WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2015

Options

Replies

• GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,651 Member
    Options
    Viv – sending good thoughts to you and your family!

Cynthia – How exciting all your hard work is finally coming together the “guy” is moving in!

Heather – sorry I worried you; but a combination of down in the dumps and a work load that would not stop.
    I kinda agree on the over consumption at the holiday; but do really love figuring out the right gift for someone, making or buying it and seeing them open it. I don’t think I could give up giving…. In fact I saw and bought a perfect stocking stuffer for next year today.

Sylvia - I think it is cool you know the history of a funny name!

Carol in NC – So glad you are settling in!

Terri in Milwaukee – brrrrrrrr

Beth – I went to Mimi (Persists) family’s Christmas celebration on 12/20 we live not too far apart and it was so nice of her to include me. Big family, lots of fun – we promised each other to be back this week…. Hmmmmm

Joyce – I am so sorry to hear about your nephew’s situation….

I was given a pie pumpkin and cooked it up the other day, made risotto from some and then pureed the rest, I have a recipe for pumpkin pudding - it is a baked "pudding" or maybe custard is a better description.. It took 4 cups of pumpkin so that was just what I needed - the pumpkin was really big (for a pie pumpkin) so there are 4 cups (in 1 cup baggies) in the freezer and this pudding... I'll share it with some friends.

Ok so take this with the understanding that I live in California --- it's been cold! I have walked Levi in the 30-35 degree weather every day, and have had a crazy time figuring out what to wear - I am fine in the jacket department, but my legs have been so cold! finally figured out that I wear my flannel PJ bottoms under my jeans - perfect! We are having no-burn days -- days that you can not have a fire or BBQ (any thing with solid fuel) it is to help keep the air clear; but I heat my home with a fire place insert and can't use it because of the no burn days...so I have a space heater - which is new I got it for christmas - and it is so nice to be a bit warm... keeping the house between 60 and 63... (all degrees fahrenheit) am looking forward to some rain again, when I can have a fire- I love it to be about 68 or a bit warmer, especially if I am doing a just sitting thing (reading, writing to you!)

Smiles Kim in CA

January goals:
    Walk every day
    Log all bites everyday
    Do a fun thing every week.

58855297.png
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    On the topic of charitable gifts,chickens in Africa, etc I think this is a great idea for like minded people, but you are right that they aren't well received by many. There is a woman in a church organization to which I belong who did not want a bunch of presents for her 80th birthday party. Instead she asked for chickens, goats, etc from Heifer International in her name. The women in our organization threw a "get her goat" party for her.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    One year our Vacation Bible School decided to give all their offering to Antigua (sp?) Our pastor had just gotten back from a mission trip there. What they show o TV where all the wonderful resorts are is not a fair representation of what the country is like. Anyway, just a very small amount of money can build a house, another can buy a milk cow. So these kids bought a house and a cow. They didn't know that the cow was pregnant and it was female. So it was a double blessing for them. It really excited the kids to see their money building every day to buy that cow and for an organization to build a house. Granted it was a single room house but it had a proper roof over their head and made sturdy enough to keep out the rains. We have so much and take it for granted.

Joyce, Indiana
  • heathermach
    heathermach Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Good morning all

I am sat in my classroom as today is first day back. I have a full teaching day today but should be good fun, we are doing Jack the Ripper and also Britain at War. The kids will be excitable and want to talk about their Christmas gifts and will take a bit of time to settle.

At home my hubby is now suffering from depression and I am finding this hard to cope with as I am not sure what to do so any advice gratefully received. He has been through a lot last year, having found a cist in his stomach the size of a grapefruit, he then had to have a minor op to have it removed but got blood poisoning so was in hospital on a drip and morphine for more than a week. Although it has gone now he seems to have taken the whole really bad. I am a 'get on with it' person so struggling to understand.

He has also decided to grow a beard, which is awful, so am working on getting that idea out of his head.

