Another teen shot in Missouri

Options

Replies

• RHPSgirl1984
    RHPSgirl1984 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Terrible. Seems like I've been reading more news articles about cops shooting people and people shooting at the cops.

There was a protest at a Walmart here over a guy whom was shot and killed by a cop over the Summer for carrying around a toy gun.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Slacker16 wrote: »
    Some of you guys really need to look up what "ad hominem fallacy" means.
    MKEgal wrote: »
    police are given a very bad rap for the incredibly dangerous jobs they hold
    According to the BLS, in 2012 the death rate for law enforcement was 15 (of 100,000).
    (And somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 of those were due to the officer crashing his/her vehicle.)

The death rate for landscape supervisors was 14.7.
    Taxi drivers 16.2.
    Construction supervisors 16.6.
    Construction workers 17.8.
    Farmers / ranchers 22.8.
    Electrical linemen 23.9.
    Truckers 25.6.
    Garbage men 32.3.
    Roofers 42.2.
    Pilots 54.3.
    Loggers 129.9.
    Fishermen 120.8.
    So based of a death rate statistic you're going to say being a cop isn't dangerous? Your posts never seem to amaze me.
    Well, the data does suggest it's less dangerous than any of those...
    It's not a binary thing.

ETA : also, 50$ says this thread isn't here in the morning.

Yeah okay. So then let's all agree that it's much more dangerous to be a garbage man than a cop. Because none of those garbage workers deaths are accidents. Looking at numbers like that doesn't tell the whole story one bit. But hey statistics are statistics, right?
    A workplace hazard is a workplace hazard, and dead is dead...

Police officers are exposed to criminals as part of their jobs, garbage men are exposed to refuse pathogens and heavy machinery as part of their jobs. All of these can prove lethal, I fail to see your point.
    Also, the fact that this thread would be gone by the morning is pathetic. We can talk about ED and kids wanting to lie about their age, dumb cleanses all day, people floating around terrible advice all overy the board, 1000 kiss, spank, whatever threads but we can discuss real life issues. Why? Because people get to butt hurt? If it's gone then that's fine, I wouldn't expect any less from MFP.
    You're preaching to the choir right now, but I'm already surprised that it has survived this long.

ETA:
    I vote every cop in the us gets from now until new years off, what good are they anyway amirite?
    I won't be back in the US till mid-january, so I'm okay with this.

ETA after the ETA:
    Terrible. Seems like I've been reading more news articles about cops shooting people and people shooting at the cops.
    Honestly, how much you hear about something isn't always indicative of how much of an issue it really is.

Until I see an indication of a statistically significant increase in either of those things, I'll consider it more of "cause du jour", for either side.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    JeriAnne84 wrote: »
    OMG the thing that ticks me off the most about this recent incident is a quote for a guy saying "why must you always use deadly force?" BECAUSE HE FRIGGEN POINTED A GUN AT HIM!!! I'm sorry someone points a gun at me, I'm not going to be all, "oh poopy-doo! Better put it down or I'm going to use some verbal judo on you, you mean person!" EFF THAT.

The cops in New York weren't even doing anything and he killed them. It breaks my heart. We had an officer killed in my town back in September. He was one of the most caring guys and would do anything for anyone. I work with his identical twin brother and it's just awful what that family has been through. Now they have to hear about people wanting cops dead all over the nation. I've worked in law enforcement for 6 years and have a ton of cop friends, and my brother in law is a cop. I'm worried sick about everyone of them now just because people can't go about this in a peaceful manner.

Martin Luther King Jr. protested using peaceful ways and got *kitten* done. What has been going on is crapping all over what he stood for.

Pretty sure they're SUPPOSED to use deadly force when their lives are threatened. It's been that way for decades!

Wrong equal force or less force.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    OMG the thing that ticks me off the most about this recent incident is a quote for a guy saying "why must you always use deadly force?" BECAUSE HE FRIGGEN POINTED A GUN AT HIM!!! I'm sorry someone points a gun at me, I'm not going to be all, "oh poopy-doo! Better put it down or I'm going to use some verbal judo on you, you mean person!" EFF THAT.

The cops in New York weren't even doing anything and he killed them. It breaks my heart. We had an officer killed in my town back in September. He was one of the most caring guys and would do anything for anyone. I work with his identical twin brother and it's just awful what that family has been through. Now they have to hear about people wanting cops dead all over the nation. I've worked in law enforcement for 6 years and have a ton of cop friends, and my brother in law is a cop. I'm worried sick about everyone of them now just because people can't go about this in a peaceful manner.

Martin Luther King Jr. protested using peaceful ways and got *kitten* done. What has been going on is crapping all over what he stood for.

Pretty sure they're SUPPOSED to use deadly force when their lives are threatened. It's been that way for decades!

I don't agree that they are "supposed" to use deadly force but what do equal for or less forace mean?

ok let use examples like this.

criminal vs cop
    if a criminal is pointing a gun at a cop yes cop has authority to use deadly force and headshot if he wants to.

Knives can be consider deadly force by some and to some.

the kid with toy gun. The video of that shows excessive force.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mikehayes/cleveland-police-kill-12-year-old-boy-seconds-after-respondi#.wtqORdN1e

This is a old one and I must specify WHITE kid because it is not a race issue. The media and ignorant people think it is a race issue. It is a cop issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAPwyodTkYA

http://www.wbaltv.com/news/conviction-overturned-for-officer-in-2010-umd-beating/28222058

Verdict of that case.

Thank god I missed that game being a duke fan. That night would not of ended so well for me.

Eric Garner case.
    Ban chokehold in NYC right.

