Whole 30 Challenge Starting January 2 , 2015.

Options

Replies

• blueyegirl0712
    blueyegirl0712 Posts: 135 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Daniat are you going to start a group?

I somewhat started already. I have already cut out processed/fake sugar. I would use so much of it in my hot tea it was crazy! Anyone who is planning on doing this feel free to add me! Good Luck everyone!
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options

Be careful at IHOP. They put pancake batter in their eggs to make them fluffier. So if you want to try and stick Whole 30, make sure you ask for egg only eggs lol

Well, that is frustrating. I am going with friends and didn't want to be "that person" on the first day of a new diet. I guess I have to be!
  • melodyg
    Options

I somewhat started already. I have already cut out processed/fake sugar. I would use so much of it in my hot tea it was crazy! Anyone who is planning on doing this feel free to add me! Good Luck everyone!

I'd love a group too!

I've been more conscious of what I eat. I tried coffee with just a little evaporated milk in it yesterday (it was okay, but I think I'll just stick to my flavored hot teas that I can drink without anything in them!) I've been eating Whole30 for breakfast the past couple of days (eggs fried in coconut oil, sauteed asparagus, and mandarin oranges - yum!). I've not completely avoided grains and dairy but I've restrained from eating all the leftover cookies and Chex mix that is here from Christmas (it just needs to GO AWAY, but other people live here!). I'm trying to think of Whole30 compliant snacks/food on the run and not coming up with anything except nuts, veggies, and hard boiled eggs. I'm making a grocery list for Friday's grocery store run (for food for the next week and a half, unless I need to run out to get more produce.)

• daniat
    daniat Posts: 123 Member
    Options

Hi Blue Eyed Girl,

I thought of starting a group but wondered if it might get less traffic. Maybe we can do both? I'll put one together tomorrow. Let's all plan to check in here until then.

• daniat
    Options
    Happy New Year Guys! Hope you all had a fantastic time and have woken up with the resolve to eat clean. I'm going to clean up my act a bit today and then it's full speed ahead tomorrow! I'm going to follow the rule of no scales until after the 30 days. So, I'll weigh today at the gym and won't again until the 31st.

I've started a group for us. Is anyone up for being a moderator?
  • cherastuart104
    Options
    I would love to join! I have never done this before, so I could use some extra help from the experienced.
  • qiqizhang
    Options
    I would like to join too! I've been counting for about half a year but didn't go on the forums much, but I see theres so much support here! :)
  • khearron26
    khearron26 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    melodyg wrote: »

I'd love a group too!

I've been more conscious of what I eat. I tried coffee with just a little evaporated milk in it yesterday (it was okay, but I think I'll just stick to my flavored hot teas that I can drink without anything in them!) I've been eating Whole30 for breakfast the past couple of days (eggs fried in coconut oil, sauteed asparagus, and mandarin oranges - yum!). I've not completely avoided grains and dairy but I've restrained from eating all the leftover cookies and Chex mix that is here from Christmas (it just needs to GO AWAY, but other people live here!). I'm trying to think of Whole30 compliant snacks/food on the run and not coming up with anything except nuts, veggies, and hard boiled eggs. I'm making a grocery list for Friday's grocery store run (for food for the next week and a half, unless I need to run out to get more produce.)

I believe that there are certain Larabars that are accepted on Whole30. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it says it on the Whole30 website. Anyway, you'll have to watch out for the ones that have peanut butter and chocolate. But the lemon ones are allowed and those are delicious.

Also, premaking snacks for the week is helpful! I like to cut up veggies like cucumbers and bell peppers in advance. And cutting up apple slices and putting a bit of nut butter in between to make little sandwiches is awesome.

