Gluten Free? Looking for Friends and food ideas

Hello! I was recently diagnosed with Celiac Disease and looking for new food ideas and friends. Anyone else gluten free? The rest of my family is not (husband and 2 kids).

Replies

• MaryCS62
    MaryCS62 Posts: 266 Member
    My daughter was diagnosed celiac 3 years ago. We made a lot of changes to the way we cooked (dinner, mainly, as that was the meal we ate together), so that I wasn't cooking several different meals. The best way to start is by cutting out as many processed foods as you can, to weed out all the hidden sources of gluten. Try to stick to meats/fish, potatos, rice, fruits and vegetables. Only use "simple" seasonings -- sslt, pepper, dried & fresh herbs. Learn to READ labels and of at all feasible, see if you can schedule an appointment with a dietician, but try to find one who really understands celiac.
    Processed gluten free foods have their place, but are expensive and can be hit or miss in terms of quality. Udi's bread is my daughter's preferred brand, with schar rolls & bread crumbs also good for when you need them. If you get gluten free pasta, buy a new colander just for that. We bought new cookware to prevent cross contamination, which is something else to watch out for.
    There's a lot I could tell you, so feel free to friend me & message me privately.
  • nickelp22
    nickelp22 Posts: 35 Member
    Thank you so much! I have meet with a dietician already and she did recommend new cook ware so that is great that you are confirming that since it is a little bit of an expense. I have found the Canyon Bakehouse bread pretty good and the shar pasta I bought but I haven't decided if I like it or not. I have already made mistakes and not been fully aware so I have to make sure I really keep it simple at restaurants in the near future.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    My sister has celiacs and for her at restaurants it's as simple as just asking a few questions like if she gets fries she asks if they are fried in the same oil that they fry their breaded items in. If yes, she skips it. She tells them she has celiacs -- even saying she'll get really sick if she eats anything with gluten or anything that is contaminated -- so that her "special" requests don't seem obnoxious.

She is still in the "trial and error" period as far as buying things like bread which I heard is hard to find a really good gluten free one (she found one but I can't remember the brand. She made stuffing and it tasted just like regular stuffing made with "real" bread).

Anyway, like the previous poster said, beware of hidden gluten. Things like caramel color has gluten, some spices and marinades have it -- soy sauce being one. If you google "hidden gluten" there's a plethora of information on what products have gluten in them.

I don't have celiacs but I have been weaning myself off of gluten. I really don't eat much breads and pastas anyway but I've been more careful and eating more "whole" foods (I actually just picked up a bunch of GF baking stuff at the store today. Now I need to figure out how to make GF bread in my breadmachine). If I "mess up" and have something that has been baked normally -- like the cookies I had over the holiday -- I feel like crap and my stomach is wonky. I did get tested for Celiacs and it was negative but with the way I feel not having it and then how I feel after having it I wonder if I might have a slight sensitivity to it.

Best of luck to you!
  • nickelp22
    Thank you! That is a good tip about the hidden stuff I will check that out. I went to a friend's house for dinner and she made stir fry with soy and didn't believe me that I couldn't have it. I had to google it and show her the ingredients in soy sauce, you wouldn't think about it unless you have to so I totally understand.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    nickelp22 wrote: »
    Thank you! That is a good tip about the hidden stuff I will check that out. I went to a friend's house for dinner and she made stir fry with soy and didn't believe me that I couldn't have it. I had to google it and show her the ingredients in soy sauce, you wouldn't think about it unless you have to so I totally understand.

They do make gluten free soy sauce. My sister takes it with her when she goes to the local hibachi place. They're really good there because they know she has celiacs and prepare her meals separately.

• GemmaM_x
    GemmaM_x Posts: 324 Member
    I was diagnosed with coeliac disease (I'm in the UK) at the start of the year.

Definitely get separate utensils and pots and read up on cross contamination and how to prevent it. Also, if you use a toaster you will need separate ones, or toaster bags for the GF items.

