight, especially if you're losing fast or changing up your exercise routine. Too short a time period won't smooth out fluctuations. I've been looking mostly at the 14- and 30-day numbers.

I suppose there's probably some way of using calculus to figure out a more accurate version, but this method has the advantage of being easy enough to calculate with simple arithmetic and, as long as I view it as a range instead of an exact number, puts me more or less in the ballpark.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    By design I've taken almost 12 months to lose 25lbs - wanted to make sure it was manageable this time and that I wasn't depriving myself in order to lose. I've also been lifting for the first time in my life, typically it was running and yoga.

I weigh myself daily out of interest - but only lately have I started logging it daily, because the closer I get to my goal, the wilder the daily fluctuations are.

xika6ht3db3m.png
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I go by month:

1: 19.7 pounds
    2: 7.4 pounds
    3. 6.4 pounds
    4. 11.8 pounds
    5. .2 pound gain
    6. 7 pounds
    7. 5.8 pounds

I calculate on the 23rd of every month. So far this month I've lost 5.8 pounds.

I started at 232.3 and I'm at 168.6 as of this morning (day 241).