Eating at restaurants used to be fun, now it's kind of stressful.

Options

Replies

• Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Ang108 wrote: »
    3 - The notion that one meal out is going to somehow be your undoing is ridiculous.

I think this is the trap/excuse so many people living in the US fall into. I am not singling the US out, but know from experience that many other countries are " cook & eat at home " cultures, where people only go out to eat on very special occasions.
    When you say " it's just one meal ", there is no way of knowing if that is one meal a day, a week, a month or a year, which makes the point moot.
    The newest USDA report on 2013 says that the average American eats 37 % of their calories away from home, which clearly indicates that people eat much more than " just one meal " in a restaurant.
    If consuming a third plus of their calories in restaurants then yes, the smart person would worry about each meal, because 35% is not small potatoes.

But if you are going out more often, you just need to pay more attention to your choices. You can still lose if you are eating out, it just takes some better decisions. Still no need to worry. All this worrying is going to cause more health problems than the damn meal out

Exactly. That is what I meant with: " the smart person would worry about each meal, because 35% is not small potatoes " as compared to the person who indicated that " don't worry about it, it's just one meal ". It looks like it is one meal of many for most Americans.
    I use the word " worry " in the sense of being concerned and being aware. Maybe it is not the right choice, but since I am not a native speaker of English I can't do much better, unless you suggest what word would be more appropriate.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    randomtai wrote: »
    I want french fries now instead of a salad... I mean they are equal right?

I have now found value in saying salad dressing = french fries.

If you dip your fries in ranch, did you just double down the salad value?

mind_blown_nph.gif
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    I want french fries now instead of a salad... I mean they are equal right?

If I didn't have a stomachache from amazing Mom & Pop pizza and waaaaay too many chocolate covered pretzels (also local), I'd join you on the fries. With BBQ sauce.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    3 - The notion that one meal out is going to somehow be your undoing is ridiculous.

I think this is the trap/excuse so many people living in the US fall into. I am not singling the US out, but know from experience that many other countries are " cook & eat at home " cultures, where people only go out to eat on very special occasions.
    When you say " it's just one meal ", there is no way of knowing if that is one meal a day, a week, a month or a year, which makes the point moot.
    The newest USDA report on 2013 says that the average American eats 37 % of their calories away from home, which clearly indicates that people eat much more than " just one meal " in a restaurant.
    If consuming a third plus of their calories in restaurants then yes, the smart person would worry about each meal, because 35% is not small potatoes.

Seeing as a lot of places do put out nutritional info and you can still find portions and foods similar to those meals from restaurants that don't...I don't see the problem. If you are still being consistent and balance out the week, then again, I don't see the problem.

I didn't say there was a problem. I just stated that people have to be aware of what they eat. Pretty much the same you are saying.
  • DerekVTX
    DerekVTX Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    jasonmh630 wrote: »
    DerekVTX wrote: »
    dawn0293 wrote: »
    Unfortunately everyone insisted on going to a local steakhouse no one had been to before for lunch. I got the smallest steak they offered because they said that they couldn't do the chicken without the sauce (I guess it must be premade and frozen that way?). I only took one bite of the garlic bread that they threw an entire loaf of on our plates and one small bite of the baked potato with butter. Ate all my salad, though. I can't do half at a restaurant unless I get kind of full. Honestly, I don't have that kind of willpower.

I still love to go to steak houses......I just tell them to please give me double steamed veggies (in lieu of Potato or Rice), and garden salad w/ a wedge of lemon (in lieu of salad dressing).......my motto is if your gonna have dressing on your salad then you may as well have french fries instead. :smiley:

Then I'd suggest getting a new motto. I feel dumber for having read that... Salad dressing is NOT the equivalent of french fries, when consumed in moderation (about 1-2 Tbsp) and if you think that's bad, then you need to reevaluate your knowledge of what is healthy.

