Eating at restaurants used to be fun, now it's kind of stressful.

Options

Replies

• DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    DerekVTX wrote: »
    I rarely eat out (3 young kids) so when I do, I really don't care about the calories! I tend to stick to healthier options anyway, like chicken or fish and veg. If I'm eating out I'll make sure I've worked out that day.

Why not ask for a child's portion? I had lunch out at an Italian with a friend a couple of months ago, and we each asked for a child's portion of pasta.

Thats a great idea, restaurant portions are often enough for two anyways.

They're not too bad here in England, but I've been to the US and the portion sizes were huge. Child portions are usually for children up to 12, so they're not too small. I usually get a child portion for my 2 eldest to share (age 5 and 3) because neither could eat a whole one, unless they haven't eaten all day!
  • Wondertje
    Wondertje Posts: 63 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Will probably get a lot of hate for this, but this is what I've done to cover my bases:

I've made personal foods for going out and eat, this is what I've made:

Restaurant - Salad 400 kcal
    Restaurant - Fish/Chicken 500 kcal
    Restaurant - Meat 600 kcal

Pizza - Margherita 1200 kcal
    Pizza - Orientale 1350 kcal
    Pizza - Greek Pizza 1500 kcal

The Pizza entries are based on many and even more sources of the calorie content of a regular pizza here in Sweden, and then I've taken different numbers on the scale for the different pizzas I usually eat. Basically, a Margherita is almost an empty pizza so it gets the lowest possible calories for a pizza. The Greek Pizza has plenty of feta cheese, onion, tomato and bell peppers so it gets a higher number. The Orientale is somewhere in between.

The Restaurant entries are more of somewhat arbitrary (but in my opinion reasonable) numbers. I first split the food in to the three different categories and then I decided that red meat probably has the most calories and will equal to half a margherita, then I lowered the calories for the other entries with 100 for each step. To me, these numbers are more than reasonable enough so that I don't freak out everytime I go out eating. I log these entries and then simply get on with my day.

Note: I do live in Sweden, where our food culture is very different from others. Especially I think we have a much lesser problem with hidden calories since we don't tend to use much oil/butter in our cooking, especially not in salads. On top of that, I don't eat out very often, maybe once or twice a week - so I don't really see a big problem with being off a little bit. Other than that, I basically just go Yolo Swag and then continue on my journey - haven't noticed any major downside so far.

Edit: Also, I haven't filled in any macros for these, because to be really honest, I'm not really checking macros that much. I eat under (or at) my calorie limit that is set for me to lose the weight I want to lose and I make sure that it's not ridiculously coming from one source - but other than that, I just go with the flow.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    jasonmh630 wrote: »
    dawn0293 wrote: »
    Unfortunately everyone insisted on going to a local steakhouse no one had been to before for lunch. I got the smallest steak they offered because they said that they couldn't do the chicken without the sauce (I guess it must be premade and frozen that way?). I only took one bite of the garlic bread that they threw an entire loaf of on our plates and one small bite of the baked potato with butter. Ate all my salad, though. I can't do half at a restaurant unless I get kind of full. Honestly, I don't have that kind of willpower.

I still love to go to steak houses......I just tell them to please give me double steamed veggies (in lieu of Potato or Rice), and garden salad w/ a wedge of lemon (in lieu of salad dressing).......my motto is if your gonna have dressing on your salad then you may as well have french fries instead. :smiley:

Then I'd suggest getting a new motto. I feel dumber for having read that... Salad dressing is NOT the equivalent of french fries, when consumed in moderation (about 1-2 Tbsp) and if you think that's bad, then you need to reevaluate your knowledge of what is healthy.

Enjoy that 350 Calorie Salad at The Keg bud!......or even better have the 660 Calorie 44g fat Chicken Caesar Salad at Chilli's, or better yet go to the Olive Garden and enjoy their Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad and all its 850 Calories w/ 64grams of fat. Maybe you should re-evaluate your knowledge of what is healthy, just because it has lettuce in it and is called a salad doesn't make it healthy.

https://au.prime7.yahoo.com/q1/lifestyle/health/galleries/g/6756677/15-worst-restaurant-meals/6756739/

Depending on what macros you are trying to meet plus calorie goal...what's unhealthy about this? Fat isn't bad for you, you know.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Wondertje wrote: »
    Will probably get a lot of hate for this, but this is what I've done to cover my bases:

I've made personal foods for going out and eat, this is what I've made:

Restaurant - Salad 400 kcal
    Restaurant - Fish/Chicken 500 kcal
    Restaurant - Meat 600 kcal

Pizza - Margherita 1200 kcal
    Pizza - Orientale 1350 kcal
    Pizza - Greek Pizza 1500 kcal

The Pizza entries are based on many and even more sources of the calorie content of a regular pizza here in Sweden, and then I've taken different numbers on the scale for the different pizzas I usually eat. Basically, a Margherita is almost an empty pizza so it gets the lowest possible calories for a pizza. The Greek Pizza has plenty of feta cheese, onion, tomato and bell peppers so it gets a higher number. The Orientale is somewhere in between.