On a brighter note my kids are great with him, my daughter works with dementia patients so has a lot more patience than me and my son is very sweet giving him lots of hugs.

I lost a pound over Christmas which I was pleased with, and am sticking to the diet as best I can, I am walking for 45 mins on the treadmill each night and swimming. I have a back problem so wondered if anyone had any tips about how to tighten my tummy without having to strain my back.

I realize I have less problems than others but do really appreciate your support and love reading all the posts.

have a great day.

Heather (Northampton UK)
    xx

• wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    Hi and Bye just wanted to mark my spot for tonight if I get chance to check back in with you all.

Think I might book a days holiday from work tomorrow. A few things I need to do and it would save me having to go to work leave half way through the morning and then go back etc.

Have a good day - must dash

Viv (York UK)
  • trfree1
    trfree1 Posts: 12
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Great to read all the motiving and supportive posts from everyone. I have been on my new lifestyle path for 15 months now. Down 104 lbs as of today from my heaviest. I am so close to dipping below 200 (at 203 this morning) I can taste it! I have not weighed less than 200 since college.

What I have noticed thus far this year is that I really have created new habits. When I first embarked on this journey in sept 2013, it was so hard. Now, what I do is a way of life, its not a chore and I don't feel like its a diet. I am so relieved to have realized this. It makes me actually believe my goal or reaching 175 is attainable!

I love reading all your posts about getting healthy after 50. Thanks everyone for sharing and letting me be a part of the group! My word for 2015 is PERSEVERANCE!

Trish from Kentucky
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I am driving south of Atlanta to visit my mom in the nursing home today. It's about an 80 mile drive. I am trying to go at least every other week (was going every week for over 6 months) but find the traffic on I-75 to be too nerve wrecking. My DH refuses to go with me so I do this alone. He doesn't understand because my mom and I have always had issues. But, I told him if it had been his mom he would go (to which he nodded his head). I have 4 other siblings who live in the same area as she so I tell her she probably has more visitors than anyone there. All she can talk about is going home. With her dementia, she really doesn't understand where/why she is there.
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Upper 20's when I fed my birds; snow just north of us. DD came home with a terrific cold last night; fed her on paper plates and plastic utensils, gave her Nyquil, sent to her room and told to stay there, sprayed her bathroom with with Lysol like a maniac. She insisted on going in for an 8hr. lifeguarding shift then supposedly on to barn work; won't be surprised if she comes home early. Still have some junk in my own chest from the Christmas crud; don't want another.
    On a much brighter note; major news:: she was called yesterday for a vet school interview.....so, here we go again on that rollercoaster. Maybe the second interview is the charm!

Sylvia........I completely agree with Joyce that the "foggy" thinking warrents checking out; could be lots of things but does need checked.

Kim..........Love, love, love seeing you back here!!! OK--Mimi......where are you?????

drkatie......I think your "get her goat" party was fantastic! How neat!! Believe me, if I ever venture into doing something like that for a gift again, it won't be a surprise for the recipient!!

heathermach........Is your DH being treated for his depression? Sounds like he's been through a lot and the uncertainty of what could have happened is now hitting him maybe. It's great that your kids are so good with him. All I can come up with is time and treatment if it's bad enough. On the beard.......I like them; my DH had one when we married.

Trish.......Major congrats on your success; you are right, that 200 is around the corner. Soon you'll be looking at it in the rearview mirror!

Hunger is not an emergency.
    Determined.
    yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic

• britlw1
    britlw1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    hi I'm so glad I found this group. I have been dealing with fibromyalgia for some time now. Through trial and error I am finding that diet is a huge part of this problem. I have been experimenting with gluten free, low carb, and low sugar. I am definitely seeing some results and I wanted to share. I have also lost 40 pounds over the past year so I'm looking for support to maintain and get healthy. Anyone have the same experience?
  • nutty192
    nutty192 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hello Heather, I too have a back problem, and had to spend 3 months in bed. As you can imagine, when I could get up I was very weak, and my first exercises were Pilates. I am now heaps better, walking a little every day, swimming, and pilates once a week. I also hope that losing weight will help prevent a recurrence. Good luck to you, and everyone else. Nutty, from Bath
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,083 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Good Morning,

Sue great word TODAY! My sister always said tomorrow she would start taking care of herself. She doesn't have a tomorrow anymore. It is almost nine years now since she past. I live by the mindset what do I need to do today so I will have a better tomorrow.

