Is it an issue if I simply don't want to jog?

Options

Replies

• Murph1908
    Murph1908 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Not at all. I am in the same boat. If I am playing basketball, I can run up and down the court for over an hour or more until I wear out. But if I go for a jog, I am bored and give up quickly.

It doesn't matter where you burn your calories. You could just walk, do gardening, take a part time job moving luggage at the airport, whatever.

If we find something we enjoy doing, it won't seem like exercise. If you don't enjoy jogging, then you will be less motivated to do it.

• hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    "I do not choose to run.." -- Calvin Coolidge, 1928.

If it's good enough for the President of the United States, it should be good enough for you
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    hill8570 wrote: »

If it's good enough for the President of the United States, it should be good enough for you

/thread
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

Don't you think he meant running for office? It would help to put this into context. Then again, who cares?

I don't run either, and I'm losing weight. The reason I don't run is mostly because I just never figured out the breathing part. So I can run for 1-2 minutes, and then I either have to stop or I pass out. I can lose weight doing other activity, but mostly I lose weight with food rather than exercise. I can hike all day, go 16 miles, and then eat more than I burned anyway.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

Don't you think he meant running for office? It would help to put this into context. Then again, who cares?

aoCLL.jpg

• MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »
    Yeah, but Mordor and Zombie Apocalypse...

Don't blame me if you get munched.

That said, boxing seems awesome so proceed.

I think once you get good enough at boxing that you can punch a hole through a zombie's head (remember they're semi-rotted and gelatinous, probably softer than yours or mine), you really don't need to worry about running so much.

You also don't need to worry about not being a huge badass, because clearly you are one, at that point.
  • amtru2015
    amtru2015 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Sure you don't have to run, just know you will have to work much harder cardio wise.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    ashmeg84 wrote: »
    Sure you don't have to run, just know you will have to work much harder cardio wise.

Please explain.
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    The best routine is the one you can stick to.

Running/jogging can decrease hunger, and make it easier to make healthier food choices,
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24305681

If you are concerned about injury, use a c25k or other interval program to get going. Using intervals made me feel like a cheat who was wasting her time, but increased my distance, made it so I could jog without calf pain, and helped resolve my plantar fascitis. The key to jogging is to treat it like a marathon - don't go more than 70% until the last minute or two. I used to get bored (or focused on the discomfort of jogging), but I found bringing in intervals helped me stay mindful in in the jog and able to focus more on improving my form. Intervals also helped with my aerobic fitness.

Running is one of the highest calorie burners out there, but Karate is close (and I'm thinking boxing is similar). Make sure to do circuits or interval/HIIT training so you can improve your VO2 max. Using oxygen more effectively helps make everything easier.

Best wishes... :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

OK, explain this please

Why do I need to work harder than 20 mins elliptical with resistance at 15/16 out of 25 keeping HR at 150-165 which is my general cardio. What does jogging bring that current cardio work isn't?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »
    Yeah, but Mordor and Zombie Apocalypse...

Don't blame me if you get munched.

That said, boxing seems awesome so proceed.

I think once you get good enough at boxing that you can punch a hole through a zombie's head (remember they're semi-rotted and gelatinous, probably softer than yours or mine), you really don't need to worry about running so much.

You also don't need to worry about not being a huge badass, because clearly you are one, at that point.

*like*
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

We don't do context here... welcome to MPF, noob.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »

Please explain.

I'm curious as well.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Not really....I cycle, and it's just as good a cardio workout as running.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

Not necessarily.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

OK, explain this please

Why do I need to work harder than 20 mins elliptical with resistance at 15/16 out of 26 keeping HR at 150-165 which is my general cardio. What does jogging bring that current cardio work isn't?

Runners always like to think that they know everything there is to know about cardio - and that they work the hardest. It's B.S.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

clearly I've been doing something wrong.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

clearly I've been doing something wrong.

as have a lot of other people that don't run yet are quite healthy and fit.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »

OK, explain this please

Why do I need to work harder than 20 mins elliptical with resistance at 15/16 out of 26 keeping HR at 150-165 which is my general cardio. What does jogging bring that current cardio work isn't?

Runners always like to think that they know everything there is to know about cardio - and that they work the hardest. It's B.S.

Way to jump to a conclusion.