What helps you wake up early to get that workout in?

Options
CassieR6
CassieR6 Posts: 280 Member
edited January 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I know I have asked this before, but I am in a bit of a big slump currently. I am aiming to be outta bed by 5am and in the living room and my work out video no later than 5:15am. For those of you who workout early in the morning as well what helped you get in this habit? I know I should just suck it up and get up and go but I am not a big morning person so for me to get in the habit it takes me a bit. So what did you do or what helped you get in the habit? I know once I get a routine going it will be something I just do. I just need to get there! Thanks in advance! :D

Replies

• waygookRAWR
    waygookRAWR Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Put your alarm clock across the room. Makes you get up and get it. Then, you're already up. Might as well get going.
  • 3weakley
    3weakley Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Pre-workouts help allot, my wife takes half of a serving and loves it
  • jouttie
    jouttie Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Why would you want to be "video running" - whatever that might be - at five fifteen a.m.? Or anything for that matter? The thought of being anywhere but snuggled up in my bed snoring my head off at that time of the day makes me shudder :D
  • RobfromRI
    RobfromRI Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    For me, I just roll out of bed and try not to think about what I have to do, I also keep my workout clothes right next to the bed. I will be up at 5:00 tomorrow!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    As far as getting into the habit, it helps to be a morning person but it also comes back to just doing it. I know that I'll feel better all day if I've already got in my workout. I feel refreshed and peppier and I don't have the worry of running out of time in the evening for it.
  • Evotchka
    Evotchka Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I am currently trying the same thing (with moderate success so far ha). What has helped me before is to put in my workout DVD and lay out my workout clothes the night before. So when I wake up (and walk across the room to turn off my alarm, like the first post suggested), I see my clothes laying there and I have to think less and can just start.
    My snuggly warm bed, lazy fiance, and cold winter have made it hard so far, though :neutral_face:
  • Evotchka
    Evotchka Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Oh and also, if you're already up but still contemplating about starting the workout, drink a glass of cold water, that'll wake you right up and energize you. Good luck!
  • RunTimer
    RunTimer Posts: 9,137 Member
    Options
    Put your alarm clock across the room. Makes you get up and get it. Then, you're already up. Might as well get going.

Love that idea (though I don't think my wife would)

I plan my workout and meals in advance. Knowing that I can look forward to an indulgent (protein rich) hamburger (followed by an even more indulgent snicker-doodle) is a key motivator!!

tumblr_nei179asCk1sn5m44o3_500.jpg

• JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Shear will power was the only thing. There was an attractive woman that used to work out in the morning sometimes. That used to be motivation.

At 5:30 am, you use whatever works right? :wink:
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I'm up everyday anyway at 4:20am for work, so I have no problem waking up a half hour earlier sometimes to workout if I know I won't have enough time later to fit it in.
  • redsoxmj
    Options
    I normally go to the gym at 5:30 in the morning, and it is near work so I have to wake up at 4:45 to get ready and get there on time.
    Some of the things I've learned that makes it easier are to lay out all my workout clothes in the bathroom the night before. I also make sure my lunch is packed and my work bag/gym bag/purse/keys are all right by the door. This way, everything is ready for the easiest transition from waking up, peeing, dressing and leaving.
    My sister, sleeps in her workout clothes and goes straight to the gym. I've done that before, but it feels weird to me. Tight yoga pants/leggings aren't my ideal sleeping clothes, but she's the most fit person I know, so maybe she's got the right idea.
    Last thing...GO TO BED EARLY!!! If I go to bed later than 10pm the night before, I almost always can convince myself to stay in bed, even with all the other steps in place! I try to make sure that I get at the very very least 6 hours of sleep, or else if I do go to the gym in the morning, the entire day after I'm completely useless.
  • KimMc60
    KimMc60 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    The idea of not having to workout later, after a long day at school/work! :)
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    You have to get in the mindset that it's not an option. I just tell myself that I HAVE to get up. I'm usually dressed and out the door before I'm fully awake. :smile:
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    You couldn't pay me enough to do that. Seriously, if you offered me a million dollars and my job was get up at 5 AM and go the gym every day ... no.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I wear my workout clothes to bed, but they are always ready before I go to sleep. Initially I had an AMAZING friend from here that texted me on the days I wanted to get up early to ensure I was up. Knowing she was committed to me made it easier to get up because I didn't want to disappoint her! Now I am up around 4:45 4 days a week!
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    zarckon wrote: »
    You couldn't pay me enough to do that. Seriously, if you offered me a million dollars and my job was get up at 5 AM and go the gym every day ... no.

Um that would push me over the edge.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I set 4 alarms- three on my phone and the silent alarm on my fitbit. Sometimes I have to text my friend who also goes at 5am to call me in the morning to make sure my butt is out of bed.
  • saxony55
    saxony55 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am in the same situation as you. I just recently started this. I have to wake up at 4am though to finish working out by 5 then leave the house by 6. For me, the ONLY thing that helps is 1) once I'm up, I'm up even if on the weekends I have told myself that I will go back to sleep I never do LOL and 2) it is great to know that after that 1 hour workout I am DONE for the entire day. My days are very long I have a 2 hour commute each way to work on the train so I don't get home until around 7-8pm every night. I wish I could work out at night instead but when I get home I KNOW that I will just veg in front of the TV until I go to bed. It definitely helps to know yourself LOL I do have to say waking up at 4 is hard work, but again, once I am actually up I'm happy with myself and that WORKOUT is OVER!
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    i dont. Ive been working out consistently for 15 yrs and never became a morning worker outter. I prefer afternoon or evening.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    and i will add that getting 8 hours of straight sleep is crucial for optimal health and wellness. not getting enough sleep leads to weight gain, also. so dont sacrifice precious sleep to exercise. get it in during your regular day