Heather Norhhampton sounds like the depression is part of illnesses your DH has and is going through. It is hard for me to be patient when I or others do not feel well. When illness affects the mind becoming well is a challenge. When I feel those thoughts knocking on my door. I keep telling myself if it is good for my mind do it. Examples a diet rich in good fats ( avocados, nuts, fish oil, coconut oil for cooking, olive oil for salads) and carbs that are slow releasing like veggies and oatmeal. Your mind is mostly made up of fat but it craves glucose to make it run. Another example is exercise. Trying to get a good nights sleep is another. Laughing. Stopping thoughts that only make the situation worse is another technique I use. If you have read any Dr. Amen books he calls it stopping the ANTS. The last one is the hardest for me. All of these are common sense. Implementing them is the hard part. I also believe when someone else is sick does not mean I have to be sick with them. Quite the opposite the healthier I am the better I am able to help them.

Goal log my food today.

2015 word: Strength
    2015 quote: Just because I see the hook does not mean I have to bite.

rose.gif MNMargaret
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning! It's a brisk 20 degrees here this morning. Tomorrow morning it's supposed to be 4, so we'd better be happy with what we have, I guess. (I know you Canadian ladies are laughing right now.) I just picked the kids up and took them to school. They were so happy to be going back. It's been a long break! They were all happily wearing their new boots and sweaters, so I was one happy grandma!

Got to the studio and popped a mug in the microwave to make tea. When the timer sounded I went to get it, and looked in the refrigerator instead of the microwave. Stood there for a couple of seconds wondering where it was. Oops! Yet another senior moment.

More warm welcomes to more new ladies!!!!! More fresh faces! Tell us about yourselves! You will be surprised how much we all have in common.

This morning we had a doggie sing-along in our living room. It's was hilarious. Molly and Bruno never EVER howled before Spot came to live with us, so he has taught them a new skill. They were all throwing their heads back and just howling like wolves. I wish I'd had my camera to get it on video.

Taking the girls to the basketball game last night turned out really well. They had such a great time. DGD#2 (second grade) was really interested in the game, and it was cute when she saw one woman pass the ball like a bullet to another woman who was halfway down the court and said "I could do that". (She can't.) She said she would like to play basketball when she goes to college, but she still wants to be a vet so she didn't think she could do both. I explained about basketball scholarships and she was much relieved about that. DGD#1 (fifth grade) didn't care so much about the game, but she was interested in the cheerleaders and the dance team and their outfits. She wants to be a fashion designer, or a nuclear chemist. One or the other. There is another home game on the 14th, and they already want to go to that one too. I thought it was important for them to see powerful women at work.

Well, gotta get to work. Have a great day everyone!

Sylvia

• dianalee2015
    Options
    Thanks Barbie for the inspiration. I'm new as of yesterday and will appreciate any support and inspiration I can find! From 1997 - 1999, I lost 70 pounds and kept it off until two years ago. I had to have a knee replaced twice and have put on about 35 pounds. I am very concerned my weight will creep all the way back up if I don't do something now - as in today.

With a new knee in place, I need to get this weight off so I can feel and look better. Please help - that's why I am here!

Best of luck to everyone for an active and fun year!

