Whole 30 Challenge Starting January 2 , 2015.

Options

Replies

• Silmiriel
    Silmiriel Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm in! This will be my first Whole 30, and hoping it will not only help me to lose weight (I need to lose about 150 lbs.) but also help reduce my fibromyalgia pain and symptoms. Thanks for starting this group! :)
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    Options
    I'm down! The girlfriend and I started today.
  • jessIcalynn63
    jessIcalynn63 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I started a Whole30 today.. I would love to be part of this group :)
  • HestiaMoon1
    HestiaMoon1 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    daniat wrote: »
    Hestia- I picked up Thai Taste and it had carrageen. I ended up buying organic unsweetened coconut flakes and I'm going to try to make my own. I've posted the recipe in the group. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Look for Thai Kitchen premium first pressing unsweetened Coconut Milk. Coconut, water, and guar gum. That's the one I use for coffee, smoothies, and for making curry dishes. I think Taste of Thai brand is just coconut and water, also.
    Or you can, of course, make your own.
  • lilredhead314
    lilredhead314 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Despite being very hung over I started today! I'd love to have some friends who I can swap recipes with.
  • Jodyraedoula
    Jodyraedoula Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I started to day! I did it in November and had great results.
  • daniat
    daniat Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Hestia- I picked up Thai Taste and it had carrageen. I ended up buying organic unsweetened coconut flakes and I'm going to try to make my own. I've posted the recipe in the group. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Look for Thai Kitchen premium first pressing unsweetened Coconut Milk. Coconut, water, and guar gum. That's the one I use for coffee, smoothies, and for making curry dishes. I think Taste of Thai brand is just coconut and water, also.

Thanks Heista moon. It's the Guar gum that concerns me. I did find a can of Trader Joe's ligt coconut milk in my cupboard and it seems to be coconut and water. So,I can use that if my experiment fails
  • daniat
    Options
    [
    I started to day! I did it in November and had great results.

Joy, could you share your results and experience with us newbies?
  • daniat
    Options
    Good morning ! Just doing a roll call for the challenge so far.

JZygmunt72
    marianne7
    marisas80
    mommycullen
    silmmiriel
    unmitigatedbad
    jesslcalyn63
    lilredhead314
    blueeyegirl0712
    cherastuart104
    jayraedoula
    dzjohnson
    felinegraphics
    blueeyegirl
    melodyg
    analisareyna
    khearron26
    maasha81
    fonesca97
    hestiamoon1
    perkispower
    creativebellavita
    daniat

So far we are 23 strong. I'll be sending a reminder that the challenge starts today. Please stop by the group section and join the group. It would be really great if one of the experienced Whole 30 folks would volunteer to be a group leader since I'm also a newbie.
  • penny0919
    penny0919 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I've been wanting to do one for a long time but haven't had the courage (I have the book and everything lol). Anyway I'm going to Mexico next week or I might join you! Just wanted to post and leave this here, this website so awesome for recipes. Also make sure you check out Pinterest.

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/42057515329/the-round-up-30-days-of-whole30-recipes
  • blueyegirl0712
    blueyegirl0712 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I will probably fully start on Monday. I have some food left that I need to get rid of first. Don't want to throw it away.
  • blueyegirl0712
    blueyegirl0712 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    melodyg wrote: »
    I'll post this on the group too but I just made this ahead for supper tomorrow night and it looks great! I used Swanson's Cooking Stock for the broth and Hunt's tomato paste (ingredients: tomatoes) for the tomato paste. We canned tomatoes last summer so I used those for the canned tomatoes. Check your spices too, but everything else is meat and veggies!

http://lindawagner.net/blog/2013/11/paleo-chicken-tortilla-soup-recipe-why-you-should-cut-dairy-out-of-your-diet/index.html

Sounds great! Let us know how it tastes!
  • lotekgirl
    lotekgirl Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I started my Whole 30 today too! My sister is on her second Whole 30 as of today. She did one last January and saw tremendous results.

Once she completed the 30 days, she stuck to a Paleo diet up until fall time rolled around. As soon as she stopped following the paleo diet, she gained some weight back.

I would not really compare it to Atkins though. The Whole 30 teaches you to choose quality ingredients and nutrient dense, natural foods while the Atkins diet doesn't give a damn if the food is "clean" or not and doesn't focus on nutrition at all, just low carbs. Atkins markets and sells processed packaged food products at Wal-Mart...those are exactly the types of foods you want to avoid on a Whole 30 plan!

Some blogs I have found helpful with good recipes (some which are paleo and will need to be slightly modified to be Whole 30 compliant) are Peace Love & Low Carb, Good Cheap Eats, Wellness Mama, and Marks Daily Apple.

If you don't have the time or desire to make a lot of complicated meals or plan, a simple meal you can fix a hundered different ways any time of day is eggs with veggies & spices of your choice mixed in. I go heavy on the veggies to make it filling.

Good luck!
  • marisas80
    marisas80 Posts: 116 Member
    Options

Thanks Heista moon. It's the Guar gum that concerns me. I did find a can of Trader Joe's ligt coconut milk in my cupboard and it seems to be coconut and water. So,I can use that if my experiment fails

The Guar gum is approved. i looked it up as I already had a can in my pantry. And it's not bad in the coffee. :)
  • callie07623
    callie07623 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    started yesterday and just found this group! i'd like to join! I did the whole30 in October and loved it
  • linnabearrr
    Options
    I started my whole 30 yesterday! So far so good! I made spaghetti squash with spinach, tomatoes, and roasted shrimp for dinner last night!
  • marisas80
    marisas80 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Day 1 in the books! B)
  • SexyMaganda
    SexyMaganda Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Day 1 today! Eating my Aidell's chicken and apple sausage right now. :)
  • mskris803
    Options
    If its not too late I'd like to join!
  • creativebellavita
    creativebellavita Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I will be starting tomorrow when we get back from visiting family out of town! Hope everyone is doing well. Excited to be on this journey with you all! :)