I can't do this anymore

Options

Replies

• sophomorelove
    sophomorelove Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Oh, I know how you feel. I've been full of excuses not to hit my goals in the past week. Finals, work, husband's birthday, sick kid, flu, etc. All at the same time!!
    Last night I had an entire dream about a cake. I used to have them almost every night when I was dieting in the past. I'm trying to implement a healthy lifetime change but my brain still thinks I'm deprived (even thouh I'm not). I just lowered my weight loss rate so I'll try this for a while. You are not alone and I'm the last person to judge you, but we just need to pick ourselves up and keep going.
  • Slasher09
    Slasher09 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I agree with others. With no snarkiness or intentional rudeness, you need to kick yourself in the butt and stop giving up. Remember why you were trying to lose weight/get in shape and stick to it. One bad day or bad week isn't the end. Don't worry about thanksgiving, worry about 12/20 and tomorrow you can worry about 12/21. The P90x vids you downloaded will be a big help...and I actually find with my workout videos I get a better burn and I tend to lose more weight than when I use cardio/weight equipment at the gym. You can do it, you just have to keep moving.

One of my favorite fitness quotes is from a 21 day fix workout "If you're sick of starting over, stop giving up"
  • funchords
    funchords Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    At your BMI, giving up is not a good option. Making your program work is what you need to do. At the very worst, press "PAUSE" by setting MyFitnessPal on "Maintain" and just log your food and enjoy hundreds of extra calories worth of flexibility. You'll preserve the weight you've lost and possibly even lose a little more (you probably won't eat all of those calories). Most important, you'll feel less pressure.

After New Years, set it back to your original goal.
  • calimari
    calimari Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I try to not focus on one number: weight. I look at 3 numbers: weight, inches, and bloodwork. If my weight is the same (or even higher), for weeks - or MONTHS - on end, I might check my measurements to see if there is movement there. If not, I guarantee that when I go in for my physical, my bloodwork numbers are improved. I am doing this for my health. So, even if I am not seeing what I want on the scale, if I am still moving, and still doing better on my eating that what I used to - it is still a win.
  • idohair3
    idohair3 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Don't give up . Its not your fault. I read a book called Wheat Belly It helped me realize how I need to give up certain foods because they are addicting and cause they cause more cravings . Please take the time to read it if you can.. God Luck !
  • Atrocity108
    Atrocity108 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Truly, most of my weight loss has been diet, and keeping count of my calories. Every Sunday, I say F IT and eat whatever I want for 24 hours. This keeps my body sane.

You Can do this!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    You CAN do it! Just because you have one bad day, doesn't mean every day will be bad, just pick yourself up and try tomorrow. I'm pretty sure most people have bad days from time to time.

I can't work out tomorrow as my husband has to work and I have no-one to watch the kids, so we'll go for a walk and to the park instead, so I'll still burn some calories. You could go for a walk or a cycle, or do a workout from YouTube or something while your gym is closed.

Think of how you'll look in the Summer if you carry on....that sure as hell motivates me! Yesterday I did a hardcore PT session on about 3.5 hours sleep as my 7 month old was up a lot. I haven't had a full night's sleep since before she was born. I still get on with it and do it. I want to be thin and fit, end of.
  • eatmindfully
    eatmindfully Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    You need to log all your food and open up your diary. It will work!
  • Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I say brace yourself and recommit to your goals and deal with it day-to-day. Remember, most of the effort is in the kitchen, not in the gym. It isn't so bad feeling a bit hungry sometimes. Find a very low calorie food to eat to bridge those points when you just have to have something. A big salad with no cheese, no croutons, and low-cal dressing is a good thing to have on hand.
  • city_southernbelle
    Options
    chadya07 wrote: »
    one of my worst enemies in the past was all or nothing mentality. one of the things that has helped me succeed this time to a large extent has been letting go of all or nothing. and when i am tired of it intead of saying "you know what, i dont care anymore i am gonna do what i want" i say... i can take a little break from taking myself too seriously, be rational, and not worry for a few days this week, etc, and it doesnt mean i quit. i dont have to be perfect all the time. i mean... it will take me at LEAST another year to reach my goal. its been almost a year already.... i cant even imagine 2 years of total perfection. i can imagine though, how crappy i would feel if i gave up and went back to the lifestyle i had before...

not saying just go crazy... but sometimes you will be all in and sometimes you wont.

