Gym Attire for Women

Options

Replies

• MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I havn't worked out regularly in a gym in a few years, but I can say that I generally was not looking at other peoples butts. Even in classes, I was more focused on watching the instructor and not falling over to notice anything about what other people were wearing. And I really I would not give a rats *kitten* if I did see a ladies underwear. The only thing that I would really care about was if I actually saw genitals. And then I would let the person know cuz I'm sure they would be mortified. It's a free country and people can wear whatever the hell they want, as long as they aren't intentionally showing off their bits
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    I have a pair of Lululemon's that I didn't realize were see through for quite some time. The material in the front is more opaque than in the back. I was horrified when I finally noticed. A bunch of their pants were made with this translucent-when-stretched material in 2013.

I think this company was uh, intentionally selling these. I think the outcry was to stop it. hopefully they are off the market.

AND why does the gym tolerate this attire? IMHO i'd look for a more modest facility. I mean, to each his own, but I dont want to see it. Sounds like a meat market.

I'm confused. What is a modest gym? You can see through some of the girls pants at my gym, but very religious/modest women go there as well who are dressed in long sleeves, loose pants, and a skirt.

Anyway, I see crack but not consistently enough to be bothered.

I was thinking that some gyms had dress codes. I have never seen this. But, i am in a smaller town, not as many people.
  • Bri1205
    Bri1205 Posts: 17 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Ugh, the dreaded see-through yoga pants. I am all too aware of this dilemma especially, because I DO have to bend in front of a mirror and check if you can see my panties. I am blessed with a wide booty (of which I'm trying to tone and lift) and no matter the brand of yoga pants I buy, they all seem to show off some skin. I think it has to do with not only the quality of materials, but also the fact that my hips are a lot wider than my waist. Therefore, I'm always contemplating to go up a size and have a layer of the yoga pants at my tummy (so annoying) or have a little bit of stretch around my butt, yet fit snuggly on my waist. Either way, to combat the see-through pants, I never wear thongs with these pants. Lol. Also, I never wear shorty shorts to the gym. My butt cheeks would be hanging out.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I have a pair of Lululemon's that I didn't realize were see through for quite some time. The material in the front is more opaque than in the back. I was horrified when I finally noticed. A bunch of their pants were made with this translucent-when-stretched material in 2013.

I think this company was uh, intentionally selling these. I think the outcry was to stop it. hopefully they are off the market.

AND why does the gym tolerate this attire? IMHO i'd look for a more modest facility. I mean, to each his own, but I dont want to see it. Sounds like a meat market.

I'm confused. What is a modest gym? You can see through some of the girls pants at my gym, but very religious/modest women go there as well who are dressed in long sleeves, loose pants, and a skirt.

Anyway, I see crack but not consistently enough to be bothered.

I was thinking that some gyms had dress codes. I have never seen this. But, i am in a smaller town, not as many people.

I think I've seen some people mention their gym has some kind of dress code too, though I've never seen it.
  • CharleneMarie723
    CharleneMarie723 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Work out harder. Then you won't be bothered with everyone else's business. I am there to torch calories, build muscle, and increase my fitness. Not to judge someone else.
  • motorola10
    motorola10 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Work out harder. Then you won't be bothered with everyone else's business. I am there to torch calories, build muscle, and increase my fitness. Not to judge someone else.

Amen to that!!
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    I don't really care what other people wear, but if I ever manage to get my thighs to an acceptable level of awesomeness, I will wear ALL THE BOOTY SHORTS.
  • bababs89
    bababs89 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I just wear whatever I'm comfortable in (although I hope I'm not wearing anything see through!). I'm at the gym to workoutand I'm more focused on that than checking out what other people are wearing.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »
    it's a gymnasium.

a building or room designed and equipped for indoor sports, exercise, or physical education.

attire worn is for agility, close fitted for safety reasons, sweat wicking, etc.

the people there are thoroughly preoccupied with sports, exercise or other physical activity. Sweaty, focused, consumed with ability and performance and getting better and stronger and fighting the demons in their minds.

It's not a party, not a professional workplace environment, not a runway show or a social venue.

I dont care if you can see my panty lines.

If my pantylines distract you, or if my chest-to-calves black and neon spandex is going to distract you, try turning your brain inwards and focusing really hard on the actual task at hand, the stuff gyms were made for.

Best of luck!

Perfectly said. Women's bodies aren't there to be gawked at, contrary to belief. If people have a problem with gawking, they should get some help for that.

Also - it's really hard to find women's athletic wear that's not close-fitting. Also, why would you want this anyway, the fabric gets in the way.
  • JessMcD86
    Options
    Personally, I test my pants before I wear them, and try to wear dark undies, but the pants get old and worn, and at 5am sometimes, I forget what colour undies I have on and off I got to the gym in black pants and red undies....ah well. I try not to stick my @rse out for everyone to see, but I'm there to sweat it out, lift heaving things and put them back down. I'm not looking for attention (I have my headphones in and focus on form). Then there's the ladies in all matching gear, perfectly straightened hair and perfect make up at 5am... to me, no point wearing make up, it'll just run (I get it if you have come from work)
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I've learned to do the see through check when buying gym pants. But I also try to wear a complimentary pair of underwear when I'm wearing a pair of pants I suspect may have issues.

I love Lulu, and more than Lulu pants being the issue, I've noticed it's the cheap legging type pants that are always see through.
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Honestly, at least as far as the thin pants go, I think it's just that so much of women's work out clothes are made with cheap, low quality materials. That's just based on my experience at the gym and shopping.

I don't know about the short shorts. That's a mystery to me too!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    So much prudence. Many have forgotten the face of the great art that is our bodies. For sadz.
  • tomatoey
    edited January 2015
    Options
    annekka wrote: »
    I've learned to do the see through check when buying gym pants. But I also try to wear a complimentary pair of underwear when I'm wearing a pair of pants I suspect may have issues.

I love Lulu, and more than Lulu pants being the issue, I've noticed it's the cheap legging type pants that are always see through.
    Honestly, at least as far as the thin pants go, I think it's just that so much of women's work out clothes are made with cheap, low quality materials. That's just based on my experience at the gym and shopping.

Yup. Any pair of workout leggings/pants under $80 (CAD) is going to be somewhat ill-fitting or transparent. There just aren't a lot of good options.

Yeah women who can't or don't want to spend 80 bucks on things to sweat in don't have a lot of options.

If you don't like it, don't look. It's not their problem and it's not your business.
  • torvallis
    torvallis Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Yeah women who can't or don't want to spend 80 bucks on things to sweat in don't have a lot of options.

They could wear actual pants to the supermarket.
  • TheMOC
    TheMOC Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

The gym is there to provide equipment to you- equipment and facility.

not regulate people's clothing- if you want that- go to planet fitness.
    Or Saudi Arabia. Lots of modest facilities there.

Also, the OP is one of several reasons why I go commando under the spandex. No VPL for me!

• JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    gifs_171.gif
  • tomatoey
    Options
    torvallis wrote: »

They could wear clown shoes too. Still not seeing how it's your business.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    torvallis wrote: »

They could wear clown shoes too. Still not seeing how it's your business.

I used to shop at a market where the women who shopped there would dress like they were going to a nightclub.

Frickin' Market Basket was awesome.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    Hmm. I guess everyone was happy then.

Yeah I myself dress pretty modestly (when it makes financial sense to, as in, I'm just not paying $80 for damn workout pants).