Is it an issue if I simply don't want to jog?

Options

Replies

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    WTF is going on in here??

A lot of butt hurt.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    runner475 wrote: »
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    PRMinx wrote: »
    AglaeaC wrote: »
    I actually don't have sour grapes at all. I also have nothing against running. I enjoyed it. I enjoy other forms of cardio, too. Of which there are many.

Looks like you don't know the story. Fox never owned grapes because he couldn't reach the branch. So he advised everyone passing by "Don't eat them. They are sour".

Woman, you can't generalize the entire community and call them "BS" if you want people to take your advice seriously and assume you speak with some gray matter.

Girl crush...

Bwahahahaha .... I almost fell off the chair. Crush for Crossfitter. No thanks.

I see where you are going - probably my profile pic. That's me and my daughter. Ha Ha Ha Ha

And, so it goes.

I never attacked running as a sport. Ever. But, by all means, attack my sport. That's cool.
    You need to re-read my comments again.
    Attack your sport?!! Who attacked Crossfit? Show me where you found me saying anything negative about Crossfit. I'm talking about "No Thanks on Crush for Crossfitter."

"That's not conclusion. It's my experience"

So in future just advice people of what you are good at rather than pointing fingers at things you don't do and conclude by saying "BS".
    Looks like you have too much free time in your hands to spin words around.

I'm not spinning words. I never once said running was "BS." Reading comprehension fail.

And I'm pretty sure no one is going to believe that your CrossFit quip wasn't a jab at CrossFit. Obvious is obvious.

So can I safely and with full confidence in you declare here on MFP that PRMinx henceforth with comment only and only what she is good at and the activities she performs regularly.

She'll refrain from talking and passing comments on those she does not practice and leave it upto experts of that sport.

What? That didn't really make any sense.

I think you should just stop.

Ohh!! Well ! People stop writing sensible comments after being falsely accused. This is the result of that.

Can you highlight the point at which you're being sensible? I've missed it.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Same oh same oh.

tumblr_lxph7r9iJH1qj1kr3o1_250.gif
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    ashmeg84 wrote: »
    Sure you don't have to run, just know you will have to work much harder cardio wise.

false...steady state does not superseed HiiT cardio in cals burned (and even less time)

Not true unless you put it in the context of same amount of time spent - in which case, HiiT wins (if you can keep it up for the whole time).

Otherwise, most people are capable of doing steady state much longer than they can do HiiT. Long enough that any calorie-burn benefit from HiiT would be obliterated. That's also the case when comparing intensities of steady state cardio. For the same amount of time, high intensity burns more than moderate, moderate burns more than low. But people can keep up low intensity for longer than medium, and medium much longer than high.

All that to say, which form of cardio is best depends on your goals, your fitness, and how much time and effort you're willing to spend.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options

Party.
  • runner475
    Options
    AglaeaC wrote: »
    I actually don't have sour grapes at all. I also have nothing against running. I enjoyed it. I enjoy other forms of cardio, too. Of which there are many.

Looks like you don't know the story. Fox never owned grapes because he couldn't reach the branch. So he advised everyone passing by "Don't eat them. They are sour".

Woman, you can't generalize the entire community and call them "BS" if you want people to take your advice seriously and assume you speak with some gray matter.

Girl crush...

Bwahahahaha .... I almost fell off the chair. Crush for Crossfitter. No thanks.

I see where you are going - probably my profile pic. That's me and my daughter. Ha Ha Ha Ha

And, so it goes.

I never attacked running as a sport. Ever. But, by all means, attack my sport. That's cool.
    You need to re-read my comments again.
    Attack your sport?!! Who attacked Crossfit? Show me where you found me saying anything negative about Crossfit. I'm talking about "No Thanks on Crush for Crossfitter."

"That's not conclusion. It's my experience"

So in future just advice people of what you are good at rather than pointing fingers at things you don't do and conclude by saying "BS".
    Looks like you have too much free time in your hands to spin words around.

I'm not spinning words. I never once said running was "BS." Reading comprehension fail.

And I'm pretty sure no one is going to believe that your CrossFit quip wasn't a jab at CrossFit. Obvious is obvious.

So can I safely and with full confidence in you declare here on MFP that PRMinx henceforth with comment only and only what she is good at and the activities she performs regularly.

She'll refrain from talking and passing comments on those she does not practice and leave it upto experts of that sport.

What? That didn't really make any sense.

I think you should just stop.

Ohh!! Well ! People stop writing sensible comments after being falsely accused. This is the result of that.

Can you highlight the point at which you're being sensible? I've missed it.

Sorry I'm not volunteering today. You'll have to read the 4 pages to catch up.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    No way do you need to run or jog. It beats the crap out of your joints anyway. An elliptical or a low impact routine will work just as well!
  • PRMinx
    Options

Same oh same oh.

Party_Hard.gif

I party in circles.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    Sure you don't have to run, just know you will have to work much harder cardio wise.

false...steady state does not superseed HiiT cardio in cals burned (and even less time)

Not true unless you put it in the context of same amount of time spent - in which case, HiiT wins (if you can keep it up for the whole time).

