Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    yoovie wrote: »
    AND an entire outfit fits in your purse. SO you can turn a walk of shame into a fake early morning stumble home the gym.

*cough*

God I miss college, I put so many miles on.

Walk of shame or walk of joy?

bgnsta.jpg
    I've been told I have no shame. lol.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    jdhcm2006 wrote: »
    BFDeal wrote: »
    It is a funny contrast. Most guys at the gym are in shorts and a t-shirt. Most women are in skin tight outfits, the shortest possible shorts, no shirt with just a sports bras if they're slim enough. I think it's just a product of the programming our society has done. In any case you're not going to get a real answer out of anyone. You'll get the stock "I dress this way because it's comfortable."

the athletic tights are becoming vogue for men- I see several of them wearing them at my gym. I think they realize it actually IS comfortable.

shrug- I do think it's quiet possible to be conditioned- what's acceptable and what you find comfortable.

As a woman- most of our clothing IS fitted- so we find it comfortable- we live in it essentially. Men's cloth's- even when properly tailored is not form fitting.

Truth. It's near impossible to find clothing for women that isn't fitted.

outside of sweats... and then it's because "you gave up"

so- WIN WIN
    fitted = *kitten*- you're asking for it
    sweats= you gave up on life and really "let yourself go"

<rolls eyes>

EXACTLY! And in a lot of cases they'll still make an argument to say that sweats means your asking for it.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    It is a funny contrast. Most guys at the gym are in shorts and a t-shirt. Most women are in skin tight outfits, the shortest possible shorts, no shirt with just a sports bras if they're slim enough. I think it's just a product of the programming our society has done. In any case you're not going to get a real answer out of anyone. You'll get the stock "I dress this way because it's comfortable."

the athletic tights are becoming vogue for men- I see several of them wearing them at my gym. I think they realize it actually IS comfortable.

shrug- I do think it's quiet possible to be conditioned- what's acceptable and what you find comfortable.

As a woman- most of our clothing IS fitted- so we find it comfortable- we live in it essentially. Men's cloth's- even when properly tailored is not form fitting.

so- WIN WIN

<rolls eyes>

EXACTLY! And in a lot of cases they'll still make an argument to say that sweats means your asking for it.

you have a vag- you're always asking for it. LOl (not really)
  • dbmata
    Options

so- WIN WIN

<rolls eyes>

"Feed me, Seymour!"
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    To answer: Because if I *just* wore leggings it would be indecent, and I would be one of those oblivious people with my undies showing through! My butt won't catch fire from a layer of clothing.
  • lovetowrite73
    lovetowrite73 Posts: 1,244 Member
    Options
    I would say the solution might be to just work out harder so that your focus Is on yourself rather than on watching other people at the gym.

Folks who have said this or similar must be cardio junkies. We who lift know there are rest periods between sets and, well, the eye wanders. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I would say the solution might be to just work out harder so that your focus Is on yourself rather than on watching other people at the gym.

Folks who have said this or similar must be cardio junkies. We who lift know there are rest periods between sets and, well, the eye wanders. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.
    it's not an excuse considering it's a completely valid statement.
    :D
  • jdhcm2006
    Options

so- WIN WIN

<rolls eyes>

It's funny b/c that's how some people think. Smh.
  • jdhcm2006
    Options

so- WIN WIN

<rolls eyes>

"Feed me, Seymour!"

LMAO!
  • 52cardpickup
    52cardpickup Posts: 379 Member
    Options

I try to keep my eyes on the ceiling at all times. That's me... the one in colonial garb with my eyes rolled back. Super normal. I avoid all gym-related problems this way.
  • jdhcm2006
    Options

I try to keep my eyes on the ceiling at all times. That's me... the one in colonial garb with my eyes rolled back. Super normal. I avoid all gym-related problems this way.

*snort* People in colonial times didn't people watch? Y'all are missing out!
  • rand486
    rand486 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    A proper modern gym has rules that prevent women from showing skin above the ankles or past the wrists.

Ba haha, thank you for this.

