Should you leave your OH if they are not supportive?

Options
K8Y88
K8Y88 Posts: 48
edited January 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
My partner is not supportive at all he never puts me down but he will always buy me take outs/ give me massive portions ect (I don't eat them all and say no) but I just want a bit of support! He is a bit of a slob doesn't eat any fruit of veggies doesn't exercise I'm not asking him to id just a bit of encouragement for myself. I have not been happy with my weight for a while and if I'm totally honest it is making me depressed I am going to make sure I still to my goals this year

I just wanted to know if anyone is in this same position?

Replies

• Chocothundathighs
    Chocothundathighs Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've been in that position. I think most people feel bad about themselves when they see others making an effort to lose weight. My boyfriend is the same way eats a lot of fast food and sits on the computer all day. He would ask me every time he went out if I wanted anything and in the beginning I would say something but now I've worked up the strength to say no. You've just got to be stronger and let him know how important this is to you. I've also learned letting him know what foods I can and can't eat helps too. During Christmas he would let everyone know I couldn't eat a certain food, it was nice.
  • michelemabell
    michelemabell Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Not in the same position currently, but have been in the past with an ex, why dont you suggest you both lose weight, do it together, tell him straight your watching what your eating and hes not making it easy, and he needs to get behind you in this, cause it means so much to you hunni x
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    What he does doesn't matter for your progress. Are you expecting him to basically do exactly as you do? He needs to live his own life according to his own priorities as well. I live with my parents, my mom eats way too much and my dad doesn't eat enough while not eating enough protein. Neither of them exercise. Hasn't stopped me from losing over 25lbs.

Get your own servings (since that's really the only way you'll be able to accurately log it anyways, assuming you weigh your food). Eat your own food. Do your own thing. No one in my family weighs food or lifts weights, I'm not planning on making them do any of that.

If he buys you take out, then if it doesn't fit into your calories for today then log it for tomorrow and eat it tomorrow, and thank him for buying you food. Or simply ask him to call you when he goes to buy food so that you can choose what you want or decide against it entirely.

And as a general comment, it's really not all that smart to not eat foods you enjoy just because you're trying to lose weight. If you enjoy take-out and you buy it sometimes, then eat it. CICO still works with junk food and fast food.
  • K8Y88
    Options
    Ana as I said in my post I'm not expecting or asking him to do what I am, I couldn't care if he wants to be obese whereas I am tired of it and want to change for myself
  • lifeskittles
    lifeskittles Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I'm married to that person. You can't expect him to give you that support. You need to keep saying why it matters to you, and explain that healthy food makes you feel good about yourself, etc. You need to find the courage in yourself to tell him you don't want the foods he brings you, and eventually he will stop and start bringing you stuff you will eat. Everytime he tries to to give you something you don't want you just need to be firm and say "thank you for thinking of me, but I have to follow through with my commitment to myself"
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    You leave your OH if you don't love him and communication has broken down

Why is your title so dramatic?
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Have you communicated how you'd like him to support you in your efforts and how his actions feel to you?

No one here can give you lasting relationship advice because we're not living it, but having known my partner for half my life, I know one thing: people aren't mind readers. TALK about your needs.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    What he does has no impact on what you do. If he buys you food, just don't touch it. Eventually he'll get the hint.

And, well, talk to him, and explain to him that it bothers you if he keeps buying you foods that you're trying to avoid, and ask him to stop (but make sure to tell him that he's perfectly allowed to get himself what he wants, but you'll just make your own food). As the poster above said, communicate. If that doesn't help, then yeah, that's another issue completely.
  • K8Y88
    edited January 2015
    Options
    How is it "so dramatic"? I'm just asking a question..
    rabbitjb wrote: »

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I think you need to sit down and talk to him, especially if he is not listening to you and respecting your wishes and you openly describe him to others as a "slob." Sounds like there's quite a bit going on there that needs to be addressed.
  • WithWhatsLeft
    WithWhatsLeft Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    What he does doesn't matter for your progress. Are you expecting him to basically do exactly as you do? He needs to live his own life according to his own priorities as well. I live with my parents, my mom eats way too much and my dad doesn't eat enough while not eating enough protein. Neither of them exercise. Hasn't stopped me from losing over 25lbs.

Get your own servings (since that's really the only way you'll be able to accurately log it anyways, assuming you weigh your food). Eat your own food. Do your own thing. No one in my family weighs food or lifts weights, I'm not planning on making them do any of that.

If he buys you take out, then if it doesn't fit into your calories for today then log it for tomorrow and eat it tomorrow, and thank him for buying you food. Or simply ask him to call you when he goes to buy food so that you can choose what you want or decide against it entirely.

And as a general comment, it's really not all that smart to not eat foods you enjoy just because you're trying to lose weight. If you enjoy take-out and you buy it sometimes, then eat it. CICO still works with junk food and fast food.