P.S. My favorite nutbutter is sunbutter! Made from sunflower seeds. Once I tried it, I decided I like it better than peanut butter :)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

Be careful at IHOP. They put pancake batter in their eggs to make them fluffier. So if you want to try and stick Whole 30, make sure you ask for egg only eggs lol

Well, that is frustrating. I am going with friends and didn't want to be "that person" on the first day of a new diet. I guess I have to be!
    Be that person! Be that person all the time. That person loses weight! That person will be SO PROUD of herself when she's done! :)

Some people will cheer you on. You will find support from people you'd have never guessed would be a help.

Other people - and it's surprising who they turn out to be! - may try to belittle your actions, and especially after they see that your dedication is paying off and working - that's when they really ramp it up. It's pettiness and it's jealousy in it's purest form. Leave them to it and keep being that person.

Don't be dissuaded. Lose weight like you mean it. Don't be ashamed of anything you do that improves your health, even if someone close to you starts making fun.

Be that person! That person is confident and keeps going. That person knows she can accomplish her goals. That person works hard. That person succeeds!!
  • marisas80
    marisas80 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I've decided to try Paleo so am looking at doing the Whole30 to start. Probably won't start until the 5th. Need to go grocery shopping and want to do as much OAM cooking as possible since we are a busy family!
  • daniat
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

Be that person! Be that person all the time. That person loses weight! That person will be SO PROUD of herself when she's done! :)

Some people will cheer you on. You will find support from people you'd have never guessed would be a help.

Other people - and it's surprising who they turn out to be! - may try to belittle your actions, and especially after they see that your dedication is paying off and working - that's when they really ramp it up. It's pettiness and it's jealousy in it's purest form. Leave them to it and keep being that person.

Don't be dissuaded. Lose weight like you mean it. Don't be ashamed of anything you do that improves your health, even if someone close to you starts making fun.

Be that person! That person is confident and keeps going. That person knows she can accomplish her goals. That person works hard. That person succeeds!!

I love these words!!! I am going to strive to be that person! It's so easy to feel embarrassed about our choice to eat well.
  • daniat
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/101329-whole-30-challenge-starting-january-2-2015

Here is the link to the group!

Tomorrow is the big day! Can anyone figure out how to copy the text of the shopping list?

I tried to buy coconut milk today and they all seem to have some sort of additive. Any suggestions on a clean brand?
  • dzjohnson
    Options
    I'm gonna join in. Hoping this will jump start me!
  • HestiaMoon1
    HestiaMoon1 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    The coconut milk in cartons in the refrigerated section have carrageenan which is not really good for you. I have found the canned coconut milk in the aisle that has Asian/Thai foods don't have anything except coconut milk.
  • daniat
    Options
    Hestia- I picked up Thai Taste and it had carrageen. I ended up buying organic unsweetened coconut flakes and I'm going to try to make my own. I've posted the recipe in the group. I'll let you guys know how it goes.
  • fixmyself
    Options
    I've always wanted to try it, but I've been kinda scared to! I'm in, hopefully this will end well :)
  • khearron26
    khearron26 Posts: 171 Member
    Options

Thanks for saying that! I know just what you mean melodyg about being THAT person. And even if the people around me are supportive about it, I still end up feeling like a bit of a loner. And so thanks to Kalikel because this is what I need to remember!
  • melodyg
    Options

Thank you so much for this. :) Off to check out the new group!
  • melodyg
    Options
    I'll post this on the group too but I just made this ahead for supper tomorrow night and it looks great! I used Swanson's Cooking Stock for the broth and Hunt's tomato paste (ingredients: tomatoes) for the tomato paste. We canned tomatoes last summer so I used those for the canned tomatoes. Check your spices too, but everything else is meat and veggies!

http://lindawagner.net/blog/2013/11/paleo-chicken-tortilla-soup-recipe-why-you-should-cut-dairy-out-of-your-diet/index.html
  • mommycullen
    mommycullen Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Count me IN! I started today. And would love to be friends with others who are doing paleo and whole30 on MFP!

This will be my 5th whole30. I actually did a whole180 last year and it changed my life.