Is it an issue if I simply don't want to jog?

Options
1234568»

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    But are you doing High Intensity intervals? Many joggers and runners may pace themselves, but they aren't typically doing HIIT. That'd be more sprinters.

Speedwork.. 400metre or 200 metre intervals.

Painful, but part of any serious performance plan. fwiw my current 10K improver involves two speed sessions pw, one intervals, one tempo, Marathon plan I'm starting in Feb includes them as well.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    PRMinx wrote: »
    WTF is going on in here??

Same oh same oh.

tumblr_lxph7r9iJH1qj1kr3o1_250.gif

Party_Hard.gif

I party in circles.

well as long as you bring that party in circle into a party in my pants- it's all good.

Hell yes!

liz.gif
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    kyta32 wrote: »
    ashmeg84 wrote: »
    Sure you don't have to run, just know you will have to work much harder cardio wise.

false...steady state does not superseed HiiT cardio in cals burned (and even less time)

Jogging does not have to be steady state. I use intervals, as do many joggers/runners.

But are you doing High Intensity intervals? Many joggers and runners may pace themselves, but they aren't typically doing HIIT. That'd be more sprinters.

Does pushing yourself until you feel like you're about to pass out, your lungs are buring, and you see stars count as HIIT? 1 min hard, 30 secs harder, 1 min 30 recovery jog x8...

Then wouldn't that be sprinting, not running or jogging (even though you are jogging during your down time)?

From wikipedia "Sprinting is the act of running over a short distance at (or near) top speed". I consider sprinting to be a part of the running umbrella? The program I gave is described as intervals in the articles I learned about it in. I don't run discrete sprints, I do this as part of a 30 minute jog, so I have a warm-up and cool-down, total distance travelled 3.6-4km. The articles recommend a certain speed for each part of the interval, but I don't have a phone that can give me my distance/speed, and I'm to lazy to take a measuring tape on my jog. I just do it by perceived exertion and counting my breaths, i.e. 44 4-step breaths for the first minute, 30 3-step breaths for the 30 seconds after, and double check the time on my watch after each interval :)

Okay, the HIIT that I've been aware of is more go balls out for 20-45 seconds, recover for 1-2 minutes and repeat. It's usually a 20-40 minute deal, which is why I consider that more sprinting than just jogging or running, even if you are jogging during the low interval. But I can see how that could fall under running, I guess.

The point is during the high intensity, you are pushing yourself as hard as possible, which is why you can't last long and the overall session tends to be short (compared to if you are jogging/running for a longer period or for x-miles).
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    All this talk of running on a thread about not wanting to run...not ever...not never...no way

guy-runs-into-wall-o.gif
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    All this talk of running on a thread about not wanting to run...not ever...not never...no way

You don't need to.

Some people just aren't up to it ;)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

drinking-pictures-4-1.gif?w=500&h=227
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

You don't need to.

Some people just aren't up to it ;)

LOL

run-meme.jpg
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I can't believe I just read this whole thread.

Two comments: first, it seems weird to me that some people think that sprinting isn't running. Second, there's a lot of hangry in here. It's the holidays! Go have some egg nog!
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    The best routine is the one you can stick to.

Running/jogging can decrease hunger, and make it easier to make healthier food choices,
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24305681..

From that study I wouldn't say it indicates can decrease hunger but may decrease hunger. Given the design of it to make the claim that it can decrease hunger is a gross overstatement on your part.

To the OP, no you don't need to jog or run but, the health benefits of cardio exercise are well documented. Thankfully there are many options including walking. Plus in terms of longevity any exercise routine that requires you forcing yourself to do anything you don't find enjoyable or haven't been able to make even bearable most likely will fail.

The study I quoted gave a biochemical explanation of decreased hunger after jogging (i.e. lower grehlin (hunger hormone) and higher peptide YY (anti-hunger hormone) and described MRI-observed changes in the reward pathways that direct the runner to lower-calorie foods. It was an explanation of the exercise anorexia that has been well observed and documented in many other studies...

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/09/11/how-exercise-can-help-us-eat-less/?_r=0 (links to studies)
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24305681 discusses this interaction as well.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Same oh same oh.

tumblr_lxph7r9iJH1qj1kr3o1_250.gif

Party_Hard.gif

I party in circles.

well as long as you bring that party in circle into a party in my pants- it's all good.

Hell yes!

liz.gif
    YES
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

drinking-pictures-4-1.gif?w=500&h=227

EXTRA YES!!!

pants party and shots- Bring on Christmas biatches. It's ON- Like Donkey KONG!!!