"Dangerous" foods

Options
I'm going to preface this by saying I am NOT intending to demonize any foods here. I just know that some foods support my goals better than others.

I cannot keep cold cereal in the house -- even the shredded wheats of the world. Not only could I eat it in double portions morning, noon and night, but if I have it for breakfast, I get hungrier than I would ordinarily. Maybe it's not enough protein... but if I eat oatmeal or 8-grain cereal, it holds me through the morning. Just ate the last bowl I had on hand last night and am not buying more (I'm temperamentally incapable of just throwing out half a box). It's easy enough to banish from my house, since my husband doesn't eat it.

So if anyone wants to share: What are your "dangerous" foods? The foods that undermine your goals? The ones that set off a cycle of eating too much? The ones that aren't worth it to keep in the house? I don't believe any food is necessarily "bad" but which ones really don't work for you?

Replies

• cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Lacey's cookies from Costco...I can eat the whole bucket of those bad boys. I think they must have crack in them. There is no moderation with Lacey's cookies. Anything else I seem able to manage
  • mrsKOrtiz
    mrsKOrtiz Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I try not to get any brownie mix. Its evil little demon food. :D
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Though oatmeal is really healthy and tastes amazing, it is the devil for my blood sugars. Even when I take the right amount of insulin and take it up to a half hour in advance of eating, I still experience blood sugar spikes into the 200's (when I'm trying to keep those numbers under 145).

Most of my problem foods before I became diabetic (pretty much everything) are not that big of a problem now. It's not worth it most of the time to have to dig for my insulin pump, test my blood sugar, take my insulin (when I only have enough insulin in my pump to cover about 150g of carbs a day), and then test my blood sugar again later to make that food worth consuming.
  • MaryCS62
    MaryCS62 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    chips--greasy salty goodness, I could eat a 10 oz bag at a sitting before getting sick of it (or, at least I could several weeks ago. Haven't tried recently ;) !
  • ksolksol
    ksolksol Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    abatonfan wrote: »
    Most of my problem foods before I became diabetic (pretty much everything) are not that big of a problem now. It's not worth it most of the time to have to dig for my insulin pump, test my blood sugar, take my insulin (when I only have enough insulin in my pump to cover about 150g of carbs a day), and then test my blood sugar again later to make that food worth consuming.

That would definitely be a disincentive and make it not worth it! If I were in the same boat, and eating oatmeal entailed that big a production, it would certainly be off my list, too.

• sophomorelove
    sophomorelove Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Soda pop. If I haven't had it in a while, it makes me super bloated even after half a can, but if I start drinking it on a regular basis (diet or non-diet) I will chug three or four a day! I haven't had it since starting MFP and I don't miss it :) Yay for me.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Tortilla chips. If they are here, I eat them for every snack and then some.
  • livinfluffy
    livinfluffy Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Gluten free baked goods! They are my downfall and i seem to have no self control around them. I thought I would be able to have them since I was so used to giving up baked goods after the gluten intolerance issue but my helpful family members got me some for Christmas and while I am very thankful that they thought of me, those little doughy goodness treats call my name all day long! I may try freezing them so they are out of sight.
  • MrsPrior
    MrsPrior Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    cracker and/or cookies - sweet or savoury it doesn't matter, once the pack is open I will eat the whole thing without thinking about it. Even plain water biscuits. Its not the taste, its the texture...crunchy, crumbly goodness. So, no we never have those in our house, ever.
  • ksolksol
    ksolksol Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I may try freezing them so they are out of sight.

I do that with cookies, mostly Nilla Wafers, and it works really well for me. Not only do I not have that nagging compulsion that they're going to get stale (waste not, want not, and all that), but they're out of sight, out of mind, and I can take out a reasonable portion at a time when I really want some. A box of Nilla Wafers can take me weeks on end to eat this way.

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Cookies with milk. For example Oreos, Chips Ahoy, anything like that.

I can bake a batch of (superior) cookies and savor 1 with a cup of tea or coffee. No problem.

But if I have a package of those store bought cookies and dairy milk on hand...forget it. I'll keep going back for 3-4 more cookies and a little cup of milk, over and over 'til they are ALL gone in just a few days and I've wasted waaay too many calories on them.

Even if I stay within my calorie allotment, it's just not a good choice for me and not nearly as satisfying as say, a single donut or scoop of ice cream (which I'd eat once at the donut shop/ice cream place, not 2-3 times per day for a week).

My husband is similar w/ ice cream so we don't keep it in the house and just go out for ice cream once every week or two. While we probably consume more calories per occasion and spend more money...it's worth it not to have that temptation around.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Potato chips. I only buy them in small bags because I eat the whole thing.
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Chips. Tim's Cascade Potato Chips, or Ruffles Original are probably the worst for me. I love a super-salty snack. Yum!
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Potato chips. I only buy them in small bags because I eat the whole thing.

^^This. Pringles and Ruffles are the devil (for me), lol. Single size only for me, if I want them.
  • blueakama
    blueakama Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Shapes biscuits. I can easily eat half a box.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    In the past, I have overdone it with goldfish crackers. I haven't bought them for a long time so I don't know if I could show more restrainst now that I am logging everything.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    porterhouse..............it' a true killer......a cereal killer and the worst offender of civilization, period.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Powdered sugar. No, I don't eat it as is but when you mix it 50/50 with peanut butter you get the insides of a peanut butter cup. You can also mix it with softened butter ( about 1/3 - 1/2 cup per tablespoon of butter) and give it a few drops of vanilla or peppermint oil and you have a quick fondant. The temptation to make a sweet with it is a bit much for me sometimes.
  • RachelYun27
    RachelYun27 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    For me it's actually low calorie bread. Like the kind that have 35 calories per slice. It's so easy to eat too much when it's so low in calories.