The Restaurant entries are more of somewhat (but in my opinion) arbitrary numbers. I first split the food in to the three different categories and then I decided that red meat probably has the most calories and will equal to half a margherita, then I lowered the calories for the other entries with 100 for each step. To me, these numbers are more than reasonable enough so that I don't freak out everytime I go out eating. I log these entries and then simply get on with my day.

Note: I do live in Sweden, where our food culture is very different from others. Especially I think we have a much lesser problem with hidden calories since we don't tend to use much oil/butter in our cooking, especially not in salads. On top of that, I don't eat out very often, maybe once or twice a week - so I don't really see a big problem with being off a little bit. Other than that, I basically just go Yolo Swag and then continue on my journey - haven't noticed any major downside so far.

Only hate I have is that you used "yolo swag" lol

Margherita pizza is sooo good, especially when theres a bunch of fresh garlic on it
  • Wondertje
    edited December 2014
    Options
    603reader wrote: »

Margherita pizza is sooo good, especially when theres a bunch of fresh garlic on it

Off topic:
    It's my go-to-phrase when describing the thing I tried to describe, also when I don't know what to name things. My network is currently called YoloSwag1337 'cause I was out of ideas, I also have so many document files on the computer just randomly named things like Rawr, YoloSwag and RawrYolo you wouldn't believe, lol :p
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options

Off topic:
    It's my go-to-phrase when describing the thing I tried to describe, also when I don't know what to name things. My network is currently called YoloSwag1337 'cause I was out of ideas, I also have so many document files on the computer just randomly named things like Rawr, YoloSwag and RawrYolo you wouldn't believe, lol :p

Thank you for the chuckle.

I just don't like "yolo" "swag" "hater" "haters".
    They're all just so cringe-worthy
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Off topic:

QFT

• Wondertje
    Options

Off topic:

Ugh no, I don't go with haters. To be honest, I probably don't have the right feeling with Yolo or Swag, 'cause to me they're quite cute and sweet words, though the rest of the world doesn't agree because of 12-year old boys not knowing how to behave :p
  • Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with the OP's sentiments a bit. But I think servings/plates/portions have grown to huge amounts in recent years and this is culturally established as normal eating, at least in the USA. So that fuels the problem. I say, overindulge now and then, but mostly get used to eating what your body needs and enjoy the fact that you aren't cooking, serving, and cleaning up after making your own meal! :)
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I rarely eat out (3 young kids) so when I do, I really don't care about the calories! I tend to stick to healthier options anyway, like chicken or fish and veg. If I'm eating out I'll make sure I've worked out that day.

Why not ask for a child's portion? I had lunch out at an Italian with a friend a couple of months ago, and we each asked for a child's portion of pasta.

It's a good idea to do the research before ordering. If it's a chain, the info is probably already online or on MFP. You can budget calories ahead of time, but it might be a better idea not to show up at the restaurant hungry. On impulse I got a seniors spagetti at Denny's (spontaneous celebration, didn't plan ahead, had a busy day and hadn't ate much), assuming it would be lower calorie as it was on the seniors menu. When I got home, I found out it was 800 calories (and 40 grams of fat), and was barely able to fit it into my calories for the day. So, I used up a lot of calories to try out something that looked a lot better than it tasted. I would have been better off getting a grilled chicken salad, which I already knew tasted good (I've been eating a lot of salads on this diet). But do find ways to enjoy yourself. If you are eating out for an aniversary, or it has to do with the holiday season, keep in mind that there will be plenty of days of healthy to make up for it (a different kind of 80/20). And if your family gets impatient with your concerns I sympathize. Some people just don't get it...Good luck :)
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options

Off topic:

Ugh no, I don't go with haters. To be honest, I probably don't have the right feeling with Yolo or Swag, 'cause to me they're quite cute and sweet words, though the rest of the world doesn't agree because of 12-year old boys not knowing how to behave :p
    You also mentioned that you're in Sweden so I'm sure the culture surrounding those words is different than here in the US.
    I hear "Swag" and I think of the little d-bag Bieber with the crotch of his pants to his knees (I realize he's Canadian but Canada so smartly pawned him off =[ lol)
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Off topic:

You also mentioned that you're in Sweden so I'm sure the culture surrounding those words is different than here in the US.
    I hear "Swag" and I think of the little d-bag Bieber with the crotch of his pants to his knees (I realize he's Canadian but Canada so smartly pawned him off =[ lol)

Didn't he get returned, though?
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately everyone insisted on going to a local steakhouse no one had been to before for lunch. I got the smallest steak they offered because they said that they couldn't do the chicken without the sauce (I guess it must be premade and frozen that way?). I only took one bite of the garlic bread that they threw an entire loaf of on our plates and one small bite of the baked potato with butter. Ate all my salad, though. I can't do half at a restaurant unless I get kind of full. Honestly, I don't have that kind of willpower.

