Comments in the staff room......

Options

Replies

• sweetdixie92
    sweetdixie92 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Mmmm, salad. Am I the only one that genuinely loves salads?

No you're not lol! I often order off the salad menu cause they look so darn delicious. NOT because it's "all I'm allowed to eat".
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    You're being way to sensitive and critical of yourself. They were probably being genuine and if they were seceretly thinking negative things about you, who gives a flying f***?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I wish people could just not make situations awkward by making silly comments. It's lunch. Time to eat. You are eating. No comments needed thanks!
    If you seriously consider complimenting someone's salad to be "making a situation awkward" I'd say the problem is yours. ETA: If you don't want people talking while you eat your best bet is to eat alone.

You are right. I don't understand the need for idle chit chat. Hate it actually. The problem is mine. Some people are more introverted than others and when other people need to comment on every single move we make it makes us feel awkward.

How in the blue hell is someone saying, "hey - that looks good" - while standing next to you in a lunch hall/kitchen/whatever commenting on every single move you make?
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I wish people could just not make situations awkward by making silly comments. It's lunch. Time to eat. You are eating. No comments needed thanks!
    If you seriously consider complimenting someone's salad to be "making a situation awkward" I'd say the problem is yours. ETA: If you don't want people talking while you eat your best bet is to eat alone.

You are right. I don't understand the need for idle chit chat. Hate it actually. The problem is mine. Some people are more introverted than others and when other people need to comment on every single move we make it makes us feel awkward.

Introversion actually means that you create and recharge your own energy instead of pulling it from your environment or getting it from an entirely external source.

I think you may be confusing introverted with shy or socially intimidated. those are not nearly the same thing :flowerforyou:

• yoovie
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

How in the blue hell is someone saying, "hey - that looks good" - while standing next to you in a lunch hall/kitchen/whatever commenting on every single move you make?

this is what I was asking earlier. I cant fathom how so many people think they are surrounded by the blackhearted evildoers who want them to fail or who helicopter them.

the people who are your friends are trying to be supportive and want to see you succeed.

accept their hope and faith and encouragement and add it to your own so you can be stronger against temptation and obstacles.

• NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I have had a few instances of people congratulating me on my "healthy" lunch (I work in a hospital). Now, up until a few months ago? I wasn't counting calories or making an attempt to lose weight. Salads and veggie-stuffed bento are WHAT I LIKE FOR LUNCH. That's just a decades-long habit.

Didn't make me skinny -- just sayin'. (That healthy salad isn't going to do so if you're eating too many other calories -- "healthy" or not!)
  • robinrmcfal
    robinrmcfal Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Sorry to have offended anyone. I understand the OP feelings is all .
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »

Introversion actually means that you create and recharge your own energy instead of pulling it from your environment or getting it from an entirely external source.

I think you may be confusing introverted with shy or socially intimidated. those are not nearly the same thing :flowerforyou:

Thank you.

As an introvert in the workplace, I'm constantly fighting the faulty stigma that I'm shy, reclusive and anti-social, which is why I correct it when I see it.

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I find a do better in life when I stop looking for hidden evil messages and things to be offended by and just let a compliment be a compliment.

:drinker:

• yoovie
    Options
    Mmmm, salad. Am I the only one that genuinely loves salads?

No you're not lol! I often order off the salad menu cause they look so darn delicious. NOT because it's "all I'm allowed to eat".

nooo i loooooooooooooooove salads and inventing new ones and seeing all the pretty colors and textures that go into them - i see them as artwork - i may be an addict from time to time :D

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Am with the sounds completely harmless and why waste your own time being paranoid about it? Thats the way your post comes across.
  • robinrmcfal
    robinrmcfal Posts: 36 Member
    Options

Thank you for the clarification. :)
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    You're paranoid.
  • mhoffman2007
    mhoffman2007 Posts: 10 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    They're making comments now but eventually they'll be asking advise when they notice the weight loss!!!
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    They be jelly of your awesome looking lunch!
    This.

Putting together an awesome salad takes time and work. Most people don't want to bother, even though it looks delicious and sounds good. They probably wish they had one too.

• yoovie
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »

Thank you.

As an introvert in the workplace, I'm constantly fighting the faulty stigma that I'm shy, reclusive and anti-social, which is why I correct it when I see it.

HA! same here!!!!!!

but you seem so outgoing! but you laugh so loud! but you have so many friends!

and on topic, i can understand how introverts may not want their goals to have a lot of outside involvement from people that they dont deem 'part of it', but we can tell the difference between invading our privacy and just being friendly.

i think your coworkers were being friendly and probably working some subliminal trick on their own minds to remind themselves that they want to be eating healthy too right now and salads do actually look lusciousssssssssss

• Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    They're making comments now but eventually they'll be asking advise when they notice the weight loss!!!

But they made NICE comments *smh*
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    JeriAnne84 wrote: »
    tipadoo wrote: »
    I hate it when people comment on my food - annoys me. Keep your nose out of my lunch!

OMG ME TOO. Drives me crazy. Or they ask you what's for lunch. I want to say "human remains" sometime just so they stop asking. Not sure why it bothers me so much, they are just making conversation. I don't like it when the cashier at the grocery store comments on my food either. I guess I'm just grumpy. lol

This bothers me, too! Some cashiers are much chattier than others and I get that it helps pass their time quicker, but for some odd reason I hate when they examine something I'm buying and ask, "Is this good?". I WANT to say, "No, that's why I'm buying it." But, that would make me sound bitchy, so I just smile and nod.

it might be cultural or regional. I live in the south and I chat it up frequently with the cashiers. they will comment on what I'm buying, ask me if it tastes good, (to which I either say yes or, this is my first time to try it, i'll let you know) I love it. I think it's nice - instead of having a b*tchy cashier who will not even smile or say thank you.
    A cashier asked me two days ago when I was buying chives what I use them for/in. I said I make scrambled eggs with butter and crème fraiche and top with chopped chives. He was psyched and said he was going to try it!

I don't think they're judging you. They're just bored.

• darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I've been known to say it but I'll mean it. Sometimes when someone orders salmon salad in a restaurant and I've ordered a burger and chips, I'll actually regret ordering the burger!