Diana
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    My mom turns 80 today,we`re having her party,on sun.
    My friend`s family were called to the hospital this am.waiting to hear.Does`t sound good.Prayers welcome.
    hugs jane
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

Heathermach - If you will try holding your shoulders back and down when you walk, it will automatically engage your abs, therefore supporting your lower back. It is recommended that you also tuck your hips forward, but I'm too uncoordinated to manage that. :smile: As for your husband, I would strongly recommend seeing a therapist/counselor/psychologist. Men, in particular, have a tendency to get depressed after a health issue/surgery.

Thanks for your support about my son! He fluctuates about doing well with change. This has been a time of big changes for him because of school and the move and I understand that (the reason he's still alive and kicking), but he is also old enough to understand that the move was going to happen (I've been talking to him about it for two years) and be mature enough to help out. Because of his refusal to help, I am still frantically trying to get things out of the old house.

I've read most everything and sent up prayers and good wishes for those who need them and rejoiced with those have successes. Off to work now...

Carol in NC
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Good Morning y'all! It's chilly in SC but our freezing temps don't get here until tomorrow. Thursday won't be above freezing all day. burrrr for us.
    I absolutely love all the posts. I hope you all keep it up.

*Heather in UK, I like your idea about the Christmas gifts. At Christmas time all the charities are begging for donations and I hate buying a gift for someone that needs nothing and already buys anything they want. That being said, I do love to get a gift that I know the recipient will enjoy. Those I buy throughout the year. I'll always give a little something to only daughter and DH always says he doesn't want or need anything every year. So I'm with you. Thanks.

I also have back troubles and it's hard to work on the tummy. Even trying to do easy Zumba with tummy work, hurts my back. The best I have found so far is isometrics like tightening the tummy muscles as I do upper body exercises. Will be happy to hear other suggestions.

I have a few friends that suffer from depression. My heart goes out to you, because it's not easy to be around. Is he on any kind of antidepressants? They really help.

*Barbie in Wash, I like your word, "Now". No matter what we have done, now is the time to start doing it right. I always laugh to myself when I see or hear people say they are going to start doing it on Monday or tomorrow or the first of the month. What about NOW??

*I hope Mildred gets better soon. Keep us posted. There is nothing worse than a sick fur baby because they can't talk to us.

*Joyce, Indiana, so sad about the little one. My prayers are with her.

*Kim, So glad you have been found. Welcome back. You can do this.

*Viv, how scary about your GS. Prayers and good thoughts are going his way.

*Sylvia, glad you are on the mend. I think the gorilla story is interesting. Thanks for sharing.

*Trish from Kentucky, Congrats on your loss and I know how exciting it will be to get under 200. I'm a pound away and so looking forward to it. Thanks for sharing about your lifestyle now being a way of life. That will be another milestone for many of us. Keep up the great work.

*DH has his colonoscopy today. Gosh he can be a big baby doing something like the prep. LOL And he will probably lose 10 pounds from this while I work hard for every one. Now I get to go sit in the hospital for 4 hours with all those germs. Might take my laptop so I can see what's going on here. :) You have all become such an important part of my life and journey. Thank you all for the wonderful support.

Welcome to all the new people. We love having you with us.

Have a great and healthy day to all of you. Got to get to my exercise or it won't get done.

Janet in Myrtle Beach, SC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,672 Member
    Options
    bump-it-e-bump
  • rupert2011
    rupert2011 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Lesley - so glad to hear Mildred is doing a little better, hugs to you and a tender pet to your fur baby.
    - Jenny
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    jane........((((((hugs)))))))) We'll be here for you.........
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies,

I have been away from this group for awhile, but I haven't forgotten you! The holidays were busy, but I love them. Hubby and puppy Brian are wonderful. Old pug girl is hanging I there, sleeps most of the time but that is good. She is always getting stuck between the furniture or in a corner, poor girl. I gave my big brother the drawing of our grandmother and he loved it. It is still on my profile page if you want to see it.

I am successfully maintaining my weight loss. I joined MFP almost one year ago and am so glad. Wishing all of you wonderful ladies a Happy New Year.

Hugs,

Cindy in OK