Cardio vs Weights

Options
TLB86
TLB86 Posts: 275 Member
Help and advice on my weekly exercise. How much cardio is REALLY needed?!

My current workout regime is:

Mon - 200 cals on Stairmaster, 45mins Boxfit
Tues- Rest
Wed - 200 cals on Stairmaster, 45 mins Spin
Thurs - 80ish mins cardio (either Jogging/Spin or a mixture)
Fri - Rest
Sat - 600 cals cardio (mixture), 20mins weights (biceps, push-ups, lateral, abs 3etc)
Sun - Rest or 45 mins Spin

Would you suggest I need to get more weight training in to burn fat and lose inches?
Would you suggest this instead of the extra 200 cals I get in (in bold)?
OR would you think the amount I do is fine?

I am already in a deficit and have alright eating habits.

Thanks in advance o:)

Replies

• fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Not sure what the issue is
  • Widadita
    Widadita Posts: 176 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    You're doing too much cardio sweetie, and way less strength weight. You should do weights 3 times a week, every day should include different muscles, don't do them all in one day. 20 minutes should be fine, 3 times a week. + 40 minutes cardio 5 times a week.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Widadita wrote: »
    You're doing too much cardio sweetie, and way less strength weight. You should do weights 3 times a week, every day should include different muscles, don't do them all in one day. 20 minutes should be fine, 3 times a week. + 40 minutes cardio 5 times a week.

^This^
  • earlyxer
    earlyxer Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Many MFPer's are not going to like this.......but.... cardio is a terrible way to try to lose weight. I know it's been drummed into our skulls since we were kids but there's no proof that it works. Let me put it this way: imagine you were from Mars, and suddenly put on earth in human form. Out-of-shape, overweight human form. You walk into a gym and on your left were all the treadmills and ellipticals and on your right were the free weights. You look at all the people walking/running on the treadmills and then at all the people doing presses, deadlifts, and pullups. Which group is in better shape? Which group has less bodyfat and more muscle? Among which group would you want to count yourself as a member?

Try this: Google "marathon runner" and look in images - is that how you want to look, like a skeleton? Because the marathon runner is the epitome of long-duration cardio. I never do cardio and I think the results speak for themselves. I use calorie control to maintain body fat percentages and strength train to create lean mass, and I'm 51.

Whenever I feel the need to burn some calories - I just lift weights faster.
  • TLB86
    Options
    Cool, so would me sticking to my classes for cardio and changing my spare 20 mins before the class to weights be better? There is also a body pump class I available on a Monday after Boxfit I could do (squats, lunges, abs, triceps etc).

Also what would people suggest if I shouldn't be doing all over workouts?
    E.g. What would the 3 different days consist of? ( I know I should ask someone at the gym just thought I'd search here first)

The issue is that I want to lose a dress size not just weight and heard that weights burn fat more than cardio. I'd like to be down a size by May if that's possible.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend replacing some of your cardio with a full body progressive loading strength training program. Starting Strength is good.
  • TLB86
    Options
    Looks like I'll being Googling a good weights programme on lunch then.

Is it so bad to workout all muscle groups? Or are there any groups that go together?
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I feel like there are two camps - you got the cardio junkies and you got the weight lifters. youll get different opinions from both. I am a cardio nut - I run 6 days a week but I have to do strength training to make me a better runner. But I admit, its boring to me. But 3 times a week for half an hour is what I do and I run 40 minutes a day 6 days a week.
    -
    - That works for me though. Find a fitness programme that you will stick to and go with it.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    TLB86 wrote: »
    Help and advice on my weekly exercise. How much cardio is REALLY needed?!

It completely depends on your goals!
    Surely you have fitness or strength goals as well as "burn fat, lose inches"?
    Which comes from a consistent calorie deficit not from your choice of cardio or weights.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I feel like there are two camps - you got the cardio junkies and you got the weight lifters. youll get different opinions from both. I am a cardio nut - I run 6 days a week but I have to do strength training to make me a better runner. But I admit, its boring to me. But 3 times a week for half an hour is what I do and I run 40 minutes a day 6 days a week.
    -
    - That works for me though. Find a fitness programme that you will stick to and go with it.

^^ I agree, I do strength not because I really enjoy it but I like the results and I know its good for me overall, muscles keep burning calories all day not just in the moment like cardio does, but I love to run. Its finding something you love doing and being consistent that gets results :)
  • pinguemcecidero
    pinguemcecidero Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    A great resource I have found is reddit.com/r/xxfitness (geared towards women) or reddit.com/r/fitness. They have great FAQs and a good list of programs to choose from.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    At the end of the day, if you don't like it, you are not going to do it. Do the cardio you love to do. However, you do need to add some other strength training that is not the stairmaster.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    earlyxer wrote: »
    Many MFPer's are not going to like this.......but.... cardio is a terrible way to try to lose weight. I know it's been drummed into our skulls since we were kids but there's no proof that it works. Let me put it this way: imagine you were from Mars, and suddenly put on earth in human form. Out-of-shape, overweight human form. You walk into a gym and on your left were all the treadmills and ellipticals and on your right were the free weights. You look at all the people walking/running on the treadmills and then at all the people doing presses, deadlifts, and pullups. Which group is in better shape? Which group has less bodyfat and more muscle? Among which group would you want to count yourself as a member?

