Anyone else really cold?

Options
1235»

Replies

• Spiderkeys
    Spiderkeys Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    UmmSqueaky wrote: »
    My sister has long complained that her fingers are always cold and discolored in the winter. I thought, just get thicker gloves. And now that I'm about the same weight as she is, I truly do understand. Never hand my hands been so cold in winter. And they've never been discolored before now :/ I've finally found a drawback to losing weight!

Same thing happens to me, I'm outdoors a lot in a garage, until I can work no longer, my fingers and sometimes feet, begin to go so cold and thumb until I can't feel them anymore, but just have to go inside and soak them in warm water, then after a few minutes I'm back outside again with pins and needles of course.
  • Rose6300
    Rose6300 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I am cold all the time. This winter's been unseasonably warm in New England, but I have to wear tights under my pants to keep warm, even in the house. I'm pretty sure it's the weight loss, as all my blood work is normal. The tights are just replacing the layer of fat I lost. :smiley:
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Re swollen dry itchy eyes - check into Sjogren's Syndrome
    - excessively cold discoloured hands & feet - check Reynaud's syndrome (my brother & niece both had/have this. http://www.hyperhidrosis-usa.com/raynauds.html

- Also, I have fibromyalgia (diagnosed by MD & Rheumie) and my core temperature actually drops during & after exercise. It's one of the possible problems with FM and it does suck because exercise normally warms someone up, but not me.
    - Just because your thyroid is in the 'normal' range is it your normal, or possibly too low for you personally. Make sure they have done full panels, not just the quick check stuff.
  • Ulwaz
    Ulwaz Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    im always cold ;c
  • leanne0627
    leanne0627 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    are you all eating enough? Having a slightly lower body temperature can be caused by a lack of food. Anorexics tend to have body temperatures around 96 to 97 degrees but even to a lesser scale if you have been low calorie for awhile it can cause a lower temp. You can take your temperature and if its a few degrees less than normal then that could be why. If your temp is normal then maybe its just the weight loss and not having all that fat to keep warm? not sure, but I know I used to always be cold when I lived in florida lol no idea how its possible there but id wear sweaters in the summer! But I ate like crap and was anemic now that I have that fixed im fine.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Metabolism is, quite literally - heat.

And if like most dieters that aren't being careful, you are losing upwards of 20% of your weight as muscle mass, then you have less means of producing easy heat.

Also, in those types of extreme diets, one of the ways the body adapts is by lowering what you burn daily, by slowing down higher level functions of metabolism - like producing heat.

This is usually discovered as a nice extra when someone takes a diet break during the winter, and body is willing to produce more heat. Since that takes energy, usually discovered they can still lose a bit even though eating more. And be warm most of the time.

Just another reason outside the already commented medical reasons and loss of insulation. But many notice it when they still have plenty to go.
  • CeddysMum
    CeddysMum Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Provided there are no health issues causing it, I'd consider it normal after losing a lot of weight. Last winter (it's summer here, Down Under) I was Freezing all the time after having lost much of my "blubber".
  • pocketrocket42
    pocketrocket42 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm always cold too, but I'm just one of those people who's always cold. I was like this even before I lost weight.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    leanne0627 wrote: »
    are you all eating enough? Having a slightly lower body temperature can be caused by a lack of food. Anorexics tend to have body temperatures around 96 to 97 degrees but even to a lesser scale if you have been low calorie for awhile it can cause a lower temp. You can take your temperature and if its a few degrees less than normal then that could be why. If your temp is normal then maybe its just the weight loss and not having all that fat to keep warm? not sure, but I know I used to always be cold when I lived in florida lol no idea how its possible there but id wear sweaters in the summer! But I ate like crap and was anemic now that I have that fixed im fine.
    Given that my weight has been stable give or take a max of 5 pounds for years, I don't think not enough food would be the issue. I blame it on not naturally having much body fat.
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Also, do you notice white bruises on your fingernails?

I get white spots in the pink of my fingernails when I have a zinc deficiency. I wouldn't call them bruises, though...
    http://www.newhealthguide.org/White-Spots-On-Nails.html
    http://www.md-health.com/White-Spots-On-Nails.html
    You may want to talk to a Dr. about this...
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    nxd10 wrote: »
    I am freezing all the time. I can feel the air is warm. I am dressed in warm clothes. I am COLD. Fingers and toes feel cold to the touch. I am inside in front of a fireplace wearing a sweater, flannel shirt, jeans, socks, slippers and a hat.