Otherwise, most people are capable of doing steady state much longer than they can do HiiT. Long enough that any calorie-burn benefit from HiiT would be obliterated. That's also the case when comparing intensities of steady state cardio. For the same amount of time, high intensity burns more than moderate, moderate burns more than low. But people can keep up low intensity for longer than medium, and medium much longer than high.

All that to say, which form of cardio is best depends on your goals, your fitness, and how much time and effort you're willing to spend.

^Very true, as well as the level of fitness you are at. If you are a true beginner, than steady state cardio (out of the two cardios) is going to be better overall when you take into account endurance, fatigue, and recovery times. Once you build up endurance, then you can switch over to HIIT if you want.

Also, with HIIT, there is the benefit of the calorie burn time being longer than steady state (though please don't try adding that into your logged exercise burns).
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Same. I've had to give up running completely due to compartment syndrome. I was sad at first but now I don't really care. I like the rower better anyway.
    Runners always like to think that they know everything there is to know about cardio - and that they work the hardest. It's B.S.

When I read both the comments it reminds me of bedtime story "Fox who cried - Grapes are sour"

:D

Your first comment in this thread was not sensible. You really should take and break and make some time to collect your thoughts.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    kyta32 wrote: »

Jogging does not have to be steady state. I use intervals, as do many joggers/runners.

But are you doing High Intensity intervals? Many joggers and runners may pace themselves, but they aren't typically doing HIIT. That'd be more sprinters.

Lots of runners do intervals, especially when looking to increase VO2max. It's one of the prescribed workouts on most long distance running training sites once you get past the beginner training which just wants you to cover the distance however you can.

Some of it is interval sprints (100m-400m), some of it is incline work. Some is not quite HiiT as I understand it because the high intensity part is longer than I usually see recommended - as fast as you can for a X time, walk/slow jog for 2X-3X time, repeat. Where X can be up to your fastest 1 mile pace.
  • runner475
    edited December 2014
    Options

So can I safely and with full confidence in you declare here on MFP that PRMinx henceforth will comment only and only what she is good at and the activities she performs regularly.

So we should never see on the forums ever again, right? Because I'm going to guess you are NOT an expert on a damn thing. Except possibly flapping your gums, you seem to have everyone here bested on that.

Flapping my gums. No, I don't type with my gums. Looks like you do. Teach me.
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options

Jogging does not have to be steady state. I use intervals, as do many joggers/runners.

But are you doing High Intensity intervals? Many joggers and runners may pace themselves, but they aren't typically doing HIIT. That'd be more sprinters.

Does pushing yourself until you feel like you're about to pass out, your lungs are buring, and you see stars count as HIIT? 1 min hard, 30 secs harder, 1 min 30 recovery jog x8...

Then wouldn't that be sprinting, not running or jogging (even though you are jogging during your down time)?

From wikipedia "Sprinting is the act of running over a short distance at (or near) top speed". I consider sprinting to be a part of the running umbrella? The program I gave is described as intervals in the articles I learned about it in. I don't run discrete sprints, I do this as part of a 30 minute jog, so I have a warm-up and cool-down, total distance travelled 3.6-4km. The articles recommend a certain speed for each part of the interval, but I don't have a phone that can give me my distance/speed, and I'm to lazy to take a measuring tape on my jog. I just do it by perceived exertion and counting my breaths, i.e. 44 4-step breaths for the first minute, 30 3-step breaths for the 30 seconds after, and double check the time on my watch after each interval :)
  • PRMinx
    Options
    I think it's time to declare troll...
  • GeeWillickers
    GeeWillickers Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    The best routine is the one you can stick to.

Running/jogging can decrease hunger, and make it easier to make healthier food choices,
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24305681..

From that study I wouldn't say it indicates can decrease hunger but may decrease hunger. Given the design of it to make the claim that it can decrease hunger is a gross overstatement on your part.

To the OP, no you don't need to jog or run but, the health benefits of cardio exercise are well documented. Thankfully there are many options including walking. Plus in terms of longevity any exercise routine that requires you forcing yourself to do anything you don't find enjoyable or haven't been able to make even bearable most likely will fail.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options

So can I safely and with full confidence in you declare here on MFP that PRMinx henceforth will comment only and only what she is good at and the activities she performs regularly.

So we should never see on the forums ever again, right? Because I'm going to guess you are NOT an expert on a damn thing. Except possibly flapping your gums, you seem to have everyone here bested on that.

oh-dont-mind-me-im-just-admiring-your-weak-comebacks.jpg
  • runner475
    Options

oh-dont-mind-me-im-just-admiring-your-weak-comebacks.jpg

Ha Ha Ha. C'mon I was betting on cat gifs.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

LMAO...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Same oh same oh.

Party_Hard.gif

I party in circles.

well as long as you bring that party in circle into a party in my pants- it's all good.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    While running does have technique involved (well, I'm guessing it does, I'm not a runner, but I've never heard of anything physical that didn't have at least a little) swimming is SOOO technique oriented, it even overshadows CV fitness.

Running form is a big deal, although much of that is about reducing injury risk.

For both running and swimming good form is about efficiency. Lots of people expend a lot of effort in the pool splashing water around, rather than moving forward.

fwiw good running form deals with the nonsense upthread about it being bad for the joints. It's the same as swimming being bad for the joints...