Options

Replies

• sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    jkwolly wrote: »
    Hahah that happened to me once - I lost weight and then our secretary said she wanted to lose weight too. She said she would try to do Weight Watchers (which is what I did until I found this nice free thing called MFP) and then she showed up with a cleanse instead! And was saying it would make her lose weight because clay (yup, clay - like mud) is good for you. Say WHAT!? lo and behold, 3 weeks later if she hadn't gained it all back - and she just blamed it on going back to eating, no mention of the fact that cleanse didn't do anything for her in the first place.
    I heard clay can be pretty filling.

I just figure it doesn't have any fat, fiber, or protein. Might be rich in iron at least.

That's funny I just had to look, I couldn't find a nutrient profile for clay but I did see an article talking about how pregnant women eat dirt sometimes. "Mineral content in clays vary from region to region, but many contain high levels of calcium, iron, copper and magnesium." I guess it can hit your micros, but I'd rather just eat things grown from the clay.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I usually will say one of two things
    1.) good luck with that.
    2.) and what's the purpose behind doing that? (assuming I have nothing to do at work and I am willing to entertain such drivel)
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I lost 60lbs last year and for some reason everyone now seems to want to tell me about THEIR diet! They don't usually ask how I lost the weight, they just start in by saying things like, "I've decided to give up sugar, or carbs or...." Things like, I am eating my food on a smaller plate from now on or I have quit snacking in the evenings... Well okay then! :smiley:
    I just have no idea how to respond to these people!
    I usually say, "Oh really? Well good for you - or How is that working for you?"
    Have any of you have this happen after significant weight loss?
    Believe me when I say, I do not judge anyone for being overweight! Heck - I was overweight most of my life so I have no room to judge - I am just thankful that I finally came to my senses AND found MFP. When a few people have asked me how I did it, I always point them to MFP but I never offer unless asked. That would just be rude.

I get this a lot too. I don't know how to respond either. I'm not remotely interested in what other people eat. I normally just look gormless.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    sheepotato wrote: »
    Hahah that happened to me once - I lost weight and then our secretary said she wanted to lose weight too. She said she would try to do Weight Watchers (which is what I did until I found this nice free thing called MFP) and then she showed up with a cleanse instead! And was saying it would make her lose weight because clay (yup, clay - like mud) is good for you. Say WHAT!? lo and behold, 3 weeks later if she hadn't gained it all back - and she just blamed it on going back to eating, no mention of the fact that cleanse didn't do anything for her in the first place.

I just figure it doesn't have any fat, fiber, or protein. Might be rich in iron at least.

That's funny I just had to look, I couldn't find a nutrient profile for clay but I did see an article talking about how pregnant women eat dirt sometimes. "Mineral content in clays vary from region to region, but many contain high levels of calcium, iron, copper and magnesium." I guess it can hit your micros, but I'd rather just eat things grown from the clay.
    Well, that went right over. :|
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

I've heard of that - it's called pica I think. Pregnant women and children sometimes get the desire to eat non-edible things like rusty metal, coal, dirt, and glue.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    LOL I think I'm past caring. If anything about the person indicates they're not ready to make the effort to weigh, measure, log, count, and bust their butt working out for the long haul, then I am not going to spend my time explaining it to them only to be ignored. You wanna drink ScamShakes(tm) and sweat in a plastic suit in front of your TV while I eat my prepared from scratch 1200 calories and kill myself at the gym? Go ahead. We shall observe the results.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    It sounds like they are just trying to find common ground in conversation. They have noticed your weight loss and instead of saying, "Gee you used to be fat," they are letting you know that they feel comfortable talking to you about diet/exercise etc because it is something you are familiar with.
  • micheledavison39
    micheledavison39 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    A woman I haven't seen in a couple of months came up to me recently and was all "You look amazing, how much did you lose? How did you do it?" So I was telling her about MFP and she says, "Counting calories is too much work, I'll just do Atkins again, it always works" and walks away. My jaw must have about hit the floor, "it always works"? as in, she has had to do it more than once and it didn't stick. She had lost more than 50 lbs in 2013 and put most of it back on in 2014.
  • sheepotato
    Options

Well, that went right over. :|

Oh no I think all those cleanse and wackadoo ideas are very silly and a little funny. Curiosity got the better of me and I had to look for any redeeming value of eating clay.
  • sheepotato
    edited January 2015
    Options
    A woman I haven't seen in a couple of months came up to me recently and was all "You look amazing, how much did you lose? How did you do it?" So I was telling her about MFP and she says, "Counting calories is too much work, I'll just do Atkins again, it always works" and walks away. My jaw must have about hit the floor, "it always works"? as in, she has had to do it more than once and it didn't stick. She had lost more than 50 lbs in 2013 and put most of it back on in 2014.

