Has anyone acheived any Success on Phentermine ?

Options

Replies

• scottkjar
    scottkjar Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I used Phentermine successfully for a few months. The main benefit for me was that by stopping the hunger, Phentermine gave me time to learn to eat better and exercise. I did NOT regain the weight, and I am still down 60 pounds which I lost using the drug. However, the side effects can be powerful.
  • ThickFit86
    ThickFit86 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why everyone is having psychological issues while taking it. Maybe that was an underlining issue that they didn't know about. But i had success taking it and so did mom. I was happyand peppy. I liked it. She lost 80 lbs and i 30. Phentermine is simply an appetite suppressant and as someone said, it won't do the work for you it's only an aid to keep you from going over. My dr gave me a diet and prescribed the Phentermine to help me stay on track. There r side effects, dry mouth which will make you want to drink water like crazy (Which in my opinion is good lol), it slightly speeds up your heart rate which makes you burn tons of cals all day. And that's probably why Some of these ppl say they feel like they're on speed lol. Also by it speeding up your heart rate it'll be hard for you sleep. So they recommend you take the pill before 9am. That'll give it plenty of time to wear off before bed. If you feel like you're going to need an early nap or something, don't take it because you can't fall asleep during the day. For me it normally wears off in 12hrs. So if you go to bed at 10p don't take the pill 3pm. Good luck
  • ejcanavan
    ejcanavan Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I came to this site while coming off of it after my blood work came back extremely abnormal for cholesterol and triglycerides in September. She gave me 6 months to get my numbers down or go on meds and of course all results vary just like with anything else. I came for support on how to maintain, not to be chastised or be accused of looking for a magic pill. Some of these responses here may come from high count posters but it doesn't make you an authority. Snubbing your nose in the air helps no one.

The comments are extremely rude and people are genuinely interested in what others experience in the real world. I'm sure their doctor wasn't as honest and being able to read someone's experience here is better than any "internet reviews".

For myself it worked great for the first 2 months and I still exercised and had regular blood pressure checks and liver tests. The last month I noticed I was more on edge with anxiety so I chose not to continue it even though she offered it another month.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    ThickFit86 wrote: »
    I'm not sure why everyone is having psychological issues while taking it. Maybe that was an underlining issue that they didn't know about. But i had success taking it and so did mom. I was happyand peppy. I liked it. She lost 80 lbs and i 30. Phentermine is simply an appetite suppressant and as someone said, it won't do the work for you it's only an aid to keep you from going over. My dr gave me a diet and prescribed the Phentermine to help me stay on track. There r side effects, dry mouth which will make you want to drink water like crazy (Which in my opinion is good lol), it slightly speeds up your heart rate which makes you burn tons of cals all day. And that's probably why Some of these ppl say they feel like they're on speed lol. Also by it speeding up your heart rate it'll be hard for you sleep. So they recommend you take the pill before 9am. That'll give it plenty of time to wear off before bed. If you feel like you're going to need an early nap or something, don't take it because you can't fall asleep during the day. For me it normally wears off in 12hrs. So if you go to bed at 10p don't take the pill 3pm. Good luck

It's a recognized side effect. They list it as "rare" but "severe mental changes" and even hallucinations are there.

http://www.drugs.com/sfx/phentermine-side-effects.html
    http://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-4151/phentermine-oral/details/list-sideeffects

It does not mean that the person already had the issue. I've never had any trouble like that before or since. The doctor told me that it just does that to some people.
  • itsMcKay
    itsMcKay Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    A friend's mom took Phen-Phen when we were 12. She lost some weight then gained it back plus a lot more. She was the fattest person I'd ever met til I was about 20. Now, she's been on a diet of 800 calories per day for the last six years and is still morbidly obese. It had seriously detrimental effects on her health. Don't do it.
  • Lissa_Kaye
    Lissa_Kaye Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried that kind. I used a suppressant called Adicor and loved it, now I can't seem to get it anymore. It was and herb/caffeine blend. I think the caffeine suppressed my appetite just enough to still eat but discouraged binging. I got great energy but was still able to sleep at night. I think as long as you use them as a supplement as directed, barring any allergic reactions you should be fine. I always worry about long term drug effects. Most drugs are tested for other conditions, then if patients report a common side effect they market it for other uses the drug was not intentionally developed for.
  • aprilflower18232
    aprilflower18232 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I took it for 3 months and lost 50 pounds. Went off of it and I have lost 110 pounds since. It is not a quick fix, the key is to "relearn" how to eat when you are taking it.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    The thing is, its an appetite suppressant. And when you stop taking the medication, your appetite comes raging back.

