Eating at restaurants used to be fun, now it's kind of stressful.

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    dawn0293 wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    that some how because it's chalk full of delicious fat- it's unhealthy
    Well, if one eats high amounts of fat often and doesn't realize the high fat content they are consuming, yes it can be downright unhealthy for them.
    "they decide how unhealthy they are going to make it? what does that even mean??
    They decide the quality and quantity of ingredients is what it means.
    They aren't making healthy or unhealthy food- they are making food to sell- and hopefully it's delicious.
    So you're saying unhealthy food is not delicious?
    No, I am saying 'delicious' is not relevant to healthy or unhealthy food in the context in which I was discussing it. There is plenty of delicious things on both sides of the coin.
    I just don't understand your fussiness with claiming it's "unhealthy" because it's got fat and sugar in it? or it's high calorie- or whatever it is that you're claiming unhealthy is (which can we narrow that definition down for me since you seem vague on that).

No, I never said high calorie equals unhealthy but that some dishes contain lots of hidden calories, fats, and sugars that the consumers would not be aware of, much like the macaroni salad of the the woman in this video who makes it with an entire jar of mayo, sweetened condensed milk and a heaping cup of sugar, which ends up being over 7000 calories and that *is* unhealthy, any way you slice it.

Tell that to people eating high fat keto diets to reduce seizures.

High fat is not inherently unhealthy.
    You still haven't answered- what "they make it healthy or not healthy- nothing about the ingredients means it's inhereiently unhealthy- you can make the same stuff home- does that make it unhealthy if it's the same stuff prepared and consumed at home?

That's EXACTLY what you're saying- hidden calories- and high calorie is unhealthy- and IT"S NOT. Because otherwise what is your point of high calorie??
    tomatoey wrote: »
    dawn, why do you think restaurants and food manufacturers load things up with fat, carbs and sugar? because it's tasty and sells, that's why. it's about their bottom line.
    Exactly, and that is bad for us as uniformed consumers of products that we are putting into our bodies.

SERIOUSLY!!!????? YOU ARE NOT UNINFORMED.

If you were uninformed- this wouldn't be an issue- but you walk in there KNOWING you're getting a crap load of delicious butter on your steak.

again- you're whole point was what they feed you is in unhealthy- and the best you've got is "hidden calories" which isn't unhealthy.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »
    It occurs to me that though many are saying that a government mandate to provide nutrition information is getting in the way of business, the mandate will actually make a free market in restaurant meals a possibility. The concept of the free market, and the idea of the "invisible hand" guiding it, presupposes perfect information on the part of the consumer. Arguing against people having more information on which to base their purchasing decisions is actually arguing against the most effective part of the capitalist system.

So arguing against government mandating calorie counts, is actually arguing against capitalism/the free market? Interesting

Can you please post where you got this idea?

Wouldn't it be something like, if consumers actually wanted this information they would stop buying from those establishments and if enough stopped purchasing the establishments would then give them the information they wanted ?

Your assumption that all consumers know what kind of knowledge they need to know to make informed decisions is adorable.

So you feel all consumers are not smart enough to make decisions for themselves and need the government to handle everything for us?

1) I think people who don't know what to ask for won't ask for it, re the post I originally responded to.

2) Haha, I'm out of this thread, if it's down to comments like that.

You make a condescending remark calling something adorable????

But yet I ask you a question and all your do is run out of the thread? I thought it was an honest question to your post.

You are saying people are too stupid to ask questions and that we don't know what we want.. so we need the government to regulate everything to save the stupid people... or at least that is how your comment comes across. Please elaborate if that is not what you meant.

No that's pretty much what I meant
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Serah87 wrote: »
    I think the hope with that law is that it will push restaurants to give more low calorie options. Which frankly is a good thing. And it's only for chains with more than 20 restaurants I believe.

My favorite restaurants are local/non chain places as well but I really wish they would clearly show the low calorie options on their menu. Often it's just sandwiches or salads with all kinds of nuts and cheeses or breaded chicken or fish and it's just tough to figure out what's 'safest' to eat. Then you have the other extreme where the 'light menu' is pretty much egg whites with veggies and fruit or plain oatmeal and you just want to ask them if really they have no option between 300 and 1000 calories.

So you want the government to take care of you then, right?

No responsibilities for what you eat. :unamused:

Huh what?

And yeah, I don't go out as much anymore. I fail to see how it's a bad thing, at least I'm saving money, and when we went out it was just with my family when I was too lazy to cook anyway... I still enjoy a good meal out once in a while. Just not once a week anymore. It is a lifestyle change after all.

And people who mention traveling... it totally sucked when I was in vacations for a week and we had to eat out all the time, quite frankly! Ended up gaining two pounds because a lot of places didn't have any 'healthy' choice, and I was hungry.

