I can't do this anymore

Options

Replies

• logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    A hug from me too.

I agree with seeing the gym-closure period as an opportunity to try some different exercises - youtube videos, walking challenge, that kind of thing.
  • janicept77
    Options
    Do the best you can everyday - that's all you can do. There are exercise routine's on Youtube you can follow along to while not having a gym.
  • paradi3s
    paradi3s Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    If you "messed" up today, that's why there's always a tomorrow to make up for it. There will always be a new day for you to change your lifestyle and keep moving forward towards your goals. Take it day by day, because you won't see results overnight. I know how you feel, because I've given up a LOT when I was just starting to lose weight. I used to make excuses and postponed my 'diet' and working out. But I had to learn to get back up and start all over again. To be honest, it's 80% of what you eat, 20% of exercise and 100000% motivation that keeps us going towards our fitness journey. You can do it! Just get your butt off that chair and start slowly. Maybe eat a bit less during dinner and go for a 15 minute walk. It's the little things that create the big changes. Good luck! If you need anyone to talk to, I'm here. :-)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I feel like giving up. Lately I have back sliding a lot and barely making my deficit goals and today was the worse because I didn't workout and this was the last day for the gym to be open until after New year's day. So now I have to solely focus on my caloric intake which has been hard as of late because I have been the same weight for the past 3 weeks and its frustrating because up until today I was working out faithfully and keeping my caloric intake down as much as possible. Feeling like a failure...

Every day is a new day. Stop dwelling on what you ate yesterday or at Thanksgiving. Do what you need to do for today. Plan for tomorrow.
    Maybe it is time to work on your mental flexibility. When you have a problem, brainstorm at least 5 possible solutions. Think about what the potential positive and negative results of each would be. Try the one you think will have the best result.
    Problem: The gym is closed.
    Possible Solutions: 1) take a break from exercise and just log food and watch calories, 2) put on weather-appropriate clothing and exercise outside rain or shine, 3) exercise at home or work- you tube videos, apps, dvd's, climbing stairs, walking indoors, dancing, 4) invest in home gym equipment- if it is something you use a lot at the gym maybe it would be worth it to own it, 5) don't exercise or watch calories at all until after the holidays
    Potential results:
    1) still lose weight or at least not gain, a bit more restrictive calories, might miss doing physical activity
    2) still moving, eat more calories, get fresh air, be seen as tough and dedicated
    3) lots of free stuff, learn that you don't need a gym all the time, exercise any time of day or night, try new things, spend less time commuting to gym, less restrictive calories
    4) might be costly at first, might take up space, would be convenient, exercise any time, no waiting for or sharing equipment, spend less time commuting to use gym equipment, less restrictive calories
    5) no restrictions, might gain some weight, might be depressing, might be harder to restart, realize it isn't the end of the world if your weight goes up a few pounds but re-dedicate yourself to sticking to your plan, decide you don't want to lose weight enough to make the effort at this point

Something like that.
    Practice doing this with problems in your life and see that you almost always have more options and choices.
  • city_southernbelle
    Options
    paradi3s wrote: »
    If you "messed" up today, that's why there's always a tomorrow to make up for it. There will always be a new day for you to change your lifestyle and keep moving forward towards your goals. Take it day by day, because you won't see results overnight. I know how you feel, because I've given up a LOT when I was just starting to lose weight. I used to make excuses and postponed my 'diet' and working out. But I had to learn to get back up and start all over again. To be honest, it's 80% of what you eat, 20% of exercise and 100000% motivation that keeps us going towards our fitness journey. You can do it! Just get your butt off that chair and start slowly. Maybe eat a bit less during dinner and go for a 15 minute walk. It's the little things that create the big changes. Good luck! If you need anyone to talk to, I'm here. :-)

Thanks I really really needed that! And will do!
  • city_southernbelle
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    I feel like giving up. Lately I have back sliding a lot and barely making my deficit goals and today was the worse because I didn't workout and this was the last day for the gym to be open until after New year's day. So now I have to solely focus on my caloric intake which has been hard as of late because I have been the same weight for the past 3 weeks and its frustrating because up until today I was working out faithfully and keeping my caloric intake down as much as possible. Feeling like a failure...

Every day is a new day. Stop dwelling on what you ate yesterday or at Thanksgiving. Do what you need to do for today. Plan for tomorrow.
    Maybe it is time to work on your mental flexibility. When you have a problem, brainstorm at least 5 possible solutions. Think about what the potential positive and negative results of each would be. Try the one you think will have the best result.
    Possible Solutions: 1) take a break from exercise and just log food and watch calories, 2) put on weather-appropriate clothing and exercise outside rain or shine, 3) exercise at home or work- you tube videos, apps, dvd's, climbing stairs, walking indoors, dancing, 4) invest in home gym equipment- if it is something you use a lot at the gym maybe it would be worth it to own it, 5) don't exercise or watch calories at all until after the holidays
    Potential results:
    1) still lose weight or at least not gain, a bit more restrictive calories, might miss doing physical activity
    2) still moving, eat more calories, get fresh air, be seen as tough and dedicated
    3) lots of free stuff, learn that you don't need a gym all the time, exercise any time of day or night, try new things, spend less time commuting to gym, less restrictive calories
    4) might be costly at first, might take up space, would be convenient, exercise any time, no waiting for or sharing equipment, spend less time commuting to use gym equipment, less restrictive calories
    5) no restrictions, might gain some weight, might be depressing, might be harder to restart, realize it isn't the end of the world if your weight goes up a few pounds but re-dedicate yourself to sticking to your plan, decide you don't want to lose weight enough to make the effort at this point

Something like that.
    Practice doing this with problems in your life and see that you almost always have more options and choices.

