Gym Attire for Women

Options

Replies

• mzjenn2u
    mzjenn2u Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Some of my workout pants and capris are kinda see through oops so I make sure I wear dark colored panties. But I also agree that if this truly bothers you then you are in the gym for the wrong reasons. The gym is a place to feel comfortable and get your workout on....not a fashion show, club nor professional work environment. Focus on your workout!!
  • DivaMoe40
    DivaMoe40 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    In some ways, I get it. However, I do believe that some people take it to an unecessary extreme. I, myself choose to wear tank tops and shorts (not too short ;) ) for my weightlifting classes because I need to move freely. But again, I make sure that I don 't look inappropriate. There is a woman at my gym who doesn't wear a bra and sometimes no panties. Granted, I am definitely not looking but it is hard to not notice when she's on the treadmill. I haven't seen her lately; maybe someone reported her.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    yoovie wrote: »
    astrose00 wrote: »
    I used to workout at NY Sports Club in NYC (Grand Central Station). I never had so much T&A in my face than in that lockerroom in the morning. Like nakedness just inches from my face at every turn. It was too close for comfort! I switched to working out at the local branch at night. Not just because of T&A in my grill but because it was hard to get an open cardio machine or strength machine on a consistent basis. I hate spending half my allotted workout time waiting for a machine...

hey that's my gym! :D:D:D

(that location is super crowded b/c bridge and tunnel commuters -_-)

Are the new york B&Ters as "awesome" as the SF ones are?

yes.

• astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I used to workout at NY Sports Club in NYC (Grand Central Station). I never had so much T&A in my face than in that lockerroom in the morning. Like nakedness just inches from my face at every turn. It was too close for comfort! I switched to working out at the local branch at night. Not just because of T&A in my grill but because it was hard to get an open cardio machine or strength machine on a consistent basis. I hate spending half my allotted workout time waiting for a machine...

LOL, then you know I am speaking the truth! Whew! I live in the 'burbs now so I wasn't used to that. I used to live and workout in Queens and it was never that bad. But I really stopped going there because I thought the machines were too worn out.
  • yoovie
    Options
    Sid_Sullen wrote: »
    Flaunt it I say
    2lb1j77.jpg

that's just.. beautiful.

*nods* She looks just like all the superhero women I used to draw in the back of my health book when I would get bored with going through and erasing circles and V's over the strategic areas of all pictures in the rest of it.

LOL!!!!

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    It is a funny contrast. Most guys at the gym are in shorts and a t-shirt. Most women are in skin tight outfits, the shortest possible shorts, no shirt with just a sports bras if they're slim enough. I think it's just a product of the programming our society has done. In any case you're not going to get a real answer out of anyone. You'll get the stock "I dress this way because it's comfortable."

the athletic tights are becoming vogue for men- I see several of them wearing them at my gym. I think they realize it actually IS comfortable.

shrug- I do think it's quiet possible to be conditioned- what's acceptable and what you find comfortable.

As a woman- most of our clothing IS fitted- so we find it comfortable- we live in it essentially. Men's cloth's- even when properly tailored is not form fitting.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

Are the new york B&Ters as "awesome" as the SF ones are?

yes.

that's why we wouldn't go out until about 11:30p on Fridays, because all the B&Ters would flow out of the city before BART would stop running.
  • yoovie
    Options
    there's a guy at my gym who dresses like Zach Galifianakis. Or at least that's how I picture it. shiny green 70s gym shorts. knee socks with stripes. headband. weight belt. giant beard. running in circles pumping himself up and roaring randomly. he pissed me off by over critiquing my deadlift warm up sets and telling me to put more weight on the bar. I didnt judge his fashion til he made that lethal mistake.

everyone else is just in different colors. that's all i see as Im carrying 45s through the walking paths in the iron labyrinth.
  • yoovie
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    It is a funny contrast. Most guys at the gym are in shorts and a t-shirt. Most women are in skin tight outfits, the shortest possible shorts, no shirt with just a sports bras if they're slim enough. I think it's just a product of the programming our society has done. In any case you're not going to get a real answer out of anyone. You'll get the stock "I dress this way because it's comfortable."

the athletic tights are becoming vogue for men- I see several of them wearing them at my gym. I think they realize it actually IS comfortable.

shrug- I do think it's quiet possible to be conditioned- what's acceptable and what you find comfortable.

As a woman- most of our clothing IS fitted- so we find it comfortable- we live in it essentially. Men's cloth's- even when properly tailored is not form fitting.

this is why we can sleep in it the night before, fall out of bed and crawl to the gym without needing fine motor skills.

• FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    Clothing isn't as distracting to me as much as the guys lifting weights and bellowing like a whale. Sometimes I fear they are getting hurt and need help but then it turns out they just like to "exhale" as loud as they can.

When you got something on the bar that is heavy you are going to breath and you might exhale very loud. It happens.

I agree that they might exhale very loud. A funny thing happened to me....I was at the gym working out on the butterfly when a rather tall and big/bulky guy got on the machine next to me. OMG! He was exhaling like there was no tomorrow. I asked my SO to tell me how much weight he had on the machine. LOL! He had 55 pounds - the same as I did! Every time I see him now I have a chuckle! ;)

I was once surprised to see a very big strong guy goto the leg extension machine after me and not change the weight. He was really heaving and I was totally confused. Then I noticed he was doing SINGLE leg extensions and all was right in the world again! Lol
  • JoRocka
    Options

this is why we can sleep in it the night before, fall out of bed and crawl to the gym without needing fine motor skills.

I've tried that before. I still struggle to get up- but yeah- it's much easier to sleep in said things and crawl out the door.
  • yoovie
    Options
    AND an entire outfit fits in your purse. SO you can turn a walk of shame into a fake early morning stumble home the gym.

*cough*
  • avie1453
    Options
    I like to sweat when I work out so I wear long loose pants and 2 long sleeve tops, sometimes even a sweatshirt. I have only see a few women wearing the yoga pants that are too thin...think they just don't realize what they look like.
  • JoRocka
    edited January 2015
    Options
    AND an entire outfit fits in your purse. SO you can turn a walk of shame into a fake early morning stumble home the gym.

*cough*

I just go out in my gym cloths- makes a quick gym trip much easier. efficiency at it's finest.

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

*cough*

God I miss college, I put so many miles on.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

*cough*

God I miss college, I put so many miles on.

Walk of shame or walk of joy?

bgnsta.jpg

• jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options

Truth. It's near impossible to find clothing for women that isn't fitted.
  • JoRocka
    edited January 2015
    Options
    jdhcm2006 wrote: »

Truth. It's near impossible to find clothing for women that isn't fitted.

outside of sweats... and then it's because "you gave up"

so- WIN WIN
    fitted = *kitten*- you're asking for it
    sweats= you gave up on life and really "let yourself go"

<rolls eyes>
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Speaking of tights on men, when I was on vacation in the Dom. Rep., decided to take a stretching class. Now mind you I stretch at least 10 minutes after workout and do 45-60 minutes of yoga once a week, so I'm no novice. The "teacher" lean muscular man wearing tights, very hard to concentrate because his tights were so very tight and his...bulge was so...prominent. Kind of didn't matter that he seemed to not know what he was doing.