I want to start going to the gym but...

Options
I have lost over 70 pounds and I am now in the middle of my healthy weight range. I am at the point in my journey where I know I really need to start incorporating exercise so I can tone up and get lean.

Ideally, I would love to start going to the gym. However, going to gym is a bit intimidating to me for a few reasons. I am worried that I will be overwhelmed and unsure of what to do while I am there to maximize my efforts and will wind up wasting my time. I am also kind of introverted and don't really like the idea of working out with strangers, the idea makes me very uncomfortable. Going to the gym with a friend would make that easier for me, but right now that does not seem to be an option and I would probably need to go on my own.

I don't want to keep using these things as an excuse, but Im not sure how to move past them.

Has anyone else ever felt like this? Any advice you can share?

Thank you!!

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    edited December 2014
    Options
    You can always workout at home. There are tons of programs out there that walk you through what to do.

Right now i do les mills body pump and combat. I have also done p90x (2)(3), body beast, chalean extreme and more. I even have a free membership with my HOA but just hate the gym.
  • bpimks
    bpimks Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am with you on the intimidation factor on stepping in the gym the first time. I was in the same boat. But you know what ? I decided in the end the stares from other people weren't going to hurt me, however being unhealthy was. I basically said "f... it" and went. And you know what? It wasn't that bad. and it doesn't take that long to figure things out.
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    You can do pushups, squats, lunges, resistance band work, kettlebell workouts, or lift weights at home if you would prefer. Some of the equipment needed you can get for the price of a gym membership for a month. You can do that for a few months to tone up and then go to the gym if you feel more comfortable.

I switched to a new gym and was afraid about going, but then I realized that I am in this for me and that there are trainers there that will help correct my form and answer my questions. I may still choose to go during quieter times until I feel more comfortable in the new gym. You can also check out a gym to see what equipment they have and then go home and watch videos about how to perform exercises on the equipment without feeling totally lost when you first start.

I have also found that at any gym that I have went to that most people are so concentrated on their own workouts that they never notice what you are doing. I have had a few people that seen I had really bad form on a move or needed help and politely asked to help me. Usually, most people have their headphones in and that is a signal that they are in the zone and don't want to be disturbed. You may want to listen to music or something if you want to be left alone.

You can check out Oxygen magazine or other online fitness websites for sample workouts that you can do in the gym to get results so you don't feel like you are wasting your time. IF you are first starting out, you may need to drop the weight they suggest using if it feels too much for you or start out with less reps or sets. Once you feel that the weight is easy to lift, you can add another set or go up by five pounds.

I hope this helps and congratulations on the weight loss! You can add me as a friend if you would like.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    The thing is - nobody cares about you at the gym. Seriously I've been going at least 3 times a week for 1.5 year and I think that except for the times I actually met my trainer or dropped the kids at the daycare, I've actually talked to someone maybe 5 times (and usually just asking them to move because they were sitting in front of my locker or something). Typically I just smile or wave at the trainer when I happen to see him now and that's pretty much it. Even the people that I seem to see all the time... We just ignore each other.

I'm very introverted too and I love my gym, I put on my headphones and listen to my music (or a book) and it's completely my ME time. Even when I did classes, most people kept to themselves and didn't talk to each other. Nobody seemed to care about me one bit. Now I only go for the cardio machines anyway (I do weights at home).

My advice is to go, and ask for a tour, it should help you feeling more comfortable.
  • mrsKOrtiz
    mrsKOrtiz Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I am so tired of how I look that I am willing to go alone, BUT I still understand where you are coming from as far as going alone and feeling intimidated.

You have to understand and really let this soak in. We all are starting at different points as far as fitness levels go. Those people at the gym are there for the same reason you will be. T get better, to feel better, to be healthier.

About the machines, and how to use them. There's youtube, there's us, there's google; and there's books. Broaden your knowledge. Knowledge is key in everything!
  • markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Lots find it daunting but it might be time for you to try and get yourself out of your comfort zone. You know you want to go.. so go . At least try , even if you go at a time when there are fewer there. Push yourself.... you might be surprised how easy it is and wonder why you were bothered in the first place :) good luck
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    It's probably time to be so self-conscious and start to put yourself in different situations than when you were severely overweight. The reality is no one is looking at you - it may be a shock to realize that you are not particularly interesting to most people at the gym - they are too self-involved in their own stuff.

Also, look for a gym you like. The YMCA is a good place because it attracts a wider variety of people (age, weight, gender, race) than a lot of commercial gyms.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    When you first go and sign up, make sure you also sign up for an orientation. Almost all gyms have one or two free meetings with a personal trainer to get you started. They show you the equipment and how to use it and make suggestions for a beginners workout for you. Even if yours doesn't have them for free, you should sign up for at least one session with a trainer. Having someone with you, even if it is a staff member, and being shown the proper way to use the equipment will go really far towards overcoming the intimidation factor, as well as being a safety thing.

