How bad is it to do weight machines 2 days in a row?

Replies

• IndianCat3
    IndianCat3 Posts: 158 Member
    glad i made you laugh..lol..
    IndianCat3 wrote: »
    and if you are any kind of an athlete, you should know not to work the same muscle group back to back.
    That's hilarious. A lot of olympic lifting (snatch/clean & jerk) coaches have their athletes doing the same movements every day and squatting every day. I work out with one national level lifter who squats 9 times per week, yes, 9 times per week.

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    and if you are any kind of an athlete, you should know not to work the same muscle group back to back.
    That's hilarious. A lot of olympic lifting (snatch/clean & jerk) coaches have their athletes doing the same movements every day and squatting every day. I work out with one national level lifter who squats 9 times per week, yes, 9 times per week.

uhhh... errr......wot?
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    edited December 2014
    But right now I'm doing a total body workout 3x/week on weight machines. I'm using moderate weight/high reps for toning rather than body building as I'm dropping weight.

It is so much easier for me to get lifts in on Saturday/Sunday rather than Saturday/weekday.

Can I get away with doing light, total body workouts on machines two days in a row?

OP,
    Although resting a day between workouts on any given muscle group is optimal/preferred, there's nothing detrimental about what you're doing, especially given your goals.

Best of luck to you.

*ETA: I usually do heavy (5 reps, 1-5 sets), full body 2-3 non-consecutive days a week. On those rare occasions I can go more often or have to go back-to-back, I do upper-lower split.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member

Trying to play it off like it was a joke? You made a very incorrect statement like it was fact and insulted a guy with many years of lifting experience. If it was meant to be a joke it wasn't funny.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    edited December 2014
    It probably wont be a problem for what you are describing. There are really no absolutes in fitness.

Intense high volume training for multiple days in a row might eventually burn you out, stop being effective, make it hard to recover from and/or lead to injury. Its also not necessary for just general health and fitness but that doesnt mean it is bad for everyone or that you could not build up to that level depending on what your goals were.

I have done some back to back workouts and had great workouts but, in general, I need more time to recover than that so I do an upper/lower program.

• mustgetmuscles1
    Also the idea that moderate weight for higher reps is for toning and not body building is also mostly incorrect. The "body building" part of most programs are exactly that, moderate weights in higher reps ranges.

For most people "toning" means maintaining your current muscle and losing body fat. You can do this this with a variety of rep ranges and your calories/nutrient intake will determine the rest.

So maybe you could do a heavier workout on Saturday and then a lighter workout the next day as another option. As long as you are in a calorie deficit you will start losing the body fat while maintaining/strengthening your muscle.
  • IndianCat3
    so, all jokes and bashing aside, you guys are suggesting that he do a lower/upper body split, is that not making my statement correct by me sayin not to work the same muscle group two days back to back...seriously?
  • usmcmp
    so, all jokes and bashing aside, you guys are suggesting that he do a lower/upper body split, is that not making my statement correct by me sayin not to work the same muscle group two days back to back...seriously?

Just because we offered alternate solutions doesn't make you right. He can do the same workout back to back just fine if he wants to. You said it was a horrible idea to do that and even real athletes don't do workout the same muscle group back to back, which was wrong.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member

people are suggesting an upper/lower split to make things easier, help recovery, and maybe get a better workout.

suggesting that is not the same as saying it's bad to work the same group 2 days in a row, as you did, so high-and-mighty.
  • IndianCat3
    well, that was my opinion which i always gotten from Personal Trainers. Im not gonna apologize for it either. Doing the split lower and upper is the best choice. I never said it was BAD, i said that you shouldn't do it, you can easily injure yourself and muscles need time to grow. that is all.
  • IndianCat3
    usmcmp wrote: »

Just because we offered alternate solutions doesn't make you right. He can do the same workout back to back just fine if he wants to. You said it was a horrible idea to do that and even real athletes don't do workout the same muscle group back to back, which was wrong.

and the word HORRIBLE was never said by me
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    well, that was my opinion which i always gotten from Personal Trainers. Im not gonna apologize for it either. Doing the split lower and upper is the best choice. I never said it was BAD, i said that you shouldn't do it, you can easily injure yourself and muscles need time to grow. that is all.

No.

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    edited December 2014

I'm going to say this as nicely as I can.

You are clearly in over your head with regards to this subject. There are a few people here in this thread that have had pretty good success in the sports/athletic/weightlifting field that have weighed in here. Listen to those posters - don't argue with them.
  • usmcmp

I tried to find the quote where you specifically said you can easily injure yourself and your muscles need time to grow, but I couldn't find that statement from you anywhere above. Maybe you can point it out for me.

It sounds to me like he'll be resting during most of the week, so I don't see an issue since he said he was only training 3x per week.
  • IndianCat3
    TR0berts wrote: »

I'm going to say this as nicely as I can.

You are clearly in over your head with regards to this subject. There are a few people here in this thread that have had pretty good success in the sports/athletic/weightlifting field that have weighed in here. Listen to those posters - don't argue with them.

different strokes for different folks. DO NOT WORK THE SAME MUSCLE GROUP TWO DAYS IN A ROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • mustgetmuscles1
    he did say that he was not tryin to body build...

As you said, he is not trying to grow muscle. Recovery may be an issue but that will depend on the program, diet, age, and other factors.

The blanket statement that he should never do it or that real athletes know better than to do it was the issue that people had.
  • IndianCat3
    he did say that he was not tryin to body build...

As you said, he is not trying to grow muscle. Recovery may be an issue but that will depend on the program, diet, age, and other factors.

The blanket statement that he should never do it or that real athletes know better than to do it was the issue that people had.

THANK YOU!
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member

There are so many bad trainers out there.
    I trust @USMCMP and @lolbroscience far more than any trainer I've met
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    I know you need to do a day off between resistance training sessions because muscle builds during rest.

But right now I'm doing a total body workout 3x/week on weight machines. I'm using moderate weight/high reps for toning rather than body building as I'm dropping weight.

It is so much easier for me to get lifts in on Saturday/Sunday rather than Saturday/weekday.

Can I get away with doing light, total body workouts on machines two days in a row?

PS I'll accept "no" LOL. I'm looking for advice not just wanting to hear what I want to hear.

Thanks

Probably fine. That whole "need a rest day between workouts" isn't necessarily sound science in all cases.

(Now as for your "toning rather than body building" claim. That's more based on dietary intake than weight/rep scheme. In fact, moderate weight/high reps is a very popular bodybuilding approach.)
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    well, that was my opinion which i always gotten from Personal Trainers.

Eh. A personal trainer once told me I'd never lose weight if I ate fruit because my body would use the sugar from the fruit to power itself rather than burning calories. So, you know... even "experts" give awful advice.