Is A Physically Demanding Job Sufficient?

Options
123457»

Replies

• fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    I played just about every sport imaginable growing up during the 80s and 90s, as well as taking dance, acting, piano, and voice lessons. Swimming and horseback riding were the ones that I stuck with. I think it was a requirement to fit in as many extra-curricular activities as possible, at least, that's what my mother thought.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    women did not lift in the 80's and body fat percentage wasn't really a thing then, so highly doubt it was used as it is today. and anyway, who cares if it was used in the 80's. it's still insulting.
    http://breakingmuscle.com/olympic-weightlifting/women-in-weight-sports-part-2-olympic-lifting-in-modern-ages

Women did lift in the 80s. They mostly did more aerobics-type workouts to stay toned.
    Have you ever watched Three's Company? The show that ran through the 70s and 80s. THe girls on that show didn't lift, they did more like squats and poses to stay toned.

I don't think TV is an accurate representation, since we're now in 2014 and I can't think of a single TV show which depicts women doing any exercise other than running, yoga, or spin/aerobics/dance classes. The only time you see a woman doing "male" exercises like push-ups or pull-ups is when she is "trying to be like the guys" in the context of military role like that GI Jane nonsense or the one lone female Marine we got in Aliens, and they only got to do that on the condition that they had short hair and removed any trace of feminine characteristics.

Oh wait, we're also allowed to do them on-screen in the context of showing how weak and out of shape we are, provided we collapse on the ground in a puddle of sweat after trying to do one push-up or show our faces straining with effort on a pull-up while the camera pans down to our toes scraping the floor as we flail around helplessly. But thankfully, a man will be right along to check on us and make sure we didn't hurt our little selves, and then we'll have a boyfriend and all of our problems in life will be solved. *retching*

I'm not seeing TV is an accurate representation of anything. However, if woman didn't do those things, they wouldn't have just casually have it in the show.
    Also, I never said they did men's workouts, however< some women did. Back then, women were lot more feminin then they are now, and they did "Female" workouts, like I had stated before.
    If you don't believe me, you can research it for yourself.
    I also saw a video once, that I thought would be fun to metion. It was from the 1940s, and it was of a girl teaching a class of women some squats, poses and aerobic moves they can do at home to stay in shape. I thought that was interesting.

Having lived through that period, I don't really need to research it. And I didn't say that women did not do aerobic or "toning" classes - Jazzercise anyone? The thing about those workouts though, women didn't necessarily do them because they loved them - that was pretty much all that was available to them based on socially accepted norms. You know, like the ones that stated that women need to be "feminine" and that only "female" workouts are appropriate for that. It's actually a sad commentary on the limited choices of women and the resources available to them.

• BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I definitely would never want to maintain a body weight that requires low calories. I'm at a low weight because I am a small person. But, I eat around 2000 calories a day.

yeah, my calorie consumption isn't that low either to maintain my weight. i don't count calories anymore though. i'm guessing that for the o.p. her calorie goal will be relatively high too with her very active job.

Yeah, that's good!

• BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    women did not lift in the 80's and body fat percentage wasn't really a thing then, so highly doubt it was used as it is today. and anyway, who cares if it was used in the 80's. it's still insulting.
    http://breakingmuscle.com/olympic-weightlifting/women-in-weight-sports-part-2-olympic-lifting-in-modern-ages

Women did lift in the 80s. They mostly did more aerobics-type workouts to stay toned.
    Have you ever watched Three's Company? The show that ran through the 70s and 80s. THe girls on that show didn't lift, they did more like squats and poses to stay toned.

I don't think TV is an accurate representation, since we're now in 2014 and I can't think of a single TV show which depicts women doing any exercise other than running, yoga, or spin/aerobics/dance classes. The only time you see a woman doing "male" exercises like push-ups or pull-ups is when she is "trying to be like the guys" in the context of military role like that GI Jane nonsense or the one lone female Marine we got in Aliens, and they only got to do that on the condition that they had short hair and removed any trace of feminine characteristics.

