Dropping pounds with inspiring pals [CLOSED GROUP]

Options

Replies

• chrystal559
    chrystal559 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Shrimp Tacos & Cilantro Avocado spread
    Ingredients

Tortilla ( I unsed La Tortilla Factory- Hand Made Style Corn Tortillas)
    Raw shrimp
    1 avocado
    coleslaw mix or shredded cabbage
    chopped cilantro
    3 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
    2 tablespoons prepared salsa ( make it homemade)
    1 teaspoon of grated jalipinio
    Lime wedges

Preparation

Cook shrimp with the salsa

Combine avodado, grated jalopinio, cilantro and sour cream. Process black beans, sour cream, salsa and scallions in a food processor until smooth.

To assimble warm tortilla, then add a spoon of avocado spread, add shrimp and cabage. And enjoy
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    Made these tonight for dinner.
    Portobello Mushroom Cheese Pizza

img21392.jpg

Calories: 85 Carbs: 7 Fiber: 2 Fat: 5 Sugar: 4 Protein: 6 Sodium: 151
    Makes 2 servings (its 85 cals per serving)

Ingredients
    4 Tbsp - No Salt Added Tomato Sauce
    4 tsp (10g) - Kraft Parmesan Cheese
    4 Tbsp - Shredded Cheese (I used walmarts Fiesta Blend)
    2 Portobello mushroom Caps

Directions

1) Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F
    2) Cut out mushroom stem and ribs with spoon. Don't throw away, save to the side.
    3) Bake for 10 minutes, remove and drain juice. ( draining the juice and even blotting with a paper towel helps them from being watery)
    4) Chop up stems & ribs. Put 2 Tbsp of sauce in each mushroom, then top with stems/ribs, 2 tbsp shredded cheese, and tsp Parmesan cheese.
    5) Bake in oven additional 15 minutes.

* Let sit for a minute then eat.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    Options
    Sorry I haven't been leaving to many responses. I'm reading everyones posts though! I'll be better tomorrow. :)
  • chrystal559
    chrystal559 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I guess my whining is the same... I am so mentaly tired. I an tired of taking care of my mother and dealing with my grandmother. Me and my husband have been married for over 3 years now and have never lived on our own. We don't get to be like normal couples. We have been taking care of my mother because she can not live alone. I mean it is a huge deal for us to even go over and visit my in-laws. I love going over there because I get along with them so well. They accept me for me and don't have these expectations for me that my family has. They have loved me and treated me as a daughter since I met them.

I am trying to worry about me and take care of me and my mother makes it so hard. I just feel like I can't do it anymore. But I guess when she is in the hospital it gives me the well needed rest I need. I get to relax with my husband and feel like a normal couple. I love it. Which makes me feel bad because I feel like I shouldn't feel like this about my mother. But I do and there is nothing that will change my feelings.

Ok I guess thats it... It is 2am here and I have a long day today... Love you all and I better go.
  • rebecky27
    rebecky27 Posts: 842 Member
    Options

OMG those look amazing!!!!
  • tesshaney
    tesshaney Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Anywho - I lost 3.5 lbs as of my last weigh-in (friday). Woo hoo! I'm at 213.. if I can hold close to that (or less preferably) for the next week until school is out then I should be pretty set to hit ONEderland in no time this summer :bigsmile:
    [/quote]

That is awesome news!
  • tesshaney
    Options
    Hi everyone! back from the mountains. Trying to catch up on all of your posts so I may be an overposter this moring.
  • tesshaney
    Options
    Monday check in
    My diet has been ok but it is the end of the month and we are out of veggies and fruits. And so I eat alot of carbs at the end of the month. But I get food stamps in 2 days so I am going to load up on food. yeah

Do you have community gardens available in your area? Also, I buy the best and CHEAPEST vegetables right from my local farmers at the farmers market. Many farmer's markets now take food stamps but even outside of that vegetables are so cheap when you buy them direct. I can spen $5-10 dollars on a ton of food. Also, many farms have CSA's which allow you to have a guaranteed bounty of whatever a certain farm produces for a very low price. Some of my friends get together and purchase a huge box of fresh organic local in season vegetables and split the cost. Literally dollars after the cost is shared.

Another thing I do is to volunteer at my local Natural Foods Cooperative. There is one in every city. Not only do I get a member discount, I also get another discount for volunteering. In addition, the produce is local and organic and after a few days its put on a super huge sale to make room for the new farm deliveries.

Just some idea so that you are not stuck eating all carbs at the end of the month. Im a super veggie freak and would go insane if I could not have my broccoli, kale, or spinach.
  • tesshaney
    Options
    An update about my walking friend: I am trying to figure out the best way to tell her that things aren't working out and that, to be honest, she doesn't treat me well and therefore I need her to back off and leave me alone. I don't know if that phrasing of it is very good, especially because she holds a lot of power for the future of my professional career and I don't trust that she can distinguish between personal and professional. I wish I could go back in time and not even get myself in this mess.

