Yummy alternatives to chips?

Options

Replies

• roxielu0422
    roxielu0422 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I make my own tortilla chips. Cut up corn tortillas into 1/8 pieces. Put them on a baking sheet and spray with Pam and sprinkle with a little salt and bake them for about 6 minutes at 350. YUM!!!!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,625 Member
    Options
    I do something along the lines of this

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Make-Delicious-Healthy-Homemade-Potato-Chi/

I am amazed by how well it works. Slice the potatoes in the food processor or with a mandolin. Line a plate with baking paper. Place a single layer of sliced potato on the paper and salt lightly. Microwave on high for 5 minutes. Loosen the potatoes and microwave further on 2 minute increments until some of them brown slightly. They will taste burnt if overcooked. Remove from baking parchment and leave to cool. They will continue to become more crisp as they cool. They are really as crunchy and satisfying as chips without any oil at all.
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I bake my own fries with either yam, sweet potato or potato. Super easy.
    Oven set to 425C, chop up your potato into preferred size, toss in a bowl with a little olive oil/herbs/garlic/pepper/pinch of salt. Bake on pan for about 25 minutes. Check the pan every 5-8 minutes to toss around the fries so they don't stick to the pan (or use parchment paper).
    You can also make chips out of kale or beets. Google will assist you with that.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Rice cakes, popcorn stick veggies, seeds, grapes, Apple slices, berries. Getting used to having a sandwich without a side helps, too. :)

Special K cracker chips are a less unhealthy version of the potato chip.
  • Slythiechick
    Slythiechick Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Bare Fruit Apple Chips are yummmmmmmy, and baked, not fried.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    You can make homemade apple chips; about to make some myself!

I also like to make my own fries, wedges, and roasted potatoes at home. You can use just a tablespoon of olive oil, and it gets the job done pretty well, especially with the right combination of seasonings.

Another favorite of mine is half a sweet potato with a light brushing of olive oil, and Montreal steak seasoning. I've been meaning to try the combo sliced into fry shape, rather than chopped in cubes!
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    Not really, in my opinion. Other things are good, but not the same. I'm one of those who can't stop after just one, so I try to have them very, very rarely.

But you might not crave them as often if you hit good macronutrients with home-cooked food. That happened to me.
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Options
    I've heard of the oil less fryer...same thing? I've wanted to get one of those

I think it's the same thing. This is the one I have. I cook lots of things in it...chicken fillets, veges, sausages, pastries.
  • Cacheola
    Cacheola Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    There's a blue corn chip that's actually not too bad. I have a handful with fresh homemade guacamole, mmm
  • liftingandlipstick
    liftingandlipstick Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I make rutabage fries that are pretty nummy. Cut half a rutabaga into fry shapes, spray with Pam, sprinkle with sea salt, cumin, curry, whatever spices catch my fancy. It's a touch sweeter than a regular potato, but with a similar bland-ish taste. Also 70 cals for 1/2 a rutabaga vs. 150-200 cals for a similar amount of potato.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    i'm allergic to corn so i can't have corn chips anymore. i love banana chips as a good sub.
  • Abby2205
    Abby2205 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Roasted seaweed.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I'll protest one suggestion. Special K. Theirs are usually a giant rip-off, lacking in nutrition and fiber. Let's see how they rack up:

118088.jpg

These are Dan-Dee Kettle cooked potato chips:
    labelL444841.gif

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Both are negligible in fiber. The chips are higher in fat and calories. The kettle cooked chips are higher in vitamin C. I'd call both a bust.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    These aren't chips, but so yummy.
    I get broccoli florets, put a bit of oil and garlic in a freezer bag. Add broccoli and shake shake shake. Spread out on oven tray and bake on medium heat until they're crunchy. I can eat a whole broccoli to myself in one sitting!
  • nogutsnoglory7
    nogutsnoglory7 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    the snap pea crisps are AHmazing... In fact, I eat them with burgers and dip them in ketchup. They are actually BETTER than chips. Calbee makes them.
  • pandagirl813
    pandagirl813 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I love Bigs sunflower seeds, especially the Ranch and Dill Pickle. 1 serving has 170 calories and only 7% DV sodium, while Davids has 190 cal. and 54% DV sodium.
  • allie_00p
    allie_00p Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Quest makes protein chips
    www.questnutrition.com/quest-chips/
  • Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    Like the OP, I <3 both potato chips and French fries. I have found that nothing can substitute either. :D Therefore, I enjoy them both in moderation. I will say, however, I'm currently unable to have just one serving of Better Made Barbeque chips (my absolute favorite), which is why I don't bother eating them anymore. :(
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    I know this will probably be met with controversy, but I actually feel like pork rinds are healthier (and much tastier). I have a bag of Rudolph's hot & spicy pork rinds in my cabinet and for a 1/2 ounce serving (which is a lot when you measure it out since they're puffed), they're only 80 calories. Although they're higher in sodium (370mg-yikes), they're also a rich source of protein (8g), can balance your ratios with their 4.5g of fat, and are low in carbs (0g!).