sugar addiction

Options

Replies

• slimbettie
    slimbettie Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Michelle2W wrote: »
    Fourth day without sugar, and it has been rough. Finally starting to feel better!

Day 4 for me just started
    So far so good!!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    AndruPet wrote: »
    I am new to this forum and it is interesting to see how defensive people get when it comes down to their opinions. I thought that the communities were meant to help people with their weight loss, support them, etc, not attack them for expressing personal opinions. Now, not to aggravate anyone, sugar is not just like any other food. I teach biochemistry at the university level and in this course we look at the COORDINATED regulation of the mammalian metabolism. What people sometimes forget is that in addition to calories in minus calories out, there is another layer of regulation, your HORMONES, and among them INSULIN. Why is sugar (specifically glucose) different than protein or fats? Because when you eat sugar, it will eventually end up in your blood (the time it takes for this depends on the type of sugar, the more refined, the faster it will end up in your blood), and then your body will respond to this influx of sugar. Why? Because your brain needs a certain level of glucose (the brain uses glucose as main fuel, it cannot process directly fats or protein), too much is bad, too little bad again, so your body REGULATES very tightly the blood glucose levels. How? If all of a sudden the blood glucose levels spike up, your body will signal the pancreas to release insulin, which is a hormone whose ultimate action is to act on certain cells that have insulin receptors to pick up that excess of glucose from blood to return the blood glucose levels to normal. So you might think, so what is the problem? Well the problem is what happens with that excess glucose that is no longer in the blood, it will be picked up by your liver cells, muscle cells, adipose tissue (fat) cells, it will be degraded to a molecule named acetyl-CoA, which if your body does not need energy will be converted to fat (think of this acetyl-CoA as the building block of fats). And to top it off, insulin helps the enzymes that convert the excess glucose into fat via acetyl-CoA. Bottom line is that sugar is different than fat and protein because it triggers insulin release and insulin reinforces the process of storing extra acetyl-CoA as fat. Does this mean you have a free pass to eat excess fat or protein? Not really, these will be metabolized eventually into acetyl-CoA, which again, if energy is not needed, will be converted to fat. But they do not trigger insulin release. Any biochemistry book can be used as a reference for the above statements.
    Now coming around to the complex carbs versus refined ones, the more complex they are the slower they are released, so your blood glucose levels will stay more constant, not triggering insulin.
    Is sugar addictive? It can be, but so are the fats. I actually crave both sugars and fats, but I find that I am more successful at losing weight if I cut the sugar. I also do what one of the previous posters does, I try to reset my sugar cravings by cutting refined sugars for a short period of time, but then slowly I slide back into bad habits. I hope this helps.

What about the fact that protein is also insulinogenic and causes insulin release? What about the fact that fat also causes insulin release, because insulin is released just by the simple fact of eating? How about glucose regulating IGF-1 and HGH to promote muscle growth?

You're providing a very oversimplified, very biased and one sided view of the issue. As you state you're a scientist, shouldn't you make a point of being objective?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    guys guys.... every cell in the human body runs off of GLUCOSE! we are designed to need sugar hence why we all crave sweet things sometimes. its because our body is telling us something.... theres a huge vegan movement / high carb / high fruit like check out Freelee the banana girl youtube videos, and many more.... we have diseases and bad health because we follow the mainstream high animal product/ low carb/ high fat and protein diets because thats how health carers make their money.... inform yourselves, eat tons of plants and fruits and you won't crave sweets if you already having it....

Freelee is an idiot. Humans have been eating a diet of moderate carbs with plenty of animal protein and fat for millions of years. The human body can manufacture all the glucose it needs from any food you eat. Most modern diseases are due to the longevity of the average human lifespan, which has more than doubled over the last hundred years.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    This thread needs less talking and more squats... problem solved.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    guys guys.... every cell in the human body runs off of GLUCOSE! we are designed to need sugar hence why we all crave sweet things sometimes. its because our body is telling us something.... theres a huge vegan movement / high carb / high fruit like check out Freelee the banana girl youtube videos, and many more.... we have diseases and bad health because we follow the mainstream high animal product/ low carb/ high fat and protein diets because thats how health carers make their money.... inform yourselves, eat tons of plants and fruits and you won't crave sweets if you already having it....

tumblr_lr56c7tzmw1qdvraco1_500.gif
  • JoKnowsJo
    JoKnowsJo Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    kyta32 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    general observation..it is funny how the majority of the sugar addiction folks are also yo yo dieters….