Wow I just confused myself because I know there are some strong people enough for there body to be a technical deadly force. Kind of how boxers are register in the system so there assault crimes get bigger consequences.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Why is it that there is more white people shot by police yet not once is it mentioned in the news? Is it ok to shoot white folk but not black? Black people more special now are they? Their lives worth more than white people?

Because white people getting shot by cops does not cause hype due to the media. However, when a black person is shot, suddenly everyone creates stories in their head and tries to blame the color of their skin for being the reason they were shot (totally disregarding any criminal activity). Hence why barely anyone knows of Dillon Taylor, who was a WHITE male shot by a BLACK cop 2 days after the Michael Brown shooting.
  • JGonzo82
    JGonzo82 Posts: 167 Member
    Options

Not sure where you got that info - I have been through the Police Academy in NC (obviously different states have different GS so variances in what is authorized) & I can assure you that police officers are NOT taught to use "equal force or less force" when confronted with lethal (or any other) force. The use of force continuum chart is no longer used in our course materials but if someone confronts you with ANY level of force, you are authorized to use AT LEAST that level of force (but it must be "reasonable"). Depending on the particular circumstances of the encounter, an officer is not required to use the "next step up" in force, either - one level of force does NOT have to be exhausted before escalating to the next level of force.

The only time that they clearly say that "less force" should be used is if/when it becomes clear that the subject is no longer resisting & you are able to safely disengage & reduce the level of force.

When it comes to deadly force, we are taught that lethal force should ALWAYS be met with lethal force. Someone pointing a gun at me is NOT my cue to try to deploy OC spray or a taser. Most agencies have policies forbidding the use of "warning shots" too. LEO's are taught NOT to shoot to disarm or disable, but to stop the threat. Aim for center mass; shoot till the threat has been neutralized.

• Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Options
    4740dcee4f0206ff34d0332fcc30c803.png
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    http://tiny.cc/l30frx

that is all.

ETA: image 1508529_366016606913554_2066128560612870967_n.jpg?1419267112
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    White Police Chief Loses It and Tells the Blunt TRUTH About Black Crime [VIDEO]

http://conservativetribune.com/police-black-crime/

LOL. from: "conservative tribune: in defense of western civilization"
  • yopeeps025
    edited December 2014
    Options

I don't agree that they are "supposed" to use deadly force but what do equal for or less forace mean?

ok let use examples like this.

criminal vs cop
    if a criminal is pointing a gun at a cop yes cop has authority to use deadly force and headshot if he wants to.

Knives can be consider deadly force by some and to some.

the kid with toy gun. The video of that shows excessive force.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mikehayes/cleveland-police-kill-12-year-old-boy-seconds-after-respondi#.wtqORdN1e

This is a old one and I must specify WHITE kid because it is not a race issue. The media and ignorant people think it is a race issue. It is a cop issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAPwyodTkYA

http://www.wbaltv.com/news/conviction-overturned-for-officer-in-2010-umd-beating/28222058

Verdict of that case.

Thank god I missed that game being a duke fan. That night would not of ended so well for me.

Eric Garner case.
    Ban chokehold in NYC right.

Wow I just confused myself because I know there are some strong people enough for there body to be a technical deadly force. Kind of how boxers are register in the system so there assault crimes get bigger consequences.

Saying a cop should use equal force is so easy to say but in real life it's not. Now the officer has to predict how aggressive someone might get. Cops are not boxers, they're cops.

Unfortunately there are great cops and there are terrible cops. I've had to work personally with both groups. Keep in mind we also have great civilians and terrible ones. And sometimes some of the bad apples become cops. The system isn't perect.

Also, what did you mean by the line I bolded.

I am a duke fan and would always watch them play UMCP at college park. To say I was never threaten or got into some altercation when watching the games there is a understatement.

• Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Sorry .. but you keep your nose clean you have nothing to worry about. This is another example of what can happen if you don't. Toy guns should be made to look like toys, but that will never happen unless the attitude towards guns changes.
  • veronakings
    veronakings Posts: 116
    edited December 2014
    Options
    been following @ ijessewilliams on twitter. he makes some really great points. this whole situation is heartbreaking and those boys (and girls) deserve justice. so so sad.
  • veronakings
    Options
    Sorry .. but you keep your nose clean you have nothing to worry about.

this is obv not true. if you followed the #crimingwhilewhite tag at all you would know this...
  • _tigerblood_
    _tigerblood_ Posts: 42 Member
    Options

[/quote]
    Personally I think they need much better mental screening of the police before they're allowed to carry a gun. There are bad cops that just can't handle the pressure. If the entry exams and screening were as tough as say entering the FBI then you wouldn't have these issues. When is the last time you heard about the FBI involved in a shooting where someone didn't deserve it?

Raise the pay if necessary to get better people in there but we have to be more cautious about who gets that authority.
    [/quote]
    Couldn't agree more. And yes, I hate all cops.

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    when you say that, what you really mean is that you believe black people are genetically more violent than white people
    Bovine feces.
    Looking at the numbers, crime statistics, most young black men are killed by other young black men.
    There's nothing genetic about that.
    There are also plenty of young black men who don't commit crimes, manage to graduate high school or college, hold down jobs, etc.
    There's nothing genetic about that, either.
    it's not fair to expect a cop to try and discern whether a 12 year old child has a real or toy gun in his waistband
    That was sarcasm? I actually agree with you.
    The gun had been lying on the table when the cops arrived.
    The kid stuck it in his pants (handling a gun around cops is generally a Bad Idea).
    When told to keep his hands away from the gun, he reached for it (also a Bad Idea).
    If the officer waited to see if there were an orange tip on it, it would be too late.
    From the pictures shown on the news, the gun looked plenty real.
    And there are kids younger than that who commit crimes using guns.

Exactly, hence why the term "black-on-black crime" is far from racist.