Part of loving ourselves is establishing and then honoring our boundaries. Say what you mean without judgment on her and it wil be exactly the right thing to say. Make sure you keep language to reflect what your needs are and not how you are reacting to her actions.
  • tesshaney
    Options
    We are college kids, living in a college town that has every fastfood place you can think of, all of the pizza joints, and half a dozen Chinese and Mexican places each. Through in Pancake City and there seems to be nothing but temptation. Chinese I handle best (mostly veggies, no thick sauces, nothing fried) but I am just wondering how you guys deal with being tempted while with family and friends (especially when you just want to have a good time).

I have a similiar situation. Me and my friends are all single and we tend to eat out a lot. For instance, last night I had a black and blue burger. I got mixed veggies instead of fries. I had a whole wheat bun and then I only ate half of the burger. It already had blue cheese so I did not add may or mustard. It was very yummy. When I go out to eat mexican (MY FAVE!) I just order two tacos by themselves with no beans and no rice. It is usually just enough and I still have fun eating out with my friends.
  • tesshaney
    Options
    Shrimp Tacos & Cilantro Avocado spread
    Ingredients

Tortilla ( I unsed La Tortilla Factory- Hand Made Style Corn Tortillas)
    Raw shrimp
    1 avocado
    coleslaw mix or shredded cabbage
    chopped cilantro
    3 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
    2 tablespoons prepared salsa ( make it homemade)
    1 teaspoon of grated jalipinio
    Lime wedges

Preparation

Cook shrimp with the salsa

Combine avodado, grated jalopinio, cilantro and sour cream. Process black beans, sour cream, salsa and scallions in a food processor until smooth.

To assimble warm tortilla, then add a spoon of avocado spread, add shrimp and cabage. And enjoy

This sounds AWESOME!
  • tesshaney
    Options
    I dont have much to whine about this wednesday. I had such a great time on the mountain and all the food we ate was really good/fresh/vegan meals. This weeks goal is to get my mind right so I can start really utilizing my diary again. I have been blocking counting calories and I know its the only way to lose weight. Gaining 17 lbs in the last two months has totally crushed my spirit. I feel renewed however and ready to start the work again.
  • mrssavvysteve
    mrssavvysteve Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Where did you find the caramel, is it in like a squeeze bottle?

It is made by Smuckers, in a brown bottle (little green flag on the bottle that says fat free)
    I can tell you it is not in the Jelly isle -

*************************OMG - I forgot to tell you the best part.....******************************************
    B/4 you take out the ice cream - I take a microwavable bowl spray Pam add handfull of small marshmellows or couple 4-5 lg marshmellows microwave ( WATCH IT) once it get big over the rim open the door and take a spoon (sprayed with pam or not) and mix it then I drop the ice cream in the middle add whip cream/syrup/cherry if wanted.

I love the texture the marshmellow turns when hot meets cold ~ OMGosh! Mmmmmmm Like a mini sundae just for me!:love:

Crap - I dont have the calories left for tonight :(

@ Kroger, it is in the area with other "Ice Cream Toppings"
    Smuckers has a sugar free & Fat free caramel syrup and it is so YUMMY! :)
  • mrssavvysteve
    mrssavvysteve Posts: 239 Member
    Options

img21392.jpg

Calories: 85 Carbs: 7 Fiber: 2 Fat: 5 Sugar: 4 Protein: 6 Sodium: 151
    Makes 2 servings (its 85 cals per serving)

Ingredients
    4 Tbsp - No Salt Added Tomato Sauce
    4 tsp (10g) - Kraft Parmesan Cheese
    4 Tbsp - Shredded Cheese (I used walmarts Fiesta Blend)
    2 Portobello mushroom Caps

Directions

1) Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F
    2) Cut out mushroom stem and ribs with spoon. Don't throw away, save to the side.
    3) Bake for 10 minutes, remove and drain juice. ( draining the juice and even blotting with a paper towel helps them from being watery)
    4) Chop up stems & ribs. Put 2 Tbsp of sauce in each mushroom, then top with stems/ribs, 2 tbsp shredded cheese, and tsp Parmesan cheese.
    5) Bake in oven additional 15 minutes.

* Let sit for a minute then eat.

These look to DIE for good!!

I can't wait to make them!! YUMM YUMMY!!!
  • naesue
    naesue Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    My Wednesday Whine is kind of selfish! A really good friend of mine who I haven't seen in forever lives here in new jersey and we were supposed to get together this week on her day off instead she ended up having an endoscopy this morning to check out a lump in her throat. On one hand I am concerned for her and I hope that she is alright on the other hand I was really looking forward to going out and spending time with her this week and wish she would have told me sooner rather then me finding out this morning when I called her. I'm really bummed cause starting Friday I will be extremely busy taking care of my mom after her surgery.

So I didn't end up posting a recipie yesterday but today I made this for a dinner my parents are hosting tonight.

Pineapple Angel Food cake

1 box angel food cake mix that you just add water
    1 20 oz can of crushed pineapple in own juice
    1 1/2 cups of fat free cool whip

make cake mix according to the directions on box substituting the pineapple for the water. When baked and cooled completely slice into 12 pieces and top each with about 2 Tbsp of cool Whip.

