• kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    LCloops wrote: »
    kyta32 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    general observation..it is funny how the majority of the sugar addiction folks are also yo yo dieters….

Instead of restricting foods and viewing them as "evil" you could get on a long term and sustainable path to weight loss where you eat all foods moderately, enjoy them, and lose weight.

The problem is that sugar has become a "crutch" so that it can be blamed for the reason as to why X diet fails.

General observation...it is funny how the majority of sugar defenders are abusive and insulting (and recompers with a higher amount of discretionary calories). Does sugar make people mean? Too bad the OPs are asking for helpful advice, not mocking comments.

I don't see where @ndj1979‌ was abusive or insulting?

The forums aren't for the thin-skinned and weak-hearted. People will ask for peer-reviewed sources to back-up your claims. People will question you. People will debate with you. They do this because people don't want the forums full of incorrect information. They do this because they have been here for a long time. They know what causes people to fail and what causes people to succeed. People don't sugar coat here; they tell it like it is. If you think that is abusive and insulting, so be it…
    This completely...
    Actually I love it when someone tells me here i am slacking and if i am full of *&%$ thats why complete strangers are a good mix for helping you overcome things your family would most likely never approach you on.

The Oxford debate:
    "...The debate is best remembered today for a heated exchange in which Wilberforce supposedly asked Huxley whether it was through his grandfather or his grandmother that he claimed his descent from a monkey.[2]

Huxley is said to have replied that he would not be ashamed to have a monkey for his ancestor, but he would be ashamed to be connected with a man who used his great gifts to obscure the truth"
    When you resort to insults, you have lost the argument.

First of all, I was talking about "the majority of sugar defenders", not specifically about ndj1979. Questioning, asking for peer-reviewed sources, and respectful debate is fine, and something I personally enjoy. Personally attacking someone, for example by saying "You just don't have self control", is not. It is insulting and off topic, a violation of 2 forum rules. And, it's a behavior I'm seeing in a lot of "what you eat doesn't matter" posters.

The message boards are not an exclusive club for the thick skinned and strong hearted. They are for people who want concrete advice and support. If you want someone to swear at you, abuse you, and insult you, and to be free to do the same to others, I would suggest going to a forum where that isn't against the rules.

No, I look at the roll of the forums here as a way for us to be heard, and to get information, how you use that information is completely up to the person reading said information. Sugar aside, these forums are beneficial as you are going to get all different kinds of answers, you will need to take what you can use and disregard what you can't. I agreed with some of the sugar defenders as that is exactly what I blamed in my diet. I have since learned I can't blame a single food group, and that I needed to pull up the big girl pants and take a look at contributing factors of the "why" I want these things. I find I am a bored eater, also I like the comfort that those foods offered. Also I looked to carbs when stressed, I now take a walk or find some other way to divert my attention away from food.
    The reason I now look at these debates is, yes she has a very valid reason for her issues and it's good she is reaching out, however you can't take it personally or get insulted if everyone does not agree with your point of view.

Please disagree with my point of view, and provide evidence. Please do not insult others. Insulting people shuts down rational dialogue.
  • kyta32
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    general observation..it is funny how the majority of the sugar addiction folks are also yo yo dieters….

Instead of restricting foods and viewing them as "evil" you could get on a long term and sustainable path to weight loss where you eat all foods moderately, enjoy them, and lose weight.

The problem is that sugar has become a "crutch" so that it can be blamed for the reason as to why X diet fails.

General observation...it is funny how the majority of sugar defenders are abusive and insulting (and recompers with a higher amount of discretionary calories). Does sugar make people mean? Too bad the OPs are asking for helpful advice, not mocking comments.

I don't see where @ndj1979‌ was abusive or insulting?

The forums aren't for the thin-skinned and weak-hearted. People will ask for peer-reviewed sources to back-up your claims. People will question you. People will debate with you. They do this because people don't want the forums full of incorrect information. They do this because they have been here for a long time. They know what causes people to fail and what causes people to succeed. People don't sugar coat here; they tell it like it is. If you think that is abusive and insulting, so be it…
    This completely...
    Actually I love it when someone tells me here i am slacking and if i am full of *&%$ thats why complete strangers are a good mix for helping you overcome things your family would most likely never approach you on.

The Oxford debate:
    "...The debate is best remembered today for a heated exchange in which Wilberforce supposedly asked Huxley whether it was through his grandfather or his grandmother that he claimed his descent from a monkey.[2]

Huxley is said to have replied that he would not be ashamed to have a monkey for his ancestor, but he would be ashamed to be connected with a man who used his great gifts to obscure the truth"
    When you resort to insults, you have lost the argument.

First of all, I was talking about "the majority of sugar defenders", not specifically about ndj1979. Questioning, asking for peer-reviewed sources, and respectful debate is fine, and something I personally enjoy. Personally attacking someone, for example by saying "You just don't have self control", is not. It is insulting and off topic, a violation of 2 forum rules. And, it's a behavior I'm seeing in a lot of "what you eat doesn't matter" posters.

The message boards are not an exclusive club for the thick skinned and strong hearted. They are for people who want concrete advice and support. If you want someone to swear at you, abuse you, and insult you, and to be free to do the same to others, I would suggest going to a forum where that isn't against the rules.

Telling someone they have no self control isn't a personal attack, it's telling someone the truth. That's the disconnect with a lot of people here. They want to hear what they want to hear, how they want to hear it or else it's abuse or a personal attack. Sometimes people need to hear the truth to snap them out of their state of delusion.

Saying someone has no self control is an insult, and not appropriate on the forums. I, for one, think the OP has shown considerable self control by not responding to insults with insults in kind.

It seems to me that those who respond to evidence-based arguments with insults are the ones with self-control issues.
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    EmoJew wrote: »
    ...isn't a real thing...

Don't be silly.

• kyta32
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    People call it "sugar addiction" in stead of just calling it what it really is and that is NO SELF CONTROL!!! It's always someone/something else's fault, instead of their own.

I have lost 121 pounds eating healthy and sugary foods, I have also reverse my heart disease, my blood work has come back perfect as ever!! Tell me again how sugar is going to kill me?? LOL, eating Reese's Peanutbutter cup!! ;)

I've lost over 105 pounds, in part, by reducing added sugars, and avoiding things like peanut butter cups. There is no one right way to weight loss. Insulting people does not give them concrete information that will help them.

You may want to try using "I" statements like "I found this worked for me..." The use of compassionate communication helps move us all in the same direction, instead of errecting defensive walls :)
  • kyta32
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    slimbettie wrote: »

please find where I was abusive or insulting….

After all, isn't recomping a form of yoyo dieting?

Now that is another way of thinking. It is so interesting to see how other people perceive things.

Why would you consider it yo yo dieting when it is a designed plan with realistic goals without resorting to ridiculous fad diets?

seriously, and most re-comps take at least a year, so its not like you are going back and forth between re-comping and not...

You restrict dietary intake and lose fat%. Then calorie restrictions are relaxed and fat is regained. Recompers probably yoyo more than any other diet group combined.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread.

The forum guidelines include this item:

2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic within a forum topic. Off-topic or derogatory remarks are disrespectful. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,

kgeyser
This discussion has been closed.