What's your biggest weight loss / fitness pet peeve?

Options

Replies

• GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Ok, I just confirmed another one,

"I am losing weight!"

"But you don't have to lose weight! You look perfect as you are. Real Gurls have curves babe!"

So, ok, I am not overweight anymore, doesn't mean I would not mind shedding a couple extra pounds since I am already at it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    chadya07 wrote: »
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    Medilia wrote: »

It is turning into thin shaming these days. Thin women are "Skinny B*****s" or "Bags of bones". And losing weight is giving in to vanity.

Heh, another peeve of mine is people talking about 'thin shaming'. Unless it's in the context of needing hospitalization, calling someone skinny (in any culture where thin is the ideal) is ALWAYS a compliment. Nobody is trying to make you feel bad by telling you that you appear more attractive, healthy and disciplined than other girls. When someone calls you a "skinny b*", they are saying they are jealous of you which is the complete opposite of what shaming is.

i disagree. i dont think of the term "skinny" as complimentary at all. i never use it myself as to me the implications of it are negative... as in emaciated... all skin and bones... unhealthy. i have never looked at the word skinny as a compliment.

even without the b word it is a term that implies less about health and more about starving onesself. or starving not by choice.

It seems to vary from social circle to social circle. In mine, it would always be a compliment, and I've definitely been complimented when it's been used toward me. I believe that it can be seen as a negative in other social circles (or subcultures or whatever one wants to call it), but sofaking6's comments ring true for the social circle/subculture I know.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I am in the "I hate being called skinny" camp. People may think they are being complimentary, but to call someone skinny at 200lbs, you're just being disingenuous. I'd prefer to be called fit or strong, though when some does call me skinny, thinking it's a compliment, I contain my urge to stab them in the neck, force a smile and say "thank you"
  • Cheyenelikewyoming
    Options
    Similar to your point 1, "should you really be eating that if you are on a diet?". AAARRRGGGHH, that's for me to decide, and - even though I don't need to justify it - I am eating it because I can, now leave me the xxxx alone to enjoy my chips in peace.

Omg totally! If I reach for something, say a piece of cake or chocolate that fits into my calories, and someone says, I thought you were on a diet? Big pet peeve. I just ran 5 miles *kitten*!!!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    ukaryote wrote: »
    1. Women's mags with both brownies on the cover and "How to lose 10 pounds!"

Omg YES. Drives me totally crazy!

What do you have against Yummly though?
  • JazzFischer1989
    JazzFischer1989 Posts: 531 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    When I take a class at my gym and the instructor is screaming at the top of her lungs for us to push harder, run faster, move more, whatever. That sht is SO grating, it does nothing to motivate me at all.

1. I don't go to the gym to be screamed at by another grown woman.
    2. I put 110% into my workouts so I don't need the instructor to tell me to "SQUAT LOWER!!!!!!!111111" when my butt is damn near touching the floor.

tldr: STOP SCREAMING IN MY F-CKING EARS WITH YOUR SHRILL VOICE!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »
    heck i dont know anyone who isnt pregnant that could stand up from the couch and do a 5K without ever having run before. (doesnt mean they dont exist, i just dont know them :P)

I did it. First time last year I decided to give running a go (I hadn't run in 20 years), I ran a 5k, lol. Sure regretted it the next few days though. But I had been working out and walking every day, so I guess I wasn't technically going from the couch to 5k.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

It is turning into thin shaming these days. Thin women are "Skinny B*****s" or "Bags of bones". And losing weight is giving in to vanity.

Heh, another peeve of mine is people talking about 'thin shaming'. Unless it's in the context of needing hospitalization, calling someone skinny (in any culture where thin is the ideal) is ALWAYS a compliment. Nobody is trying to make you feel bad by telling you that you appear more attractive, healthy and disciplined than other girls. When someone calls you a "skinny b*", they are saying they are jealous of you which is the complete opposite of what shaming is.

you automatically assumed by being thinner you're more attractive healthy and disciplined than other people.

Way to go out on some HUGE assumptions. Good job. I don't think it's I'd say "thin shamming" but come on- being thin doesn't necessarily mean ANY of those things.

Note my choice of verbiage..."appear"...

The issue is skinny is just an adjective- it doesn't mean anything next to those other things you posted to "imply" or "appear"

And the fact you're holding on to the mentality is one of the reasons it's still an issue.

Your size is not directly correlated to your attractiveness- especially considering what one person finds attractive is vastly different than the other. Same with health- and fitness

It's such a not related topic- the sooner we stop attaching the two things together- adjectives and things that are NOT related- the better off we'll be.

I've been called skinny before- sometimes in a negative way- sometimes in a positive way- but don't just assume because you're thin or fit means life's all full of smelly sweet roses- people on hate on you for being fit- for being confident- for being thin.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    yes- but there ARE people who find that attractive- same for women- which is why it's silly to attach a single- really not very accurate adjective to something so subjective as attractiveness.

