Paleo??

Options

Replies

• duckykissy
    duckykissy Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I've got 101lbs to lose and I'm currently trying a paleo-like diet. My body hates dairy and bread & potatoes & baking chocolatey treats are my Achilles heal so it seems like a good fit to help me get away from them. Although I'm so not giving up rolled oats, rice, and green beans and plan more on limiting potatoes and other legumes to maybe one day a week. . However, losing weight isn't my only goal and Paleo wasn't my first pick- I'm following it more to support my husband - he's got a neurodegenerative disease and apparently it may help with his chronic fatigue. With careful management, I believe I could seriously lose weight following any diet that is low in processed foods and without dairy, but he may need something a bit more to feel better. In the end you've got to do what feels right by your body.

Also, like Bariachic said, it does take a lot of prep. I'm on week three after the big change and I have spent the past week making stocks, sauces, and soups from scratch (I've got a huge chest freezer). The amount of babying I've done on a kilo of kale to keep it fresh for a week is astonishing. I've also cut up hundreds of fruits to freeze while it's still summer (I'm in Australia). However, now I've got 20 minutes of prep in the morning to make my breakfast and snacks for the day. I thaw/reheat my lunch and spend about an hour on dinner if I'm not working, or just take something out of the freezer if I am. I'm not trying to scare you or anyone away from it, but it is hard, takes a lot of time to get started, and you've got to really commit to it.
  • CloudyMao
    CloudyMao Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    dpaden25 wrote: »
    CloudyMao wrote: »
    What to eat on Paleo (taken from ultimate Paleo Guide)

* Grass-fed meats
    * Fish/seafood
    * Fresh fruits
    * Fresh vegetables
    * Eggs
    * Nuts
    * Seeds
    * Healthy oils (olive, walnut, flaxseed, macadamia, avocado, coconut)

See that all sounds wonderful, but no dairy, no potatoes, no grains or refined sugars of any sort. :(

I'm totally with you on the potatoes. I'm not sure how that or dairy would work.. can one really 'train' cravings? I've had friends with some success

I think that Paleo dieting is a good thing to look into & to pull ideas from to tailor to your own needs. Cravings tend to just be a matter of willpower over want - then after a while turning that into habit; I most definitely can not disagree with the idea of incorporating more whole & natural foods over refined "packaged" typed consumables.

The fact is carbs are the body's preferred source of energy & that is what is easiest for most people to follow, switching between carbs & fats or completely to fats for energy can be very stressful & isn't really sustainable for a lot of people, but it is for some so it's worth doing a ton of research & getting in the paleo forums (i'm sure there's a subreddit or two) to talk with more experienced paleo(ers?)

I have tried keto with great success myself & after some solid will power for the first couple of weeks found that it was very sustainable, but christ I love potato & cheesecake & cookies. *kitten*.

I'm sure that you can make Paleo flexible for you to incorporate dairy & more starchy vegetables too like it's been said "paleo" isn't really a thing, it's just a new shiny label slapped onto a very old concept "eat well"
  • CloudyMao
    CloudyMao Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    duckykissy wrote: »
    I've got 101lbs to lose and I'm currently trying a paleo-like diet. My body hates dairy and bread & potatoes & baking chocolatey treats are my Achilles heal so it seems like a good fit to help me get away from them. Although I'm so not giving up rolled oats, rice, and green beans and plan more on limiting potatoes and other legumes to maybe one day a week. . However, losing weight isn't my only goal and Paleo wasn't my first pick- I'm following it more to support my husband - he's got a neurodegenerative disease and apparently it may help with his chronic fatigue. With careful management, I believe I could seriously lose weight following any diet that is low in processed foods and without dairy, but he may need something a bit more to feel better. In the end you've got to do what feels right by your body.

Also, like Bariachic said, it does take a lot of prep. I'm on week three after the big change and I have spent the past week making stocks, sauces, and soups from scratch (I've got a huge chest freezer). The amount of babying I've done on a kilo of kale to keep it fresh for a week is astonishing. I've also cut up hundreds of fruits to freeze while it's still summer (I'm in Australia). However, now I've got 20 minutes of prep in the morning to make my breakfast and snacks for the day. I thaw/reheat my lunch and spend about an hour on dinner if I'm not working, or just take something out of the freezer if I am. I'm not trying to scare you or anyone away from it, but it is hard, takes a lot of time to get started, and you've got to really commit to it.

Fantastic commitment & the best kind of support your husband could get! Well done, you're both going to do awesome by the sounds of it.
  • mianly
    mianly Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've been paleo for almost 2 years now and I'm still loving it. It's definitely not a diet but a way of living.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    CloudyMao wrote: »

I love me a good lecture, pls let it contain peer based studies.

Studies referenced at the end.
    http://www.nsca.com/uploadedFiles/NSCA/Inactive_Content/Program_Books/PTC_2013_Program_Book/Aragon.pdf
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    There is a Primal/Paleo Support Group on this site for those who are interested.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/37-primal-paleo-support-group

Personally, I found that once I stopped focusing on the food I couldn't eat and started concentrating on the food I could eat, then a whole new world opened up for me.

I personally follow a 80/20 rule so it gives me flexibility but I am determined to get grains and added sugar out of my diet. I feel amazing until I eat wheat.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    I always wonder, what is wrong with eating everything fresh and healthy, cooking from scratch. And in portion control and moderation?
    I have to watch sugar and salt but that is for health reasons.
    But still i eat them.