Thanks! Yeah I have to snap out of that mindset and I am really trying to.
    logg1e wrote: »
    A hug from me too.

I agree with seeing the gym-closure period as an opportunity to try some different exercises - youtube videos, walking challenge, that kind of thing.

Yeah today I went up and down the stairs non-stop for at least 20 mins....that was a workout so I guess you can use what you have at home to get a sweat in but it just seems harder somehow. And thanks for the hug and support...*hugs back*
    janicept77 wrote: »
    Do the best you can everyday - that's all you can do. There are exercise routine's on Youtube you can follow along to while not having a gym.

Yeah I am going to check out the zumba stuff I heard it's really fun and a great workout on YouTube.
  • city_southernbelle
    Options
    chomp77 wrote: »
    Well here's a hug. Some good advice has been given but I'm a fan of being kind to yourself. Look over your achievements and be proud of any success you have had. Pick a date in a week or two and recommit xx

As am I and I have looked back at my five month progress pics and have to say I have come a long way to go back now.

rabbitjb wrote: »
    Is your pity-party finished yet?

What can't you do? You can't weigh your food and log it, you can't make choices that mean you can eat higher volumes or snacks? You can't take your *kitten* out for a walk?

I think you can

You just need to commit to yourself

Nobody promised you an easy ride...fix your mindset, commit to yourself and your goals and get on and do what you need to do because feeling sorry for yourself won't do you any good at all

Losing weight is hard. Being overweight is hard. Pick your hard!

I have gotten pass the feeling sorry for myself part but no matter how dedicated you are you can't out mind when you face stress or something like death hits your family and etc and for emotional eaters like me... It's not just about getting my butt off the couch and working out or eating healthier

It's about learning to cope with my emotions without resorting to comfort food and all summer long I was on the brink of being homeless

And I conquered over eating poorly and working out instead was hard at first but I did it

Now fast forward five months and I am in better financial state but emotionally still going through...weight loss is more than physical and mental it's more emotional than anything else and yeah you can have a strong mindset but you can't fight or deny your emotions

And that is what I am struggling with. I lost 60lbs before so I know I can do it mind and physical wise but it's can I push pass my emotional state when stress or tragedy strikes.

Thanks for the tough love. It's good to have tough criticism as well but a weight loss journey is individual for a reason and what's easy for one person might be hell for another person because no one person is a like in any way.

But I'm sorry if I sound like I'm pitying myself. Trust me I'm not but I'm not gonna lie it's hard to keep going when you're an emotional eater. Which I recently realized I am. Now I am coping with it and trying to change it.
  • kcd1961
    kcd1961 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    @city_southernbelle Well done - you have made a start. Now the trick is to keep going, one day at a time. It seems like your emotions and catastrophic thoughts are taking over. I would suggest you get some help with that, using an app or a good self help book. There's actually a LOT of helpful stuff in his one (if you have Android) https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.excelatlife.happiness&hl=en Feel free to friend and chat if you need to.
  • city_southernbelle
    city_southernbelle Posts: 57
    edited December 2014
    Options
    kyta32 wrote: »
    ovinas1 wrote: »
    If you think you will fail then you will fail...If you think you will succeed then you will succeed. Weak mind weak body. Its that easy..

This is absolutely untrue. I have the lowest self esteem on the planet. I'm sure that I'm going to fail my diet. I walk through food courts with my daughters and want to try stuff from the new stall. I wake up, look at the rain (or ice), and really don't want to run. I feel the aches of yesterday's workout, and worry I'm not going to have the endurance to make it through karate. I think about Christmas dinner, and not being able to ask for links to recipes for the dessert served without being lectured on "enjoying my life", and just want to give up. And I've lost 100 pounds so far (20 before MFP). The occassional low mood, stall, or complaint does not doom the weight loss journey. So lay off the negativity posters. It doesn't do anything to help anyone. OP is already slagging on herself well enough, she doesn't need any help there.