Instead of restricting foods and viewing them as "evil" you could get on a long term and sustainable path to weight loss where you eat all foods moderately, enjoy them, and lose weight.

The problem is that sugar has become a "crutch" so that it can be blamed for the reason as to why X diet fails.

General observation...it is funny how the majority of sugar defenders are abusive and insulting (and recompers with a higher amount of discretionary calories). Does sugar make people mean? Too bad the OPs are asking for helpful advice, not mocking comments.

I don't see where @ndj1979‌ was abusive or insulting?

The forums aren't for the thin-skinned and weak-hearted. People will ask for peer-reviewed sources to back-up your claims. People will question you. People will debate with you. They do this because people don't want the forums full of incorrect information. They do this because they have been here for a long time. They know what causes people to fail and what causes people to succeed. People don't sugar coat here; they tell it like it is. If you think that is abusive and insulting, so be it…
    This completely...
    Actually I love it when someone tells me here i am slacking and if i am full of *&%$ thats why complete strangers are a good mix for helping you overcome things your family would most likely never approach you on.
  • cleback
    cleback Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    People have to remember that, when trying to persuade, "you catch more flies with honey than vinegar." (Flies can't say no to sugar either LOL)
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    general observation..it is funny how the majority of the sugar addiction folks are also yo yo dieters….

Instead of restricting foods and viewing them as "evil" you could get on a long term and sustainable path to weight loss where you eat all foods moderately, enjoy them, and lose weight.

The problem is that sugar has become a "crutch" so that it can be blamed for the reason as to why X diet fails.

General observation...it is funny how the majority of sugar defenders are abusive and insulting (and recompers with a higher amount of discretionary calories). Does sugar make people mean? Too bad the OPs are asking for helpful advice, not mocking comments.

please find where I was abusive or insulting….

http://guilfordjournals.com/doi/abs/10.1521/jscp.2010.29.7.727
    Increase of success in quitting smoking for participants using positive self talk

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/07/110717204913.htm
    Women were more successful losing weight when taught to accept their bodies

Positivity heals and negativity hurts.

Why do you think I was talking about you? Is it because in the above quotes you insinuate that people who indicate they have problems with sugar are yo yo dieters, or that when someone asks for help with sugar that they are blaming sugar for the failure of their diet? OP is asking for help in an area where she has struggled. This is what personal responsibility looks like.

You have turned a situation where someone is being proactive about succeeding into an opportunity to make baseless accusations, and focus on negative outcomes that come from your imagination. You have no idea if any of the posters here have yoyo dieted or have had diets that failed (or that their current diet will fail, if that was where you were going). Focusing on negatives, even negatives that you have made up, is hurtful and insulting. Everyone has had some areas of growth with weight management, otherwise there would be no point to the boards. And the point of the boards is for us to support each other.

After all, isn't recomping a form of yoyo dieting?

Also, if you are going to flag someone, don't quote them. The mods will take out the original post, but not where it has been quoted ;)
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    LCloops wrote: »

The forums aren't for the thin-skinned and weak-hearted. People will ask for peer-reviewed sources to back-up your claims. People will question you. People will debate with you. They do this because people don't want the forums full of incorrect information. They do this because they have been here for a long time. They know what causes people to fail and what causes people to succeed. People don't sugar coat here; they tell it like it is. If you think that is abusive and insulting, so be it…
    This completely...
    Actually I love it when someone tells me here i am slacking and if i am full of *&%$ thats why complete strangers are a good mix for helping you overcome things your family would most likely never approach you on.

The Oxford debate:
    "...The debate is best remembered today for a heated exchange in which Wilberforce supposedly asked Huxley whether it was through his grandfather or his grandmother that he claimed his descent from a monkey.[2]

Huxley is said to have replied that he would not be ashamed to have a monkey for his ancestor, but he would be ashamed to be connected with a man who used his great gifts to obscure the truth"
    When you resort to insults, you have lost the argument.

