Concealed Carriers

Options

Replies

• smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Ripfit138 wrote: »
    quote="Organicgasm;30630737"]

The XDS is perfect. I love mine and have never owned a better personal carry weapon.

I have an XDS and i don't really like it. It jams a lot. My favorite is the Taurus PT 92. But it's pretty big. I don't seem to be able to conceal it properly. I've been looking at the Taurus 709 slim. But I haven't decided yet.
    A magnum .357 revolver might also be a good carry. Smaller, but not as small as a .380 and still has some stopping power.

• NWGymRat
    NWGymRat Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    now that I am losing weight , when I pack my gun it fits better than it did ..cause my pants was too tight..
  • soulmotor
    soulmotor Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I carry a M&P9c at about 4:30 and I'm comfy there. I've been using a Versacarry, but I bought an Alienwear IWB holster that I love. It's got some good padding and is more comfy.

The biggest problem I've had with CCW is going down in shirt size and it not quite fitting. It fits great, but not loose enough to really conceal. Though that's gotten much better, it's that in between sizes that is tricky. I just remember to wear a larger shirt on carry days, though with the winter here I'm wearing a jacket anyhow.

I've had experience with the Ruger LC9, and it's not bad. I have larger hands so it wasn't that great for me. If you've got small hands, it may do well. I don't remember the capacity, but it will do. They just redid the trigger mechanism to make it a shorter pull, but I can't vouch for that. I will say the original did have a long reset.
  • joshuakeal
    Options
    Is a shoulder holster an option for you
  • Ripfit138
    Ripfit138 Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    smantha32 wrote: »
    Ripfit138 wrote: »
    quote="Organicgasm;30630737"]

The XDS is perfect. I love mine and have never owned a better personal carry weapon.

I have an XDS and i don't really like it. It jams a lot.

Mine never has, but I've heard other people say they've had that issue too. They started using +P ammo and it resolved the problem though. Some of them just need a little extra kick I guess?
  • badbradley
    badbradley Posts: 38 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    If you're not attached to your gun, try trading it (at least for every day concealed carry purposes) for a single stack. The thinner 9mm are easier to hide. I've never been large enough to hide a normal subcompact. Even my glock 26 is too large. So I recommend the Springfield XDS single stack 9mm, or (if you want the smaller price tag) the Smith & Wesson M&P Shield.

There are some good tips on the blog Packing Pretty. I don't think the blog is still going;but old entries cover a lot.

Been looking at both of those also. I held the Shield and I wasn't a fan of the balance and grip. I wish we had a test range around here. None of our ranges rent firearms for testing. :-1:

I wasn't a fan of the shield pistols the first time I used them. A buddy has a .40 as well as a 9mm and loaned them to me for a few weeks. After a few hundred rounds through them I can say I am a fan. Recoil isn't too awful, they're light, compact and accurate. I think there is one under the tree for me today - woo-hoo !

My (still) favorite CCW pistol is my Springfield 9mm XD subcompact. I've fired several Springfield pistols and have liked them all. They are quality firearms.

I had to try about a dozen holsters before deciding to use 3-4 of them on a regular basis, depending on what I am wearing. Don't have much help for you there.
  • sentaruu
    sentaruu Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    I'm dreaming of a springfield operator trp
  • DorisInTheDena
    DorisInTheDena Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I'm in Maryland so it's pretty impossible to get Carry/Conceal, but I love this discussion. lol! Carry on!
  • ThePoeToaster
    ThePoeToaster Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Can I just interject that chicks talking guns = massive hotness?!!!
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I also have a problem with imprinting under my clothes. I tried IWB, ankle, etc., but it still showed unless I wore a really baggy shirt or loose jeans with flared legs. I'm also not a fan of carrying in the purse. Purses can be stolen, and I don't want to waste valuable time digging around for it.

I finally said F it, and then I found the Sneaky Pete holster. Check out their site. The holster is completely on the outside of your clothes, so it shows, but it completely covers the weapon, so it's legal for CC. It looks like a phone or tablet carrier. It's completely geeky looking, but it solves all the problems I had with CC. Hiding in plain sight, so to speak. I got one, and it's made of good quality leather - nice looking piece. BTW, I carry a .380 LCP, so not a terribly large weapon.

Check out Sneaky Pete - this might work for you. Good luck!
  • Ripfit138
    Ripfit138 Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    I've had good luck with my Remora holster (IWB). Check them out!
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,296 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Been waiting to get out of MFP jail just so I could say how much this thread kicks as$. I can't really comment on the opening question, as I still have a lot of area to conceal on, but in general I think it's a wonderful thing to see you ladies with your cc's.

Got my safety certificate yesterday and will be 1 on 1 with an instructor tomorrow. I've been out shooting with friends and a variety of guns (I'm decent! I can group!), but this is the first official "lesson". CCW will come fairly shortly after. Likely wont get a compact for my first purchase, but that will come second. Been looking at the Springfield XD Tactical .40 as a solid start, but am still leaving my options open. The Ruger LC9 9mm, Beretta Nano, and Smith & Wesson M&P SHIELD 9mm seem pretty sweet to tote around on me. The holster choice will have to come after I decide what's up.

For a really good site for ladies and conceal carry firearms (didn't see it mentioned), check out http://www.corneredcat.com. Lots of great info.

Anyhow, keep on keepin' on!
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    Ruger LCP...fits in a shirt pocket. With jeans, I use a holster that has a velcro cover - so no print.

IN winter, with coats, hoodies... easy stuff.
    In summer, more challenging...longer t-shirts, collared shirts not tucked in pants, cargo shorts (make sure they are snug fitting), I also use a "CD case" for my 9mm and 2 extra mags when I travel.

P.S. - Train...Both strong and weak side...and practice.
  • Vegas_Don
    Vegas_Don Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I carry, and I'm amazed at all of the sexy options posted throughout the post. My preference is small of back iwb. I regularly carry a Colt .45 defender or H&K sub compact .40 in the summer. I tried thunder wear, but the friction from the hammer ruins my jeans. Also I don't care for hardware of any kind being that close to my junk.
  • PurringMyrrh
    Options
    Ruger LCP...fits in a shirt pocket. With jeans, I use a holster that has a velcro cover - so no print.

IN winter, with coats, hoodies... easy stuff.
    In summer, more challenging...longer t-shirts, collared shirts not tucked in pants, cargo shorts (make sure they are snug fitting), I also use a "CD case" for my 9mm and 2 extra mags when I travel.

P.S. - Train...Both strong and weak side...and practice.
    And make sure to train with your preferred carry ammo a few times per month, assuming you're using something different than plinking, target shooting, and training. I know "personal defense" ammo costs more.

• Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    A 22 is effective, just give them the 10-12 rounds. The attacker will not be felling well.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    I'd rather give-em one and put-em down B)
  • PurringMyrrh
    Options
    As long as that one round is an accurate one. It's all about shot placement in the end.

I'm thinking a 9mm or .40 (I haven't tried any CC size guns in .45 yet) with something like Hornady Critical Defense will end up being my go-to.

That being said, a .22 is much better than nothing if it's ever needed. Hell, a well placed bb or pellet could even be on your side.
  • tabata_king
    Options
    Its always a battle of gun size vs concealability/comfort.

Bigger gun..less concealability/comfort.

Pick your poison.