I was just as intimidated as you. When I made the initial appointment and went, the rest was really easy. I have a nodding acquaintance with several of the regulars that go at the same time as me and it feels totally comfortable.

On a side note, I found that many of the people who come with friends tend to not stay as long or work out as much so going by yourself is more often the best anyway.
  • Darkhawk1969
    Darkhawk1969 Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    The hardest part about going to the gym is setting foot over the entrance, but your not the first person to feel like that, nor will you be the last. As others have said though nobody will be watching you, most go their to work out then go about their day.

Go for it, it will be the best thing you can do
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    1. find a gym you like, having a look round is a good way to test the water.
    2. Start learning about exercise to give yourself an idea of how it can assist you.
    3. Consider getting a personal trainer as a way to bump start. You can dispense with them once you feel comfy but they cna give you a program an show you a roytine you cna follow.
    4. As people said people are interested in themselves. You will be even more anonymoits if you are in the healthy weight range.
    5. Gym you cna use to discover new challenges, everyone starts somewehere but nce you start going then you will get many health benefits plus the toning you want.
    6. Consider doing some classes to start with and move onto weights/ resistance training.
    7. 7. Keep going and after a few months you will be fine and proud of yourself that you have overcome your fear and realise its just a place to improve yourself.
  • threefancy35
    threefancy35 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am a strong introvert as well. I bought a power rack and weight set for my basement for roughly the cost of a one year gym membership. That and the sidewalk are all I need.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    I still struggle with this.. pushing myself to get in the pool. I KNOW no one cares what I do but still feel that intimidation... what others said about an orientation is good,, also if you could wrangle a friend into just a few sessions to ease you in, that would help too.... then you'll feel more comfortable on your own. good luck..ALSO, as you go more often, you'll figure out when the 'busy' times are ... when the hard core gym bunnies go and you can try to configure your visits accordingly
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I agree- no one will even notice or pay attention to you there. Your first time there may be a bit of a waste, you won't be a pro right away. But you'll get used to it.

My first time at the gym (I signed up at home!) I only lasted about 10 minutes before I felt like puking from the nerves. So I just went home and tried the next day, where I lasted a bit longer and each day got better. Now it's nothing!

You also don't have to go to a gym, but adding exercise is always a great decision! Good luck- you can do it!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Can you afford a personal trainer for a few weeks ?

Best thing I ever did ...in fact 7 months later I still see him once a week but have no qualms at all about using the gym alone
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I have googled gym equipment FROM THE GYM many times and watched a YouTube video on how to use it. I usually do this while walking on the treadmill.... then I go over and try it. Or you can walk on the treadmill until you see someone else use it and get a good idea of how to work it. Many gyms offer a "fitness orientation" for new members - basically one hour of a trainer walking you around showing you what they have and how to use it.
  • robowolfmega1986
    robowolfmega1986 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've been going to the gym for a while now, and I too am an introvert. The trick is not being self conscious around the people there. I usually just think that they too are focusing on their goals whatever they may be. When you think that... gym workouts are easier. Like some of these people say, this time is about improving ME, and I shouldn't let ME get in the way of that by finding excuses not to do it at all.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Some gyms offer a free session with a personal trainer with a gym membership. You could use that free session to learn where everything is and proper form with them. When you sign up ask for a tour also. Many people in the gym are just worried about themselves and won't pay attention to another. Headphones in world out is usually how it goes.
  • Marianna93637
    Marianna93637 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I'm now trying out a gym for a few days and then I know I will sign up. I'm not an introvert and know all the exercises and machines, but it was overwhelming to see yesterday that they had TON of machines, and all I wanted to find were the leg extension and leg curl.
    Ask for an orientation. We will get a free session with the trainer, and I will tell them right off the bat I don't them taking my weight, talk to to me about nutrition because I'm already taking care of that, I just need them to show me where each machine is (the ones I will use)
    Also have you thought about taking any of their classes? Zumba is awesome, you will work off a lot of calories, it's fun and challenging and the atmosphere is good. Everyone is busy looking at themselves and following the instructors, they have no time looking at you.
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Like many people have stated previously 99.99% don't care who you are when you are or what you are doing. I started at the gym 70lbs + overweight and was very self consious, but once I got it in my head that no one really cared it didnt bother me one bit.

The hardest part of startiny going to the gym is getting through the front door the first time, once you have it starts to become second nature and you won't even think about it.
  • Relajuice
    Relajuice Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    If you can get a personal trainer to walk you through your workouts. This will ease you into the gym and get you comfortable. In addition your trainer will have you in and out no messing around. Don't go to the gym feeling lost. Find a good one, I recommend a small gym not a big box gym. Pay a premium price if you can but if not its okay. Just have a plan when you go to the gym. Also once you start building muscle you are going to lose more weight as the muscle burns more calories.