And when i want pizza i will. Only i wont eat 2,3 or 4 slices. Just 1! in my calorie allowance.

Restricting yourself is in my humble opinion wrong. The body can handle everything as long as you dont go overboard.

I went from to high blood pressure and sugar to normal again. Just by eating in deficit
    I cook from scratch ( 99%) and try to get everything fresh. This way i lost 56 pound the last months. Works terrific Even with some champagne on a party and with New Years.

I see this also as a life style not as a diet. When i go to maintenance i just eat more (fresh & healthy) food. It doesn't mean when my "diet" is over i can eat salt and sugar again.
    Moderation is the keyword. And learning to eat that way and being aware of what you eat will help in the long term.

All the diets out there are for some reason in my eyes to get money out of your pocket>>>> flowing into theirs.

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    SuggaD wrote: »
    no sweet potatoes? blasphemy. The sweet potato is almost up there with bacon.

Sweet potatoes can't be paleo, either, since they're a New World discovery.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    Have a look at www.marksdailyapple.com..its a a version of paleo but is less restrictive and probably with a bit more flexibility.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    DjinnMarie wrote: »
    SideSteel wrote: »
    I think it's got some good ideas that aren't unique to paleo, such as eating minimally refined foods. I think the food restrictions it has are silly, and consequently I don't like it.

This.

If it comes in a box or bag don't eat it. (Except for whole grain pastas and breads) If "cooking" involves just heating it up, don't eat it. Most of your food should need to be refrigerated or frozen.

My oranges and apples come in a bag. I guess I shouldn't eat them?
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I tried eating Paleo-ish for a while basically as a way of upping my protein intake while having plentiful resources for recipes. Although I I wasn't 100% strict about it I still found it difficult to adhere, somewhat expensive, and found myself constantly thinking about bread and beer and feeling like I failed when I ate non-Paleo . In the end, it was a useful experiment but I found that, for me, I'm better off just focusing on eating more protein.
  • LeenaGee
    edited January 2015
    Options
    We live in modern times and we have to adjust to that. I eat sweet potato and love it and my oranges and apples come in a bag also but my tomatoes, spinach, lettuce, parsley & herbs come straight from my garden.

I agree CloudyMao, Paleo is just a new label on a very old concept - "eat well" So I am certainly not strictly Paleo but I do know for certain my body hates wheat.

Yes tiptoe, I am more of a Mark's Daily Apple kind of person. Much more flexible.

As the above posts show, eating Paleo is hard work at times and certainly a bit of a commitment but it is worth it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Anyone have any feelings on eating Paleo? I've been searching online and getting mixed reviews.. I can get used to getting rid of processed but greens?!? Or any beans?!? Friend me:) I'm always looking for and love giving support!!

Why not just eat a well rounded and balanced diet consisting primarily of nutrient dense whole foods and meals prepared from scratch, whole ingredients. I don't know why there has to be a diet and I really, any diet that actually demonizes whole foods (i.e. legumes) is absurd IMO.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    LeenaGee wrote: »
    We live in modern times and we have to adjust to that. I eat sweet potato and love it and my oranges and apples come in a bag also but my tomatoes, spinach, lettuce, parsley & herbs come straight from my garden.

I agree CloudyMao, Paleo is just a new label on a very old concept - "eat well" So I am certainly not strictly Paleo but I do know for certain my body hates wheat.

Yes tiptoe, I am more of a Mark's Daily Apple kind of person. Much more flexible.

As the above posts show, eating Paleo is hard work at times and certainly a bit of a commitment but it is worth it.

Oh really? How does your body "hate" wheat?
  • LeenaGee
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Why not just eat a well rounded and balanced diet consisting primarily of nutrient dense whole foods and meals prepared from scratch, whole ingredients. I don't know why there has to be a diet and I really, any diet that actually demonizes whole foods (i.e. legumes) is absurd IMO.

Because I can't eat wheat I found that the recipes from Paleo books gave me so many more options in preparing meals so that I could eat a well rounded and balanced diet. I actually don't get the legumes exclusion and ignore it.

Elphie, if I eat wheat, especially bread, I am doubled up with pain a few hours later. I have learnt over the years to avoid it as much as possible.
  • cynthiamm67
    cynthiamm67 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I can tell you how this body hates wheat. I started paleo 7 months ago. I ve lost 50 lbs, but I've also lost my daily stomach aches. That would have been worth it alone. I don't miss grains or potatoes AT ALL. It's easy (at least it was for me) after the first week or so.
  • dpaden25
    dpaden25 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Anyone have any feelings on eating Paleo? I've been searching online and getting mixed reviews.. I can get used to getting rid of processed but greens?!? Or any beans?!? Friend me:) I'm always looking for and love giving support!!

I'm beginning to think the same .. Eat well and in portions! Not sure about giving up legumes!! I thought as long as it grew in the ground or on a tree its as good as it gets!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Too restrictive and unbalanced for me.
  • LeenaGee
    edited January 2015
    Options

I'm beginning to think the same .. Eat well and in portions! Not sure about giving up legumes!! I thought as long as it grew in the ground or on a tree its as good as it gets!

dpaden, and there is nothing wrong with that thinking. Watch your calorie intake, exercise and eat healthy food. :)

Paleo suits me as I needed to get rid of grains.
  • Nekrachael
    Nekrachael Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Funny! "The paleo diet is not set in stone." Makin' me laugh!