Smoothie Diet

Options

Replies

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    A smoothie is only pulverized food. It is only as healthy or unhealthy as what you put in it. So, yes, a smoothie can be a meal depending on what you put in it. I like to blend a frozen banana in a cup of soy milk as an evening treat smoothie. I get no different nutrition out of it than I would from eating a banana and drinking a cup of soy milk. I just like the mouth feel of a milkshake.

You need to determine what and how much you need to eat to maintain a healthy diet. Then how you eat it is up to you.

A helpful link for the "what" is http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/

To figure out how many calories to consume a day, you'll need to figure out your BMR or TDEE and lots of us can help you with that. Message me and I can help.

Wraps have absolutely NO effect except perhaps temporary extra sweat and you'll want to replace that with a post-exercise glass of water.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Holy cow the "Here's what you need to do" crowd needs to calm down. @Miamorcapers‌ - Do what you wanna do, if you feel the wraps make you sweat more, do it. IF you feel the shakes are taking some of your calories out of your day do it. Ignore all these "experts" and just keep up the good work!

so you are saying smoothies and wraps is a long term sustainable plan?????

• LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Yeah I've been there plenty of times. I I have to lose about 1800. The broccoli and taco sound good. How much weight have you lost?

Hi again! How's your day going?

I have lost 20 lbs. so far in about...hmmm. Nine weeks? I'm starting to lose track! I know how much I've lost but can't remember exactly how long it's been. But it's somewhere between nine and ten weeks.

My goal is 1360 per day. I do add on when I get exercise.

• LAWoman72
    Options
    Holy cow the "Here's what you need to do" crowd needs to calm down. @Miamorcapers‌ - Do what you wanna do, if you feel the wraps make you sweat more, do it. IF you feel the shakes are taking some of your calories out of your day do it. Ignore all these "experts" and just keep up the good work!

Look, she said she's really unhappy eating just the smoothies. We're giving her advice on what else she can do.

If she said she was thrilled with the smoothies, then you'd probably have a point, but she's not enjoying it, from what she's saying. So what we're saying is, there's a way to do this without just having smoothies.

• LAWoman72
    Options
    My kids had half a quesadilla and a banana, strawberry and yogurt smoothie for lunch today. They were thrilled!!! They thought they were getting some kind of big treat.
  • kittkat100
    kittkat100 Posts: 19
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I know its not great long term solution but sometimes when you first start dieting it is easier to eat things you are sure you know the calories on (or as close as listed anyway.) Sure it may be from can, box or package but it really gives you an idea just what amount of calories are in food. After two weeks you will start to be able to estimate random foods better and also will be more familiar with the settings on you app so you can feel more comfortable weighting, measuring and logging.

So lets say you are on a 1500 cal diet. You can eat pizza, fruit, veggie, chips, egg sandwich. Really whatever. Just keep it in you calorie allowance. This way if there is pizza ordered you can have a slice. Deprivation is probably one of the leading reasons people fall off diets.

As you progress into diet you will slowly be making changes..reaching for healthier options as you start to notice which foods hog up your calories for the day, and which give you lots more food to enjoy. It really is progressive. You don't have to start out perfect and knowing everything. You learn as you go and really will catch on to and click with something that works. Your tastes will adjust. :)

Simple things. Know you BMR and know you TDEE.
    This will give you an idea where to set you daily limit.
    I actually go by weekly calories instead of daily. MFP shows you how many you have left per week and what you daily calorie average is an it has helped so much. This way if I really want to go over I just adjust it later on. I set a daily number but I will borrow from it once a week if the mood strikes. I need flexibility in diet or I get frustrated.

I would keep the smoothies for enjoyment but I wouldn't make a diet of them. May be too much sugar. Try them for breakfast occasionally if you enjoy. Me? I'd rather eat so I do smoothies probably once/twice a week max.
    Recipe I like
    Frozen berries (by in bag) or Frozen mangos
    Mixed greens to include spinach, kale, arugula (salad mix)
    banana
    cucumber
    frozen broccoli/carrot mix
    coconut oil
    little yogurt
    almond milk
    splash of 50/50 OJ

Really anything thing fruit or veggie works. I buy a lot of frozen just so it keeps longer and the smoothie wont require ice.

Good luck with this. I think if you start browsing the forum and peeking into diaries you will see you can eat well and still lose weight. It doesn't have to be so hard. At the end of the day it really is just about the calories. I eat like crap somedays and still lose steadily. I take it day by day, mood by mood.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    abatonfan wrote: »
    I know a lot of people are going to hate my answer, but you do not need to go on a specific diet to lose weight. It's all about Calories in versus Calories out. You don't need to eat exclusively smoothies to lose weight, and, especially when you're looking into losing a large amount of weight, you need an option that you know you can sustain on for months/years afterwards.