I still love to go to steak houses......I just tell them to please give me double steamed veggies (in lieu of Potato or Rice), and garden salad w/ a wedge of lemon (in lieu of salad dressing).......my motto is if your gonna have dressing on your salad then you may as well have french fries instead. :smiley:

Then I'd suggest getting a new motto. I feel dumber for having read that... Salad dressing is NOT the equivalent of french fries, when consumed in moderation (about 1-2 Tbsp) and if you think that's bad, then you need to reevaluate your knowledge of what is healthy.

Enjoy that 350 Calorie Salad at The Keg bud!......or even better have the 660 Calorie 44g fat Chicken Caesar Salad at Chilli's, or better yet go to the Olive Garden and enjoy their Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad and all its 850 Calories w/ 64grams of fat. Maybe you should re-evaluate your knowledge of what is healthy, just because it has lettuce in it and is called a salad doesn't make it healthy.

https://au.prime7.yahoo.com/q1/lifestyle/health/galleries/g/6756677/15-worst-restaurant-meals/6756739/

You assume that I'd rather go to those places and eat those items, except I made no insinuation of that... When in reality, I'd rather make my own salads at home so I can control what and exactly how much goes into it. The only point any of us are trying to make is that salad dressing isn't "bad for you" when you use just a little bit. One TBSP or maybe two is plenty to put on a big salad and still get the satisfaction of the dressing.

Moderation is key, fella. I've got the 50 pounds GONE to prove it. My brother has got the 170 pounds GONE to prove it... Along with numerous people on MFP.

The point is... Just because you deem it unhealthy, doesn't inherently MAKE it unhealthy. People just need to make better decisions on how much to consume. THAT'S what makes people fat... not the foods themselves.
  • lishie_rebooted
    edited December 2014
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »

Off topic:

Didn't he get returned, though?

did he!?
    I don't have cable so I don't know these things...

BRB off to Google!

ETA: Nope. He didn't. There was a petition in April for it tho. And apparently he's not the most followed person on IG anymore and something about shirtless selfies.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Nutritionists aren't licensed and most doctors aren't very well versed on nutrition.
    The last PCP I saw wasn't happy with me because I rarely eat whole grains and thought 2k calories was too much for (it's not btw). So yeah, you want info on nutrition, go to an RD.[/quote]

So that license hanging on her wall was fake? LOL no.... I checked her out. She's legit. She has a PhD and a license. 1200 calories is not death even if sometimes it feels kinda bad. It's a deficit that oldish/short people like me have to just deal with. I lose only a half pound every week and a half or thereabouts at 1200 cal and moderate exercise. I can't do b@lls to the wall exercise because of arthritis, so I limit the weights to 40-50 lb on the machines and limit the elliptical to 30 minutes at a low resistance. The OP says she walks for exercise, which is also not a real high calorie burn. So that deficit for her and for me has to come from eating less.

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options

Off topic:

ROFL!!!! omg this is great! XD
  • DerekVTX
    DerekVTX Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »

Depending on what macros you are trying to meet plus calorie goal...what's unhealthy about this? Fat isn't bad for you, you know.

Yeah I know that, I strive daily to stay under my calorie goals, stay above my protein goals, and the rest I honestly do not care about.
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »

Nutritionists aren't licensed and most doctors aren't very well versed on nutrition.
    The last PCP I saw wasn't happy with me because I rarely eat whole grains and thought 2k calories was too much for (it's not btw). So yeah, you want info on nutrition, go to an RD.

So that license hanging on her wall was fake? LOL no.... I checked her out. She's legit. She has a PhD and a license. 1200 calories is not death even if sometimes it feels kinda bad. It's a deficit that oldish/short people like me have to just deal with. I lose only a half pound every week and a half or thereabouts at 1200 cal and moderate exercise. I can't do b@lls to the wall exercise because of arthritis, so I limit the weights to 40-50 lb on the machines and limit the elliptical to 30 minutes at a low resistance. The OP says she walks for exercise, which is also not a real high calorie burn. So that deficit for her and for me has to come from eating less.

[/quote]

So your old and short and aren't able to exercise too much to help create a deficit. Makes sense for you to have 1200 cals.

However, the OP is 22 years old and has yet to return with her height (or maybe she did and I missed it) and has 5lbs pounds to lose. It's highly unlikely she needs to eat 1200 cals and that she could eat more.
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »

Off topic:

ROFL!!!! omg this is great! XD

=]
    I very much dislike some of the terms that my generation ( Gen-Y and mostly the younger ones in my generation) and generation after (apparently Gen-Z according to wiki) have coined. They're absurb and embarassing. We got "selfie" in the Oxford English Dictionary...
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I just have a 500 calorie day before or after the day I'm going to a restaurant and just guesstimate to the best of my abilities, until this thing becomes reality... http://www.businessinsider.com/ge-calorie-counter-microwave-2014-7