I'd say there is more of a range of size that is social acceptable for our society's standards of attractiveness- but even in that- there are out liers for BOTH groups- that find other outliers attractive.

it's just not feasible or comprehensible to give one single adjective to and assign it to a certain "attractiveness" or not. it's just way to broad- open ended and WAY to subjective.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    ketorach wrote: »
    But I get the other type of reaction to my weight too. I'm still fat - 5'3" and 175lbs. I have about 45 lbs to lose. So often times, people who are meeting me for the first time assume I'm just a fat slob who doesn't have a clue. One time I was running at a pretty good clip on the treadmill at the gym (it was nasty cold and wet outside...normally hate the treadmill), and a trainer I'd never met before came up and suggested I slow down because at my weight I could hurt myself. I just laughed at him and increased my speed. a**hole.

Dear God, save me from concern trolls!

trolls actually dont bother with the effort that would be needed to go over to someone and ask if they were okay.
    When I was 8 months pregnant, I had two different instructors/trainers tell me that I couldn't do something:

1. In step class, the instructor pulled me aside and said, "I'd feel much more comfortable if you would stay off the step." *kitten*, please. I've been doing this class for years and I'm not even using the risers!

2. A trainer told me that I should not be running on the treadmill in that condition. Was worried about my heart rate. Dude, I'm wearing a heart rate monitor. Why don't you just worry about yourself?

Ugh.

I disagree with this 100%

Instructors don't troll clients.

People who show concern for 8 month pregnant people doing a high impact step aerobics class, aren't being *****es. They are concerned and may have never been pregnant and therefore don't know what you can and can't do, and they also do not know you personally - so they may not know that you can handle it just fine. Although, if they have seen your face every day for years, I do not know why they wouldn't have spoken to you about this earlier in your term, or why they wouldnt know already that you do this class constantly?

But in many instances, if an instructor sees an unfamiliar face, and they have special medical circumstances, ie being super pregnant, they are well within their rights (and possibly preventing legal liabilities) to speak with the person about whether or not they can handle a workout. In fact, it would be negligent not to do so.

I would expect a fitness professional to be a bit more educated about pregnancy - it's not a disability and pregnant women are typically okay to continue exercising especially if they were prior to pregnancy. If the class is somehow not designed for pregnant people then the instructor can sort it out before class, in collaboration with any advice the participant may have received from her doctor.

That said I've been in a yoga-ish class where the pregnant person was given an alternate pose. But then again, my favorite yoga instructors always asked if anyone had injuries or anything that needed special attention

the fitness professionals at my gym cant tell the difference between the power cage and the smith machine and think a bare barbell weighs 5 pounds lol
  • yoovie
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Wait until you see the new show on TLC. "My big fat fabulous life."

All about Fativism.

....Murica!

Possibly, the thing that annoys me the most is when people start talking about curves when they are morbidly obese… I mean, yes, I get the whole movement behind it because I was – and still am, a big proponent of the fact that being curvy is something to be proud of (equally to any other body shape you may have) and does not mean you are fat but is just your shapes. However, the original idea has been blown so out of proportion that it is now begin used as an excuse more often than not, it seems to me.

ETA: Being happy with the body you have is fantastic, I am not making an argument against that. I am making an argument against using a catchphrase such as "real women have curves" to pretend your weight is healthy.

So true! In fact, as someone who has a bit of a phobia of appearing vain, I had to wait until I tipped over the healthy BMI range into overweight to convince myself to finally get to lose weight. Even though I had been unhappy with my body for some time at that point.

all of this.

especially this.
    And losing weight is giving in to vanity.

• yoovie
    edited December 2014
    Options
  • yoovie
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    heck i dont know anyone who isnt pregnant that could stand up from the couch and do a 5K without ever having run before. (doesnt mean they dont exist, i just dont know them :P)

I did it. First time last year I decided to give running a go (I hadn't run in 20 years), I ran a 5k, lol. Sure regretted it the next few days though. But I had been working out and walking every day, so I guess I wasn't technically going from the couch to 5k.

that's AMAZEBALLS impressive!

• ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Me too. My first 5K was off the couch. (Not pregnant!)

• yoovie
    Options
    you two are awesome.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

I am sorry, but I do not see, in any way, how "skinny *kitten*" could be a compliment.

"Skinny" is a compliment. "Skinny b*" = "person I am jealous of".

Sigh and I tried to be so careful with the wording.

I get that. I just think that for me it has a very different connotation. It implies that if I were skinny, I would automatically be a *kitten*. I would be pissed if I was ever called a skinny *kitten*.

Ah...that makes sense. I always figure it's people's way of admitting their jealousy while still managing to be haters.

It all depends on the context.

There are friends who call each other skinny *kitten* in an admiring or teasing tone of voice - that's intended a compliment.

Using it as a way to express jealousy is pretty common.

There's also plenty of people that don't think the word skinny is a compliment at all (think skinny == you look ill/anorexic), and adding "skinny" to "*kitten*" just says the person is not only a *kitten*, she's unattractive to boot.
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    you two are awesome.
    Lol, thanks! I think my general level of fitness was pretty OK. I just had never run before.

• Jkj95
    Jkj95 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Biggest on for me is women thinking they will bulk up like a man if they do any strength training. Strength training is sooooo important to do!!

This! It still amazes me that there are people out there who think like that.
  • Nightfall_30
    Nightfall_30 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    One word summarises my biggest pet peeve - "cleanses"