What's your biggest weight loss / fitness pet peeve?

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I don't focus on the negatives!

You have to have solid negatives otherwise you'll never be able to push out a strong positive. Just basic training.
  • MichelleLea122
    MichelleLea122 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    People who add giant spoonfuls of peanut butter to everything, because it's a 'good' source of protein. No chicken and egg whites are a good source of protein, peanut butter is a good fat source. I mean 8g of protein for 200 cals? Geez
  • dbmata
    Options
    oh that reminds me.

People who eat egg whites. *Just* egg whites. Why not just get the natural harvest book and be obvious about it.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    My biggest pet peeve is me. I know what to do and when to do it. I get better at putting fitness first, but would like it not to be a debate everyday as to whether or not to work out.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    My pet peeve of the last 24 hours -- wanting to work out but feeling like crap with fever, sore throat, body aches, cough. Poor me. *pity party*
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    There's a lot of annoying stuff, but most frustrating is when people think they have to starve themselves to lose weight, especially if you give a crap about them.

Also, those who think losing weight isn't even possible, and get on a fat activism high horse (which they link with feminism), and accuse anyone who succeeds at losing weight of being a dumb pawn of the system, or being inappropriately vain. In the same group, those who make concern-trolling comments like "you're so tiny! Are you well?" I haven't heard these in a while, but it drove me nuts.

ALSO those who think everyone can and should lift heavy no matter what their situation and that if they don't, they're "making excuses".
  • Medilia
    Medilia Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Dawmelvan wrote: »
    When unhealthy people say to me, "That's not on your diet."

I'm not on a diet. I've had a complete lifestyle change. If I have a bite of chocolate, I will not gain weight.
    I agree!!! We had chocolate at work and one of my colleagues said "Isn't that against your diet? - Although in that situation it became a big joke and I laughed a long because I added it to my diary and was like "Nope! Still under calories"
    tomatoey wrote: »
    There's a lot of annoying stuff, but most frustrating is when people think they have to starve themselves to lose weight, especially if you give a crap about them.

Also, those who think losing weight isn't even possible, and get on a fat activism high horse (which they link with feminism), and accuse anyone who succeeds at losing weight of being a dumb pawn of the system, or being inappropriately vain. In the same group, those who make concern-trolling comments like "you're so tiny! Are you well?" I haven't heard these in a while, but it drove me nuts.

ALSO those who think everyone can and should lift heavy no matter what their situation and that if they don't, they're "making excuses".

Fat activism annoys me - It is one thing to encourage people to be happy with the body they have, it is totally wrong to treat it as if it is healthy.

As for lifting - No! Personally I am huge on lifting and I am pushing myself to increase my weight. However I know that not everyone can do this. Although I do say small lifts are a great idea, even if you are lifting the bar with no weights.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Medilia wrote: »
    Fat activism annoys me - It is one thing to encourage people to be happy with the body they have, it is totally wrong to treat it as if it is healthy.
    Wait until you see the new show on TLC. "My big fat fabulous life."

All about Fativism.
  • Mediocrates55
    Mediocrates55 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Wait until you see the new show on TLC. "My big fat fabulous life."

All about Fativism.

Add another reason to the Almighty List of Why I Refuse To Get Cable.
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

This. It's so heartbreaking to watch the women in my family ruin their health but there is no reasoning with them.

This too. While I don't think 'fat shaming' is effective at all and most of the people who do it are just being mean. I think going too far in the other direction and making people think it's okay to be unhealthy isn't sending a good message either.
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    cdez80421 wrote: »
    People saying "muscle weighs more than fat" grrrr... :neutral_face:

Wait, why does this bother you? I mean, it's true.
    Its not true,a pound is a pound muscle is just more dense than fat and takes up less space but it all weighs the same.

That's silly, a cup of muscle takes up the same amount of space as a cup of fat. A cup is a cup!

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Yakelmeyer wrote: »
    People who hold themselves up on the stair master putting all the weight into their arms and none in their legs.

Haha there's that woman at the gym who's always running while holding for deal life to the treadmill bars next to her. WTF? I swear every time I go there, at least half the people are holding the bar. Makes me shake my head, really. Only assuming that they don't know that you burn way less calories that way, but my gym has free sessions with a personal trainer and it's pretty much the first thing they tell you, so... I don't get it.

Also, sick people who spend a whole hour coughing or hacking their lungs while working out. UGH. GO HOME.

People going to the machine next to mine and chatting, while I'm trying to listen to my music in peace.

