Dealing with people who try to derail you.

Options
I know this topic comes up a lot, but I just need a little rant.

I need to lose weight having been told in October that I probably have idiopathic intracranial hypertension (increased pressure in the skull cause by too much cerebro-spinal fluid), which is putting my sight at risk. This diagnosis was confirmed last month following a lumbar puncture and I have now started medication. Apparently the best treatment is weight loss. I have lost 18lbs since October and need to lose a further stone (14lbs) to be at the higher end of the normal BMI for my height. Ideally, I'd like to lose a further 20lbs. I can't think of a better incentive to lose weight than ridding myself of this unpleasant condition and coming off the nasty medication.

I haven't talked about dieting at work, although people know my diagnosis, as we're a small, (generally) friendly team and I've needed time off for scans and tests, but having returned from 2 weeks' holiday leave, it's apparent my weight loss has now been noticed.

The same colleague who habitually tells people who are slimming that they don't need to lose any more said the same to me today. Unsurprisingly, she's overweight herself, but she says it whatever weight anyone is when she can see they're starting to lose some. She said the same to another colleague this time last year, who just smiled and carried on losing 30lbs, which she has kept off.

I currently weigh 11st 10lbs (164lbs) and at 5'5, I'm still overweight! I certainly don't look skinny either, just slimmer than I did before. I just said 'I'm being guided by the doctors on this as it's the best treatment for my condition' but she laughed and said 'oh, they say that to everyone! You really don't want to lose any more!'. I changed the subject then, as I wasn't prepared to listen to any more negativity, but I'm still feeling frustrated. I don't comment on her weight! It won't put me off what I'm doing, but I still find it irritating, which is also bad for my condition, as my head starts pounding when I feel stressed or annoyed.

Anyone else had this delightful experience recently, and if so, how did you deal with it?

Replies

• zac775
    zac775 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Mate, dont let her derail you, if this weight loss is going to help you in a medical sense then just do it. Dont bother with her, the only reason she is saying this, is to make herself feel better about her own look, she doesnt want to be noticed at work. If you work in a place and all about the same weight, size etc. Then she can blend in, when the people around her start to change, then her comfort zone changes and poeple start to notice her, for the what she thinks is the wrong reason, and she doesnt want to deal with her own weight issue.

So stick at it mate, dont let her stop you as you are traveling in the right direction and for the better.

Good luck and take care.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Say "thanks for your input" and move on. It's a woman at work, she shouldn't have any effect on your goals, particularly when it involves medical issues.
  • LadyRN76
    LadyRN76 Posts: 4,275 Member
    Options
    People will constantly try to derail you - sometimes unknowingly - sometimes in spite. Let it go - focus on your goal and why you are getting healthy. In the end - the only one that matters is you. Your opinion, your body, yourself. Best of luck!
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Misery loves company. Focus on what you need to do to live a healthy life.
  • JVS1
    JVS1 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your reply, zac, that's really helpful. You're right about her blending in. Before me and the other colleague started to lose weight, she was probably the 4th heaviest out of the 6 of us in our team, but now she's moved up to second place, so I suppose her way of dealing with it is to try and keep us up in the overweight ranks with her, instead of her joining us in the slimmer ranks! Thanks again for your support.
  • JVS1
    Options
    Thanks for your replies everyone - ironic that we both work in a doctors' surgery!
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options

You'll be surprised how many people in life try and get in your way. **** them.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like she was trying to be nice. Would you rather that she say "lose another 25 pounds and you won't be fat"?
  • SD2bfit
    SD2bfit Posts: 11
    Options
    First off, CONGRATULATIONS on reaching your first milestone goal!

I work in healthcare, too. I have found the setting I work in greatly influences the attitudes of my coworkers towards a healthy lifestyle. Doctors offices and hospital workers surprisingly have the worst attitudes towards healthy eating and exercise. Don't listen to them! Surround yourself with like-minded people, like this discussion board on MFP. Read motivating stories and quotes to keep you on track. Stay focused on your medical goal. I remember when Oprah was trying to lose weight, even ran a marathon. Then, one day, she finally gave up and said she was happy with who she was. She let women believe its okay to be obese.

Well, it's not. It contributes to health conditions and makes people suffer, especially as they age. I see it every day at my work, taking care of these people. That's what motivates me the most--I don't want to become my patients, with all their medical conditions and chronic diseases, medications, and negativity. I will never be super skinny, but I can be a good role model for my patients, my friends, and especially my young nieces and nephews. Maybe this will help you keep your focus. But definitely, don't let this woman derail you. Focus on the people that keep encouraging you to reach your goals. We are here for you!
  • JVS1
    Options
    Sounds to me like she was trying to be nice. Would you rather that she say "lose another 25 pounds and you won't be fat"?

