Do People Get Annoyed With You Because You Count Calories?

Options

Replies

• reepobob
    reepobob Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I have been married for almost 20 years, I am good at ignoring people. The day I start worrying about what other people think of me or how I annoy them will be the day I hang myself in the closet.
  • AmandaHammill
    AmandaHammill Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    My sister was most unimpressed with the iPhone app; "When you can take a photo of your plate of food, and have the phone work out the calories in it, THEN I'll be impressed!" she said.
    that is actually hilarious! I think when that day comes, I might actually consider buying an iPhone!
  • t1981
    t1981 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    most people don't even know i'm tracking my calories... They probly just think i'm texting. My sister is also on a diet, so we'll compare numbers when we eat together. My husband knows, but doesn't get bugged because I don't obsess about it to him. He does get bugged about my being on mfp all the time, though! I just don't really bring it up in conversation with most people.
  • Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    Options
    Actually, it kind of bugs me when others do it and that's because I should be doing it. I'm pretty sure that's the real reason behind most of the issues people have with those that count calories and use websites and apps and stuff to stay on track. It's a reminder that I'm not doing enough.

Planning has always been the hardest part for me to accept and carry through on. It just has to be done and I have to keep on doing it. In detail. Otherwise, I'm off the rails. That's all there is to it.

There's an old quote that you hear all the time in WW: If you don't plan to succeed, plan to fail. Well...I've failed enough diets that I'm willing to concede the point. As soon as I stop planning, the diet stops and so does my weight loss.

I'm pretty much done with other people's opinions about my body, which is one of the main reasons, paradoxically, that I'm back at it again. Really tired of the looks, the comments, the veiled disapproval. Just want to be normal. I realize that on the inside, I never will be normal. I'll always have to track and plan. That's just my reality. If someone else doesn't like it? Tough. I'm almost 50. I couldn't care less what anyone else thinks. I knit too. So sue me.
  • lajuice24
    lajuice24 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I get a lot of questions about it and sly comments, but my friends and family know not to eff with me about this. I try not to go over board with them talking about counting calories, but I am logging when I need to so I can keep track.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Maybe something like, "haha ok, so I'm addicted to staying healthy, at least it's not as bad as other addictions. I appreciate you looking out for me. Now I know that you won't hold back if I decide to take up a crack habit." Lol. Something like that. They're probably just worried about you getting "too obsessed" or something but they just don't understand that this is now a part of your (healthy) lifestyle.

...That... is GENIUS!
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    No one really knows I count everything cal for cal, except my immediate family.. But when people see me turn down something they usually remark about how i'm thin now and it's safe to indulge. I usually retaliate with a "it's because I don't eat it that I'm thin ;)" And it's not offered again. I had a friend ask me today "why can't I be like you and have the determination :/" I said I like the body I have and I do what it takes to keep it this way. Do your thing, and let other people be jealous they can't have your physique ;)
  • zoombie_bear
    zoombie_bear Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I get the speach oh ' no you can't eat that, because you are on a diet'
    I tell them I'm not on a diet, I'm on a healthy eating plan and I choose what I eat wisely
  • PoohBear1331
    Options
    That's funny!
  • mommacool
    mommacool Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Nope, cause I never talk about it, I just do it! :) The only people I mention it to are those who I know are also on a healthy eating plan like me.
  • nkswans
    nkswans Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    When a friend found out I count calories and log them on MPF couldn't believe I did that....but it works for me and I really don't mind doing it. I like that it keeps me accountable and it works! I just stick with it and ignore it.
  • stephanielynn76
    stephanielynn76 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Yep.... and I'm SICK of it. Yes. I am counting calories. Get over it already.
  • smlamb33
    smlamb33 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Yes, it drives my husband crazy but, when I am thin and healthy then I'll bet he won't mind as much! LOL!
  • rthompson81
    rthompson81 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I am amazed at all of the responses about negative reactions people have experienced!

When I get my phone out at a restaurant or in the car on the way to the restaurant, I'll usually explain to whomever I'm with that I'm counting calories, so I'm going to figure out what I can eat before I order, and I've gotten nothing but positive responses: "Oh, that's great!" "I should probably start doing that!" "It's amazing how many calories some of the meals at this restaurant have", etc.

I'm sorry that so many of y'all have had bad experiences. Keep on truckin'... Or come out to lunch with me!
  • sunsetwest
    sunsetwest Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    They were in the beginning, but I hear a lot less of it now that they see the results. :wink: I only share the details of what I'm doing if they ask.
  • katdanash
    katdanash Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I have a couple of people who do that . My reply to them is this "Its my life I will live it the way I want so please don't tell me how to live it. I don't tell you how to live yours" Enough said.
  • noworry87
    noworry87 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Lol..I really agree....everyone at work looks upset when I mention how many calories something has...
  • Mtsidad
    Mtsidad Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    ... I ate a cookie and grabbed my phone to enter the calories in the app...

This is what got me motivated to stay on track - tracking my intake. I try not to be obvious - I turn away for a minute while I enter the food - but I try to do it as soon as I can either before, during, or after.

Just tracking that cookie (at 370 calories!) made me stop eating cookies as a snack.

And tracking my other intake and seeing the sodium and cholesterol levels has been helping me make better choices.

I don't think I'm obnoxious in how I'm tracking my food, and I don't announce it to anyone. If people want to get annoyed - let them. They're not the ones that made me overweight, and they're not the ones who will help me lose weight.
  • iamstaceywood
    iamstaceywood Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I try to keep it shut and don't say anything. I have a few people I am ME around. One of my managers at work, a guy i lost a ton of weight with (who gained all his back), and my best friend. Everyone else can suck wind. I do find myself judging customers who come in, have to ask for a table because they don't fit in a booth, and then ordering the most horrible things on our menu, with extra sauce/cheese/grease. And sucking down fifty milkshakes and pepsis. I find myself doing the math for them and just wondering if they have any idea.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    My guy is getting a little frustrated with it. He loves the results, he would rather not hear about how it's done though. I have just been keeping quiet about it the last week or so. I haven't talked about the weight loss stuff to many people, just to those who asked. I will just let my success speak for itself.