Ohhhh poor you....

giphy.gif
  • tomatoey
    Options
    zarckon wrote: »
    jpaulie wrote: »
    We are lucky in Ontario Canada that law requires chains with more than15 or 20 restaurants to publish their nutritional information.
    The downside is after reading what I am eating I don't at most of them any more. The upside is you find a few gems.

This is basically what will be the situation in the U.S. Soon. Knowledge and information. Always a good thing to have access to. Cheers

Yaaaaaaay unnecessary, government mandated costs, thrust upon business? For things that have already been shown to not change consumer behavior? This is something you encourage?

Yes. Ordering off a menu without calorie information is like ordering off a menu with no prices given. It costs them money to set, publish, and stick to a fixed price for their menu, but we expect that. And we wouldn't expect people to be able to stay out of debt and live within their means if nothing had a price tag on it just by following advice like "buy products that look cheap" or "buy half as much".

Having calorie estimates available for restaurant meals does change my behavior substantially. I think it should be published on menus, not just "available" e.g. on the web site or if you ask for it.

Who cares if it changes your behavior?it has repeatedly been shown not to change consumers at large behaviors.

And smoking bans were repeatedly shown not to work, until they did.

And what did smoking bans achieve? And how do you separate that from the confounder of ever increasing tobacco taxes?
    1) less smoking in public spaces and fewer new smokers
    2) the taxes on cigarettes have always been high

Substantiate fewer new smokers was due to smoking bans and you should have a better control for taxes than they've always been high, which is one of the most ignorant statements ever.

In public health, it's actually impossible to "substantiate" any action (to your satisfaction) if what you're looking for is a linear causal connection. Stuff like that is limited to correlation, because of the nature of the phenomena.
  • tomatoey
    edited December 2014
    Options
    It occurs to me that though many are saying that a government mandate to provide nutrition information is getting in the way of business, the mandate will actually make a free market in restaurant meals a possibility. The concept of the free market, and the idea of the "invisible hand" guiding it, presupposes perfect information on the part of the consumer. Arguing against people having more information on which to base their purchasing decisions is actually arguing against the most effective part of the capitalist system.

So arguing against government mandating calorie counts, is actually arguing against capitalism/the free market? Interesting

Wouldn't it be something like, if consumers actually wanted this information they would stop buying from those establishments and if enough stopped purchasing the establishments would then give them the information they wanted ?

Your assumption that all consumers know what kind of knowledge they need to know to make informed decisions is adorable.

So you feel all consumers are not smart enough to make decisions for themselves and need the government to handle everything for us?

1) I think people who don't know what to ask for won't ask for it, re the post I originally responded to.

But yet I ask you a question and all your do is run out of the thread? I thought it was an honest question to your post.

You are saying people are too stupid to ask questions and that we don't know what we want.. so we need the government to regulate everything to save the stupid people... or at least that is how your comment comes across. Please elaborate if that is not what you meant.

Ok though for real. Our bodies - our fat cells and metabolic systems and taste buds - are optimized to maximize our body fat because that helped us survive periods of famine. That's why we get fat and stay fat without some special commitment like daily calorie counting (which was a serious pain in the butt before e.g. mfp). That's why we love the kinds of things that make us fat. This happens without us really thinking about it.

Also, companies make money off of this fact. That's how they make a whack of profit, is by taking advantage of our fat cells and taste buds.

Calorie counting is a pain in the butt. Most people are ignorant of how to eat in a way that will help them not get or stay fat. Even when they know, it's hard, because body and mind fight it.

It's not that people are 'stupid', it's that 1) we have to fight a) our bodies and b) strong incentives by food manufacturers, advertisers and restaurants to not be fat, and 2) losing weight and keeping it off is really hard (not difficult, it's simple, but learning all the things you need to know to do it isn't easy and takes a lot of change for a lot of people).

So any help we can get, like governments forcing companies to make information available, is good

Because companies don't want us to think about how their food makes us fat. Because they make money off us not thinking about it.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    OP: welcome to MFP. yowsa.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

The idea of imperfect information leading to market inefficiency is not a new one. Using government to regulate markets goes back to Adam Smith. LMGTFY.

The efficient market hypothesis had to do with financial markets, so does not apply in your example.

Go ahead and Google it and show that it dates back to Smith. I'll wait
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

Ok though for real. Our bodies - our fat cells and metabolic systems and taste buds - are optimized to maximize our body fat because that helped us survive periods of famine. That's why we get fat and stay fat without some special commitment like daily calorie counting (which was a serious pain in the butt before e.g. mfp). That's why we love the kinds of things that make us fat. This happens without us really thinking about it.

Also, companies make money off of this fact. That's how they make a whack of profit, is by taking advantage of our fat cells and taste buds.

Calorie counting is a pain in the butt. Most people are ignorant of how to eat in a way that will help them not get or stay fat. Even when they know, it's hard, because body and mind fight it.