Using P90X is brilliant. I'm not surprised you can't get through without getting winded or without the occassional modification. I'm pretty sure this would be true for 80-90% of the population. And, since it's only for a few weeks, you won't get bored. I haven't done it myself, but from what I've heard, even the demonstrators in the video mess up and take breaks (I may have confused this with Insanity). I do know that I'm pretty incompetent with videos. I find motivation by my improvement. In 30 day shred, I find that I'm doing the harder version more of the time by the end of each 10 day workout, and my Karate instructor has complimented me on the improvement in my cardio. With Blogilates, I'm spending less time flopping like Magikarp, I can actually sometimes keep my feet stacked in side plank, and I get through some of the leg workouts without holding my legs up to complete the reps (although I still need to spend a lot of time insulting Cassie... ;) ). I see this as progress. I know my body is getting stronger (and can see and feel the muscles popping up).

You know what to do, and you are doing it. This can be a hard time of year for weight loss for anyone. Good work so far, and good luck. And, if you find being wished good luck offensive, then just know that, however it was expressed, everyone posting knows that you can do this - stay strong :)

Thanks a million! I think when they named one of the deadliest sins sloth it was because they knew someone like me would come into the world one day lol I am that lazy lol. But yeah P90x is insane but worth it after doing it. I just have to keep pushing. I just had one of those days that every body has...a meh kind of day but I just have to keep looking at the positive side of things...I'm 30 lbs lighter and can go further than that because I did it once before!

And no of course I wouldn't take offense...good luck to you as well!

brdnw wrote: »
    you need a new gym, i've never heard of a gym being closed, except closing at maybe 2pm on a holiday, i've never not worked out on a holiday.

lts a college gym and unfortunately the only gym near my apartment that's free. I don't have the money for a gym membership right now at the Y which is the only other one I know of in town. :(

kcd1961 wrote: »
    @city_southernbelle Well done - you have made a start. Now the trick is to keep going, one day at a time. It seems like your emotions and catastrophic thoughts are taking over. I would suggest you get some help with that, using an app or a good self help book. There's actually a LOT of helpful stuff in his one (if you have Android) https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.excelatlife.happiness&hl=en Feel free to friend and chat if you need to.

Thanks I am going to download that right now because I could use some guidance right now in the keeping emotions intact department!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    chomp77 wrote: »
    Well here's a hug. Some good advice has been given but I'm a fan of being kind to yourself. Look over your achievements and be proud of any success you have had. Pick a date in a week or two and recommit xx

As am I and I have looked back at my five month progress pics and have to say I have come a long way to go back now.

rabbitjb wrote: »
    Is your pity-party finished yet?

What can't you do? You can't weigh your food and log it, you can't make choices that mean you can eat higher volumes or snacks? You can't take your *kitten* out for a walk?

I think you can

You just need to commit to yourself

Nobody promised you an easy ride...fix your mindset, commit to yourself and your goals and get on and do what you need to do because feeling sorry for yourself won't do you any good at all

Losing weight is hard. Being overweight is hard. Pick your hard!

I have gotten pass the feeling sorry for myself part but no matter how dedicated you are you can't out mind when you face stress or something like death hits your family and etc and for emotional eaters like me... It's not just about getting my butt off the couch and working out or eating healthier

It's about learning to cope with my emotions without resorting to comfort food and all summer long I was on the brink of being homeless

And I conquered over eating poorly and working out instead was hard at first but I did it

Now fast forward five months and I am in better financial state but emotionally still going through...weight loss is more than physical and mental it's more emotional than anything else and yeah you can have a strong mindset but you can't fight or deny your emotions

And that is what I am struggling with. I lost 60lbs before so I know I can do it mind and physical wise but it's can I push pass my emotional state when stress or tragedy strikes.

Thanks for the tough love. It's good to have tough criticism as well but a weight loss journey is individual for a reason and what's easy for one person might be hell for another person because no one person is a like in any way.

