How much can you squat?

Options

Replies

• mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Doesn't matter if you don't squat deep.. Learned that the hard way... back squat finally up to 315x2.

I dont know if it matters or not but I only mentioned it for comparison purposes. Just like people who specify raw, beltless, knee wraps, high bar/low bar or other things. In some people it can change the amount you can lift.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I recently deloaded my squat by quite a bit to fix my form so I am now working my way back up. I did 175 3x3 at 132 BW. Oh I squat beltles. sIt felt good and could have done more but I am not trying to rush the weight back up again. I also recently (2 weeks ago) changed from high bar to low bar (I should have done this at the start!) and still find it hard on my wrists above BW but it is getting much better.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Currently 140 - but that's from the floor - I don't have a cage or supports at home so increasing carefully! On the positive side I know I can do more than that squatting, its just getting it to my shoulders. Been lifting since Feb.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter if you don't squat deep.. Learned that the hard way... back squat finally up to 315x2.

I dont know if it matters or not but I only mentioned it for comparison purposes. Just like people who specify raw, beltless, knee wraps, high bar/low bar or other things. In some people it can change the amount you can lift.

It also changes the potential damage done to one's knee. Squatting to parallel has been show time and time again to be less stressful on the knees than partial squats.
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »

It also changes the potential damage done to one's knee. Squatting to parallel has been show time and time again to be less stressful on the knees than partial squats.

^^^^this^^^^^^

I keep my mouth shut at my commercial gym but when I see people doing 1/8 or 1/4 squats I just cringe.......

IMO - "Full squats" are useless unless you're competing in the Olympics.......

Every Powerlifting federation I'm aware of uses just below parallel for depth requirements....

• Nolan1009
    Nolan1009 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    125 for deep squats. Parallel/just below 165/175
  • paj315
    paj315 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    My last meet PR was 250 with wraos. It went up way easy so I'm guessing I could do more.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    410 for a single. Missed 420 on Saturday and I was freakin' pissed. Just made a horrible effort at it. Expecting to hit 425+ by February. BW in the mid 180s
  • KBjimAZ
    KBjimAZ Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    fatfudgery wrote: »
    I've been fighting to get past 5x405lbs. Full-on mental block as soon as I see four plates on the bar. :\
    Have someone else load the bar for you, and cover the weights with towels if need be. I have seen this trick add 15lbs to a 1RM deadlift.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    ow- I wannnnna play the video game- I forgot I had a video of mine.

barely legel 225- I have better cleaner 225- and said *kitten* 235- but I never got them loaded up. because lazy
    ... regardless- here's two *kitten* squats and a fail
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyvBng7M-YI&list=UUB1irqpJB97uaZfNO2PJoNw
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    ^^Thanks for sharing
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    jmule24 wrote: »
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »

^^^^this^^^^^^

I keep my mouth shut at my commercial gym but when I see people doing 1/8 or 1/4 squats I just cringe.......

IMO - "Full squats" are useless unless you're competing in the Olympics.......

Every Powerlifting federation I'm aware of uses just below parallel for depth requirements....

There are a lot of feds that do not - there are some awfully shy of depth world records out there.

As an FYI though - partial squats can be beneficial for hypertrophy, but not recommended for heavy loads.
  • Sarauk2sf
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Best squat was at my recent meet - USAPL RAW one so you have to break parallel - belt and sleeves.

275lb at 157lb bodyweight.

My reps are actually better at 255lb x 5 with a couple in the tank which I did the other day when testing my 5RM - they calculate out to a much higher 1RM, but I have an ability to grind out reps that does not translate into a comparable 1RM when using a calculator..yet =). I generally only try to PR for 1RMs at meets nowadays.

Video of my squat at the meet the other month:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSgMmKvEyys"]youtube.com/watch?v=cSgMmKvEyys
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    ow- I wannnnna play the video game- I forgot I had a video of mine.

barely legel 225- I have better cleaner 225- and said *kitten* 235- but I never got them loaded up. because lazy
    ... regardless- here's two *kitten* squats and a fail
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyvBng7M-YI&list=UUB1irqpJB97uaZfNO2PJoNw

I have the same fold with the low bar setup as you
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    Best squat was at my recent meet - USAPL RAW one so you have to break parallel - belt and sleeves.

My reps are actually better at 255lb x 5 with a couple in the tank which I did the other day when testing my 5RM - they calculate out to a much higher 1RM, but I have an ability to grind out reps that does not translate into a comparable 1RM when using a calculator..yet =). I generally only try to PR for 1RMs at meets nowadays.

Nice! That walk out was art. 3 steps, no wiggle, wobble or micro adjusting. Pro.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »

Nice! That walk out was art. 3 steps, no wiggle, wobble or micro adjusting. Pro.

Thank you :flowerforyou:. I was having issues with my walk out up until a little while ago as I was constantly clipping the uprights. SideSteel helped me work on it the first time I visited him and its been much more solid since, after some practice.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Lofteren wrote: »
    The title pretty much says it all. How much can you squat?

225 for 18 as of my last workout, did 23 once.

As of now, 315 is my 1RM with clean form. I've gotten 405x3 for for a high box squat, so I'm going to be dropping the height of that box and try to make it a full rom.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    jmule24 wrote: »
    Lofteren wrote: »
    The title pretty much says it all. How much can you squat?

Better question to see people's response would be.... "Have you ever crapped your pants while trying to squat???"

almost did that sunday. Had to make a deposit before upping the weight.
  • luis702702
    luis702702 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    285 x 1 at around 178 to 180 body weight my stress day is 245 x 5 x 5
    Currently on the 5th week of the Texas Method
  • Nicola0000
    Nicola0000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    :( a sh!tty 235- clean 225.

I has sad panda.

If you think 235 is sh!tty, you have issues! lol. That's amazing!