Wow that's really great advice and you are so right. I guess I just need to breathe, stop focusing so much on my weight and more on my mental capacity because it really is mind over matter and you helped me remember that.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Do or do not. There is no try.
  • jesiann2014
    jesiann2014 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Is your pity-party finished yet?

What can't you do? You can't weigh your food and log it, you can't make choices that mean you can eat higher volumes or snacks? You can't take your *kitten* out for a walk?

I think you can

You just need to commit to yourself

Nobody promised you an easy ride...fix your mindset, commit to yourself and your goals and get on and do what you need to do because feeling sorry for yourself won't do you any good at all

Losing weight is hard. Being overweight is hard. Pick your hard!

Seriously?? Someone flagged this... Geez, flag-happy people! Rabbit, you nailed it. We all need these words from time to time. Get up and get over your excuses.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    You're one quarter of the way to your goal weight............why in the world give up now, to go back to square one?

Eat at maintenance through the rest of the year and then BOOM, get back to your deficit and the gym. Oh and take a few walks or do some calisthenics at home to keep your body moving in the meantime.

We all have difficult days but the idea is to stick to it no matter what! No one said it would be easy and it won't be, but the closer you get to your goal, the more fun you will have!
  • carriecarrio
    carriecarrio Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Potential results:

Something like that.
    Practice doing this with problems in your life and see that you almost always have more options and choices.[/quote]

Great advice!!!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I see alot of BUTS and CAN'TS in your replies.

There are plenty of things you can do at home or outdoors that can keep you busy/active until you can return to the gym. For food, plan your day out in advance if it helps, to maintain a deficit. Otherwise, enjoy the holidays as they are and get back to it when they're over. A handful of days in the grand scheme of things is just a drop in the bucket.

Otherwise, give up. Go ahead. Just don't expect success while making excuses.
  • caitconquersweight
    caitconquersweight Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Dude, if I can do this, you can do this. I've said it before, I'm a lazy little *kitten*. I don't really like working out. I don't always like weighing and logging what I eat. It's so much easier than it was a year ago, but I still struggle with stuff. Anyone who ever said this was going to be easy is trying to sell you something. Losing weight and changing your entire lifestyle is very hard. It might even be one of the hardest things you'll ever do. I know it is for me.

But the only person holding you back is you. It IS possible, and you CAN do it.
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    ovinas1 wrote: »
    If you think you will fail then you will fail...If you think you will succeed then you will succeed. Weak mind weak body. Its that easy..

This is absolutely untrue. I have the lowest self esteem on the planet. I'm sure that I'm going to fail my diet. I walk through food courts with my daughters and want to try stuff from the new stall. I wake up, look at the rain (or ice), and really don't want to run. I feel the aches of yesterday's workout, and worry I'm not going to have the endurance to make it through karate. I think about Christmas dinner, and not being able to ask for links to recipes for the dessert served without being lectured on "enjoying my life", and just want to give up. And I've lost 100 pounds so far (20 before MFP). The occassional low mood, stall, or complaint does not doom the weight loss journey. So lay off the negativity posters. It doesn't do anything to help anyone. OP is already slagging on herself well enough, she doesn't need any help there.

Using P90X is brilliant. I'm not surprised you can't get through without getting winded or without the occassional modification. I'm pretty sure this would be true for 80-90% of the population. And, since it's only for a few weeks, you won't get bored. I haven't done it myself, but from what I've heard, even the demonstrators in the video mess up and take breaks (I may have confused this with Insanity). I do know that I'm pretty incompetent with videos. I find motivation by my improvement. In 30 day shred, I find that I'm doing the harder version more of the time by the end of each 10 day workout, and my Karate instructor has complimented me on the improvement in my cardio. With Blogilates, I'm spending less time flopping like Magikarp, I can actually sometimes keep my feet stacked in side plank, and I get through some of the leg workouts without holding my legs up to complete the reps (although I still need to spend a lot of time insulting Cassie... ;) ). I see this as progress. I know my body is getting stronger (and can see and feel the muscles popping up).

You know what to do, and you are doing it. This can be a hard time of year for weight loss for anyone. Good work so far, and good luck. And, if you find being wished good luck offensive, then just know that, however it was expressed, everyone posting knows that you can do this - stay strong :)
  • dawn0293
    dawn0293 Posts: 115 Member
    Options

First of all, you are not a failure just because you are having some struggles with changing life habits. That's not an easy thing to do! Be kind to yourself. Even if the gym is closed and it interferes with your work out habits, try and remember that it is only for a short time and before you know it, it will be open again and things can return to normal. This is just a bump in the road. Ride it out, in the end it will be worth it.

• purplemystra
    purplemystra Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    You are not a failure. Your going through a rough patch. Life is a series of highs and lows. You may be in a low now but the high is coming. It will get better.
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Every day is a new day! Take it one day at a time or one meal at time. Everyone has bad days. If you go to Fitness Blender online they have hundreds(maybe thousands) of videos you can do at home for free. There are lots on youtube too!

Do the damn thing!!!
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why you're saying you're going to be sedentary. Unless you're bed bound, there's no reason you can't remain active. I don't have a gym membership, and I do something every day (yoga, walking, etc). Some days I go to the mall *just* to walk.

The only thing stopping you, is you.
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    you need a new gym, i've never heard of a gym being closed, except closing at maybe 2pm on a holiday, i've never not worked out on a holiday.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I suggest you go back and read your very own "why I want to lose weight" profile story.