My grandmother kept going back to atkins, she would eat nothing but steak, cottage cheese and pork rinds. I hated seeing her do it to herself but it was better than some of her stranger diets like only eating bananas and fig newtons for 3 months. She has finally stopped dieting, but only because she's on dialysis. :/ I tried to get her to give MFP a try a few times when she's brought it up over the past few years but she says it seems complicated. I offered to cook for her and log the food to show her how it works.
  • jillianedwards
    jillianedwards Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    "Weighing your food? That sounds obsessive, I could never do that."

I hate that! haha No it keeps me from eating too much which is very easy to do!
    I also hate when people are like "oh shes on some crazy diet so she cant eat those donuts" no.....i can eat them just fine, but i would rather use my calories that i have on something that will actually fill me up lol
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    It's funny when they compliment on how great I'm looking, ask what I'm doing so they can do it too. Although I don't tell them about mfp, I do tell them I'm eating less of everything I've always eaten. Then they get this disappointed look like, " Oh, that won't work". I feel like grabbing them from their collar and shaking some sense into them and say, "Hello? You just said I look great at how much weight I've lost... it'll work for you too!!" Smh... I guess they're expecting I'll share some sort of magic diet fad or something. :ohwell:
  • twrobbel
    twrobbel Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I am in corporate training, and what you describe is human nature and how people learn the best. People don't like to be told what to do, but learn best by self discovery through open dialogue- which is what they are most likely doing. Every person believes they are unique (and they are), and is looking for ideas that may work for them.

For me, I get inspired by others and I want to talk to someone who was successful. When I have asked in the past what people have done, its a very generic answer. I need specifics and many people can't provide that. So after many years of asking, I sometimes just don't ask (or I already know what "program" was followed through conversations with others).

So when I talk about my plans, it is partially in hope that the successful person can offer advice/resources for me to consider (and specifically how that resource was helpful for you) AND/OR ask how they can offer their support in helping me achieve my goal (ie: please call me on the carpet if you see me grab a pop). I want to hear about how someone overcame the daily challenges I face and finally found a way of doing it with success. I want to find new ideas that may work for my lifestyle. I want someone to not tell me what to do, but to ask me the right questions to get me to think of a solution that works for me. But at the same time, I don't know what I don't know.

Also, for me talking it out, this helps me to commit/take action. I like to talk about problems and solutions, which really does motivate me. When I talk, I take action. When I stop talking, its a sign action has stopped.

So, when people talk to me about their weight loss plans- even if I agree with the method or not. I offer them support/words of encouragement, ask them to talk about it, I share resources with them & how it helped me (where appropriate), I ask how I can help them and then I suggest we talk over strategies to overcome obstacles. That way, they walk away from the conversation inspired and supported.
  • FitnessTrainer69
    FitnessTrainer69 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I lost 60lbs last year and for some reason everyone now seems to want to tell me about THEIR diet! They don't usually ask how I lost the weight, they just start in by saying things like, "I've decided to give up sugar, or carbs or...." Things like, I am eating my food on a smaller plate from now on or I have quit snacking in the evenings... Well okay then! :smiley:
    I just have no idea how to respond to these people!
    I usually say, "Oh really? Well good for you - or How is that working for you?"
    Have any of you have this happen after significant weight loss?
    Believe me when I say, I do not judge anyone for being overweight! Heck - I was overweight most of my life so I have no room to judge - I am just thankful that I finally came to my senses AND found MFP. When a few people have asked me how I did it, I always point them to MFP but I never offer unless asked. That would just be rude.

Maybe they want you to approve of their choice. It might be a statement and question together. I have people do the same and I usually just tell them "good job". Only because half of them never stick to anything. The guys who stick to something are the ones I usually will interact with about diets.
  • ElizabethObviously
    ElizabethObviously Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I told my mom about MFP once and how the support of people, logging foods and exercises really works. This was near the beginning of my weight loss journey...she got real snotty with me and says "Yeah and how is that working for you?" Her version of dieting is eating less than 500 calories (400 being from coffee creamer) and walking 5-10 miles a day....Umm fast forward....50 pounds lost...Seems to be going pretty well actually mom!
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    I don't know why people are like that, I think sometimes people ask just so they can talk about themselves.

Also I'll never understand why people will believe any ridiculous plan or pill will work but when you show them/tell them about MFP and they say 'Oh that will never work.' SMH.

BINGO is not just the name of a dog...nailed it. "You look great; now let's talk about me"

• Anniepi66
    Anniepi66 Posts: 45 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    It's so hard for people to be positive about your weight loss. They are jealous or insecure. The ones who say they lost 50 pounds doing thus and such and gained it all back sometimes say stupid stuff like, "Well, enjoy it now. It will all come back." Nothing you can say. And by the way - GOOD FOR YOU! :)
  • Cheyenelikewyoming
    Cheyenelikewyoming Posts: 52 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    @AmigaMaria001
    Your post made me think of this....lol
    db3ppt3cgg3b.jpg
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    When I tell people (when asked) how I did it, I often get surprised responses like "you didn't have cut out bread, starches, carbs, etc?" Many just want to hear some secret that will let me lose their extra weight without really having to do anything.

I am proud of the few I did introduce to MFP though. I hope they're as successful with it as I was.