But I'm sorry if I sound like I'm pitying myself. Trust me I'm not but I'm not gonna lie it's hard to keep going when you're an emotional eater. Which I recently realized I am. Now I am coping with it and trying to change it.

Sounds like you need to seek psychiatric help in order to get mentally/emotionally healthy.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat. I was tired of going back and forth to the gym - I get off work and the gym is closed, holidays - gym closed..yadda yadda. I went out a bought a machine on craigslist for $250 and now I can workout everyday, all day if I want. Also bought a scale for $25 and weigh everything I eat. You need to take control and figure out exactly what is going to work for you with your schedule!!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I think a strong mindset can deal with all those things, just not everyone has that strength of mind.

Whilst people are individuals, we still have a lot more in common in the way we deal with things, so the idea that no one person is alike in any way as you put it is just wrong.

If your an emotional eater and you cant cope then go and join a therapy group like overeaters anonymous or just get help from your Dr. Your relationship with food and how you cope in general need realigning. The gym closing thing wasnt that persuasive.
  • city_southernbelle
    city_southernbelle Posts: 57
    edited December 2014
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    I think a strong mindset can deal with all those things, just not everyone has that strength of mind.

Whilst people are individuals, we still have a lot more in common in the way we deal with things, so the idea that no one person is alike in any way as you put it is just wrong.

If your an emotional eater and you cant cope then go and join a therapy group like overeaters anonymous or just get help from your Dr. Your relationship with food and how you cope in general need realigning. The gym closing thing wasnt that persuasive.

I meant to say every way.

What I meant is no one person's journey is exactly alike. Sue and Tina could be the exact same weight height and even be related and work out the same, count the same calories, and even down to thinking just a like but Sue could lose a lot faster because of genetic makeup and her metabolism being higher...Tina gets frustrated and thinks of giving up.

It happens a lot. Which is why I said one person's journey can be bliss, the other one it can be hell.

And that seems to be everyone's solution these days...go see a shrink but what about people who cannot afford a shrink what do they do?

Not everyone needs psychological help to fix things. Sometimes as simple as reading a book can help.

And I have my binges but I wouldn't exactly call OEA. I think I just have to learn to deal with my stress in a recreational way that doesn't involve food or alcohol (my other way of dealing in the past).

It's that simple I just have to find out what that recreational thing is.

I'm a writer so maybe focusing more on that will help.
  • seniorbug2003
    seniorbug2003 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I so get the feeling. When I feel like I cant keep going. I go into a sort of maintenance and just focus on tracking until I get over myself. Some people might not like that idea and it might not work for them. But for me I don't feel so restricted but I don't completely fall off which takes me longer to get back on. Good luck and you can do this. One day at a time, once choice at a time.
  • rpsg0534
    Options

Log your food everyday, sure accept that you'll go over (I've gone over pretty much every day this week) but logging makes sure that I can see why and also may mean I make better choices. Even if you maintain over the holidays then that's still a success, think about how much you would have put on in the past by eating everything in sight?

This.

Remember to be kind to yourself.
  • mykaylis
    mykaylis Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    i think we all have days like this. i know i do! it concerns me that you're dwelling on thanksgiving as if it has any bearing on what you're doing now. thanksgiving was a month or two ago (depending on your country). you're past that now. it does not dictate your future.

when thanksgiving hit me, i just decided that i would enjoy myself responsibly. i had a palm-sized piece of turkey, a fist-sized serving of mashed sweet potatoes, a tablespoon (roughly) of gravy, and whatever vegetables they passed around. and then i fully enjoyed a terribly fattening dessert. because you know what? it's only one meal. or one day. or whatever. i gained for a short time but i basically gave myself a pardon for the occasion and moved on.

get back to basics. my personal challenges are getting enough protein and vegetables. start with one component of your dietary needs and do your best at that. when you're seeing some success at that it'll help motivate you to go whole hog.

and i would definitely get a psychiatric assessment. the low self esteem and beating yourself up for not doing things perfectly is not normal. believe me cause i'm not normal ;) good luck.