Oh wait, we're also allowed to do them on-screen in the context of showing how weak and out of shape we are, provided we collapse on the ground in a puddle of sweat after trying to do one push-up or show our faces straining with effort on a pull-up while the camera pans down to our toes scraping the floor as we flail around helplessly. But thankfully, a man will be right along to check on us and make sure we didn't hurt our little selves, and then we'll have a boyfriend and all of our problems in life will be solved. *retching*

I'm not seeing TV is an accurate representation of anything. However, if woman didn't do those things, they wouldn't have just casually have it in the show.
    Also, I never said they did men's workouts, however< some women did. Back then, women were lot more feminin then they are now, and they did "Female" workouts, like I had stated before.
    I also saw a video once, that I thought would be fun to metion. It was from the 1940s, and it was of a girl teaching a class of women some squats, poses and aerobic moves they can do at home to stay in shape. I thought that was interesting.

Having lived through that period, I don't really need to research it. And I didn't say that women did not do aerobic or "toning" classes - Jazzercise anyone? The thing about those workouts though, women didn't necessarily do them because they loved them - that was pretty much all that was available to them based on socially accepted norms. You know, like the ones that stated that women need to be "feminine" and that only "female" workouts are appropriate for that. It's actually a sad commentary on the limited choices of women and the resources available to them.

It seemed like back then when we saw female body builders, they used steroids. So, people thought lifting weights would lead to the steroid look.

Bret Contreras recently wrote an article about testing out Jane Fonda workouts. He said it was effective. Not as much as weights, but still pretty good.

Op, a lot of us lift weights and we are as feminine as we want to be.

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    tomatoey wrote: »

lol yeah. I mostly played hopscotch in the 80s but no one I knew talked about "skinny fat" in the 90s or even early 00s. I'm going to say Jillian Michaels first sparked widespread interest in being "strong" (if not lifting per se).

I dislike the phrase "skinny fat", and the way it's applied to normal weight people who aren't actually fat, but I think the idea is helpful, inasmuch as it's made it possible for people who are dissatisfied with their appearance at low BMIs to at least have access to a way of thinking about body image that does not automatically lead to starvation as a solution.

"Overfat" or "normal weight obesity", I think, are appropriately applied to those who are at a normal BMI and actually do have ~30ish % bf and above. That's a legit risk to health.

when you phrase it that way, i can see how the idea can be somewhat helpful. lifting and building muscle is certainly healthier than dieting when you are already a normal weight. dieting is easier though.

I imagine which is easier would be an individual call. At a tiny body weight the calorie allowance can be quite low and getting even smaller or cutting to lose weight would drive it down even lower. Exercise can be challenging, but at the same time the pros didn't roll out of bed one morning being able to do everything they can. They all started somewhere...

yeah, i definitely do not find dieting down easier than working out.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options

i think women also didn't know any better back then. i don't think it was well known that building muscle in women can improve their bodies dramatically as it's known now.

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I definitely would never want to maintain a body weight that requires low calories. I'm at a low weight because I am a small person. But, I eat around 2000 calories a day.

yeah, my calorie consumption isn't that low either to maintain my weight. i don't count calories anymore though. i'm guessing that for the o.p. her calorie goal will be relatively high too with her very active job.

~1800 calories before any intentional exercise doesn't actually look too bad. She'll just need to keep the new job for the foreseeable future, is all
  • SkinnyCandii
    Options

lol yeah. I mostly played hopscotch in the 80s but no one I knew talked about "skinny fat" in the 90s or even early 00s. I'm going to say Jillian Michaels first sparked widespread interest in being "strong" (if not lifting per se).

I dislike the phrase "skinny fat", and the way it's applied to normal weight people who aren't actually fat, but I think the idea is helpful, inasmuch as it's made it possible for people who are dissatisfied with their appearance at low BMIs to at least have access to a way of thinking about body image that does not automatically lead to starvation as a solution.

"Overfat" or "normal weight obesity", I think, are appropriately applied to those who are at a normal BMI and actually do have ~30ish % bf and above. That's a legit risk to health.

I rode my bike for hours every day, and rode horses as a kid. I also did Taekwondo, figure skating, and dance.
    I'm a 90s kid, though.

ok well i obviously didn't only play hopscotch, lol. but good for you!

I know, haha. I was just sharing all the physical activity I was involved in.