Enjoy that 350 Calorie Salad at The Keg bud!......or even better have the 660 Calorie 44g fat Chicken Caesar Salad at Chilli's, or better yet go to the Olive Garden and enjoy their Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad and all its 850 Calories w/ 64grams of fat. Maybe you should re-evaluate your knowledge of what is healthy, just because it has lettuce in it and is called a salad doesn't make it healthy.

https://au.prime7.yahoo.com/q1/lifestyle/health/galleries/g/6756677/15-worst-restaurant-meals/6756739/
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    My hubby and I go to Disney World once or twice a month. Sometimes I eat whatever I want, sometimes I watch what I eat, even pick child's meals because that's all i am hungry for or cause I want to fit in a mickey soft pretzel, love those things. :)
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

But if you are going out more often, you just need to pay more attention to your choices. You can still lose if you are eating out, it just takes some better decisions. Still no need to worry. All this worrying is going to cause more health problems than the damn meal out

Exactly. That is what I meant with: " the smart person would worry about each meal, because 35% is not small potatoes " as compared to the person who indicated that " don't worry about it, it's just one meal ". It looks like it is one meal of many for most Americans.
    I use the word " worry " in the sense of being concerned and being aware. Maybe it is not the right choice, but since I am not a native speaker of English I can't do much better, unless you suggest what word would be more appropriate.

Mmmm small potatoes... those are like a salad.
  • court_alacarte
    court_alacarte Posts: 219 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    i ate potato skins AND cheese fries on monday and then jumped on the treadmill. i regret nothing as my scale congratulated me the next day with subtracting a pound from the previous day's number.

i'd take fries over a salad any day.
  • randomtai
    Options

Unfortunately everyone insisted on going to a local steakhouse no one had been to before for lunch. I got the smallest steak they offered because they said that they couldn't do the chicken without the sauce (I guess it must be premade and frozen that way?). I only took one bite of the garlic bread that they threw an entire loaf of on our plates and one small bite of the baked potato with butter. Ate all my salad, though. I can't do half at a restaurant unless I get kind of full. Honestly, I don't have that kind of willpower.

I still love to go to steak houses......I just tell them to please give me double steamed veggies (in lieu of Potato or Rice), and garden salad w/ a wedge of lemon (in lieu of salad dressing).......my motto is if your gonna have dressing on your salad then you may as well have french fries instead. :smiley:

Then I'd suggest getting a new motto. I feel dumber for having read that... Salad dressing is NOT the equivalent of french fries, when consumed in moderation (about 1-2 Tbsp) and if you think that's bad, then you need to reevaluate your knowledge of what is healthy.

Enjoy that 350 Calorie Salad at The Keg bud!......or even better have the 660 Calorie 44g fat Chicken Caesar Salad at Chilli's, or better yet go to the Olive Garden and enjoy their Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad and all its 850 Calories w/ 64grams of fat. Maybe you should re-evaluate your knowledge of what is healthy, just because it has lettuce in it and is called a salad doesn't make it healthy.

https://au.prime7.yahoo.com/q1/lifestyle/health/galleries/g/6756677/15-worst-restaurant-meals/6756739/

Mmmm that sounds delish.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    OMG I so understand what you mean. And when they do tell you a calorie count, it's usually way lower than the actual calories of the dish. They basically just lie about it. *cough*Applebees*cough*

Fortunately I can usually get out of going to restaurants without anyone questioning me by simply saying (truthfully enough) that I am broke and I need the money to pay the power bill or whatever.

