Is this rude, or am I just exaggerating the issue

Options

Replies

• itsMcKay
    itsMcKay Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I just quit smoking last week. I'm so glad because I've always had an over-sensitive sense of smell and was brushing my teeth and washing my hands 3-10 extra times a day (after each cigarette). Unfortunately, that just meant I smelled like toothpaste, soap AND cigarettes. There's no getting it out of hair or clothes without washing them, no matter how light a smoker a person is. And the heavier smokers sweat it out. It's an unpleasant smell and many smokers are not oblivious. They're just addicted so they deal with it.

But it's equally as disgusting an odor as someone burping up their lunch while running or wearing too much perfume (noxious!) or obviously re-wearing yesterday's sweaty workout gear or having smelly feet. Yeah, we can smell your nasty feet; wash your damn shoes.

Basically, what I'm getting at is: if it bothers you, move. Or get home gym equipment. Or work out outside away from others. People emit all kinds of nasty odors. Not just smoke. You can either waste time and effort being all butthurt by it or avoid it.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    I hate when people are all up in my personal space... When I'm in line at the grocery store it always seems someone wants to try to crawl into my back pocket... So I've solved the problem.... I quietly take the divider bar, that you place on the conveyor belt behind your groceries and the next person's, and I lay it on the ground a few feet behind me... They get the message to BACK OFF pretty quickly.

I like this.

...for it's ridiculousness.

Would ignore.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I hate when people are all up in my personal space... When I'm in line at the grocery store it always seems someone wants to try to crawl into my back pocket... So I've solved the problem.... I quietly take the divider bar, that you place on the conveyor belt behind your groceries and the next person's, and I lay it on the ground a few feet behind me... They get the message to BACK OFF pretty quickly.

that may be the single most crazy thing i've heard all day.
  • ourtruelovewillneverdie
    Options
    I personally would avoid using a machine next to someone if another one was open. As a smoker and an adult it is my decision to smoke, just like some people choose to overload on spray and that God awful Axe stuff. I'm not oblivious to the fact I smell like a smoker, but it's my choice, so in public I could really give two *kitten* whether someone is bothered or not. I've quit every time I was pregnant and nursing but I always start back up because I want to. I know all the risks and have seen the negative effects of smoking due to the complications my grandfather had from being a life long smoker. I worked in the healthcare field for eight years and I've done my research. It's something that I enjoy and when I stop enjoying it I'll quit. I'm not one to get in someone's personal space anyway if I don't have to. I choose not to smoke in my house and I also am respectful of other's rules on smoking. I don't smoke in public places unless it is a designated zone. Not all smokers are horrible people, they just smell like smokers, which obviously offends tons of people on here. I hate the smell of alcohol and beer and I choose not to drink anymore but I don't chastise anyone who smells like it. God forbid an adult makes their own decisions that doesn't agree with everyone.

Wow. You read way too much into the entire post.

Oh, and just because you're not in ones "personal space" doesn't mean that stale smell of smoke that is emanating from you goes away. Also, I don't think that the smell of smoke offends "tons of people on here. Pretty sure it offends a lot of people.

Who cares if it offends someone? I'm an adult making a legal choice. If someone is offended it is their problem, not mine.
  • cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    A-FREAKIN-MEN! I am sensitive to that scent too! At my gym it gets pretty crowded when I go but I still try to spread out if I can. If someone gets on next to me I assume it is because no other machines are empty but when I go at night when it isn't as busy and someone gets on next to me I keep my pepper spray close (it's on my keys which I keep with me) or I move/switch machines or leave. That's so rude and creepy when people do that!

You carry pepper spray with you in a gym on a treadmill? I don't sense sarcasm, but I'm really hoping this is sarcasm.

• Wronkletoad
    Wronkletoad Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    lolz. careful, guys, we've got an internet badass here who makes LEGAL CHOICES! woah! total tuff gai!
  • Vlaw21117
    Vlaw21117 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I thought this website was a place people came to find encouragement and support others. So instead of empathetic to someone with a health issue that is in a GYM trying to improve themselves you decided it was better to judge her then come to a forum to further degrade this woman. I guess it is true that hurt people hurt people. I guess all those times people looked at your fat rolls with disgust gives you the right look down on others. How dare you and others call people WEIRD and to hell with your social etiquette. I hate cigarette smoke just like most non smokers but that does not give me a license treat others as less than myself. Check your ego because your little 4 miles on treadmill isn't *kitten*!!! Fatties Vs. Smokers how ridiculous.
    Options
    lolz. careful, guys, we've got an internet badass here who makes LEGAL CHOICES! woah! total tuff gai!