I try to eat as naturally gluten free as possible with the exception of toast in the morning. Lots of meat and vegetables, own seasoning. Seasoning is easy, a small tub and mix the spices. Safe and cheaper :smile:

You can use most standard receipts and exchange the gluten-y flour for GF all purpose usually.

I'm still finding my feet with eating out and tend to search online and go to places I know have gluten free options. I did, however, manage a holiday to Egypt recently and found people were more than willing to help.

If you want more ideas, feel free to add me as my diary is open to friends. Also if you have any questions, I'll be happy to help with anything as I'm only just coming though the other side now.
  • bkerr30
    bkerr30 Posts: 131 Member
    Hi there, I have been gluten free for about three years so I have gone through the trial and error part :D
    I have to admit, it is difficult in the beginning, especially living with a non gluten free family (my husband and son eat gluten) but honestly, 9/10 times I just cook one meal and they don't even notice its gluten free.
    I agree with other posters that Udi's is probably the best commercial bread I have found, they also have pretty good pizza crust (pizza is my most missed "gluten" food!!) Also, Catelli has a gluten free pasta that is a four grain blend that is awesome. You truly can't tell the difference.
    I too bring my own soy sauce to sushi restaurants. The owners are so good about directing the kitchen on any cooking instructions I pass along so I don't get sick.
    I should also mention I am a trained chef so if you have any cooking questions I would be happy to help! Feel free to add me, for some reason MFP is not letting me add ppl right now.
  • nickelp22
    Gx____ wrote: »
    I was diagnosed with coeliac disease (I'm in the UK) at the start of the year.

Definitely get separate utensils and pots and read up on cross contamination and how to prevent it. Also, if you use a toaster you will need separate ones, or toaster bags for the GF items.

I try to eat as naturally gluten free as possible with the exception of toast in the morning. Lots of meat and vegetables, own seasoning. Seasoning is easy, a small tub and mix the spices. Safe and cheaper :smile:

You can use most standard receipts and exchange the gluten-y flour for GF all purpose usually.

I'm still finding my feet with eating out and tend to search online and go to places I know have gluten free options. I did, however, manage a holiday to Egypt recently and found people were more than willing to help.

If you want more ideas, feel free to add me as my diary is open to friends. Also if you have any questions, I'll be happy to help with anything as I'm only just coming though the other side now.

Thank you so much that is awesome I will send you a friend request! Is there a gf flour you like the best? I miss baking stuff I can eat!
  • nickelp22
    bkerr30 wrote: »
    Hi there, I have been gluten free for about three years so I have gone through the trial and error part :D
    I have to admit, it is difficult in the beginning, especially living with a non gluten free family (my husband and son eat gluten) but honestly, 9/10 times I just cook one meal and they don't even notice its gluten free.
    I agree with other posters that Udi's is probably the best commercial bread I have found, they also have pretty good pizza crust (pizza is my most missed "gluten" food!!) Also, Catelli has a gluten free pasta that is a four grain blend that is awesome. You truly can't tell the difference.
    I too bring my own soy sauce to sushi restaurants. The owners are so good about directing the kitchen on any cooking instructions I pass along so I don't get sick.
    I should also mention I am a trained chef so if you have any cooking questions I would be happy to help! Feel free to add me, for some reason MFP is not letting me add ppl right now.
    Oh thank you I miss pizza too, the Shar pasta I tried is OK but you can tell it is different. Do you bake at all with different flour, is there one you like best? I am reluctant to try any pre packaged items I see because they are expensive and might not taste great.
  • bkerr30
    bkerr30 Posts: 131 Member
    Robin Hood has a gluten free flour blend that is pretty good as well as relatively inexpensive. Bobs red mill is decent as well, but really tiny bags. Bobs red mill also has a really good almond flour that I use in a few baking recipes only when but allergies aren't an issue. Not sure where you are from but I find the bulk barn (I'm in Canada) has a really good gluten free blend that is a decent price. Although with being celiac I'm not sure about trusting anything that is scooped from bins...too much risk of contamination.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    edited January 2015
    Hello! I was recently diagnosed with Celiac Disease and looking for new food ideas and friends. Anyone else gluten free? The rest of my family is not (husband and 2 kids).

