Whole30 and hating it

Options

Replies

• mezeade
    mezeade Posts: 19
    Options
    Yeh, I forgot I was exhausted most of my whole 30, this was before white potatoes were allowed. Luckily I don't exercise because I would come home from work and just lie around buggered most nights. Probably like the cave man, lol.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Another fad diet that vilifies certain foods with little scientific validity. In fact, the requirement to cut out whole grains is flat out wrong! You need whole grains and the fiber in them to keep you healthy. Check out Harvard's NutritionSource and the Healthy Eating Plate for better, science-based, non-commercial diet advice.

Moderation is ABSOLUTELY the best approach. Determine the number of calories that is right for you and then eat healthy.

Throwing in the towel on a silly fad diet just shows you are the smart one!!

I know I am being nitpicky, but whole grains are not necessary for fibre. Beans, legumes, fruits and veggies are all excellent sources of dietary fibre. Nothing wrong with grains in moderation, I eat them, but they are not necessary, and it is quite possible to have a very healthy diet with or without whole grains.

I agree moderation sounds like a better approach for the OP. I don't know the program referred to, but if you feel hungry and deprived it's just not the right approach for you.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Another fad diet that vilifies certain foods with little scientific validity. In fact, the requirement to cut out whole grains is flat out wrong! You need whole grains and the fiber in them to keep you healthy. Check out Harvard's NutritionSource and the Healthy Eating Plate for better, science-based, non-commercial diet advice.

Moderation is ABSOLUTELY the best approach. Determine the number of calories that is right for you and then eat healthy.

Throwing in the towel on a silly fad diet just shows you are the smart one!!

For everyone on the planet?
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    How on earth does one "milk" a cashew?
  • Hopingforchange
    Options
    sjaplo wrote: »
    LOL. I guess cashews are ground down to milk.

Whole30 does not allow for dairy, grains, or legumes. Only veggies, fruits, meats/seafood and healthy fats.

I miss my greek yogurt and cheese and coffeemate creamer. So restrictive!

• jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    sjaplo wrote: »

with tiny little fingers
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    If you hate it, it's not sustainable. Stop doing it and do something you know you can happily maintain forever.
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a legitimate medical allergy/sensitivity to certain foods, moderation within a calorie goal is a more sensible life-long approach. There's no reason to restrict foods you love (and may still be healthy for you) just because a diet book says so. I eat grains and dairy every day and have no issue, and would be miserable without them.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about the Whole 30 program. What I do know is that to lose weight, get healthy, and have a chance of sustaining both for a lifetime - no program can do that for you.

Aim for 1-2 lbs per week and eat real food. Maintain a calorie deficit (I try to stay within 5% of what MFP says I should be eating) and move. That will get you where you want - and be able to stay there.

20757594.png
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    If this is something you cannot do for the rest of your life, then don't do it at all. I chose to cut down on certain foods, but not eliminate them, because I know I can't live the rest of my life without them. Enjoy your food!
  • Africanbluebasil
    Options
    I am a bit confused. I kept hearing about Whole30 so I looked at it and got the impression it's a short-term exclusion diet that is used to figure out if you have food sensitivities, not a diet followed with the purpose to lose weight. Am I not understanding something?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I am a bit confused. I kept hearing about Whole30 so I looked at it and got the impression it's a short-term exclusion diet that is used to figure out if you have food sensitivities, not a diet followed with the purpose to lose weight. Am I not understanding something?

