detox/juice/short term intense diet

Options

Replies

• luciloo2
    Options
    JoanaMHill wrote: »
    We aren't being negative, we're being honest. You use the word "detox" and talk about "juice cleanses." The first once is a fallacy and the second is just asking for trouble. Most diets like that just get rid of water weight, which comes right back on once you're eating regularly, which just provides reason to be discouraged. You don't need to do anything special, and there's no such thing as a "kickstart" for your body.

Thank you for your advice and I am aware of the effects of these. I want more of a kick start for my mind, I don't expect my body to change during it. Perhaps I didnt phrase it very well.
    Thanks anyway
  • JoanaMHill
    JoanaMHill Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    They aren't good for your mind, either. Humans don't do well when they're starving, which is what will happen when you're on a very low calorie diet. Just eat better. You'll feel better about yourself.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    So you're gonna try to do stuff you're gonna hate, just to be healthier? Yeah, this isn't going to kickstart anything. You just aren't ready to change. When you are, you will.

Don't think that you can force yourself to do something better for yourself, by forcing yourself to do something stupid and potentially harmful to do it. That's like trying to make a snowball by blowing out the side of a mountain with dynamite... instead of just making it one flake at a time.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    eat less of what you are already eating, and do your best to avoid man-made foods.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    *gets out bingo card*

I fell off the wagon for damn near a month, and then I did this magical thing ... I started logging my food again, staying within my goals, and exercising lightly. I've already lost 3 pounds of water weight. Yay for my body doing it's thing!
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    We've all been there. We don't want to do the homework. We just want to have someone/something tell us what to do, bite for bite, step for step. You know that physically you're not going to benefit from a detox and to be honest, you won't benefit mentally either. Read the sexypants link above with an open mind and enough time to do a little bit of homework. Trust me, in the long run, you'll be glad you chose this path instead of a quick fix.
  • mykaylis
    mykaylis Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    if you are serious about wanting to do a juice cleanse, look up Joe Cross for suggestions. the juices will be fairly high in sugar, low in fat, and low in protein. despite the fact that cross did it for months, it is NOT a healthy long term solution. what i suggest instead is to incorporate vegetable (not fruit) juices, one or two servings a day, to flood your system with the micronutrients it needs to heal itself (if necessary) plus eat a very healthy diet of adequate protein, healthy fats, and low-glycemic carbs.

you'll find everybody here has strong feelings about a few things:
    -detox/cleansing is a useless waste of time and money
    -the only way to lose weight is by caloric restriction and what you eat to get those calories don't matter.

i found juicing to be a great help to me. basically, i'm not going to eat a whole head of lettuce. a whole bunch of spinach, a couple sticks of celery, 3-4 carrots in one day (because i would get sick of chewing). by juicing i get a whole bunch of nutrients (along with, admittedly, sugar and almost NO fibre) that i would not otherwise have eaten. that's pretty much all juicing is good for. green smoothies (where you use the whole leaf instead of just juice) are good in that they include the fibre.

ps. what's a stone? i know what a pound is and a kilogram.
  • fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I went to vegas for 3 days and detoxed by eating everything and anything. Now my body is ready for any food I throw in it.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Do a two day fast. And try the fast diet approach when you eat 500 calories a day. check it out on the fast diet website there is a forum also.

I don't agree with juice fasts. Especially not for a week.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Patttience wrote: »
    Do a two day fast. And try the fast diet approach when you eat 500 calories a day. check it out on the fast diet website there is a forum also.

No! Fasting for long periods of time is dangerous. This is dangerous advice.

For those who are going to argue he is talking about Intermittent Fasting, reread the statement. There is no talk about days above 500 cals.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    mykaylis wrote: »

ps. what's a stone? i know what a pound is and a kilogram.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=stone+in+pounds
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    There can be some psychological benefit to short term to fasting, or a modified fast, for some people. You have to be careful to eat appropriate calories when you are not fasting. Google intermittent fasting.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    luciloo2 wrote: »
    I need a week of intensive detox or juicing or some sort to get me back on it and feeling really good again. If I have something to follow I will do it to the letter. I know if I just try to do it myself (which I have the knowledge to plan) I won't stick to it. Has anyone done anything similar before that's worked well for them? I don't want to pay a lot of money for it and don't expect to loose a lot of weight, I want to do it purely for a motivational point of view.

@Serah87‌ gave you exactly what you asked for, but all you did was snark at them. "A Guide to Get You Started on Your Road to Sexypants" works. If you follow it to the letter, you will succeed. And it's free!

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    You don't need a 'detox', but you probably want something that helps you change your eating pattern.
    I, every now and then, stock the fridge with only salad fixings, prawns, and chicken, this puts me on a nice salad 'binge' for a week, and takes away the desire for foods that are more carb loaded.
    Not a 'detox' per se, but it does help me realign my desires.

Happy holidays, h.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Being impatient and calling people that are willing to help you negative
    Good luck with your weight loss.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    OP- Go to the library or book store and pick up virtually any diet plan book and it will almost invariably start with an initial aggressive phase, to give you some quick, large losses and bolster your motivation. Or even go to one WW meeting (probably free). The 'kick start' to diets is so common. Look at the Nutrisystem commercials this week even. They guarantee a 5-lb. loss your first week on their 'kick start' plan or your money back. Though I wouldn't pay big $ for a plan unless paying motivates you.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Patttience wrote: »

WUT? Just no.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I was waiting for the arrival of the detox threads!! why would anyone do it!!!
    all you lose is water weight anyway...once you eat real food again, BAM on the weight goes! sighhhhhh!!
    slow and steady wins the race, don't ya know that :-D just eat at deficit and move as much as possible and the weight loss will happen.