I was diagnosed with Celiacs Disease about 2 years ago. My husband and 2 children luckily do not have it. I read all labels and if you have a smartphone there are some really good scanner apps that you can download and use to scan the barcodes at the store that will let alert you if the product contains Gluten or not. Also, be careful with over the counter and prescription medications as they could contain Gluten. I had to switch my thyroid med from Synthroid to Levoxyl as the makers of Synthroid could not guarantee that it was Gluten free.
  • nickelp22
    Bkerr30 thanks! I am in the U.S. But we have Bob's Redmill here I will look for Robin Hood but I think I have seen it.

Eileen thanks I never realized that maybe that is why I can't take multivitamins I always got sick...can you recommend a scanner app?

Do you guys ever get a reaction and assume it was from something you had but can't trace it back? I ate at the work caf today and I got sick after I am wondering if they weren't really gluten free.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    edited January 2015
    Bkerr30 thanks! I am in the U.S. But we have Bob's Redmill here I will look for Robin Hood but I think I have seen it.

Eileen thanks I never realized that maybe that is why I can't take multivitamins I always got sick...can you recommend a scanner app?

Do you guys ever get a reaction and assume it was from something you had but can't trace it back? I ate at the work caf today and I got sick after I am wondering if they weren't really gluten free.

I always purchase my multivitamin at Target. Their "up&up" Woman's daily multivitamin are Gluten free and you save 5% on them if you have a Target red card. Eating out is always a challenge and something that I don't do too often as I am always worried about cross contamination. I love to eat at Red Lobster. Whenever I eat there with my family the cook will come out and go over my choices for a Gluten free meal. I haven't gotten sick after eating there yet. Always make sure to ask if the place you are eating at has a gluten free menu.
    The 2 Apps that I use are "Shopwell" and "Fooducate". Both have barcode scanners that work well. Just make sure when you set up your profile that you list Gluten as an allergy.
  • nickelp22
    Thank you that is really helpful!
  • MaryCS62
    MaryCS62 Posts: 266 Member
    I don't know where you live, but there is a group that has "Gluten free food expos" at various big cities across the country. We went to one about 4 months after she was diagnosed. It cost about $20 each, but they had food demonstrations and all kinds of vendors with samples, which helped weed out the good from the okay and the truly bad :smile: ! She got to try a lot of different foods without having to buy whole packages.
    If you can get to one of those, it might be helpful.
  • cleverpun
    cleverpun Posts: 1 Member
    First started a gf diet in 2001 and, believe me, it's much easier these days. Udi's makes a decent sliced bread, as mentioned. My favorite gf pasta is still Tinkayada brown rice spirals. If you cook per the package directions you can't tell the difference.

Regarding baking: you'll need a different blend of gf flours depending on your desired outcome. After over a decade of experimentation with gf flour here are my best tips:

Pizza crust should be about one half tapioca flour and one half a combo of sorghum, rice, gf oat flours. Work the dough as little as you can get away with or it gets very tough (ditto with yeast breads).

Never use tapioca flour in anything you don't want to be chewy. (ie- pie crust).

Quick breads like pancakes, muffins and banana bread can be made entirely with a combo of almond and coconut flours as long as you use the right amount if eggs, fruit and leavening.

Yeast breads will generally require an extra protein or binder (xanthan gum, guar gum, and/or extra egg white).

Rice flour tends to be very chalky so use it somewhat sparingly and always as part of a flour blend. It can have a noticeable metallic taste on its own.

Garbanzo flour has a very strong taste. (I ruined a pot of chicken and dumplings experimenting with it once.) My only useful recommendation for it is to produce a great crispy fried coating on foods you're planning to dip in loud sauces.

