How do I achieve how do I avoid the wider flat waist but a smaller waist (Pictures)

Options
Hyspin
Hyspin Posts: 76 Member
edited January 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
michellecomposite.jpg

Okay the following woman started about where I am starting in waist size. As you can see she achieves her goal in Day 14, and I am very happy for her. But here is where my problem lies. My goal is Day 10 but Day 14 is what I am trying to avoid.

I explained this a few times but I find people fall back on the same myth that women can't achieve a wider waist like men, unless they take testosterone, take steroids, or work out to the body fat is super low. But here is an example of women who isn't doing any of that.

http://allouteffort.com/2012/11/how-my-wife-lost-13lbs-in-2-weeks.html

Based of the workout of the link above I cannot tell what in her work out caused her to go from whittle waist in Day 10 to Wide boxy waist in week 14, so that I can avoid it like the plague

If any one help me solve the exercises that may result in the wider waist, and help me keep achieve my whittle waist that would be great.

:smile:

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    The only difference between day 10 and day 14 is lighting. Frankly, I don't think you should be so obsessed with how you look.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I would love the 10 day waist too. Not sure how she achieved this look in just 14 days...
  • suppakana
    suppakana Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Positioning and camera angles. That's really all that's going on. In the first three pictures she's holding her shoulders up higher, and in the fourth one she's hunching forward a little bit. Also in the fourth one she has her hands on her hips below her waist which will add to the illusion of what you call a "boxy" waist.

You can't really train your waist to a certain size; this is one area where it's either all genetics, or a really good corset.
  • Ishtancon
    Ishtancon Posts: 14 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I would guess the broader waist comes from an increase in abdominal strength training (Possibly the oblique mussels specifically) and genetics. The link does not work for me so I could not see the specific routine.

I would say to focus on your diet and not as much core training. This kind of goes against conventional wisdom, as a strong core is where a lot of your strength comes from as your core stabilizes your body. So, do not completely throw out the core, but maybe not as hard core.

A personal trainer consultation could guide you on specific exercises to sculpt your body the way you want. As long as you are happy with your body no one else's body matters.
  • Ishtancon
    Ishtancon Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    suppakana wrote: »
    Positioning and camera angles. That's really all that's going on. In the first three pictures she's holding her shoulders up higher, and in the fourth one she's hunching forward a little bit. Also in the fourth one she has her hands on her hips below her waist which will add to the illusion of what you call a "boxy" waist.

You can't really train your waist to a certain size; this is one area where it's either all genetics, or a really good corset.

Yes the camera angles and lighting also play a factor.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Get into a time machine and choose different parents. :disappointed:

Just kidding. My waist looks way, way, way smaller from the side than from the front. Have never quite been able to figure this out, but it was the same no matter what my size (on down to 95 lbs. with heavy workouts), fitness level, exercise type or eating plan. I think *overall* we're just built the way we're built. You can maybe tweak that in some specific way, to an extent, but I'm really not sure what way that would be.

This may not be your answer, but perhaps you should be satisfied that you've achieved the weight you have, and accept that all bodies are different.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Also, on Day 14 she's pretty obviously hunching forward (with her top half slightly closer to the camera, going slightly farther away as you look down toward her waist) and that she's crunching her abs in. ;) You can see it in the way she's hunching her shoulders and drawing her elbows way farther back.
  • analysisfangirl
    Options
    It's highly unlikely that this was achieved in just 14 days. Whether or not you look like day 10 or day 14 depends on your bone structure and oblique development. It looks like she built up her obliques between day 10 and day 14.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    You do realise that all 4 of those shots the body is the same

The only difference is clothes, body positioning, camera angle and lighting

The look is down to genetics and body fat percentage

Personally I don't want to go below 24% body fat! am currently 25.5%

body-fat-percentage-women.jpg

Ideal-Body-Fat-Percentage-Chart3.jpg
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Her weightloss probably had more to do with it than did her workout creating a new comp.

Perhaps she lost some fat off her hips, assuming for sake of discussion that there are no lighting, angle, posture issues - her hips look smaller to me, her waist doesn't look wider.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    Also, on Day 14 she's pretty obviously hunching forward (with her top half slightly closer to the camera, going slightly farther away as you look down toward her waist) and that she's crunching her abs in. ;) You can see it in the way she's hunching her shoulders and drawing her elbows way farther back.

Yeah, this.

I know what you mean, though, OP. What I have read from a few people is to avoid doing too much direct ab work (like endless crunches), other than planks for stability. Your abs get worked in standing weighted exercises anyway.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Planks ...as in stationary planks are useless for anyone but a total beginner
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Her waist didn't get 'wider' between date 10 and 14, it's more likely that her hips got narrower from losing fat, so she has less of a difference between her waist and hip measurements.

I very much doubt that happened in 14 days as the pictures claim though.
  • aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    She's Flexing In 14 AnD Not In 10, Which IsPushing Her Waist Out A Bit. That's What Happens When I Flex Hard Anyway.

Sorry My Phone Thinks Caps Are Cool For Some Reason Lol
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    It is not possible to have any physical change in body composition in 4 days. Jeez. The difference is in lighting and body positioning. If you twist your torso, your waist will look smaller and if you play with the lighting you can see more or less definition.

Personally, although I don't like the full six-pack look on women, I love having a bit of definition there. ;-)
  • StarvingAuthor
    StarvingAuthor Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Is this true? I am a total beginner and they are super difficult. I love them! If accurate, this is sad news!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You do realise that all 4 of those shots the body is the same

The only difference is clothes, body positioning, camera angle and lighting

The look is down to genetics and body fat percentage

Personally I don't want to go below 24% body fat! am currently 25.5%

body-fat-percentage-women.jpg

Ideal-Body-Fat-Percentage-Chart3.jpg

I love this!
    OP, agree with everyone else here, different angle/shot.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

Is this true? I am a total beginner and they are super difficult. I love them! If accurate, this is sad news!
    I don't believe planks are useless.

• williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options

I don't believe planks are useless.

I don't think they are either. There are so many variations of planks, some static and some dynamic, to add difficulty to the movement.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Once you can hold a plank for 20 or 30 seconds yes ...you would need to move to dynamic movements to make any difference