It's not that people are 'stupid', it's that 1) we have to fight a) our bodies and b) strong incentives by food manufacturers, advertisers and restaurants to not be fat, and 2) losing weight and keeping it off is really hard (not difficult, it's simple, but learning all the things you need to know to do it isn't easy and takes a lot of change for a lot of people).

So any help we can get, like governments forcing companies to make information available, is good

Because companies don't want us to think about how their food makes us fat. Because they make money off us not thinking about it.

No companies didn't make us fat, government forcing companies won't make us skinny. Learning how to lose weight isn't difficult, people make it difficult, but it's not. Sticking with it can be hard, but doesn't have to be miserable.

We got fat because we eat way too much of everything, we drive most places, we don't even get up anymore to change channels we all have remotes for everything. We are lazy.

Calorie counting is very easy to me, enter it adjust slightly done. It works and if you keep it simple its actually easy.

If I go into a restaurant and know I want to stay around my goals for the day and I have the choice between grilled chicken or fettucine alfredo .. I can make an easy pick on which one will better fit my goals for that day. Now if I go in and just finished a long bike ride I can easily go with the alfredo.

The more government gets involved and takes control the less people think for themselves and the more excuses you give people for not controlling their lives, their health and deciding whats best for them.

We need to stop blaming food companies, sugar, restaurants, the government, or whatever and whoever else for our poor decisions
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    We are lucky in Ontario Canada that law requires chains with more than15 or 20 restaurants to publish their nutritional information.
    The downside is after reading what I am eating I don't at most of them any more. The upside is you find a few gems.

This is basically what will be the situation in the U.S. Soon. Knowledge and information. Always a good thing to have access to. Cheers

Yaaaaaaay unnecessary, government mandated costs, thrust upon business? For things that have already been shown to not change consumer behavior? This is something you encourage?

Yes. Ordering off a menu without calorie information is like ordering off a menu with no prices given. It costs them money to set, publish, and stick to a fixed price for their menu, but we expect that. And we wouldn't expect people to be able to stay out of debt and live within their means if nothing had a price tag on it just by following advice like "buy products that look cheap" or "buy half as much".

Having calorie estimates available for restaurant meals does change my behavior substantially. I think it should be published on menus, not just "available" e.g. on the web site or if you ask for it.

Who cares if it changes your behavior?it has repeatedly been shown not to change consumers at large behaviors.

And what did smoking bans achieve? And how do you separate that from the confounder of ever increasing tobacco taxes?

Substantiate fewer new smokers was due to smoking bans and you should have a better control for taxes than they've always been high, which is one of the most ignorant statements ever.

In public health, it's actually impossible to "substantiate" any action (to your satisfaction) if what you're looking for is a linear causal connection. Stuff like that is limited to correlation, because of the nature of the phenomena.

So what are you using as the basis for your claims?
  • SkepticalOwl
    SkepticalOwl Posts: 223 Member
    Options

The idea of imperfect information leading to market inefficiency is not a new one. Using government to regulate markets goes back to Adam Smith. LMGTFY.

The efficient market hypothesis had to do with financial markets, so does not apply in your example.

Go ahead and Google it and show that it dates back to Smith. I'll wait

Actually, what I said was that regulation of markets goes back to Smith. The idea of using government specifically to address inefficiencies goes back to Mill and Brackenridge, though they did not use the term imperfect imformation. They applied it to externalities unrelated to financial markets, btw.
  • tomatoey
    Options

So what are you using as the basis for your claims?

Correlation.
  • JoKnowsJo
    JoKnowsJo Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    One of my greatest pleasures is going to a good local restaurant.
    I love sitting down to a great meal and a glass of wine or two!
    I try to choose well and make estimates of my calorie intake.
    I may gain a bit of water weight but it really doesn't make a huge impact in the long run.
    I could never stick with my healthy lifestyle if I couldn't enjoy this at least once a week.
    My favorite restaurants don't (and probably couldn't realistically) post calorie counts.

so much this …

OP - if you can't enjoy a few nights out at a restaurant without stressing over calories what is the point of living? Just try to log as accurately as possible and move on …that is what I do
    I so agree don't stress out just realize that you went over and exercise a little more the next few days..... life is to short to worry about it
  • dawn0293
    dawn0293 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Tell that to people eating high fat keto diets to reduce seizures.
    High fat is not inherently unhealthy.
    Most people aren't in ketosis and eat plenty of carbs and sugars along with those high fats. It's not a good mix nor are all fats created equal.
    You still haven't answered- what "they make it healthy or not healthy- nothing about the ingredients means it's inherently unhealthy
    Are you saying that there are no foods if eaten in a larger volume which are not good for you? Because if that is where this heading, we will simply never agree.
    you can make the same stuff home- does that make it unhealthy if it's the same stuff prepared and consumed at home?
    Sure, I can even eat outrageous things like ten sticks of butter drowned down with a jug of maple syrup every day at home if I really wanted to and I'm pretty sure it still wouldn't be a very good option. How does location of where food is eaten matter?
    That's EXACTLY what you're saying- hidden calories- and high calorie is unhealthy- and IT"S NOT. Because otherwise what is your point of high calorie??
    Well, I bring up high calories because it's obviously a personal annoyance and hidden calories are problematic to anyone who is trying to avoid calorie dense foods. Plus, at some point, the sheer amount of calories we ingest really do matter from a health standpoint. If they didn't there wouldn't be morbidly obese people.
    SERIOUSLY!!!????? YOU ARE NOT UNINFORMED.