Almond flour and coconut flour are generally great for baking sweet things like cakes.

It's good to mix several flours in many cases since most flours have a particular flavor when used solo that may not be desirable.

Here's my favorite all-purpose gf flour blend (cookies and such):

1 part coconut flour
    2 parts almond flour
    1.5 parts sorghum flour
    1-1.5 parts gf oat flour
  • nickelp22
    MaryCS62 wrote: »
    I don't know where you live, but there is a group that has "Gluten free food expos" at various big cities across the country. We went to one about 4 months after she was diagnosed. It cost about $20 each, but they had food demonstrations and all kinds of vendors with samples, which helped weed out the good from the okay and the truly bad :smile: ! She got to try a lot of different foods without having to buy whole packages.
    If you can get to one of those, it might be helpful.

That sounds awesome I am in the North East US. I am not far from some larger cities so I should look in to that.

• nickelp22
    cleverpun wrote: »
    First started a gf diet in 2001 and, believe me, it's much easier these days. Udi's makes a decent sliced bread, as mentioned. My favorite gf pasta is still Tinkayada brown rice spirals. If you cook per the package directions you can't tell the difference.

Regarding baking: you'll need a different blend of gf flours depending on your desired outcome. After over a decade of experimentation with gf flour here are my best tips:

Pizza crust should be about one half tapioca flour and one half a combo of sorghum, rice, gf oat flours. Work the dough as little as you can get away with or it gets very tough (ditto with yeast breads).

Never use tapioca flour in anything you don't want to be chewy. (ie- pie crust).

Quick breads like pancakes, muffins and banana bread can be made entirely with a combo of almond and coconut flours as long as you use the right amount if eggs, fruit and leavening.

Yeast breads will generally require an extra protein or binder (xanthan gum, guar gum, and/or extra egg white).

Rice flour tends to be very chalky so use it somewhat sparingly and always as part of a flour blend. It can have a noticeable metallic taste on its own.

Garbanzo flour has a very strong taste. (I ruined a pot of chicken and dumplings experimenting with it once.) My only useful recommendation for it is to produce a great crispy fried coating on foods you're planning to dip in loud sauces.

Almond flour and coconut flour are generally great for baking sweet things like cakes.

It's good to mix several flours in many cases since most flours have a particular flavor when used solo that may not be desirable.

Here's my favorite all-purpose gf flour blend (cookies and such):

1 part coconut flour
    2 parts almond flour
    1.5 parts sorghum flour
    1-1.5 parts gf oat flour

This is really helpful thank you! I love to bake with my children so this will be helpful over the holidays I tried some flourless recipes I found online but they were dry and crumbly. We make a lot of cookies and muffins.

I was originally diagnosed in college (about 13 years ago) and was told by the GI doctor no white flour and you will be fine. So like a 22 year old would I tried for a few moths and it was hard and expensive and not helpful so I gave up and totally forgot about it. Then I got sicker this past year and was reminded of the original diagnosis. So when I started again it was much easier and better than in 2002.

I have seen Canyon Bakehouse you can set up deliveries for your products. I like their bread anyone ever try that?
  • ToddPa12
    ToddPa12 Posts: 61 Member
    My wife was diagnosed with Celiacs last year and it's been a challenge, so my sympathy goes out to you. We have a number of recipes and foods that we compiled from family members who also have food allergies.

Pending on your allergy severity, you may also have to watch makeup as well. My wife found that she wasn't getting much better after changing her diet only to find out that makeup also contains gluten products in them. she changed her makeup and she has been pretty much symptom free for over 6 months now.

Also don't be afraid that you may gain some weight after the diet change as your system was not soaking up the nutrients it needed through small intestines. Most Gluten free products also seem to carry more calories being made from rice flour, etc.

Just a little FYI so you're not too shocked. Good luck on your journey!
  • nickelp22
    Thank you Todd! I have notice some of the food are more calorie dense I didn't make the rice flour connection though. I have skin issues so that make up tip is helpful too!