Each slice is 181 cal, 0 fat, 319 sod, 35 Potas, 41 carbs, 0 fib, 30 sugar, 2 Pro, 0 A, 8 C, 4 Calc, 1 iron
  • cobarlo14
    cobarlo14 Posts: 582 Member
    Options

Pineapple Angel Food cake

1 box angel food cake mix that you just add water
    1 20 oz can of crushed pineapple in own juice
    1 1/2 cups of fat free cool whip

make cake mix according to the directions on box substituting the pineapple for the water. When baked and cooled completely slice into 12 pieces and top each with about 2 Tbsp of cool Whip.

Each slice is 181 cal, 0 fat, 319 sod, 35 Potas, 41 carbs, 0 fib, 30 sugar, 2 Pro, 0 A, 8 C, 4 Calc, 1 iron

OMG - I like - I Like!!!! I will make this one day!!!!! Thanks!!!

@naesue hope everything is ok with your Friend and with your Mom!!!
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Wednesday whine - I have to whine for a minute about office drama. I do not like it... even if it is sometimes mildly amusing. But for the last couple days it's been between the secretary & the paralegal (I do accounting for a law firm). The secretary is pissed because the paralegal is taking all sorts of files off of her desk and filing them away when they need things entered into them. She thinks the paralegal is trying to get her fired. I'm cool with both of these people (and the new intern who is taking a lot of the secretary's work behind her back at the direction of the paralegal)... and I know they want to vent to me. Ugh I hate it though because I don't want to get in the middle of it, I get along with everyone and can almost always see both sides to every story. I just listened to them get into it, and I have a feeling it's just going to keep getting worse everyday until one of them goes to the boss man.

Guess I'll just hide back in my office and lay low for the rest of the week. haha
  • cobarlo14
    cobarlo14 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Wednesday whine - I have to whine for a minute about office drama. I do not like it... even if it is sometimes mildly amusing. But for the last couple days it's been between the secretary & the paralegal (I do accounting for a law firm). The secretary is pissed because the paralegal is taking all sorts of files off of her desk and filing them away when they need things entered into them. She thinks the paralegal is trying to get her fired. I'm cool with both of these people (and the new intern who is taking a lot of the secretary's work behind her back at the direction of the paralegal)... and I know they want to vent to me. Ugh I hate it though because I don't want to get in the middle of it, I get along with everyone and can almost always see both sides to every story. I just listened to them get into it, and I have a feeling it's just going to keep getting worse everyday until one of them goes to the boss man.

Guess I'll just hide back in my office and lay low for the rest of the week. haha

I don't blame you - shut your office door...further from it you are - the better!!!
  • pinstripepirate
    pinstripepirate Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    @Tess: Congratulations on your loss! That's amazing :)

@Naesue: I've been meaning to try that recipe for a while now! I have a bunch of hungry girl brownie cupcakes and pumpkin spice cupcakes in the freezer though, so I won't make anything else until those are gone.

@Learning2Love: I think you're doing the best thing by staying out of it! That's a tricky situation to be in. Good luck!

I will stop being a slacker and post a recipe for something eventually... I've just been busy. When I get a chance to go through my Eating Well magazines that are piling up I'll post interesting things from there.

Wednesday Whine: It's raining and I'm tired... I just want to nap instead of exercise. I think I'm going to study for my psychology final (which is tonight!) for a little bit and then try to get myself to do some yoga.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    Options
    So I got this off the Walgreens walking website (I log my walks on there and give the coupons to my mom lol). Even though its about getting in walking, I think it had a good message that we all struggle with.....and that's feeling guilty for taking time for ourselves.

Make "Guilt Free" Your Goal
    By Joan Lunden

One hurdle we must face when starting a walking program is guilt. We think taking time for ourselves is selfish and taking us away from the people we care about. It’s hard to set goals under those circumstances, but in order to succeed, we really must cure ourselves of the congenital urge to please everyone else and apologize for caring for ourselves.

If it’s the time away that’s bothering you, fear not – the great thing about walking is that you can get the people you care about involved – put the baby in a stroller, bring your significant other or children with you. I even asked my daughter to make a cool playlist to take with me! But when you cannot be with them, be kind to yourself and know that a little “me time” is perfectly healthy and necessary.

If you tend to your own wellness, you’ll be able to take care of all of the other things in your life much better. Learning about self-awareness and self-care can have an amazing impact on all aspects of your life. Your family will notice a difference as you begin to rearrange your schedule to include a little fitness and play into your life. In my case, my children will tell you that I have more patience and more energy and that I’m a lot more fun. It’s certainly hard to feel guilty when you’re feeling fit and healthy, right?

If you’re serious about your health, make your first goal to take a certain amount of time each week to walk without guilt. Soon any regret will wash away and be replaced with a healthy sense of wellbeing, and you’ll be ready to take on the world, because you took the time to take care of yourself.