That's right. Lots of people use it to lose weight or start a paleo diet, though, or so it seems.
  • lea1117
    Options
    As someone who has had really great results with Whole 30-type programs, i completely understand your frustration; it can be really hard! Personally, I found it to be worth it to stick with it, though. May I ask what you've eaten in the past few days and a little more about your symptoms? I may be able to suggest a few ways to make it easier before you completely throw in the towel.
  • Hopingforchange
    Options
    The towel has been thrown. I have been eating chicken, turkey, eggs, lots of veggies, cashews from time to time. Very little fruit. Sweet potatoes. I am bored with it, I feel sluggish with no energy to work out. I refuse to make my own mayonnaise when I use so little of it. I miss having a glass of milk before bed.
    I had chicken and roasted sweet potatoes for dinner. I guess some habits will stick with me.
    I don't want to go back to lots of processed crap, but this was too restrictive for me to sustain long term
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Stop doing that and instead just eat healthy foods from all the food groups to total your target calories. The MyPlate method suggests that half your plate should contain nonstarchy vegetables, 1/4 meat/protein, and 1/4 starch/carbs.
  • lea1117
    Options
    I totally understand and I'm glad you did what's right for you!
    If you do ever want to try again (or for anyone else on a whole 30), I find making sure I'm eating some good-quality red meat (3-4 reasonable/small servings a week), a green-tipped banana before working out (easily digestible starch), and plenty of fat (salmon, olive oil, leaving the skin on chicken, oh and I "cheat" and use butter instead of ghee..sue me...) makes it infinitely easier. Too much chicken and veggies and I, too, just CANNOT handle it. I also eat tons of spaghetti squash with homemade marinara for variety when I would rather not eat than eat protein/veg again for dinner. Benefits for me were improved hormone levels though, so if you're just doing it to lose weight/kick off healthy eating, you're right it's probably not worth it.
    I definitely agree with what everyone else said...if you're miserable you'll be happy and healthier doing something else!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

YUP
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    The towel has been thrown. I have been eating chicken, turkey, eggs, lots of veggies, cashews from time to time. Very little fruit. Sweet potatoes. I am bored with it, I feel sluggish with no energy to work out. I refuse to make my own mayonnaise when I use so little of it. I miss having a glass of milk before bed.
    I had chicken and roasted sweet potatoes for dinner. I guess some habits will stick with me.
    I don't want to go back to lots of processed crap, but this was too restrictive for me to sustain long term

You feel sluggish from eating real food. Are you eating enough calories? The whole30 isn't meant to be a "habit", it's meant to be an elimination diet.

I agree about not building a diet out of "lots of processed crap" but again, it's a whole THIRTY. It's not meant to be a long term thing. Did you read the book or just follow the foods list?

Find something you can do for the long haul. Start simple. Incorporate more whole foods. Or strive for a mediterranean style eating plan. Or just aim for a "balanced plate"
    http://anti-aginghealthsolutions.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Balanced-plate.gif

there are many ways to eat healthy AND lost unwanted weight.
    Good luck! You can do this!!!
  • pink00007
    pink00007 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I was very sluggish first two weeks I did it. Would just go home and pass out.
    After that I felt so energetic, it was amazing! Wish I kept a journal but oh well.
    It's def not for everyone.
  • pope705
    pope705 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Why/how are you hungry on whole30? Are you getting your 2 cups of veggies with every meal including breakfast? 2 cups is a lot of veggies!
    Also, if eggs and sweet potato for breakfast are driving you crazy, try something else! Leftovers make great breakfasts. When I do whole 30 (round 2 is starting 9 Feb 15) I often eat leftovers for breakfast, like pork chops or ground beef, and asparagus/portabellos for veggies. I just take a bunch of asparagus, remove the woody ends, add 3 to 4 sliced portabello mushrooms, and a sliced onion, throw on some olive oil and throw in the oven for 15-20 mins at 375. Its a lovely side dish that pairs well with just about anything.
    Also check out theclothesmakethegirl.com and nomnompaleo.com for other whole30 recipes.

Whole 30 is a lifestyle adjustment. It's tough, but it is worth it in the end. Have you checked out the forums over at whole30.com? I think the address is forum.whole9life.com
    Lots of great advice to be had there. Also keep in mind that whole30 is not for everybody, and that many people end up doing it many many times before they are successful with the program as it's written. And maybe you are one of the lucky ones with no issues with inflammation or auto-immune disorders, and that's why you are not liking the program?

I wish you continued success whether you choose to continue on it, or go with another plan. Keep us posted!