If that's not feasible, look for a grilled chicken salad on the menu and tell them to put the dressing on the side. Pick out anything fattening like croutons or excessive cheese. Dip fork in dressing, then into salad, to get just a taste of dressing with each bite and not the whole fat loaded mess. This way you can be fairly certain not to be destroying your progress.
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options

And if you've set a reasonable calorie deficit, you can eat that salad. And fat isn't bad. So stop trying to make it sounds like fat is gonna freaking kill ya bud. You take the cheese from my Caesar salad, you're probably gonna get a fork in the hand. You can have the dressing solely because I don't care for Caesar dressing. But seriously, ate going to kill you
  • DerekVTX
    Options
    I rarely eat out (3 young kids) so when I do, I really don't care about the calories! I tend to stick to healthier options anyway, like chicken or fish and veg. If I'm eating out I'll make sure I've worked out that day.

Why not ask for a child's portion? I had lunch out at an Italian with a friend a couple of months ago, and we each asked for a child's portion of pasta.

Thats a great idea, restaurant portions are often enough for two anyways.
  • DerekVTX
    Options

Mmmm that sounds delish.

Ummmmmm yes it does.....no wait it does not....Caesar Salad is the devil :smile:
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options

Mmmm that sounds delish.

Ummmmmm yes it does.....no wait it does not....Caesar Salad is the devil :smile:

I feel sad for you that your view on food is so skewed that something as delicious as a Caesar Salad is "the devil"
  • DerekVTX
    Options
    603reader wrote: »

And if you've set a reasonable calorie deficit, you can eat that salad. And fat isn't bad. So stop trying to make it sounds like fat is gonna freaking kill ya bud. You take the cheese from my Caesar salad, you're probably gonna get a fork in the hand. You can have the dressing solely because I don't care for Caesar dressing. But seriously, ate going to kill you

Of course it will not kill you. But when you do have a large of weight to lose then it is important to make different decisions. Weight loss success for me has been a combination of multiple days where I made good choices and kept within my goals, yeah there are occasional days when I go over my goal by quite a bit. I just log it and move along and make the choices I need to the next day to stay within my goals. I have kids and once in a while there is no avoiding McDonalds, so instead of having the supersized Double Quarter Pounder w/Bacon and Cheese and a large Coke, I will have A quarter pounder (no cheese or bacon) and a bottle of water......and it doesn't blow my calorie budget which =another day of staying within my goals. :smiley:

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    and to all you cretins warbling about olive garden...

il_570xN.328015473.jpg

This is how you do it son!

Alright, the biscuits. But I see no one's coming out to defend their seafood and whatnot.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    64 inches, 38 years, and 137.4 and it's not just MFP that gave me 1200. No, I do not eat back exercise calories. If I was doing majorly intensive exercise, then I would eat back some but for the walks I do, not worth it.

[/quote]

Girl. 63 inches, 46 years, currently between 125-120 lbs due to fluctuations. Trying for between 120-115 for a safe margin. And also 1200 cals. MFP and my doctor and my nutritionist all agree upon that number. So just... if it helps at all, you are not alone. This is my hell too. Make friends with nonstarchy vegetables!

• DerekVTX
    Options
    603reader wrote: »

Mmmm that sounds delish.

I feel sad for you that your view on food is so skewed that something as delicious as a Caesar Salad is "the devil"

I feel sad for you that your view on hats..............JK, I like Beavers :smiley:
  • randomtai
    Options
    JK, I like Beavers :smiley:

Giggity.
  • lishie_rebooted
    edited December 2014
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    64 inches, 38 years, and 137.4 and it's not just MFP that gave me 1200. No, I do not eat back exercise calories. If I was doing majorly intensive exercise, then I would eat back some but for the walks I do, not worth it.

Girl. 63 inches, 46 years, currently between 125-120 lbs due to fluctuations. Trying for between 120-115 for a safe margin. And also 1200 cals. MFP and my doctor and my nutritionist all agree upon that number. So just... if it helps at all, you are not alone. This is my hell too. Make friends with nonstarchy vegetables!

Nutritionists aren't licensed and most doctors aren't very well versed on nutrition.
    The last PCP I saw wasn't happy with me because I rarely eat whole grains and thought 2k calories was too much for (it's not btw). So yeah, you want info on nutrition, go to an RD.