If she'd said that, I would have directed her towards the mirror. I would prefer it if she said nothing at all to be honest. I wasn't inviting any comment on my weight, just as I don't comment on hers. She started the conversation 'You're looking very skinny now (which I'm clearly not), but you need to stop losing now as it's starting to be too much' - er, hardly, when I have my doctor, my mirror, my clothes and my scales saying the opposite. Didn't feel very nice. Others have just remarked in passing - "You look like you've lost some weight - well done, you're looking much better for it!" which I would consider to be nice comments, if people feel they must comment at all.
    SD2bfit wrote: »
    First off, CONGRATULATIONS on reaching your first milestone goal!

I work in healthcare, too. I have found the setting I work in greatly influences the attitudes of my coworkers towards a healthy lifestyle. Doctors offices and hospital workers surprisingly have the worst attitudes towards healthy eating and exercise. Don't listen to them! Surround yourself with like-minded people, like this discussion board on MFP. Read motivating stories and quotes to keep you on track. Stay focused on your medical goal. I remember when Oprah was trying to lose weight, even ran a marathon. Then, one day, she finally gave up and said she was happy with who she was. She let women believe its okay to be obese.

Well, it's not. It contributes to health conditions and makes people suffer, especially as they age. I see it every day at my work, taking care of these people. That's what motivates me the most--I don't want to become my patients, with all their medical conditions and chronic diseases, medications, and negativity. I will never be super skinny, but I can be a good role model for my patients, my friends, and especially my young nieces and nephews. Maybe this will help you keep your focus. But definitely, don't let this woman derail you. Focus on the people that keep encouraging you to reach your goals. We are here for you!

Totally agree - I'm amazed by the increasing size of our healthcare staff in the UK, not sure about the US. My husband and family are very supportive of what I'm doing, so I'm definitely focusing on them. Thanks for your support.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    Old saying "Hang around dogs and sooner or later you'll get fleas". Honestly, the best thing to do is say "Thanks" and continue with what you're doing. There are people out there that believe that the advice they give will be precious to the person they're telling to. Many times it's not the right advice.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • JVS1
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Old saying "Hang around dogs and sooner or later you'll get fleas". Honestly, the best thing to do is say "Thanks" and continue with what you're doing. There are people out there that believe that the advice they give will be precious to the person they're telling to. Many times it's not the right advice.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Yes, I think I'll be taking a leaf out of the other colleague's book, who smiled and continued to lose her 30lbs. The colleague who made the comment to both of us is actually a really lovely lady in so many ways, who is great team player, as well as being excellent at her job, which is why I've probably taken her remarks more to heart than someone else I don't really care about. I suppose we all have our Achilles heel and her own weight is hers.

Thanks for all the replies, guys! :)

• Gigglegirl220
    Options
    I can understand your frustration. I have a boyfriend that likes to keep me chubby. Unfortunately, I have type 2 diabetes and need to lose weight. Both my mom and grandmother died very young due to health issues. I don't want to follow in their footsteps. I have realized that I need to make smart choices for myself. I have let other people influence my decisions all of my life and I need to start living for myself. Others can either be happy with my success and support me or they can get out of my way. That is my new attitude for 2015!!!
    Good luck to both of us!!!!
  • xmarye
    xmarye Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I could be mad when my husband tries to hand me donuts, but instead it just makes me even prouder to have such self-control. Just yesterday, he was telling me ''come on, it's just one. You have lost so much already, you deserve it. '' No, what I deserve is to be comfortable in my own skin. To be confident to go out and get the things I want (like a new job). Don't get me wrong, my husband is all over really supportive and proud of me. But even him sometimes isn't perfect. He definitely isn't on a diet and I can't take that against him. I am the one with a weight problem, by my own fault, and now the matter is in between my hands to change that if I'm not okay with it.
  • khr771
    khr771 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Offer to show her MFP.
  • JVS1
    Options
    Gigglegirl and xmarye, you are absolutely right. I'm certainly using it as incentive to continue on my journey - I just feel better for having had a little rant! :smiley: Good luck to you too!

khr771 - I would probably do that if she asked me how I was doing things as she wanted to make changes in her own life, but I generally don't like to give unsolicited advice, particularly as I would probably be told I shouldn't continue with this hideous devilry! :wink: :smiley:
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I don't allow people to derail me, I just "let it go", LOL, in one ear and out the other ear.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone saying that she sees you rejecting your situation and misery loves company. That said, if it legitimately bothers you, you could privately talk to her and tell her that it makes you uncomfortable when she talks about your weight. I don't know if she'd take you seriously (she sounds.. tactless) or laugh you off, but it's something to consider. I use the "broken record" technique for people who make me uncomfortable in life.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    JVS1 wrote: »
    another colleague this time last year, who just smiled and carried on losing 30lbs, which she has kept off.
    JVS1 wrote: »
    if so, how did you deal with it?

You should have asked your colleague. She sounds like she has it sussed.
  • slucki01
    slucki01 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    just follow your colleague's example: "who just smiled and carried on losing 30lbs, which she has kept off."