I gotta agree here. I like a good smoothie, but don't do a "smoothie" diet.
    You mentioned that you "fall off" your diets. Maybe try eating less, moving more, and just incorporating more nutrient dense vegetables. Try to hit your "macros" on here, and try to eat some good healthy plant foods. Stick some in a smoothie, sure. But not for every meal.

oh, and wraps? Women have been trying wraps for eons (saran wrap even). They don't work.

Good luck.
  • Miamorcapers
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »

Yeah I've been there plenty of times. I I have to lose about 1800. The broccoli and taco sound good. How much weight have you lost?

Hi again! How's your day going?

I have lost 20 lbs. so far in about...hmmm. Nine weeks? I'm starting to lose track! I know how much I've lost but can't remember exactly how long it's been. But it's somewhere between nine and ten weeks.

My goal is 1360 per day. I do add on when I get exercise.

Lol my daughter actually likes the smoothie a lot too. I was suprised. 20lbs is awesome.
  • Jericha1992
    Jericha1992 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I'm surprised by everyone's reactions to smoothies. From the information I looked up I honestly thought a smoothie could be equivalent to meal if you made it the right way. Guess I have a lot to learn.

don't believe everything you read on the internet :)

Look at this away …would you rather..

A: drink three smoothies a day and restrict everything that you view as "bad' and be a starving mess? < this - IMO - will eventually lead to binging and then you are going to hate yourself…

OR

B - eat three to four meals a day of food that you like, be satiated, not feel like you are torturing yourself, and lose weight or the long term? I mean are you really going to drink smoothies for the rest of your life to keep weight off..???

Lol, does make a lot of sense. I wasn't only going to make smoothies. I am just so tired failing at diets. I'd try just about anything.

Yes! This exactly!
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

You realize that what you are saying is not healthy. Dehydrating yourself isn't a good idea at all…which is all the wraps do is dehydrate you.

OP…NDJ knows his stuff…

Figure out your TDEE and go from there. Here's a bunch of helpful links…I know it'll be a lot at once, so just take your time reading thru them…

I am a constant work in progress. I have ups and downs. No matter what I keep at it. I don't believe in fad diets or quick fixes. I don't believe in detoxes or cleanses. It's all about making choices/decisions that you can STICK with for the rest of your life. It's a lifestyle change, not a diet.

Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice.
    -Wayne Dyer

It's about moderation not deprivation. There are no good/bad foods, only bad eating habits. Do or do not, there is no try. You have to want it, you have to work for it, you have to realize that only you can do it.

Read these:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1346163-change-your-mindset

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ihad/view/the-path-of-success-631437

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819925-the-basics-don-t-complicate-it

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1217573-so-you-want-to-start-running

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

TL:DR the link right above this one then ->http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

Excuses??? http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2014/06/02/the-no-excuses-play-like-a-champion-challenge/

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

Want to lift heavy things?
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Stronglifts Summary
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

Sorry buddy but wraps and smoothies aren't sustainable for long-term success :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

I'm trying to fathom how she could be getting anywhere near enough calories from just smoothies based on the one she posted.
  • twopeas2
    twopeas2 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Sent a friend request OP :D
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

I'm trying to fathom how she could be getting anywhere near enough calories from just smoothies based on the one she posted.

I was wondering the same thing! She must be starving. I hope she will take the advice she's been given and start eating solid foods. Of course she can still have a smoothie but I wouldn't replace it with a meal (unless she adds protein powder and drinks it for breakfast). I personally need solid food in the morning to get me going but I know plenty of people who feel ill if they eat a heavy breakfast. If she is one of those people, a smoothie with protein powder would be perfect for her!
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options

She can't. Not with that recipe. Mine are closer to 500 calories, and I only have one a day, usually for breakfast/first meal. I guess I could technically have 3 of those a day, but somehow I still think I would be looking to chew something and wind up over my calories.

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Wow. It's refreshing to see someone actually take the good advice given and ditch a fad diet! Nice job, OP.

And sweating more doesn't lead to fat loss, just water loss. It comes back when you rehydrate. So you don't have to spend time/money on wraps, just work out and you'll get the same results.
  • Abberration
    Options
    Smoothies can be delicious, and with the right I ingredients a valid sub for a meal (I agree with bfast or lunch)

My recipe from today:

.75 cup organic unsweetened soy milk
    .25 cup frozen strawberries
    .25 cup frozen blueberries
    1 Chobani peach fat free Greek yogurt

High in protein and delicious!!!!!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

de7e652f509899cde0d0c83be4ca8259.jpg
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^^^ best gif ever!
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised by everyone's reactions to smoothies. From the information I looked up I honestly thought a smoothie could be equivalent to meal if you made it the right way. Guess I have a lot to learn.
    If you are going to do that for one meal watch your total fiber for the day, that can mess up your digestion and back things up if you don't get enough. How about a quest bar for breakfast, good protein and fiber. At least add bananas and berries, things like that which give you good fiber and make sure to have enough protein, have some balance.