I don't have an eating disorder (really - I've been on here a long time and eat the calories I'm supposed to, log my exercise, and eat those calories back) and am well within a healthy bmi (21). When I was in high school and college - a gazillion years ago - I was this weight and also always cold.

Any suggestions? Fat seems to help - I just ate some peanut butter and can feel myself warming up. Baths help too - they can warm me up for hours. Anything else?

I haven't read all 4 pages, but just wanted to say: you WILL adjust if the coldness is due to loss of body fat. I almost regretted losing my last 10 lbs. the first winter. I was SO cold I could barely function! Miserable. However, I have adapted and it's not nearly as bad now. The human body is a wonderful thing when you take care of it properly.
  • Aust1967
    Aust1967 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Aust1967 wrote: »
    Aust1967 wrote: »
    I have lost 50 lbs. over the past year and a half - and now I am freezing all the time (not just my hands and feet, but my entire body). This is brand new - I don't have a history of being cold at all. I went to the doctor today just to make sure it isn't due to a thyroid issue and/or low iron. He thinks that the coldness might be related to another issue I have been experiencing - my lips and eyes have started swelling overnight (in the morning it looks like I got collagen injections in my sleep) - and, I have been having night sweats (which I chalked up to peri-menopause so wasn't concerned about). They drew blood and he's going to have lots of tests run to see what is going on. I might not hear until next week - I'm anxious to see what the verdict is.

Please post what your doc says if they figure it out. I've been having the same -- night sweats, puffy eyes When I get up in the morning, and being cold all the time.

The nurse called me yesterday morning - all of the tests they ran came back "normal". She was done when she told me that and was ready to hang up. I said "Ok, so what can I do about my issues?". She was surprised and asked me what my issues were. I told her about the swelling of my eyes and lips and also being cold all the time. She said she would ask the doctor. She called back tonight - the doctor wanted to make sure I was taking a multi-vitamin because maybe I am lacking somewhere. She said "take something like One-a-Day for Women". I informed her that I do take a multi everyday - I take the Target store brand that is equivalent to Centrum Silver. She said "good, keep taking it". She said that the doctor wants to consult with someone else on my case (I have a "case"?) and she would call me back in a couple of days. So, I don't know anything yet. :(

I've started taking Benadryl every four hours thinking that maybe the swelling and itchiness is from allergies. My eyelids are swollen, dry and extremely itchy. And when they water it burns my skin. Ugh. Will post again when I hear something.

I still haven't heard back from the doctor. My face (lips and eyes) are swelling worse this week so I called and made an appointment with an allergist next Wednesday.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Since I lost weight, the cold does bother me more, and my hands get cold a lot. It can take a long time to warm them up.
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I've only lost 29 pounds, with 51 still to go. Before I started losing I was HOT all the time while others around me were freezing. Now I am cold all the time and have to cover up just to watch TV even though I dress warmly. If it's the weight loss, I'll take it. I get blood work and check up every 3 months, so I know I'm physically okay.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I am always cold. I too am smaller these days. Someone correct me, but you burn more calories being cold as you expend more energy to stay warm.. I think I read this someone where.

I have to put on extra layers even in the house and I even sleep in socks in the winter time!
  • hamminit
    hamminit Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Have your Thyroid checked :) the cold is a major indicator
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Being cold can burn calories - if your body is willing to spend the energy to warm it up.

But that's part of the problem with diets, especially big deficit ones. Unless faced with drop of core body temp, it's not.

If you are feeling cold, the body is obviously not spending that energy, because it wants it elsewhere. If you feel warm enough even in slightly cooler setting, then your body is expending it.

And while it does have an energy cost, you'd have to reach shivering phase with the muscles really moving to expend a decent amount.
    I had the study at one time, it was equal to a decent VO2% in exercise.
    But not hard to imagine, all your muscles working out at once.
    And you'd have to be cold enough to accomplish that, that you couldn't do it very long before core drops too much.

Pretty sure it would barely if at all balance out the reduction in physical activity that happens in the winter anyway.
  • rdonald57
    rdonald57 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    move to Texas, I don't think that is much of a problem down here.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    rdonald57 wrote: »
    move to Texas, I don't think that is much of a problem down here.

Are you kidding? It has been hovering at freezing here in Houston this week, and growing up in West Texas, there is no colder wind than the winds that sweep through the Panhandle and West Texas...