OP's post has me mulling how feminist-y I want to be today, and I loved this response.
    yoovie wrote: »
    the people there are thoroughly preoccupied with sports, exercise or other physical activity. Sweaty, focused, consumed with ability and performance and getting better and stronger and fighting the demons in their minds.

It's not a party, not a professional workplace environment, not a runway show or a social venue.

If my pantylines distract you, or if my chest-to-calves black and neon spandex is going to distract you, try turning your brain inwards and focusing really hard on the actual task at hand, the stuff gyms were made for.

This is so much better than I could word it. It drives me insane when guys find out I train (Brazilian Jiu Jitsu) with women, and try to sexualize it.

I am at the gym for fitness, and to learn BJJ. If you are thinking about sex while someone is trying to break your arm, you are there for the wrong reasons!
    Is this done intentionally to catch men? Or do they not realize you can see through their pants when they bend over?

Also, I don't quite get the women that were the super short shorts where the behind is almost hanging out. Is this another method to pull guys at the gym?

People exercise for many reasons. Health, fitness, aesthetics...

While I am not a superficial person myself, nor am I particularly fashionable, it doesn't make me the least bit surprised that some people dress in a way that makes them feel good about themselves.

Consider how anxious many people feel when they go to a gym. They feel weak, not on the same level as the regulars, and lost, as they try to figure out what they're doing. It makes perfect sense that some people are going to re-assert that confidence in ways that you may not understand (or agree with).

For others, it's purely functionality, as you saw in yoovie's post I quoted above. Focus on your gains, and let others train the way they want. Their motives are not yours, and therefore not something you need to concern yourself with.
  • allie_00p
    allie_00p Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I suppose I've never looked closely enough to notice whether others' pants are see-through o_0

I'll have to be more observant next time so I'll know which of my fellow gym-goers are just pretending to put in the hard work and are really only there for man-catching.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Why can't I find these man-catching gym goers?

I'd totes go fundie mormon for that. Sisterwives, holla.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

Speaking to the power of conditioning, I wear tights when I work out in the winter. I wear my gym shorts over them though since no one wants to see a 230lbs guy in a skin tight anything. I do this even though I work out alone in my garage. The weight/fitness range for women wearing skin tight clothing is a lot more flexible. If you're a guy sporting tights you better be ripped or you're in trouble.

Actually I used to wear my football under armour leggings to the gym when I was 240. Only person to complain was my mom before I left. I am far from ripped. More so back then. I am sure people might of complained. NO one to my face though.

Also I used to do long duration of cardio, 60 minutes sometimes 75 minutes on the ellitpitcal, where my nipples would start to bleed. I see nothing wrong with tight fit clothing.
  • jdhcm2006
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

Speaking to the power of conditioning, I wear tights when I work out in the winter. I wear my gym shorts over them though since no one wants to see a 230lbs guy in a skin tight anything. I do this even though I work out alone in my garage. The weight/fitness range for women wearing skin tight clothing is a lot more flexible. If you're a guy sporting tights you better be ripped or you're in trouble.

Actually I used to wear my football under armour leggings to the gym when I was 240. Only person to complain was my mom before I left. I am far from ripped. More so back then. I am sure people might of complained. NO one to my face though.

Also I used to do long duration of cardio, 60 minutes sometimes 75 minutes on the ellitpitcal, where my nipples would start to bleed. I see nothing wrong with tight fit clothing.

This is a genuine questions, I promise: why would your nipples bleed?
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options

so- WIN WIN

<rolls eyes>

squeezes into sweats 4 sizes too small

yay now im hot and crazy

• yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options

when my eyes wander between sets it's cause Im counting weight plates in my head, getting ready to make a beeline for a soon-to-be-free squat rack or otherwise staring into space going over details of some sort or another - or if it's deadlift day - there's nothing happening because my soul left my body.

cant concentrate on anyone but me when Im lifting. too dangerous.

cardio junkies just face forward on one machine though, that might get boring. I dunno - I ran away from indoor cardio with wings on my sneakers.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    No men in tights pic?