If you're referring to me, I never claimed to be a bad *kitten*. I just don't give a *kitten* about what people who mean nothing to me think. There is a significant difference.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options

If you're referring to me, I never claimed to be a bad *kitten*. I just don't give a *kitten* about what people who mean nothing to me think. There is a significant difference.

Ok, but what about those people who mean something to you? What would you say if a family member of yours stopped inviting you over because they couldn't take the way you smell any more or if they asked you to please not smoke before coming over and if you did to please change your clothes before hand? Or asked you to not smoke at all while you were visiting? Would you care about that?

Options

Ok, but what about those people who mean something to you? What would you say if a family member of yours stopped inviting you over because they couldn't take the way you smell any more or if they asked you to please not smoke before coming over and if you did to please change your clothes before hand? Or asked you to not smoke at all while you were visiting? Would you care about that?

My Dad, (a former smoker) tells me to quit every time I smoke because he watched what happened to his own father. I tell him I'll quit when I'm ready and since I'm an adult he respects that. If someone doesn't like smoke or doesn't allow smoking I don't do it. I have a friend who is asthmatic and I make a point to not smoke before heading to see her or smoking while I'm there. As soon as I leave I will smoke. Same goes for my best friend who recently stopped smoking due to getting pregnant. I realized that smoking is hard for some people to stop doing and I do not want to make it any harder on her. I choose to respect others that matter because I want to be respected in return. The general public I just don't care. It's really a simple concept.
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

Yeah, this is in the running for me as well...
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    astrose00 wrote: »

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure they weren't serious.
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Vlaw21117 wrote: »
    I thought this website was a place people came to find encouragement and support others. So instead of empathetic to someone with a health issue that is in a GYM trying to improve themselves you decided it was better to judge her then come to a forum to further degrade this woman. I guess it is true that hurt people hurt people. I guess all those times people looked at your fat rolls with disgust gives you the right look down on others. How dare you and others call people WEIRD and to hell with your social etiquette. I hate cigarette smoke just like most non smokers but that does not give me a license treat others as less than myself. Check your ego because your little 4 miles on treadmill isn't *kitten*!!! Fatties Vs. Smokers how ridiculous.

I must say strong first post! *not sarcasm* (*). you do make a point there.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I was going to post a "NOPE" gif for Vlaw then saw this. I think it sends the right message. I'm not sure what the appropriate audience is, but it's very much the right message.

Nope+nope+nope+i+guess+i+ll+see+you+later+sleepalot_10b062_4248841.jpg
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    astrose00 wrote: »

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure they weren't serious.

I'm not pretty sure. When I'm kidding, I usually throw in an "lol" or some other indicator that my statements are in jest or pure fantasy. No biggie, though.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,520 Member
    Options
    Have any vicks vaporub? Stick a smear of it beneath each nostril.

Y R U TRYING TO KILL THE OP?
    I posted that with the off chance that someone would actually try it... lol.

I used to do that when I was in my kenpo tournament days to keep my head clear.
    Lol, back in the day it was ammonia capsules.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Have any vicks vaporub? Stick a smear of it beneath each nostril.

Y R U TRYING TO KILL THE OP?
    I posted that with the off chance that someone would actually try it... lol.

I used to do that when I was in my kenpo tournament days to keep my head clear.
    Lol, back in the day it was ammonia capsules.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    I went to the pharmacy to ask if they had those, for lifting, right?

Pharmacist said to me, in front of his intern... "What's ammonia?"

I just looked at him and walked away shaking my head.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    A-FREAKIN-MEN! I am sensitive to that scent too! At my gym it gets pretty crowded when I go but I still try to spread out if I can. If someone gets on next to me I assume it is because no other machines are empty but when I go at night when it isn't as busy and someone gets on next to me I keep my pepper spray close (it's on my keys which I keep with me) or I move/switch machines or leave. That's so rude and creepy when people do that!
    Lol, while there might be some creeps out there, most people don't give a hoot about what you're doing or where you are in the gym. It might be the treadmill they love.
    Here's a question:
    If someone came up and said "Hey, do you mind if I use this treadmill?", I'm betting dollars to donuts that most of the "offended" people here would initially say no. Why? Because they don't want to be "rude".

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    edited January 2015
    Options
    There's a lady in my Zumba class who, despite the room being roomy and almost empty, chooses to stand right next to people to the point where shoulders almost touch. Some people just don't understand the personal space concept and those people are quite irritating
    Or they don't know about it. Heck, in my culture practically everyone when meeting at a family party, even for the first time, gives a hug/kiss because it's just what we do. Of course we handle it differently outside of parties, but if someone who's not used to it came in, they may get freaked out a bit.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    Lol, I would have got up close and said "you dropped this."

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png