Honestly, if you go about things the right way, (and i'm not saying there is only one right way), losing weight is not hard and its not beyond you.

Honestly you can do it. But if you are doing it the wrong way you will probably find it hard and give up too soon.
  • CarrieCans
    CarrieCans Posts: 381 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Even if phentermine wasn't the "bad" half of phen-phen, i am still leery of any product meth addicts use to hold them over in between binges. This isn't info i got from a study, it's something i have seen first hand.
  • mylyhud
    mylyhud Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I just take 1/2 and it works fine- with hardly any side effects, I'm losing about 2 lbs a week and sleep really well.
  • lizfiz50
    lizfiz50 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I think the distinction that people who have little knowledge of this pill is that it is NOT Fen Phen. Phentermine is the safer component of that Fen Phen combination that has been illegal for nearly 20 years. It is given by prescription.

It is not for everyone. Some have several side effects while others do not. Some people lose, some don't.

In my experience, I've benefited from taking it for 3 months. I managed to keep the weight off for 3 months post-phen, but now, I am having a hard time staying on track.

I'm back on it to get to my goal weight. I made me super focused, peppy, chatty, and at times, moody (mainly with my husband).
  • lizfiz50
    Options
    CarrieCans wrote: »
    Even if phentermine wasn't the "bad" half of phen-phen, i am still leery of any product meth addicts use to hold them over in between binges. This isn't info i got from a study, it's something i have seen first hand.

Then you better stop taking cough medicine.

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    I hear another side effect is it causes you to bump 4 month old threads on message boards.
  • lizfiz50
    Options
    what are you, the thread police?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Yes ma'am...here's my badge

thread_police_badge-jpg.1441
  • lizfiz50
    Options
    Well, aren't you special.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    lizfiz50 wrote: »
    I think the distinction that people who have little knowledge of this pill is that it is NOT Fen Phen. Phentermine is the safer component of that Fen Phen combination that has been illegal for nearly 20 years. It is given by prescription.

It is not for everyone. Some have several side effects while others do not. Some people lose, some don't.

In my experience, I've benefited from taking it for 3 months. I managed to keep the weight off for 3 months post-phen, but now, I am having a hard time staying on track.

I'm back on it to get to my goal weight. I made me super focused, peppy, chatty, and at times, moody (mainly with my husband).

Perhaps you're having a hard time staying on track because taking a pill is not teaching you sustainable life changes? It's legal speed. It affects your appetite. It doesn't teach you how to eat or move to lose and maintain weight long-term.
  • jesikalovesyou
    jesikalovesyou Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I have been taking phentermine (prescribed by a military doctor) for a couple months and I have had NO negative side effects. I do have dry mouth occasionally - but that makes me just drink more water. :smiley: My doctor put me on it for a month, I stayed off of it for a month, and back on. I lost about 15 lbs on the meds and I lost 5 lbs when I went off. I am back on right now.

I think some people might be using it for a quick fix, but not everyone. It is important to change your lifestyle while on the medication. You have to learn how to eat normal portions that are appropriate instead of overeating. You have to use the time you are on wisely because you can gain everything back.

I have never taken speed, but I know I am not feeling anything like that. My heart doesn't race, I don't get moody, or chatty. Everyone reacts different, however.

I am just annoyed that people generalize that everyone who takes phentermine is taking "speed". Not everyone is the same and their bodies are different as well.
  • bre11217715
    bre11217715 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am currently taking it ,but I will tell you the truth I've had to understand that it is just a tool. It is just to help me with the first few months so I can have some form of control with my appetite. I was prescribed medication because I was getting hunger pains .I was not having issues with cravings because I was ready to be serious with my health. I needed it because my hunger was too extreme. It is important that you realize that you have to change the way you think, you will still need to sacrifice and put in the work to maintain the weight off .good luck if you have any questions please feel free to ask me.
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    That *kitten* is nuts, makes people a&&holes