^^^^^ THIS
    My other half is supportive, but he's at the opposite end of the spectrum, he needs to gain.

So I don't need him to eat like I eat. I don't need him to do what I do in order for me to do it. I work out all the time, he doesn't.

Might not be so much that he's not supportive, just that he's doing what he's always done. You've learned you can't do that anymore, so don't.

You do you. Maybe one day your guy will get motivated when he sees your progress and how good you feel, maybe not.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

Because it's just an excuse in a different form, and OP is not realizing it yet. Let's blame the spouse for not giving support and stalling said weight loss efforts.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »

Because it's just an excuse in a different form, and OP is not realizing it yet. Let's blame the spouse for not giving support and stalling said weight loss efforts.

Well yes and no. If my husband kept bringing my trigger foods home FOR ME, knowing I'm trying to limit them, and especially after I told him not to, I would be peeved, honestly. Excuse or not, it's harder to resist when it's here, and if a SO does that repeatedly, I don't think it's particularly healthy for a relationship.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    K8Y88 wrote: »
    My partner is not supportive at all he never puts me down but he will always buy me take outs/ give me massive portions ect (I don't eat them all and say no) but I just want a bit of support! He is a bit of a slob doesn't eat any fruit of veggies doesn't exercise I'm not asking him to id just a bit of encouragement for myself. I have not been happy with my weight for a while and if I'm totally honest it is making me depressed I am going to make sure I still to my goals this year

I just wanted to know if anyone is in this same position?

Sit down and have a talk with him/her saying exactly what you just said to all of us. Beating around the bush will get you nowhere, dropping hints in hopes "he/she gets it" doesn't work either. Be an adult and sit down and say "this is how I feel and why" I need you as my spouse to support what I need"

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    OdesAngel wrote: »

Well yes and no. If my husband kept bringing my trigger foods home FOR ME, knowing I'm trying to limit them, and especially after I told him not to, I would be peeved, honestly. Excuse or not, it's harder to resist when it's here, and if a SO does that repeatedly, I don't think it's particularly healthy for a relationship.
    Just because a spouse is non supportive via apathy route, that doesn't seem like grounds for break up. I'm aware that there are three sides to a story so just going by what the OP is saying.
  • ana3067
    Options
    Ana as I said in my post I'm not expecting or asking him to do what I am, I couldn't care if he wants to be obese whereas I am tired of it and want to change for myself

Then you have to be an adult and make your own choices. Like I said, serve yourself at meals. Choose which items from a fast food place you'd like to eat, or figure out how much of it you can eat today and save the rest. My dad has on occasion come home with a pizza for me (only has 4 slices and is one of the few gluten-free options that I like and that doesn't upset my stomach) without my planning for it. If I can see that it fits into my day then I'll eat it. If I can only fit 1-2 slices in then that's all I'll eat.

Your partner is not doing anything wrong. He can eat what he likes. If you don't want the food he brings, then that's on you to make the decision. I took over for most of the cooking in the house now so that I can have control of caloric intake - so I can weigh everything and weigh the dish's final weight so I can appropriately figure out a proper serving that works for my macro and caloric needs.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    To answer your question: no, you shouldn't leave him. Unless there are deeper issues that can't be resolved or remedied, this would be a pretty silly reason to leave your partner. If you are doing something for yourself, stop expecting others to put on their cheerleading costumes. Yes, it's nice, but it's not crucial for success.

I'm the only person in the house who is trying to lose weight. My mother is an avid cook and would make and bake all kinds of high calorie delicacies quite often. If I can eat it that day, I do, if I can't I don't and just prepare my own meal. It's that simple.

My sister knows I love certain sweets and high calorie snacks, so she brings me some from time to time. It makes me happy she thought of me, just as happy as I feel when she calls me up and tells me the store has some kind of new whole grain or bran (I love grains).

This issue is really simple to resolve: sit with him and have a talk. Tell him you are trying hard to lose weight, and that it would make you happy and healthy. That you don't expect him to change anything about his diet, and that you appreciate him thinking of you buying you whatever he buys for himself, but that it would be much better and you both would be happier if he asks you before buying takeouts, to plan your food accordingly and see if you can have it that day.
  • ana3067
    Options
    How is it "so dramatic"? I'm just asking a question..

because you are asking if you should end a relationship basically over your partner buying you unwanted fast food. Which you can still eat, by the way, and lose weight. Unless I've actually hallucinated all of those donuts and chips and popcorn and candy and muffins and cinnamon buns....
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    *head scratch* Have you TOLD HIM what you want from him. I'm just an old lady and all, but after having been around the lighthouse a few times in the stormy seas of romance, I can say that asking specifically for what you want can be really awesome.