People just don't get it...

Options
beavislong
beavislong Posts: 46 Member
edited January 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
My friends were all going to White Castle today(insert any restaurant on any given day) and were giving me grief for not joining them. I looked at the nutrtition and was like no way. It is horrible there. I can eat my homemade low sodium soup, my veggies and my orange and have 5 times as much food for less than the calories of two sliders not to mention the nutrition benefits. They are like well you can run an extra few miles tonight. Yes, I could but I already have 9 miles planned as a part of my marathon training.

Sorry just ranting. Stay vigilant friends!

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I agree. But warning... you will likely get pounced on by the "you HAVE TO eat all foods" people in the room.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Each to their own... I run so I can eat burgers!
  • robinrmcfal
    robinrmcfal Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    People should not try to push you into things. It's like when I had to say no thank you 3 times the other day over donuts. Why is one no thanks not good enough!?
  • Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I love white castle and I'm not overweight. Odd.

Eat what you enjoy and get new friends if it bothers you that they like to eat fast food and would like to spend time with you while enjoying said foods. The fact they are overweight is irrelevant.
  • projecthotbel
    projecthotbel Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Agreed. As long as you are happy and not feeling deprived!
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Sssooo you're never going to go out with friends and family ever again? That's just sad. :\
  • annavalente
    annavalente Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Yeah my work is like that sometimes hahahaha ...everyone heads out for lunch and I hold the fort in work! I dont mind though as I end up saving money and calories for other nice treats I would rather have at home!!
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    Sssooo you're never going to go out with friends and family ever again? That's just sad. :\

Not all ALL what he said, nor what his post is even about.
    OP, good for you for making YOUR choices for yourself. I get where you're coming from on this issue.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    beavislong wrote: »
    My friends were all going to White Castle today(insert any restaurant on any given day) and were giving me grief for not joining them. I looked at the nutrtition and was like no way. It is horrible there. I can eat my homemade low sodium soup, my veggies and my orange and have 5 times as much food for less than the calories of two sliders not to mention the nutrition benefits. They are like well you can run an extra few miles tonight. Yes, I could but I already have 9 miles planned as a part of my marathon training.

Oh and all of the people going are overweight. Wonder why?

Sorry just ranting. Stay vigilant friends!

It isn't about food, it's about friendship. People don't ask you to eat because they want you to eat, but because they want to spend time with you. Tell them that you'll go, but you won't eat because it would mess up what you are doing for training.
  • beavislong
    Options

Eat what you enjoy and get new friends if it bothers you that they like to eat fast food and would like to spend time with you while enjoying said foods. The fact they are overweight is irrelevant.

I love White Castle too. I celebrated my 50k finish last month with Reb Robin. I beleive there is a place for all foods in a diet at the appropriate time.

My point is that these guys know I'm on a mission and continually seem to try to get me not adhere to my plan. They don't care about nutrition or exercise at all. It's like Robin said, I shouldn't have to tell them repeatedly and then be shamed for not eating fast food.

• Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I agree with your friends....
  • Marianna93637
    Marianna93637 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Eating at restaurants is tricky. I went to Chili's and PF Changs, and was shocked by the high calorie items. I realized that the only thing to do is get something that's on the lower end (still probably at least 500) and get half of it boxed up when it comes out, or if you have self control lol, eat half and then box it up. One of the issues is sitting there with friends, chitchatting, the food is sitting there, and even though you ate enough, you end up getting more :(
    I went to a Persian restaurant, there were no calories listed, so I had to estimate it. Interestingly I got full so quickly, that I only at about 1/3 of my food and took the rest home.

As far as your friends. They should understand what you're doing and support you. Maybe once or twice you can suck it up and go with them, and eat something small, but if it's all the time just you compromising, then it's time to find new friends.
  • beavislong
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »

Not all ALL what he said, nor what his post is even about.
    OP, good for you for making YOUR choices for yourself. I get where you're coming from on this issue.

Correct. I never said I wasn't going out to eat with family and friends. My rant is just more about people who even though they are your friends don't seem to support you or your decisions. I hang out with these guys plenty besides going to lunch.

• YorriaRaine
    YorriaRaine Posts: 370 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    You can go to places but not order anthything. Or get something small/healthier on the menu if they have it (not familiar with white castle) and get water on the side. If they give you beef for it just tell them your doing what you can to be healthier and they should (hopefully) respect you for it.

Basically my advice is don't let your journey also take away from your time with friends, eating is a social activity but you dont' necessarily have to eat (or eat to the the degree and foods they are) to still partipate in that social activity.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    beavislong wrote: »

I love White Castle too. I celebrated my 50k finish last month with Reb Robin. I beleive there is a place for all foods in a diet at the appropriate time.

My point is that these guys know I'm on a mission and continually seem to try to get me not adhere to my plan. They don't care about nutrition or exercise at all. It's like Robin said, I shouldn't have to tell them repeatedly and then be shamed for not eating fast food.

If your friends are trying to get you to eat food you don't want to eat (as opposed to merely spending time with you), find some nice way of telling them to mind their own business when it comes to your food. If they don't respond to that, then I guess we have different definitions of "friend." I'd simply stop talking to them.

Commiserate with like-minded folks, by all means, but it's just a band aid. Which is to say, telling us is nice and all, but it doesn't really solve the problem.

• beavislong
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity. Are you overweight or have been overweight?
    Yes, by the books I am still overweight. I have lost nearly 40 pounds in the last few years and 15 in the last three months. I am getting close to an acceptible range. I plan to sport a six pack by the end of summer and qualify for the Boston Marathon.

• beavislong
    Options
    I would agree with anyone who has said about the social aspect. I don't let my journey take all my time away from my friends. I routinely watch sporting events and movies with them. I do occasionally go to lunch with them. I just don't feel like I should be put on a guilt trip everytime I choose not to go to an unhealthy eating establishment. Then again these are the same guys who will make you feel guilty because you are late because you had to pick up your kid from soccer practice or chose to attend your kids soccer game instead of whatever social event they were having.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I take it your not very close to these said "friends", hopefully they don't see the comment you said about them. :|