When the music at the gym is too loud and you can hear it over your own.

When all the machines of the type I want are taken (although it hasn't happened yet, but there was only one left yesterday. Dreading the new year).

Personal trainers who assume that you are weak because you're a chubby woman, and are shocked that you can do a set of 12 chest presses with 50 pounds (which really isn't that high).

Friends on MFP logging crazy amount of calories for stupid things, like driving (WTF?).

People arguing over the 'a pound is a pound' crap when everyone knows what people mean when they say that muscle weighs more than fat (even if the context in which it's said is pretty much always wrong).

The whole 'nuts are a good source of protein' thing too. Just ugh.

And people blaming the fact that I'm hungry on having some carbs for breakfast (with a bunch of protein and fat, mind you). Or giving advice I've already tried and telling me I'm too negative when I tell them that it hasn't worked for me, like it's my fault it hasn't?
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    oh that reminds me.

People who eat egg whites. *Just* egg whites. Why not just get the natural harvest book and be obvious about it.

I remember when I found out this was a thing after joining MFP. I have made a point to eat eggs three times a weak since.
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Yakelmeyer wrote: »
    People who hold themselves up on the stair master putting all the weight into their arms and none in their legs.

Haha there's that woman at the gym who's always running while holding for deal life to the treadmill bars next to her. WTF? I swear every time I go there, at least half the people are holding the bar. Makes me shake my head, really. Only assuming that they don't know that you burn way less calories that way, but my gym has free sessions with a personal trainer and it's pretty much the first thing they tell you, so... I don't get it.

Actually, this one is me – in my case though it's to measure my heart rate. At least – the machines at my gym require you to hold on to two spots on the machine bar to measure your HR. If you do a pre-set cardio programme (which I do because I only just started using them and they still scare me) they will literally start beeping at you and stop until you hold on again.

It is extremely annoying though, I need to get an HRM soon so I can stop doing that.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    When the music at the gym is too loud and you can hear it over your own.
    At the gym I used to go to, there was a spin class every Saturday that would play the music so loud you hear it when you walked into the building.

And there was this guy in the weight room that would follow a Youtube workout series without headphones.

• GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Dawmelvan wrote: »
    When unhealthy people say to me, "That's not on your diet."

I'm not on a diet. I've had a complete lifestyle change. If I have a bite of chocolate, I will not gain weight.
    I agree!!! We had chocolate at work and one of my colleagues said "Isn't that against your diet? - Although in that situation it became a big joke and I laughed a long because I added it to my diary and was like "Nope! Still under calories"

+1

Possibly, the thing that annoys me the most is when people start talking about curves when they are morbidly obese… I mean, yes, I get the whole movement behind it because I was – and still am, a big proponent of the fact that being curvy is something to be proud of (equally to any other body shape you may have) and does not mean you are fat but is just your shapes. However, the original idea has been blown so out of proportion that it is now begin used as an excuse more often than not, it seems to me.

ETA: Being happy with the body you have is fantastic, I am not making an argument against that. I am making an argument against using a catchphrase such as "real women have curves" to pretend your weight is healthy.
  • newhealthykim
    newhealthykim Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    "I must lose X lbs by X date."

I know this is motivating for some people, but it doesn't work me. My first question when hear this is "why?". My second question is, "Are you going to quit if you don't make your goal?". Anxiety is a trigger that makes me want to eat more food. Those words would have anxious every single day.
  • lsgibbs83
    lsgibbs83 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    "Eating healthier rarely works"..I lost 3 stone doing it! Lol

I get this from a co-worker. I've lost 54lbs (I know my stats say 49 but I gained before I started losing) so I'm pretty sure it does.

Also, from same co-worker who is obese, is on blood pressure meds, and has multiple problems with her knees and ankles..."I am happy just how I am. It doesn't matter, we're all going to die of something. They are always changing what is good and not good for you".

• ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »
    youd have to follow a special diet / regimen / workout program for over a year to gain like < 1 pound of muscle, if youre a girl.
    I hope you're being hyperbolic here. Certainly, a woman can gain more than one pound of muscle in a year without being a bodybuilder.

But, yes, I *hate* when someone gains three pounds since starting at the gym and everyone chimes in, "Girl, it's because you're gaining muscle -- and muscle weighs more than fat!"

Oh my god, this is so pervasive. I want to hurt people multiple times a day.

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    OT
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what I should do to reach my goals, but that doesn't seem to make it any easier to actually DO IT!