If you were uninformed- this wouldn't be an issue- but you walk in there KNOWING you're getting a crap load of delicious butter on your steak.

No, I walk in there not knowing exactly what I am getting because restaurants vary in exactly how they prepare dishes. That's the whole point.
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    So quit eating at restaurants the don't publish nutritional info. OMG, look at that, problem solved.
  • tomatoey
    Options

No companies didn't make us fat, government forcing companies won't make us skinny. Learning how to lose weight isn't difficult, people make it difficult, but it's not. Sticking with it can be hard, but doesn't have to be miserable.

We got fat because we eat way too much of everything, we drive most places, we don't even get up anymore to change channels we all have remotes for everything. We are lazy.

Calorie counting is very easy to me, enter it adjust slightly done. It works and if you keep it simple its actually easy.

If I go into a restaurant and know I want to stay around my goals for the day and I have the choice between grilled chicken or fettucine alfredo .. I can make an easy pick on which one will better fit my goals for that day. Now if I go in and just finished a long bike ride I can easily go with the alfredo.

The more government gets involved and takes control the less people think for themselves and the more excuses you give people for not controlling their lives, their health and deciding whats best for them.

We need to stop blaming food companies, sugar, restaurants, the government, or whatever and whoever else for our poor decisions

oooooomg my head i can't with this
  • randomtai
    Options

Thinking is hard.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Every time I end up going out to eat at a restaurant that doesn't publish their nutritional information I feel like I am playing Russian roulette. It should be mandatory that consumers are allowed to know the contents of the food you are serving them. I have no way to log any of this stuff accurately because restaurants have a way of sneaking fats and oils into just about everything! I could have eaten an entire stick of butter today for all I know. I used to love trying new places. Now it's just a headache. I feel like such a cranky old lady getting my feathers ruffled at what should have been a good time but I can't help but wonder if I am going to regret this tomorrow. Blah.

1 night out won't ruin a "diet".
    Want to see what I mean? Put a wall calendar up with your daily caloric goal on each day. Each day you make a goal put a big check. Each day you don't put an X. Each day you eat out in moderation and have fun with friends, put a smiley face. The dinner table is intended for friends, family, and fun. Don't let 1 night ruin that. ;)

• tomatoey
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »

Thinking is hard.

right. no i just have an allergic reaction to libertarian codswallop

this is a FOOD AND NUTRITION THREAD - outie.

good luck, dawn.
  • randomtai
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »

Thinking is hard.

right. no i just have an allergic reaction to libertarian codswallop

this is a FOOD AND NUTRITION THREAD - outie.

good luck, dawn.

tumblr_mxx24a7wMc1qa3pfso1_400.gif
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    Serah87 wrote: »
    I think the hope with that law is that it will push restaurants to give more low calorie options. Which frankly is a good thing. And it's only for chains with more than 20 restaurants I believe.

My favorite restaurants are local/non chain places as well but I really wish they would clearly show the low calorie options on their menu. Often it's just sandwiches or salads with all kinds of nuts and cheeses or breaded chicken or fish and it's just tough to figure out what's 'safest' to eat. Then you have the other extreme where the 'light menu' is pretty much egg whites with veggies and fruit or plain oatmeal and you just want to ask them if really they have no option between 300 and 1000 calories.

So you want the government to take care of you then, right?

No responsibilities for what you eat. :unamused:

Huh what?

And yeah, I don't go out as much anymore. I fail to see how it's a bad thing, at least I'm saving money, and when we went out it was just with my family when I was too lazy to cook anyway... I still enjoy a good meal out once in a while. Just not once a week anymore. It is a lifestyle change after all.

And people who mention traveling... it totally sucked when I was in vacations for a week and we had to eat out all the time, quite frankly! Ended up gaining two pounds because a lot of places didn't have any 'healthy' choice, and I was hungry.

Your vacation sucked because you had to eat out and gained 2lbs.

Wow.

2lbs is nothing for a vacation. Saying that, I managed to only gain 1lb on my 2 weeks all inclusive honeymoon, and I think that was from the crappy plane food lol. You can enjoy eating out and not become a greedy pig.