Try this: Google "marathon runner" and look in images - is that how you want to look, like a skeleton? Because the marathon runner is the epitome of long-duration cardio. I never do cardio and I think the results speak for themselves. I use calorie control to maintain body fat percentages and strength train to create lean mass, and I'm 51.

large_09-Boston-19.jpg

i don't understand why she says does a bunch of different kinds of cardio, and you immediately go to the extreme of "marathon runner." OP isn't even close to doing the kind of endurance running that is necessary for marathon training.

and maybe don't insult an entire group like endurance athletes saying that they look like skeletons and that people doing weight lifting are in better shape.
  • TLB86
    Options
    [/quote]

^^ I agree, I do strength not because I really enjoy it but I like the results and I know its good for me overall, muscles keep burning calories all day not just in the moment like cardio does, but I love to run. Its finding something you love doing and being consistent that gets results :)[/quote]

See I do love doing weights but always thought it's cardio that shift the lbs and fat. Until the other day when I was told a lot that weight training shifts fat.

I understand there are so many opinions out there and what works for some doesn't or isn't enjoyable for the rest. All your advice is appreciated though o:)

I might pick up on doing the bodypump class after Boxfit and up the weights on Wednesday after Spin. That way I was Mon, Wed & Sat doing weights.

• _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    So you're doing all cardio except for 20 minutes a week? 20 minutes a week of strength most likely is of no benefit to you. You might as well skip it.

My advice is to reduce the cardio and replace some of it with more strength training, preferably about 30 minutes 3x per week (or more). And I suggest lifting heavy (for you) using compound lifts with free weights. Squats, deadlifts, bench press, overhead press, bent-over rows, etc. There's no reason for you to be doing isolation lifts like bicep curls at this point.

As for how much cardio is NEEDED - none. Weight loss happens in the kitchen; exercise is for your health. It's ideal to have a good balance of cardio and strength in your workout routine. Cardio keeps your heart and lungs in good shape, and so does strength training, but strength training also helps you retain the muscle you have while you lose weight.
  • Capt_Apollo
    edited January 2015
    Options
    -

^^ I agree, I do strength not because I really enjoy it but I like the results and I know its good for me overall, muscles keep burning calories all day not just in the moment like cardio does, but I love to run. Its finding something you love doing and being consistent that gets results :)

this is only partially correct. yes, a strength training exercise might keep you burning calories long after you've left the gym, but in that one hour of training you only burned 300 calories max. when you run, you can burn up to a 1,000 calories in an hour, but your body does slowly come back to normal afterwards.
  • Capt_Apollo
    edited January 2015
    Options

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    "See I do love doing weights but always thought it's cardio that shift the lbs and fat. Until the other day when I was told a lot that weight training shifts fat."

I hope whoever told you that was talking in shorthand because it's a pretty dumb statement as it stands on its own without reference to calorie balance.
    I guess they have never seen a fat power lifter or strongman competitor!

LOL at the cardio equals skeletal marathon runner BTW!
    I do endurance cardio (cycling) and strength training but can't recall ever being called skeletal.
  • jonjhayden
    jonjhayden Posts: 165 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    earlyxer wrote: »

I agree with most of what is said here. I believe weight training is important. However, I take exception to the part of the post that is underlined. "No proof"? That is a rather strong statement. Please refer to this study. http://jap.physiology.org/content/113/12/1831. I think this study lends some significant support to the possibility that cardio does work for losing weight.

I believe the most effective method of weight/fat loss (that is sustainable) includes both cardio and strength training. I know that Dr. Robert Huizenga has done some pretty significant research into the effectiveness of an exercise regime that includes both cardio and strength training for the loss of fat.

So to OP my suggestion is to increase your strength training, but do not remove cardio from your exercise regime.
  • TLB86
    Options
    Sorry I didn't mean to raise this to become a debate.

I understand now that I DO need to up my weight training as well as keep my cardio as yes there are fat strong men (boy can they lift though!) hence weights doesn't = complete fat loss but there are also weak skinnies.

I want to sit nicely between so I can be a nice size 12 (currently 16) that can give the hulk a run for his money lol.

So it's 4 x cardio (my classes) AND 3 x weight training increasing the weight as it gets easier