First of all, I was talking about "the majority of sugar defenders", not specifically about ndj1979. Questioning, asking for peer-reviewed sources, and respectful debate is fine, and something I personally enjoy. Personally attacking someone, for example by saying "You just don't have self control", is not. It is insulting and off topic, a violation of 2 forum rules. And, it's a behavior I'm seeing in a lot of "what you eat doesn't matter" posters.

The message boards are not an exclusive club for the thick skinned and strong hearted. They are for people who want concrete advice and support. If you want someone to swear at you, abuse you, and insult you, and to be free to do the same to others, I would suggest going to a forum where that isn't against the rules.
  • slimbettie
    slimbettie Posts: 686 Member
    Options

Now that is another way of thinking. It is so interesting to see how other people perceive things.
  • JoKnowsJo
    Options

This completely...

The Oxford debate:
    "...The debate is best remembered today for a heated exchange in which Wilberforce supposedly asked Huxley whether it was through his grandfather or his grandmother that he claimed his descent from a monkey.[2]

Huxley is said to have replied that he would not be ashamed to have a monkey for his ancestor, but he would be ashamed to be connected with a man who used his great gifts to obscure the truth"

First of all, I was talking about "the majority of sugar defenders", not specifically about ndj1979. Questioning, asking for peer-reviewed sources, and respectful debate is fine, and something I personally enjoy. Personally attacking someone, for example by saying "You just don't have self control", is not. It is insulting and off topic, a violation of 2 forum rules. And, it's a behavior I'm seeing in a lot of "what you eat doesn't matter" posters.

The message boards are not an exclusive club for the thick skinned and strong hearted. They are for people who want concrete advice and support. If you want someone to swear at you, abuse you, and insult you, and to be free to do the same to others, I would suggest going to a forum where that isn't against the rules.

No, I look at the roll of the forums here as a way for us to be heard, and to get information, how you use that information is completely up to the person reading said information. Sugar aside, these forums are beneficial as you are going to get all different kinds of answers, you will need to take what you can use and disregard what you can't. I agreed with some of the sugar defenders as that is exactly what I blamed in my diet. I have since learned I can't blame a single food group, and that I needed to pull up the big girl pants and take a look at contributing factors of the "why" I want these things. I find I am a bored eater, also I like the comfort that those foods offered. Also I looked to carbs when stressed, I now take a walk or find some other way to divert my attention away from food.
    The reason I now look at these debates is, yes she has a very valid reason for her issues and it's good she is reaching out, however you can't take it personally or get insulted if everyone does not agree with your point of view.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

This completely...

The Oxford debate:

except the problem is that you are wrong 100% of the time and when you get called on it you just ignore and keep plowing through …

• ndj1979
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    slimbettie wrote: »

Now that is another way of thinking. It is so interesting to see how other people perceive things.

Why would you consider it yo yo dieting when it is a designed plan with realistic goals without resorting to ridiculous fad diets?

seriously, and most re-comps take at least a year, so its not like you are going back and forth between re-comping and not...
  • JoKnowsJo
    Options

This completely...

The Oxford debate:

except the problem is that you are wrong 100% of the time and when you get called on it you just ignore and keep plowing through …
    Were we all compared to Monkeys? ok well, that right there could be insulting, but since this is a forum I am not taking it personally at all and I believe our haplorhine ("dry-nosed") primate friends, like the same food groups as we do, except for meat on that I don't know.
  • ndj1979
    Options

This completely...

The Oxford debate:

Were we all compared to Monkeys? ok well, that right there could be insulting, but since this is a forum I am not taking it personally at all and I believe our haplorhine ("dry-nosed") primate friends, like the same food groups as we do, except for meat on that I don't know.

because …monkeys?
  • JoKnowsJo
    Options

This completely...

The Oxford debate:

because …monkeys?
    because... monkeys... could be related to us? oh no, I am not getting into that debate that one as all the makings of a good carb bad carb debate...

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    People call it "sugar addiction" in stead of just calling it what it really is and that is NO SELF CONTROL!!! It's always someone/something else's fault, instead of their own.

I have lost 121 pounds eating healthy and sugary foods, I have also reverse my heart disease, my blood work has come back perfect as ever!! Tell me again how sugar is going to kill me?? LOL, eating Reese's Peanutbutter cup!! ;)
This discussion has been closed.